HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Coast at Lakeshore East in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted May 25, 2012, 1:42 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch.G, Ch.G View Post
Wow. That's really badass. But WTF is happening on the east side? Will another high-rise definitely abut it?

Seems a somewhat surprising choice to have another structure literally abut the east side of Coast.....I mean, it's not like Magellan lacks the land to work with here. Also, on its surface the decision is slightly disappointing to me, if only because Coast is looking like it will be one of my favorite new high-rises of the last 15 years in Chicago, it's ashame to have any of it obscured in a sense, and crowded in on, and it might take away from its great proportions, symmetry, and sophisticated high-quality design.....

I'm wondering if it might possibly be the school that will abut it?

Old Posted May 25, 2012, 6:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop View Post
Seems a somewhat surprising choice to have another structure literally abut the east side of Coast.....I mean, it's not like Magellan lacks the land to work with here. Also, on its surface the decision is slightly disappointing to me, if only because Coast is looking like it will be one of my favorite new high-rises of the last 15 years in Chicago, it's ashame to have any of it obscured in a sense, and crowded in on, and it might take away from its great proportions, symmetry, and sophisticated high-quality design.....

I think that might be where 375 Wacker Drive is proposed. It is supposed to be revived when the market fully recovers.

Old Posted May 25, 2012, 6:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BraveNewWorld View Post
I think that might be where 375 Wacker Drive is proposed. It is supposed to be revived when the market fully recovers.

It is, but I'd be shocked...stunned if there was a party wall. My concern is they'll use completely different material on the side...like metal siding or something as a temporary solution. The beauty of this building is the symmetry, and it's a shame if there weren't spandrel glazing on that blank wall.

Old Posted May 25, 2012, 7:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayward View Post
It is, but I'd be shocked...stunned if there was a party wall. My concern is they'll use completely different material on the side...like metal siding or something as a temporary solution. The beauty of this building is the symmetry, and it's a shame if there weren't spandrel glazing on that blank wall.
Thanks to SSC user Iloveclassicrock7 for finding this

Quote:
Did a little digging to figure out about some projects :

375 Wacker Drive - There is a more recent article saying the same thing, but I wasn't able to find it. Here is what I could find. Thanks to i_am_hydrogen for finding this -

Quote:
This one is still alive:

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy
http://www.chicagomag.com/Radar/Deal...-the-Downturn/

Magellan's James Loewenberg on Aqua and Surviving the Downturn
By Jeff Bailey

...Post-Aqua, is it back to standard-issue buildings at Lakeshore East?

No. It’s going to be tough to top that building. But we hired Arquitectonica, the Miami firm, and they designed a building that straddles the street. We were ready to go. Thank God we never started. A great market opportunity, in the next two or three years, after you get through the overhanging inventory.

Old Posted May 25, 2012, 7:44 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
I'm pretty sure there will be a party wall. The metal studs and insulation go up 12 stories, then they stop. If the solid material was continuing upward, you'd expect to see the metal framing crew proceeding up to higher floors. Instead it just cuts off, so I'm betting there will be more of the transparent/spandrel glass above that point.

Also, if you look at the renderings of 375 E. Wacker, it has "shoulders" that rise exactly 12 stories above Upper Wacker - the same height as Coast's solid fill.

Old Posted May 25, 2012, 8:46 PM

Got it. I remember those "shoulders." I couldn't remember how tall they were. I'm thrilled they are planning wall to wall buildings...as it should be.

Old Posted May 26, 2012, 12:22 AM
tilted & shifted

Old Posted May 26, 2012, 1:03 AM

Quote:
Got it. I remember those "shoulders." I couldn't remember how tall they were. I'm thrilled they are planning wall to wall buildings...as it should be.
Yeah, the hard part is that this is a very serious proposal, but it is one where you really just have to wait...

Quote:
No. It’s going to be tough to top that building. But we hired Arquitectonica, the Miami firm, and they designed a building that straddles the street. We were ready to go. Thank God we never started. A great market opportunity, in the next two or three years, after you get through the overhanging inventory.
This shows that he is waiting for the right opportunity, but all we can do is wait.

Old Posted May 26, 2012, 1:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop View Post
I really don't think that school will be in LSE. Spy Guys post only said on LSD if I recall correctly. Here is another article I found:

Quote:
2301 N. Clark Street
Chicago, Ill. 60614
312-361-3519

. . .

Our state-of-the-art facility is 2 blocks from Lincoln Park.
On the Gems website and the article are some pics of the already built location. And the facebook page corroborates this location.

And so lets cut that out of discussion of this building all together. I will copy and paste this to Gen Dev if people want to discuss the school further.
“The test of a great building is in the marketplace. The Marketplace recognizes the value of quality architecture and endorses it in the sales price it is able to achieve.” — Jon Pickard, Principal, Pickard Chilton

Old Posted May 26, 2012, 3:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post

If built, this would be the most baller place to live in Chicago, aside from Trump.

Old Posted May 26, 2012, 4:33 AM
Everywhere all at once

Quote:
Yessiree. And I have a feeling (forgive me if I'm stating the obvious) that the solid wall on this building will only rise as high as those "shoulders" ...which is likely the amount of the building that's already covered in the yellow wall material. At first I thought this would be a terrible mistake in the facade of the Coast, but now I realize it's just thinking ahead. The Lakeshore East complex is quite remarkable, as is the entire city of Chicago. The river canyon is already one of my favorite places on earth.

Old Posted May 26, 2012, 5:21 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by StatenIslander237 View Post
The Lakeshore East complex is quite remarkable, :
You should have seen it 15 years ago.....

Lakeshore east is a mini boom town east of downtown. I remember when it was a 9 hole golf course and driving range, not that long ago.

Panoramic view of the city skyline from the Metro Golf Illinois Center, Chicago, IL

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lakeshore_East

I am not old enough to remember this before the change in LSD...

Quote:
Originally Posted by StatenIslander237 View Post
The river canyon is already one of my favorite places on earth.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ois_Center.jpg

Old Posted May 26, 2012, 3:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnk View Post
You should have seen it 15 years ago.....

Lakeshore east is a mini boom town east of downtown. I remember when it was a 9 hole golf course and driving range, not that long ago.

Panoramic view of the city skyline from the Metro Golf Illinois Center, Chicago, IL

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lakeshore_East

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ois_Center.jpg
I had no idea that it used to look like that. It is crazy how much Chicago grew over the last decade.

Old Posted May 26, 2012, 4:08 PM

Quote:
I had no idea that it used to look like that. It is crazy how much Chicago grew over the last decade.

It's amazing that chicago's total population shrunk even as the downtown boomed. Projects like Coast really show the paradigm shift in the Chicago market over the past few decades. This tower hopes to find young, childless professionals as tenants. Years ago those types may have chosen one of the "neighborhoods" or even the suburbs but now they are increasingly picking highrise living (and increasingly doing it without roommates). "Black flight" has had a larger negative effect on Chicago's population over the past decade than young white collar workers, but projects like Coast are a great reflection of the increasingly popular highrise lifestyle. While many small scale neighborhoods have gentrified effectively, I hope we see even more interest in highrises (especially good ones like this). You should check out central station and some of the projects planned down there that got stalled as the market tanked.
“The test of a great building is in the marketplace. The Marketplace recognizes the value of quality architecture and endorses it in the sales price it is able to achieve.” — Jon Pickard, Principal, Pickard Chilton

Old Posted May 26, 2012, 8:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiPhi View Post
It's amazing that chicago's total population shrunk even as the downtown boomed. Projects like Coast really show the paradigm shift in the Chicago market over the past few decades. This tower hopes to find young, childless professionals as tenants. Years ago those types may have chosen one of the "neighborhoods" or even the suburbs but now they are increasingly picking highrise living (and increasingly doing it without roommates). "Black flight" has had a larger negative effect on Chicago's population over the past decade than young white collar workers, but projects like Coast are a great reflection of the increasingly popular highrise lifestyle. While many small scale neighborhoods have gentrified effectively, I hope we see even more interest in highrises (especially good ones like this). You should check out central station and some of the projects planned down there that got stalled as the market tanked.
That's the thing, Chicago's population is dropping, but its downtown population, and metro population is growing, which is what matters. The most important thing is that the downtown feels booming and alive. Over the past few decades Chicago has gone from a world center of business, to an area that has continued to improve its place as one of the top economic centers, as well as an incredible place to live, that is not only booming during the day, but incredibly alive at night.

Old Posted May 26, 2012, 9:24 PM
BANNED

Quote:
That's the thing, Chicago's population is dropping, but its downtown population, and metro population is growing, which is what matters. The most important thing is that the downtown feels booming and alive. Over the past few decades Chicago has gone from a world center of business, to an area that has continued to improve its place as one of the top economic centers, as well as an incredible place to live, that is not only booming during the day, but incredibly alive at night.
Seriously, where do you come up with this commentary. The health of the neighborhoods is critical to the long term viability of Chicago; exurban population gain which contributes to metropolitan gain is all but irrelevant to Chicago's health; it is only relevant to stat list obsessed onanists.

The fact the downtown Chicago has grown is undoubtedly good; but the most important thing. If school quality could be successfully addressed as well as extirpating the thug gang bangers that would be much more important to the 2.5 million Chicagoans who do not live downtown.

Where do you live? The western burbs?

Old Posted May 26, 2012, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawfin View Post
Seriously, where do you come up with this commentary. The health of the neighborhoods is critical to the long term viability of Chicago; exurban population gain which contributes to metropolitan gain is all but irrelevant to Chicago's health; it is only relevant to stat list obsessed onanists.

The fact the downtown Chicago has grown is undoubtedly good; but the most important thing. If school quality could be successfully addressed as well as extirpating the thug gang bangers that would be much more important to the 2.5 million Chicagoans who do not live downtown.

Where do you live? The western burbs?
I was speaking about what matters most for Chicago's population and world status, of course the neighborhoods, schools, and crime levels are all very important.

Old Posted May 26, 2012, 11:52 PM

lawfin, good job. it was a massively underutilized portion of one the best downtown area's in the world. of course it was gonna be redeveloped and grow, personally im happy that they were able to do it with a unified vision and bring a sense of cohesion to a neighborhood that exhibits the opposite.

Old Posted May 27, 2012, 10:22 PM

May 26, 2012

Old Posted May 28, 2012, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnk View Post

I am and I don't miss the "excitement" of those 90 degree turns!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive