HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Sports & Outdoor Recreation

Old Posted Apr 21, 2021, 7:39 PM
Community Guy

Formula E coming to Vancouver???

City of Vancouver to consider hosting Formula E car race
Kenneth Chan

Nearly two decades after Vancouver saw its last Molson Indy, a form of this urban car race festival could return in July 2022, but there is a major difference: it would use quiet, zero-emission, battery-electric cars.

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/form...uver-race-2022

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Apr 21, 2021, 7:54 PM

Audi & BMW just left. The streets are all **** and need to be repaved. The sound of the cars are a high pitched squeal that is equally annoying.

If they can host a race and not end up paying for anything that's the only way I would consider it. Indy had a brand that attracted people to the city. You can't just instantly grant that kind of goodwill towards a new race series.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2021, 11:13 PM

With all the deveopment around SEFC, there probably isn't enough space for the track. They'd have to revert to the older layout around BC Place, but the former Terry Fox Way was closed when the Parq was built and they moved eastwards because of all the condo development further west of BC Place.
They also can't expand to the east or south as that would close Main or West 2nd Ave.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2021, 11:17 PM

Could be cool. Audi and BMW leaving doesn't really matter. It's a completely different racing series. In other racing series you build your cars. In FE the vehicles are largely the same so from a manufacturer perspective it is more a tech test for motors, inverters, etc. Audi and BMW are old-school gas engine car producers.

I mean look at F1. 5 out of 10 constructors don't actually make cars in the real world.

That said, they'd definitely need the roads paved a bit, and I fear Vancouver residents are ridiculous when it comes to sound. The arguments against Indy back in the day were so dumb given people live in a major metro area and they seemed to make it out as though it should be as quiet as a side road in Chilliwack 24/7.

I believe Formula E races are all on 1 day though which is different than Indy of the past where it was a 3 day event and the cars are about as loud as the SkyTrain running right next to the track. Could be good. I think it is a stupid spot if Vancouver is getting rid of the viaducts because the whole plan for getting rid of the viaducts involves shoving a majority of the traffic through that specific area whereas with the viaducts in place you could bypass it entirely. + major hospital going in right there so I think it would be a logistical nightmare.

Personally I think they should just do it at Stanley Park, around the Brockton Oval or something like that. That loop is about 2.5km which is around what a Formula E track length is typically.

Would be away from people in high rises complaining about "loud noises in a major city ZOMG!", wouldn't muck around with traffic because Vancouver seems to be telling people they can remove road lanes from Stanley Park in favor of bicycles and "shut up it's all good people" and it is Formula E... super Green and eco friendly so have this nice park background with joggers, mountains, and ocean in the background. I mean if they're going to get rid of the aquarium, need to have some reason to go to Stanley Park once a year other than to see a hundred Canada geese attacking people and pooping everywhere while dodging 20 bocce tournaments right?

So I vote for Stanley Park track. Then again I'm some jerk that lives in Surrey.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2021, 11:23 PM

Bring it! Would bring some excitement and fun back to the city, and for the most part, it would be fairly cheap to run with very little in terms of infrastructure to build.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2021, 11:54 PM
Community Guy

Downtown to Cypress' parking lot and back.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Apr 21, 2021, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhausner View Post
Could be cool. Audi and BMW leaving doesn't really matter. It's a completely different racing series. In other racing series you build your cars. In FE the vehicles are largely the same so from a manufacturer perspective it is more a tech test for motors, inverters, etc. Audi and BMW are old-school gas engine car producers.

I mean look at F1. 5 out of 10 constructors don't actually make cars in the real world.

That said, they'd definitely need the roads paved a bit, and I fear Vancouver residents are ridiculous when it comes to sound. The arguments against Indy back in the day were so dumb given people live in a major metro area and they seemed to make it out as though it should be as quiet as a side road in Chilliwack 24/7.

I believe Formula E races are all on 1 day though which is different than Indy of the past where it was a 3 day event and the cars are about as loud as the SkyTrain running right next to the track. Could be good. I think it is a stupid spot if Vancouver is getting rid of the viaducts because the whole plan for getting rid of the viaducts involves shoving a majority of the traffic through that specific area whereas with the viaducts in place you could bypass it entirely. + major hospital going in right there so I think it would be a logistical nightmare.

Personally I think they should just do it at Stanley Park, around the Brockton Oval or something like that. That loop is about 2.5km which is around what a Formula E track length is typically.

Would be away from people in high rises complaining about "loud noises in a major city ZOMG!", wouldn't muck around with traffic because Vancouver seems to be telling people they can remove road lanes from Stanley Park in favor of bicycles and "shut up it's all good people" and it is Formula E... super Green and eco friendly so have this nice park background with joggers, mountains, and ocean in the background. I mean if they're going to get rid of the aquarium, need to have some reason to go to Stanley Park once a year other than to see a hundred Canada geese attacking people and pooping everywhere while dodging 20 bocce tournaments right?

So I vote for Stanley Park track. Then again I'm some jerk that lives in Surrey.
Yeah when BMW and Audi joined Formula E they were peeing themselves and then when they leave they don't care. Yeah that's believable.

People only went to watch Indy because it was loud and for the beer.

And go look at how much Montreal spent on their little experiment with Formula E.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2021, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
Downtown to Cypress' parking lot and back.
Ha not bad.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2021, 12:18 AM

I don't really care but can vouch for the Stanley Park idea. I just think it is too windy to Make for a decen race track?

Old Posted Apr 22, 2021, 1:01 AM

Must be Go-Karts.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2021, 2:07 AM

Quote:
I'd argue that if the City can shut down Broadway or Main for half a weekend, they can probably do the same for Pacific without consequence.

Quote:
I mean if they're going to get rid of the aquarium...
Source? Parks Board and econazis aside, I don't see anybody who wants the Aquarium gone - and Herschend's definitely not selling anytime soon.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2021, 2:21 AM

Last time you ever heard anyone talk about Formula E and how excited they were to see a race in Vancouver.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2021, 2:30 AM
Ferris Wheel Hater

I'd put the odds of this happening about the same as the dailyhive becoming a legitimate source for news.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2021, 3:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlousa View Post
I'd put the odds of this happening about the same as the dailyhive becoming a legitimate source for news.
No kidding. How can anyone in this city honestly expect this to happen when the war on cars here is formal policy?

Maybe the SOF would consider hosting this?

Old Posted Apr 22, 2021, 4:26 PM

Is anybody else struggling to make sense of the proposed track? On the north side of the Creek the route seems to replace the Creekside Park that Concord spent some time and money constructing - so this event would presumably require it to be removed, and then replaced. They acknowledge that some Quebec Street parkade entrances would be cut off, but as we all know, Citygate residents are totally chill with anything that disrupts their lives - or their view.

What totally makes no sense is the southern route through the Olympic Village. There's a track from Quebec to Salt Street, (the western part seems to follow Walter Hardwick Ave), then a loop north through the square, and back eastwards to Quebec along Athletes Way. In reality there are Concert buildings completed where the Quebec to Salt route is shown, and then the OV building with London Drugs would be cut off in an island, and there's no direct route eastwards back to Quebec because Concert are already building Tesoro there. They would have to build some sort of road across the existing park space to make that possible.

As the East Park is supposed to be developed in a couple of years, and is already being designed, this could only be a one-off event in 2022 anyway - at least using the track suggested (assuming there is some way they can actually create a track). It would be very surprising if the costs involved in removing and putting back Creekside Park, and creating, and then removing all that temporary blacktop (as well as all the grandstands etc) would really be viable.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2021, 5:09 PM

That's the Indy 500 track from the Nineties. Logically, a Formula E track would have to be considerably different.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2021, 5:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migrant_Coconut View Post
That's the Indy 500 track from the Nineties. Logically, a Formula E track would have to be considerably different.
Got it; thanks. The caption was so small I missed it. They'll be hard pressed to find a route that works, given all the changes since the Indy.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2021, 5:30 PM

Also doubt it happens but would be pretty cool. I'd buy a ticket to watch.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2021, 6:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svlt View Post
Also doubt it happens but would be pretty cool. I'd buy a ticket to watch.
Or ride the skytrain back and forth to watch like back in the days: much better deal.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2021, 12:06 AM

Recent highlights of the E-Prix in Rome

Video Link

Does it have to be down in that area around False Creek? Can they suggest somewhere else?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Sports & Outdoor Recreation