HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Jun 23, 2013, 1:39 PM
Trump for Treason.

The Heartland

My girlfriend and I visited Chicago and Milwaukee last week for a wedding. We flew into Chicago and spent a day there and then took Amtrak up to Milwaukee for our friends wedding. Most of the Chicago photos are from the downtown tourist spots but we did go to an excellent street festival on Randolph Street on Friday evening. I enjoyed both cities but Chicago is especially impressive.

Can you tell they are excited about the Blackhawks in Chicago?

There are some interesting buildings in Chicago.

Although NYC's bike-share program has received all of the attention, Gabe Klein and Rahm haven't been slacking either.

LA called and wants its concert hall back.

There are no buildings this tall in DC.

Or this tall!

Arteries, it has been nice knowing you.

Where's Rahm?

Just another sleepy Midwestern city.

Now, it's time for the Land of Cheese and Beer!

Last edited by 202_Cyclist; Jun 23, 2013 at 1:58 PM.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2013, 1:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 202_Cyclist View Post
There are some interesting buildings in Chicago.
Glad you got to see it! Barring a total miracle, my alma mater, Northwestern University, will soon be tearing it down. Preservationists fought it but ultimately lost the battle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 202_Cyclist View Post
LA called and wants its concert hall back.
Fun story I heard once about this bandshell -- and an instructive one about "starchitects" and the commodification of monumental architecture. The Chicago bandshell and the LA concert hall have, of course, the same architect: Frank Gehry. When Chicago was planning Millennium Park, where it's located, they called Gehry and asked him to design a bandshell. He drew something up and presented it. The Millennium Park people took a look at it and said, "Uh, I guess you didn't understand -- we wanted a Frank Gehry bandshell." So Gehry went back to the drawing board and came up with this. And that is why these things all look the same.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2013, 3:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boulevardofdef View Post
Fun story I heard once about this bandshell -- and an instructive one about "starchitects" and the commodification of monumental architecture. The Chicago bandshell and the LA concert hall have, of course, the same architect: Frank Gehry. When Chicago was planning Millennium Park, where it's located, they called Gehry and asked him to design a bandshell. He drew something up and presented it. The Millennium Park people took a look at it and said, "Uh, I guess you didn't understand -- we wanted a Frank Gehry bandshell." So Gehry went back to the drawing board and came up with this. And that is why these things all look the same.
Yup...I read that too. Initial designs of the "shell" were very sleek, with Gehry-like elements, as he thought that the best way to pay homage to Chicago's architecture. He was asked to modify.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos