HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Skyscraper & Urban Art

Old Posted Mar 6, 2006, 3:45 AM
Good times!

Ah, but this is Chicago we are talking about, a flat plane is perfectly acceptable!

You should add the El to the streets, that would be way cool!

Old Posted Mar 6, 2006, 4:14 AM
JACKinBeantown

Dammit! I was gonna say sidewalks. Oh well. I guess I don't get a nickel. Looks great, STR.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2006, 9:18 AM
Because I'm Clever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSPtoMKE
Ah, but this is Chicago we are talking about, a flat plane is perfectly acceptable!

You should add the El to the streets, that would be way cool!
The El is now a definate possbility, though I have other things to take care of first.

BTW Interested in a new W avatar for a new year? This one is hilarious:

More: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/4774868.stm

Old Posted Mar 6, 2006, 3:35 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by STR
The Chicago Locks projects is very interesting

Old Posted Mar 6, 2006, 11:10 PM
YIMBY co-founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by STR

We have a winner. Yes, the ground is now 3D, where as before it was just a flat plane with layers put on top. This means, eventually, the river will be 20 feet below street level, and multi-level roads and plazas are now possible.
Yay! I won! 5 cents US won't get me much over here tho, so I say: give it to charity
Is the ground really 3D yet, as in being a 3D model of what little bumbiness Chicago has?
/I second (third?) the El idea.
//don't forget about the "could-have-beens"...
Huopa, Nightsky, Jo, wolkenkrabber, ThisSideofSteinway, jacksom, New Jack City, LeCom, Ellatur, Jan, Dennis, Ace, Bardamu, AtlanticaC5, Ringil, Dysfunctional, stacey, karakhal, ch1le, Hviid, staff, kjetilab, Þróndeimr, queetz, FREKI, sander, Blue Viking, nomels, Mantas, ristov, Rafal_T, khaan, Chilenofuturista, Jonte Myra, safta20, AW, Pas, Jarmo K, IceCheese, Sideshow_Bob, sk, Ingenioren, Ayreonaut, Silver Creations, Hasse78, Svartmetall

Old Posted Mar 7, 2006, 3:41 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

whats El ???

Old Posted Mar 7, 2006, 4:01 AM
Because I'm Clever!

^It's short for Elevated, part of the Chicago transit rail system.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2006, 4:05 AM
Because I'm Clever!

17 pics. Lot's of changes, though only a few are readily apparent. For those that showed up at the CUAG meeting, a couple of these you've seen before. The other 14 are new.

Special emphasis if given to the Legacy. Some people have expressed trouple getting their head around the design, so I got it from several angles.

I also have the view of the lake from Fordham, as requested. I had to expand the lake out quite a bit to give an impression that will remotely resembles what the real view would look like.

Last edited by STR; Mar 7, 2006 at 4:24 AM.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2006, 4:22 AM
Because I'm Clever!

Among the new changes:
Replaced Heritage and Legacy with more accurate models.
Added an outlying area using public domain USGS aerials.
Messed with the lighting system.
Continued to overhaul the road system and add sidewalks.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2006, 4:39 AM
Good times!

Quote:
Originally Posted by STR
BTW Interested in a new W avatar for a new year?
Love it!

Your model is coming along great. Love the new horizon.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2006, 4:51 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

look cool ... idea for future... do nite shots

looking good though

kinda reminds me of streets of simcity lol

Old Posted Mar 8, 2006, 3:00 AM
Content provider

all of these are great, as usual.

11 my favorite

Old Posted Mar 8, 2006, 6:22 AM
devout Pizzatarian

number three is like some kind of future mythology. it's a bit surreal to think that it might actually exist one day.

as always, your work is outstanding, STR. and it's not just the model, it's really the vantage points you capture that make the images sing.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2006, 8:23 AM
Because I'm Clever!

Okay just a few more updates. Marina city's twin towers have been upgraded from simple cylinders to corncobs. There's one more Lake shot from Fordham Spire, which now look cool as the lake is now stretches 7 miles from shore. The previous shot is from the now ~120th floor looking down the river. The last two are of something I've wanted to check out for a while. BCBS was designed to be expanded by 30 stories, to about 700feet, this I believe, is what it will look like. This won't be a permanent change, unless BCBS announces the expansion will be undertaken and completed before 2012. So after tonight, BCBS is back to 40.

As always, enjoy.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2006, 7:09 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

hey the freeways are 3d now lol

Old Posted Mar 8, 2006, 11:16 PM
Condo Projects Manager

I may just hire one day for one my projects in the future. What's your going rate? You do fantastic work.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2006, 12:08 AM

^ there we go - its already starting.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2006, 12:46 AM
Because I'm Clever!

^That's actually the 3rd such inquiry. The first being sent via PM a couple weeks back. The short story is that I'm open to such offers, but aren't ready quite yet and would be relatively cheap compared to the market.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2006, 5:13 AM
Because I'm Clever!

New Pano's

Fordham Spire version 1.3:

Old Posted Mar 9, 2006, 5:21 AM
Because I'm Clever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan
number three is like some kind of future mythology. it's a bit surreal to think that it might actually exist one day.
I made sure to update that very shot with the new Marina City and revamped Fordham Spire.

Quote:
as always, your work is outstanding, STR. and it's not just the model, it's really the vantage points you capture that make the images sing.
Glad you noticed. I put a long of thought into which angles are rendered (seeing as how it takes 10 minutes for each) and just as much time goes into the lighting.

These renders really are virtual photography. I even have choices of several lenses from 15mm to 100mm (simulated of course), though 35mm-50mm is best for general work. Then there's the ability to raise buildings by 30 stories...

Last edited by STR; Mar 9, 2006 at 6:12 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Skyscraper & Urban Art