HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted May 25, 2012, 6:44 AM

they had a $25,000 watch on their website, i never saw one in store though

their black sheep label i think its called is really nice and very fashion oriented - the regular stuff is a little too preppy for my liking

Old Posted May 25, 2012, 2:19 PM
effete latte-lifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post

their black sheep label i think its called is really nice and very fashion oriented - the regular stuff is a little too preppy for my liking
Brooks Brothers is the official clothing supplier of the Yale College Republican crowd, afterall.

Old Posted May 25, 2012, 8:59 PM
not a NIMBY

DJ's Market at 46 X 11 SE is open for the season. They have paved the floor and bought some new shopping carts, but since the whole place is on a slant, you have to secure your cart or it will wander away in a hurry.
Although it is a produce market, they sell Hutterite bread, pies, and pickles, and probably other products will be available throughout the summer.
The cashier told me I would be back to buy more heirloom tomatoes because he said they taste so much better than regular tomatoes.

Another local retail business I like and would rather support than a large retailer is Garden Retreat at 201 60 Ave SW.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2012, 5:30 AM

I was just checking out the Colliers listing for Hanson Square and it looks like North Face will be moving into the ground level retail location on the west end. A few of the other CRUs say "OFFER" on them. Would that mean that there's a lease being negotiated or an offer made?

Old Posted Jun 14, 2012, 3:42 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Quote:
Originally Posted by stophs View Post
I was just checking out the Colliers listing for Hanson Square and it looks like North Face will be moving into the ground level retail location on the west end. A few of the other CRUs say "OFFER" on them. Would that mean that there's a lease being negotiated or an offer made?
Do you know how many ground floor units there are?

Old Posted Jun 14, 2012, 4:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzyEdge View Post
Do you know how many ground floor units there are?
From the pdf on Colliers website (and walking by) it looks like 8 CRUs at the ground level. That being said some of the CRUs look pretty small (the smallest is 763 sq ft) so maybe some of them will be combined.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2012, 2:34 AM

Not too sure if it has been mentioned but I was just browsing through the CMLC website and came across the Request for Proposal for a new block of retail in the East Village. The site is on 7th Ave and 4 St SE and based on the CMLC documents, what we could see is something very similar to Hanson Square. Of note:

Quote:
In short, the EV retail strategy will marry destination-­‐styled, urban format retail with niche service-­‐oriented village retail to realize upwards of 300,000+ sq. ft. of retail development for the area... ...existing inner city residents currently patronize more peripheral retail nodes; larger-­‐scale retailers and developers are actively exploring more urban locations; the timing is ripe to plan and execute stacked larger-­‐format retail uses in EV rather than elsewhere in the downtown core
The retail concept document envisions large format retail on the second and third floor and even goes as far as to propose a movie theatre on the fourth and fifth floor. The full concept document can be found here: http://www.calgarymlc.ca/sites/defau...T%200425_0.pdf

I think it is exciting to see more of this type of development happening in downtown Calgary. The East Village is probably a good choice for this type of retail as it provides easy access to the majority of downtown/beltline. The 4 St under-pass will make it easy to drive to should peope so choose and the City Hall LRT station will give easy access to the many condo residents who would be taking the train from either Erlton/Victoria Park or from the stations in the West end of downtown. According to the timeline the CMLC should be short-listing the proposals right now and the winning proposal should be made public in the early fall.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2012, 3:00 AM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Looks like a mall.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2012, 3:13 AM
YIMBY

Quote:
Looks like a mall.
A mall but better than average and it's not surrounded by a sea of parking, it'll be interesting to see what they select

Disclaimer: All opinions expressed are my own not those of any affiliated organizations.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2012, 5:57 AM
Inflatable Hippo

That seems much too small to really become a destination, which was the plight of Eau Claire Market.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2012, 2:37 PM

It is good to see they are planning for this sort of thing - however I agree it is not big enough on its own to be successful. The large format stores and the theatres are a great idea - but that level in between with the smaller retail bays needs to be eliminated - it will likely look exactly like that one wing in Eau Claire that loops around near the SE entrance - vacant.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2012, 3:06 PM
Construction Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Policy Wonk View Post
That seems much too small to really become a destination, which was the plight of Eau Claire Market.
Not a destination in and of itself, but it would be directly beside BVC, the new central library, and close to the National Music Centre, and all of the new East village residents. If it was built and had a grocery store and a home store in it, it would be destination enough. It looks like it would be mostly to service the local area, and be another close destination for people who come nearby for the other destinations. I'm not sure how well to third floor smaller shops would do though.

Of course, this is just a concept design, and the final design could change that.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2012, 4:20 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Mountain View Post
A mall but better than average and it's not surrounded by a sea of parking, it'll be interesting to see what they select
I just hope that doesn't become the trend, a blank slate and we fill it full of urban indoor malls with no retail street presence..

Old Posted Jun 15, 2012, 5:54 PM

Is this the "RIFF" site? Or something completely different?

Edit: Nevermind, I just looked concept design and saw that it's a different site

Last edited by Colin; Jun 15, 2012 at 6:09 PM.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2012, 6:14 PM
YIMBY

Quote:
I just hope that doesn't become the trend, a blank slate and we fill it full of urban indoor malls with no retail street presence..
Good point, really hoping they have more interaction with the street.

Disclaimer: All opinions expressed are my own not those of any affiliated organizations.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2012, 7:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Policy Wonk View Post
That, and it was ahead of its time. If Eau Claire opened today, I think it would do a lot better.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2012, 7:11 PM

The concept actually reminds me a lot of this building at Yonge and Dundas Square which features a Future Shop on the second floor, several shops and a small food court on the third floor and movie theatres and restuarants on the fourth floor. Both fourth floor restaurants offer patios that look down on the street and are a great place to enjoy the sun in the afternoon. If the developer included the restaurants, the buildings would almost be exact copies of each other... fingers crossed that they do as I think Calgary could use a few more destination patios downtown.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=yonge+...6.15,,0,-13.16

Old Posted Jun 15, 2012, 7:47 PM
Retrofit Urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by outoftheice View Post
fingers crossed that they do as I think Calgary could use a few more destination patios downtown.
1410 will definitely become a destination patio IMO.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2012, 9:22 PM
Inflatable Hippo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsayfarian View Post
That, and it was ahead of its time. If Eau Claire opened today, I think it would do a lot better.
Ahead of its time? Eau Claire as it was developed didn't have a time. It was just a catastrophically stupid idea. Things could have been very, very different...

Old Posted Jun 15, 2012, 9:25 PM
Inflatable Hippo

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need A Thneed View Post
Not a destination in and of itself, but it would be directly beside BVC, the new central library, and close to the National Music Centre, and all of the new East village residents. If it was built and had a grocery store and a home store in it, it would be destination enough. It looks like it would be mostly to service the local area, and be another close destination for people who come nearby for the other destinations. I'm not sure how well to third floor smaller shops would do though.

Of course, this is just a concept design, and the final design could change that.
I don't see this being workable in this form unless it is substantially big box.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy