HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #221  
Old Posted Apr 17, 2012, 7:11 PM
RyeJay RyeJay is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 3,131
S'all comin together now!

I wonder if there will still be green...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #222  
Old Posted Apr 18, 2012, 8:49 PM
someone123's Avatar
someone123 someone123 is offline
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 18,502
The CCA addition shows up a little bit in the skyline:


Source
__________________
flickr
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #223  
Old Posted Apr 26, 2012, 1:33 PM
Jonovision's Avatar
Jonovision Jonovision is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 4,256
From the citadel.

Reply With Quote
     
     
  #224  
Old Posted Apr 26, 2012, 6:32 PM
someone123's Avatar
someone123 someone123 is offline
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 18,502
Looks like the Clyde Street developments will also be visible from this perspective when they are built.

Sometimes a highrise is hard to see and then other times a 5 or 6 storey building can be really prominent. Part of the reason for that is the hilliness, but part of it is patchy development. I think the city will look a lot nicer as it fills in. I agree with what somebody said in another thread -- in a decade or two I think people will look back at areas like Clyde Street and thing "whoa.. that all used to be parking lots?"
__________________
flickr
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #225  
Old Posted Apr 26, 2012, 6:34 PM
worldlyhaligonian worldlyhaligonian is offline
we built this city
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 3,620
Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
Looks like the Clyde Street developments will also be visible from this perspective when they are built.

Sometimes a highrise is hard to see and then other times a 5 or 6 storey building can be really prominent. Part of the reason for that is the hilliness, but part of it is patchy development. I think the city will look a lot nicer as it fills in. I agree with what somebody said in another thread -- in a decade or two I think people will look back at areas like Clyde Street and thing "whoa.. that all used to be parking lots?"
But where will we park?



And the children?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #226  
Old Posted May 3, 2012, 12:37 AM
SekishikiMeikaiHa's Avatar
SekishikiMeikaiHa SekishikiMeikaiHa is offline
積屍氣冥界波
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Dartmouth, NS
Posts: 405
Taken today:
__________________
積屍氣冥界波
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #227  
Old Posted May 3, 2012, 2:44 AM
someone123's Avatar
someone123 someone123 is offline
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 18,502
I wonder how long those little rowhouses will last?
__________________
flickr
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #228  
Old Posted May 3, 2012, 2:50 AM
cormiermax's Avatar
cormiermax cormiermax is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Shanghai
Posts: 881
Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
I wonder how long those little rowhouses will last?
Hopefully awhile, if renovated they could be really nice.
__________________
http://v2studio.ca/
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #229  
Old Posted May 24, 2012, 10:58 AM
Jonovision's Avatar
Jonovision Jonovision is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 4,256
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #230  
Old Posted May 24, 2012, 11:46 AM
kwajo's Avatar
kwajo kwajo is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Uptown, Saint John
Posts: 1,627
Great angle, really shows how nicely this project works to add mid-rise density to the area, hopefully something we'll see a lot more of soon.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #231  
Old Posted May 24, 2012, 7:51 PM
someone123's Avatar
someone123 someone123 is offline
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 18,502
A lot has changed in that view over the past 10 years. The only big remaining holes are the Clyde Street lots, and they should be developed soon. When they go in the neighbourhood should be busier and I think it will be a lot more visually appealing. I really dislike the small town style facade of commercial buildings surrounded by parking lots.

I doubt the old surface lots will be missed much. That's actually pretty important since some people in Halifax still believe in the 1950's model of urban retail districts mimicking strip malls in order to remain successful. Maybe it's less true now but in the past the complaints were always about parking, parking, parking. If a business needs to be surrounded by acres of surface lots to be successful it shouldn't be located downtown.
__________________
flickr
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #232  
Old Posted May 24, 2012, 9:54 PM
Phalanx Phalanx is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Halifax
Posts: 467
Unfortunately, I don't think they've changed that much. Weren't the Spring Garden streetscape improvements derailed over concerns about on-street parking and and vehicle access by area merchants?

It's not the same as surface parking lots, but it's the same mentality.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #233  
Old Posted May 24, 2012, 9:58 PM
W.Sobchak's Avatar
W.Sobchak W.Sobchak is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 102
Truth be told, the money ear-marked for the SPR streetscape improvement was bullied (by higher powers of federal ilk) into a stretch of road out by Purcells cove.

That's not rumor either, that's from the councilwoman's mouth of disappointment, and frustration.
__________________
"Am I the only one around here who gives shit about the rules?"
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #234  
Old Posted May 24, 2012, 10:46 PM
spaustin's Avatar
spaustin spaustin is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Downtown Dartmouth
Posts: 659
Yep the feds fairly randomly said streetscape improvements didn't qualify for stimulus cash. They picked the Washmill Lake Underpass for funding, which was way down HRM's list. To add insult to injury, the project ended up going way over budget and HRM had to make up the shortfall on its own. The Spring Garden Road's Merchant Association didn't help though. They actively campaigned against the proposed street improvements for fear of losing parking and having to be better organized with delivery times. The real loser in the Washmill Lake saga was Quinpool Road. The Quinpool businesses were in favour of the streetscape project for their street, but politics seems to have worked against them.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #235  
Old Posted May 24, 2012, 11:26 PM
someone123's Avatar
someone123 someone123 is offline
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 18,502
Quote:
Originally Posted by spaustin View Post
Yep the feds fairly randomly said streetscape improvements didn't qualify for stimulus cash. They picked the Washmill Lake Underpass for funding, which was way down HRM's list. To add insult to injury, the project ended up going way over budget and HRM had to make up the shortfall on its own. The Spring Garden Road's Merchant Association didn't help though. They actively campaigned against the proposed street improvements for fear of losing parking and having to be better organized with delivery times. The real loser in the Washmill Lake saga was Quinpool Road. The Quinpool businesses were in favour of the streetscape project for their street, but politics seems to have worked against them.
This is all true but fundamentally we're also talking about capital projects that the city could (and arguably should -- if sidewalk improvements don't fall to the HRM then what does?) fund by itself. Maybe it would have to wait until the next budget year, but if they were truly priorities they'd be funded. Federal funding did not come through for the Bedford ice rink and yet it was built anyway.
__________________
flickr
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #236  
Old Posted May 25, 2012, 10:43 AM
Jonovision's Avatar
Jonovision Jonovision is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 4,256
At one of the centreplan meetings I attended councillor Uteck said there was now a budget allocated for the Quinnpool Rd streetscape improvements and it was scheduled to go ahead next year with Spring Garden following the year after.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #237  
Old Posted May 25, 2012, 2:31 PM
RyeJay RyeJay is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 3,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonovision View Post
At one of the centreplan meetings I attended councillor Uteck said there was now a budget allocated for the Quinnpool Rd streetscape improvements and it was scheduled to go ahead next year with Spring Garden following the year after.
!! ...I hope to read about this soon.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #238  
Old Posted May 25, 2012, 5:23 PM
someone123's Avatar
someone123 someone123 is offline
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 18,502
I hope the streetscape improvements get built this time. If Spring Garden Road is worked on in two years then it will have been 6 years since the scuttled 2008 attempt.
__________________
flickr
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #239  
Old Posted May 25, 2012, 8:15 PM
Waye Mason's Avatar
Waye Mason Waye Mason is offline
opinionated so and so
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Halifax, NS
Posts: 721
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyeJay View Post
!! ...I hope to read about this soon.
I was at that meeting and the couple hundred grand she mentioned (I think it was $600,000), while a nice start, falls well short of the $8,918,890 suggested to do the full on streetscape as proposed in 2009. Nickels and dimes don't get you a great city. I found her comments frustrating, not just because I am running against her!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #240  
Old Posted May 26, 2012, 3:19 AM
someone123's Avatar
someone123 someone123 is offline
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 18,502
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waye Mason View Post
I was at that meeting and the couple hundred grand she mentioned (I think it was $600,000), while a nice start, falls well short of the $8,918,890 suggested to do the full on streetscape as proposed in 2009. Nickels and dimes don't get you a great city. I found her comments frustrating, not just because I am running against her!
You mean Uteck?

Sadly, the $600,000 is the kind of thing I expect. Basically I expect council to place streetscape improvements for Spring Garden Road on the same level as sidewalks along Sackville Drive or Purcell's Cove Road. This is of course an incredibly raw deal for Spring Garden Road because of the high densities and tax rates.

Aside from the spending I also think most regional councillors just don't get what is needed downtown. It would be much better served with some kind of permanent, moderate sized budget for improvements along the lines of streetscaping. I thought that was what the Capital District was going to be but these projects are still very ad hoc and micromanaged by council.
__________________
flickr

Last edited by someone123; May 26, 2012 at 3:29 AM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:53 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.