HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Aug 17, 2011, 1:05 PM

Saint Michaels, MD

St. Michaels is a town in Talbot County, along the Miles River, on the eastern shore of the Chesapeake Bay. The population is around 1,200.

The town was laid out in 1770 and was named for the rural Episcopalian church that was founded here in 1677. Saint Michaels developed early on as a shipbuilding town, and it was because Saint Michaels built fast ships that could evade blockades that the British attempted to attack the community. However, the British did not destroy the shipyards from their vessels. A story emerged that the townspeople fooled the British by placing lanterns in the trees beyond the town, thus causing them to fire mainly into the countryside.

After the War of 1812, the oyster industry took hold in Saint Michaels, with oystermen setting out from the town and shucking houses being located in the town. The community also saw some tourism from people from Baltimore escaping the heat for a day, or summer houses along the water. Tourism became the dominant industry in the mid-1900s at around the time that the Chesapeake Bay Maritime Museum opened.

The Higgins, Dodson, and Eagle Houses, at the Chesapeake Bay Maritime Museum on Navy Point. The Higgins House was built in 1856, the Dodson House was built in 1851, and the Eagle House was built in 1893.

The Hooper Strait Lighthouse, on the grouds of the Chesapeake Bay Maritime Museum.

The lighthouse was built in 1879 and originally sat in Hooper Strait, at the entrance to Tangier Sound in Dorchester County to the south. The screw-pile lighthouse was automated and then abandoned in 1954. In 1966, the light was facing scrapping, but was transported to the new Chesapeake Bay Maritime Museum instead.

Houses on Talbot Street, the main street through Saint Michaels.

The Pinkett House, on Mill Street. The house was built in 1852.

A restaurant on Talbot Street.

A bed and breakfast on Talbot Street.

Businesses on Talbot Street.

A grocery store on Talbot Street.

Buildings on Talbot Street.

Houses on Talbot Street.

Buildings on Talbot Street.

St. Luke's Methodist Church, on Talbot Street.

The church was built in 1871.

The Keithley House, on Mulberry Street. The house was built in 1825.

The Sparks House, on Mulberry Street. The house was built in 1880.

A house on Green Street from across Church Cove.

The scene of Church Cove from Church Cove Park.

Houses on Green Street. The Bruff House, in the center, was built in the first decade of the 1800s.

The Wickersham House, on Locust Street. The house was built in 1750.

Houses on Locust Street. The Melson House, built in 1840, is on the left, and the Blades House, built in 1850, is on the right.

Looking down Locust Street at a house on Cherry Street.

The Tarr House, on Green Street. The house is claimed to have been built in 1667, but evidence suggests that it was built in 1808.

Houses on Chestnut Street.

A house on Chestnut Street.

Buildings of the St. Michaels Museum, on St. Mary's Square. On the left is the Chaney House, built in 1850 by three Free Blacks who were brothers. In the middle is the Jeremiah Sewell House, built in 1865 for a waterman.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2011, 1:26 PM

Beautiful thread! I had forgotten how much I like St. Michaels.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2011, 1:59 PM

Great photos. Saint Michaels is an enjoyable little town. The Cheasapeake museum is an interesting place to visit and I remembe that Saint Michaels also has a very good ice cream store. Too bad the town is afflicted by the curse of Dick Cheney, however.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2011, 2:13 PM
Universal Traveler

Smile

Thank you so much for showing us these nice pictures, xzmattzx!

Wonderful houses, nice place! I like very much those ancient houses.

Congratulations and greetings from Madrid, Spain!

Old Posted Aug 17, 2011, 7:26 PM
Motor City Mountaineer

Thank you so much! This place has so much nostalgia to me. I have family there and every summer we'd come down and visit and spend most of the time on the water. Visting family in Delmarva was always so much fun. I miss it. Thanks for bringing back some good memories. Really due for a visit soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 202_Cyclist View Post
Great photos. Saint Michaels is an enjoyable little town. The Cheasapeake museum is an interesting place to visit and I remembe that Saint Michaels also has a very good ice cream store. Too bad the town is afflicted by the curse of Dick Cheney, however.
From what I remember there were two ice cream places, both with good memories. And yes, that is a curse. When he visits, the locals complain because they shut down half of the local roads to land his helicopter. He usually ends up staying at the big fancy Hyatt in Cambridge I believe, but unfortunately spends most of his time in St. Michaels. I find it ironic in a heavily Republican area how much the locals despise him (can't blame them of course).

Old Posted Aug 17, 2011, 8:06 PM

Wow, the historical housing there is extremely well preserved. The setting makes the whole area look very serene as well.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2011, 2:12 AM
B!tchslapping Since 1998

Excellent tour!

Old Posted Aug 18, 2011, 12:37 PM

Very charming town, and well preserved.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2011, 2:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatsthepoint13 View Post
When he visits, the locals complain because they shut down half of the local roads to land his helicopter. He usually ends up staying at the big fancy Hyatt in Cambridge I believe, but unfortunately spends most of his time in St. Michaels. I find it ironic in a heavily Republican area how much the locals despise him (can't blame them of course).
Unfortunately I think that's the way things are nowadays with heads of state or near-heads of state. I never saw it myself until Joe Biden became Vice-President. Then I got stuck in terrible traffic when they would shut down I-95 to let his motorcade go from his house to the airport. Nothing we can do about it except hope that he stays in DC as much as possible.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2011, 2:55 AM
BANNED

Good looking town. Love those colonial houses

Old Posted Aug 19, 2011, 4:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzmattzx View Post
Unfortunately I think that's the way things are nowadays with heads of state or near-heads of state. I never saw it myself until Joe Biden became Vice-President. Then I got stuck in terrible traffic when they would shut down I-95 to let his motorcade go from his house to the airport. Nothing we can do about it except hope that he stays in DC as much as possible.
They have the same problem in Kennebunkport, ME when the Bush's are in town. No doubt, Obama is causing traffic to be stopped Martha's Vineyard right now. When I lived in DC, I got used to the motorcades.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos