HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast

Old Posted Apr 25, 2009, 7:42 PM

Yes, and it's a bit of an odd location to begin with. I'm going by memory, but I think it was maybe 1990-ish that the Rice Mine/McFarland intersection was redone to create the loop.

I'm guessing if they decide to do something there in the future, they'll have to go back through zoning, etc.

I know that a lot of the neighborhood association types in Tuscaloosa District 3 (pretty much the part of the city north of the river) are generally opposed to hotels, multi-family, and large-scale retail developments in this part of the city, because of traffic concerns.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2009, 7:48 PM
Cat Enthusiast

It appears that they're doing some type of renovation to the Marr's Spring Park at the corner of Marr's Spring Road and Campus Drive. I'm glad they're doing this, that park is quite beautiful, and a pleasant place to take a stroll.

SSP Alabama Universities: Alabama - UAB - Alabama State

Old Posted May 2, 2009, 9:46 PM

I just got back from walking around campus, and yes, it appears they're redoing the sidewalks around Marr's Spring (and extending the sidewalk around the pond). I'm glad to see long-neglected sites like that and Foster getting new life. The water supply from Marr's Spring had a lot to do with the original siting of the university campus.

Old Posted May 3, 2009, 2:44 AM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DruidCity View Post
I just got back from walking around campus, and yes, it appears they're redoing the sidewalks around Marr's Spring (and extending the sidewalk around the pond). I'm glad to see long-neglected sites like that and Foster getting new life. The water supply from Marr's Spring had a lot to do with the original siting of the university campus.
I just wish that they would repair the fountain structures at the spring. It's very depressing to walk through that park and just see the water seeping under the brick.

Old Posted May 7, 2009, 9:03 PM

New PARA activity center going up. This is almost out in the boonies - doesn't really make sense.

http://www.tuscaloosanews.com/articl...r-in-Northport

Infrastructure work going on downtown on Univ. Blvd and 21st Ave.

http://www.tuscaloosanews.com/articl...take-10-months

Old Posted May 7, 2009, 9:33 PM

Quote:
New PARA activity center going up. This is almost out in the boonies - doesn't really make sense.
I agree. It crosses me that the county commissioner says he wants more "growth" out there in the sticks. Using park facilities to try to subsidize sprawl ?
It also pisses me off that they try to justify this $10.5 million facility by claiming that 24,000 people live within a 5-mile radius, and that it will be convenient for people in Fayette and Pickens Counties. The user fees at PARA activity centers just partially defray the operating costs, but won't dent the construction costs of the facilities. This is Tuscaloosa money, and the convenience of surrounding counties should have had no bearing on the location, unless those counties wanted to bear some of the cost.

Meanwhile, there is no such facility serving the downtown Tuscaloosa/Northport area, where a whole lot more people live within 5 miles . When the city of Tuscaloosa wanted to build a downtown Civic Center for around $20 million, it was deemed "not feasible," even though the City of Tuscaloosa already owns the land where it would've gone,
yet these PARA gyms in outlying areas cost even more than that, are money pits, and provide much less service to the community.

Quote:
Infrastructure work going on downtown on Univ. Blvd and 21st Ave.
I see that as necessary, but wonder if businesses will die on the vine while waiting for this extended "revitalization" construction to finish ?
Spiller Furniture is closing its big location in the old Kress building, and I've noticed some recent closings in Temerson Square (Ken's Pizza, Edelweiss Bakery - though that one supposedly will reopen in a month or two, New Orleans Bar & Grill, etc). On the bright side, it does appear that the new Chicago-style hot dog place downtown is getting ready to open this month.

Old Posted May 7, 2009, 10:10 PM
Cat Enthusiast

I think those future parks will be in some good locations. Those are, afterall, the most high growth areas in the city at the moment. I think it's a good idea that they're going ahead and putting these in place so that they will help sustain the growth.

Also, I've been wondering for a LONG TIME, what's going on with Warrior Loop?

Old Posted May 10, 2009, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alabadrock View Post

Also, I've been wondering for a LONG TIME, what's going on with Warrior Loop?
I have not heard of anything on that front, and I've kept my eyes peeled for news. I've driven on the northwest loop, the so-called Rose Blvd., a couple of time and it's usually pretty empty. However, there are already subdivisions going up directly beside the road, the sprawl is getting started already.

All I know, is that we could use a southern loop down on this side of the city. Highway 69 is heavily congested during rush hour.

Old Posted May 10, 2009, 12:23 AM

It seems like the McWright's Ferry/Rice Mine connection and the Warner Pkwy interface with the railroad trestle near the planned amphitheater have leapfrogged the eastern bypass. There was also some plan to extend a road roughly from Sokol Park to Tuscaloosa County High, but I haven't heard anything about that in a long time.

I notice that Mayor Maddox does still mention the eastern bypass as a priority, though :http://www.waltmaddox.com/infrastructure2.html

Quote:
All I know, is that we could use a southern loop down on this side of the city. Highway 69 is heavily congested during rush hour.
The area planning organization does include a "southwest loop" in the long-range transportation plan, but I don't know how many of their proposed roads will actually get built :
http://www.warc.info/wapdcdoc.php

Old Posted May 15, 2009, 4:04 AM

University of Alabama growth

I agree that the growth in enrollment has been great for the UA. It has helped soften the blow from the economic downturn for sure. But with all of the various junior colleges, and other universities, both private and public, in this medium sized state, I just don't know if the UA enrollment would be able to be too much more than 28,000 unless the quality of the average student improves. If UA can grow to 35,000 or larger and increase the quality of its student body, then I am all for it. But if it cant, then it will not allow UA's academic ranking to continue to rise, thus making it harder for UA to hire the best faculty and enroll increasing numbers of the "best and brightest" students.

Last edited by atlanta68; May 18, 2009 at 12:10 AM.

Old Posted May 15, 2009, 4:27 AM
Cat Enthusiast

The quality of the student body has definitely been increasing, as have the university's program rankings.

So far, the growth has really benefited the school itself, because it's brought a lot of students into some really unrepresented programs. So far, I think the growth is some good growth. Hopefully, it stays that way.

Old Posted May 18, 2009, 12:17 AM

I would agree that the growth in enrollment has coincided with growth in quality, until possibly this year. I noticed that UA did not publish their ACT average for Fall 2008, unlike they have done every year in the past when the average increased year to year. The ACT 25/75 range is still 21-27, which is lower than most prominent schools, including Auburn's 23-28. UA is now enrolling the greatest number of students with ACT scores of 30 and above, however, it is also enrolling far too many students with ACT scores of 21 or less, which pulls down the average score. UA would be ranked even higher if it tightened its admissions standards even more. Dr. Witt has said that UA would raise its admissions standards now that UA is about to enroll his goal of 28,000.

Old Posted May 18, 2009, 4:46 PM

Looks the bad economy is what is holding up the sale of Tuscaloosa Housing Authority's Delaware Jackson Apartments to a private developer.

http://www.tuscaloosanews.com/articl...state-of-limbo

Old Posted May 20, 2009, 11:46 PM

Breaking news. The McFarland family has sold their McFarland Mall to an undisclosed buyer for an undisclosed amount. (My bet is on noted Tuscaloosa developer Stan Pate.)

http://www.tuscaloosanews.com/articl...-has-been-sold

Old Posted May 21, 2009, 1:22 AM
Cat Enthusiast

I'm betting that they're gonna tear it down and build somethin nice Please please please please

Old Posted May 21, 2009, 2:48 AM

I'm hearing that the plans are to indeed tear down the mall. What he builds in its place I have no idea. Could be a glorified strip mall like the Colonial developments, something a bit better like the Summit. A pipe dream would be something like Bridge Street in Huntsville. I hope it isn't more damn gameday condos.

Old Posted May 21, 2009, 3:20 AM
Cat Enthusiast

I'd like to see some taller buildings in that area.

Old Posted May 21, 2009, 5:45 PM

Here's the full story. Pate admits to being the buyer, but he says he has no immediate plans for the property.

http://www.tuscaloosanews.com/articl...EWS/905209964/

Old Posted May 22, 2009, 6:04 PM

Some minor stories.

First, all construction bids for the amphitheater project came in above budget. City leaders will go through the bids and the budget to see what they can pare down.

http://www.tuscaloosanews.com/articl...NEWS/905219896

Second, Northport is undergoing a project to redo the intersection of 5th St and Main Ave downtown to make it more pedestrian friendly.

http://www.tuscaloosanews.com/articl...EWS/905219938/

Old Posted May 27, 2009, 7:33 PM

Developers to outline plans for condo.

http://www.tuscaloosanews.com/articl...NEWS/905269911

UPDATE: Plans approved by Zoning Board. This is not the Dynasty Park project, but one that would be adjacent to it. The developers of Dynasty Park are not happy about this, but the Wallace Wade condo project develops say they doubt if Dynasty Park will even come to fruition in this economy.

http://www.tuscaloosanews.com/articl...EWS/905279962/

Last edited by ttownfeen; May 28, 2009 at 3:14 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast