HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Oct 10, 2011, 12:20 PM
opinionated so and so

Lots of interior work going on. When you go into Pete's or to get a haircut the atrium area is full of construction.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2011, 3:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waye Mason View Post
Lots of interior work going on. When you go into Pete's or to get a haircut the atrium area is full of construction.
This was pretty much what I figured was part of the hold up - there would have to be a lot of structural work done on the inside to accommodate new pipes and conduit. My only concern was when the building was originally built, had they taken this into account.

What what Waye is saying; I would guess probably not - to save some $ at the time. Unfortunately, that could eat into the time schedule and push things back...sad, but forethought wasn't there.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2011, 4:09 AM

This addition was factored into the construction of the structural components of the original buiilding.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2011, 8:25 PM

Today

(self-made)

Old Posted Oct 21, 2011, 3:13 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by alps View Post

(self-made)
God damn! My jaw literally dropped when I saw this.
I must now take back my recent comment about little exterior progress because this angle clearly shows this is not the case.

Wow! Looking good.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2011, 6:20 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

I like the "layered" effect of having this building a bit taller than the buildings on Spring Garden, and then having taller buildings like the Martello behind (and actually Fenwick is visible down Dresden Row). That look is way more interesting than having a thin facade of mostly low-slung buildings surrounded by parking lots. The residential infill also adds population density and therefore activity and interest.

There's a lot of hype about Spring Garden but for the longest time improvements were pretty small and not much progress was made on the biggest "problems", like the Clyde Street lots or the library issue (streetscape improvements are still shelved). It finally feels like the street is making substantial progress now that there are half a dozen or so actual construction projects underway.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2011, 2:03 AM

Stood on the corner by Shoppers this evening and looked at the progress... What a great little project this is. There have been a few floors added and it already looks great.

SGR is moving on up.

Dresden Row was already sort of a cool, hip little street with Pete's/Cora's/Sushi Nami/Yoga places, etc. This is going to make it even more vibrant.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2011, 4:19 AM
we built this city

Uhh, I can't believe HMV is still in business in the pic above?

Old Posted Nov 7, 2011, 4:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldlyhaligonian View Post
Uhh, I can't believe HMV is still in business in the pic above?
I remember the day it opened , it was crazy busy , could barely move . It really is amazing how much times have changed that place was always buzzing ,even just a few years ago.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2011, 2:55 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by resetcbu1 View Post
I remember the day it opened , it was crazy busy , could barely move . It really is amazing how much times have changed that place was always buzzing ,even just a few years ago.
I can't remember the last time I actually bought music.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2011, 3:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyeJay View Post
I can't remember the last time I actually bought music.
That's probably why the music business produces such crap these days.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2011, 8:56 PM
Urban Thinker

I actually still shop at HMV. I like the tactile feel of a CD in my hand.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2011, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinMacD View Post
Stood on the corner by Shoppers this evening and looked at the progress... What a great little project this is. There have been a few floors added and it already looks great.

SGR is moving on up.

Dresden Row was already sort of a cool, hip little street with Pete's/Cora's/Sushi Nami/Yoga places, etc. This is going to make it even more vibrant.
I can see the little CIBC building on the corner being replaced with something similar to the new TD Canada Trust building further down the street. It's not a large lot but a four floored building could work.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2011, 12:05 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

That whole block of buildings fronting onto Spring Garden with the CIBC is substantially below average right now. It seems ripe for a redevelopment that ties in with the rest of CCA.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2011, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haligonia View Post
And you like the full-size album art of LPs and the smell of wax cylinders too?

Old Posted Nov 8, 2011, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haligonia View Post
Same, here, I like to buy my music and receive a physical item, I'd rather buy the entire cd rather a few songs off iTunes. Funny though, when HMV first came here I stuck with the local retailers because I felt like I was supporting the endangered retailers, I now get that same feeling with HMV.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2011, 8:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nifta View Post
And you like the full-size album art of LPs and the smell of wax cylinders too?
I for one love LPs, consequently I usually go to Taz instead of HMV. My dad's upgrading his hi-fi setup, once he's gotten around to swapping everything out I'm apparently getting his old gear.

The big HMV at Burrard/Robson here in Van is closing down. Surprised me quite a bit, you can't get much better downtown commercial real estate than that corner.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2011, 3:47 PM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

It happened to Blockbuster Canada so it might happen to HMV. One thing to note is that the cost of cd's has gone down over the years while the cost for a rental at BB only went up.

On another comment I do agree that CIBC will now have to update that corner as well. A few more floors and more glass should do the trick.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2011, 3:55 PM

It already is happening to HMV. The Canadian wing of HMV was sold off because the British parent company is in some degree of financial trouble, and the plan is already to reduce the number of brick and mortar stores fairly dramatically. Speculation is that the plan will be to get out of brick and mortar entirely and transition to online sales only.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2011, 3:59 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstaleness View Post
It happened to Blockbuster Canada so it might happen to HMV. One thing to note is that the cost of cd's has gone down over the years while the cost for a rental at BB only went up.

On another comment I do agree that CIBC will now have to update that corner as well. A few more floors and more glass should do the trick.
Regardless if the CIBC on Spring Garden renovates, and perhaps adds floors, the current state of the building isn't offensive. It has been reasonably well kept.

With City Centre Atlantic higher above it, I actually appreciate the break in dimensions the shorter CIBC provides. The different heights create a more interesting walking atmosphere for us at ground level.

I want that so-called thing of a house, to the right of HMV, gone. It is so embarrassing.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth