HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

View Poll Results: Would you like to separate this thread for individual station projects?
Yes 19 31.15%
No 42 68.85%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Oct 22, 2009, 7:15 PM
Cheers!

I'm looking at the pics, and I'm trying to imagine where you could put some retail in. I think you could have a small news stand under the stairs... no extra mechanical required, but beyond that...?

Old Posted Oct 22, 2009, 8:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deasine View Post

It is longer. Now it's 90 metres.
But no one will wait near the southern end 15 metres, because the chance of being able to broad is very slim from 7am-6pm if you stand there

Old Posted Oct 22, 2009, 10:33 PM

same old glass and concrete mix...

Old Posted Oct 23, 2009, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agrant View Post
I'm looking at the pics, and I'm trying to imagine where you could put some retail in. I think you could have a small news stand under the stairs... no extra mechanical required, but beyond that...?
I think there's an alcove on the left (east) because the utility rooms poke out into the concourse.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2009, 1:18 AM
Vancouver Moderator

One thing I noticed that is missing in phase 1 of the redesign is dark gray wayfinding files, which really help the blind, something the Canada Line has.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2009, 2:40 AM

It appears that at the Commercial Drive Station hub, a new shop/booth has been set up just at the entrance to the bridge next to the ticket vending machines (where the blueberry table stand used to be a while ago). Nice to see a new shop but it's gonna get in the way for pedestrian flow.

Does anyone know what's going to be sold at that booth?

Old Posted Nov 17, 2009, 9:12 PM

News release from TransLink with interesting info:

Quote:
New elevator escalator highlight upgraded Commercial Broadway Station

Greater accessibility, better use of platform space and more natural light are features of the newly upgraded Commercial-Broadway Station, which was officially opened today.

“This re-design reflects how important Commercial-Broadway has become in recent years,” says TransLink CEO Tom Prendergast. “With more than 140 thousand people passing through this hub every day, we have needed to make greater use of the space we have and enable people to use the system more efficiently.”

When it was first built, Broadway Station was not envisioned as a major transfer point, but that has changed with the addition of the Millennium SkyTrain line and the growth of the 99 B and #20 bus lines.

The upgraded station features a new entrance off 10th Avenue, with an escalator and elevator as well as stairs. This will make it easier for disabled customers – particularly those using HandyDART – to get to and from the platform. Replacing the north side elevator, which was in the centre of the platform at the south end of the overhead walkway across Broadway (Avenue), provides more space for customers waiting for SkyTrain and eliminates tricky and potentially dangerous “dodging” to get around the elevator shaft.

The upgrade was completed more than 2 months ahead of time, and more than $4 million under budget at $9.2 million. The provincial government provided $4.27 million, with the remainder coming from TransLink and contributions from Transport Canada and the City of Vancouver through the federal Urban Transportation Showcase Program.

“The Government of Canada is committed to improving and advancing public transportation options,” said Andrew Saxton, Parliamentary Secretary to the President of the Treasury Board, and Member of Parliament for North Vancouver. “We are pleased to partner in this project that will improve accessibility, reduce congestion, and enhance safety and security for transit users at Commercial-Broadway Station.”

“The improvements to Commercial-Broadway Station will be of immense benefit to SkyTrain users,” said Transportation and Infrastructure Minister Shirley Bond. “Congestion is reduced, access is improved, and safety and security are enhanced.”

The station is built according to CPTED (Crime Prevention Through Environmental Design) principles to improve safety and security. The glass wall on the concourse level, which has replaced the metal mesh on the west wall, provides more natural light and allows for better neighbourhood surveillance. The new entrance off 10th Avenue removes the “dead-end” on the ground floor. The electric lighting is now at the same standard as that at Millennium Line stations (part of an overall upgrade to the lighting along the Expo Line).

The station has been designed as more of a community “focal point”, especially when seen in conjunction with the nearby community garden project, which opened in the past year on a lot contributed by TransLink and the BC Rapid Transit Company. It is expected that increasing the community element in the area will make the station itself safer and more inviting.

The upgrading of Commercial-Broadway Station is part of a general makeover planned for the original Expo Line stations to meet the capacity needs of the Metro Vancouver region. Plans for future phases, subject to funding, include a doubling of platform capacity at Commercial-Broadway and renovations at Main Street-Science World Station (including a new elevator on the east side).

Commercial-Broadway Station Upgrade

Some Questions and Answers

How much did the upgrade cost?

The final cost was $9.2 million -- $4 million under budget. The Province of British Columbia contributed $4.27 million, and other funding came from TransLink and the Urban Transportation Showcase Program, jointly funded with up to $1.8 million from Transport Canada and by the City of Vancouver.
It also finished 2-1/2 months ahead of schedule
this is particularly good news for people with disabilities, as their access to the Commercial-Broadway station upper platforms had to be adapted during the time the north end elevator was closed and the south elevator was installed

Why was this upgrade necessary?

Metro Vancouver’s transportation needs are expanding rapidly to meet the demands of the growing region
In 2008, more than 73.5 million trips were taken on SkyTrain, up from 66.3 million in 2005 – a gain of nearly 11% during that time.
Many of the first SkyTrain stations that were opened in 1986 need to be reconfigured to accommodate this increase in ridership. Commercial-Broadway is the first to be upgraded.

Why start here?

Broadway Station – as it was originally called – was not originally intended to be a major transportation centre. The success of the 99 B-Line and the opening of the Millennium Line, however, made the Broadway-Commercial “hub” a very busy transfer point.
Commercial-Broadway is now the busiest hub on the SkyTrain network
More than 140,000 passengers pass through the Commercial-Broadway “hub” every day.
Passenger congestion – with its issues of security, comfort, safety and convenience – is a particular problem at Commercial-Broadway. These upgrades address those issues.

What is included in Phase One?

Glass blocks replace concrete walls, making the station more aesthetically pleasing
The roof now extends from end to end on the platform, providing more protection from the elements
New 10th Avenue entrance, allowing better access for HandyDART
New elevator off the 10th Ave. entrance
The 10th Ave. entrance also provides a “flow-through” passage south from Broadway, eliminating the “dark, dead-end” feel the station had previously
Removal of the elevator on the north side of the platform:
allows better passenger movement on the platform, increasing space for people to wait for trains
safety is improved, as people no longer have to dodge around the elevator shaft to get to their trains
the more open space better distributes customers along the platform, increasing their opportunity to get on the train during rush hours (SkyTrains often have more room at the end furthest from the entrance)
improved lighting
as well as the new elevator, there is also a new escalator at the 10th Ave. entrance

How does the new station design promote safety and security?

The station employs the CPTED principle -- Crime Prevention Through Environmental Design:
Replacing the metal grid and concrete walls with glass blocks provides more natural light and less opportunity for criminals to hide from view
As noted above, lighting is improved – raised to the same standards as at Millennium Line stations
The opening of the 10th Ave. entrance provides a greater “flow-through” feel between Broadway and 10th Ave.
The design of the station makes it more of a community “focal point”, especially with the urban garden project, which opened in the past year on a nearby lot contributed by TransLink and the BC Rapid Transit Company. More “eyes and ears” at more times of day is one of the key elements of CPTED.

Why change the name?

“Commercial-Broadway” is the official new name for The Stations Formerly Known As “Broadway” and “Commercial Drive”. Canada Line has “Broadway-City Hall” Station, and when emergency responders expressed concern that there could be confusion between the stations at a time when a life was on the line, the name for this station was changed.

Is SkyTrain service itself expanding?

The province contributed approximately one-quarter of the cost of purchasing 48 new SkyTrain cars to expand the fleet
Because of the timing of train movements, it’s not possible to increase the number of trains in service, however, it is possible to make the trains longer. This allows each train to “clear” the platform more efficiently and reduce the amount of time people have to wait for trains during peak periods.
Anecdotally, we have reports that waits between trains during peak periods have been significantly reduced since the new cars went into service and other measures – such as running “turnback[1]” trains during the morning rush hour.
These new cars have been going into service to expand the fleet over the course of this year, and should all be in service in time for the 2010 Olympic and Paralympic Winter Games.

Is there a Phase Two, and what other stations will be upgraded?

Phase Two plans include outside platforms to increase capacity even further.
Proceeding is totally dependent on funding.
An upgrade of Main Street/Science World Station is also in the plans, which would include a new elevator on the east side (nearest Pacific Central railway station).

Old Posted Nov 17, 2009, 10:37 PM

I went through Broadway last week when it was almost all done.

At the 10th ave entrance, they have the new Canada Line Style ticket validating machines. The escalator at the back is also like the ones they have at the airport where it slows down when no one is riding it to conserve energy.

It's a nice change and feels almost like a whole new station.

Death to metal mesh walls!

Old Posted Nov 18, 2009, 12:01 AM

BTW I recorded this sometime last week... someone must've dialed the escalator to super slow lol.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2009, 1:38 AM
Vancouver Moderator

Do you think it might the kind where you step on the escalator, and it goes faster (i.e. ones at Airport)

Old Posted Nov 18, 2009, 1:44 AM

I used this escalator once, though more than 2 weeks ago, my memory is that it was actually slow.

I will deliberately use it again tomorrow for the sake of testing it again.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2009, 2:22 AM

"Phase Two plans include outside platforms to increase capacity even further."

So that means the platform extensions on the Expo Line will be without overhead covering extensions? The renderings I've seen so far dispute that.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2009, 2:32 AM
Vancouver Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBeats View Post

So that means the platform extensions on the Expo Line will be without overhead covering extensions? The renderings I've seen so far dispute that.
What renderings are you referring to? If it's the old presentation boards about the Broadway Stn upgrade, they are quite dated. Plans change quite a bit and the stairs/escalator/elevator configuration has also changed since.

I'm guess the platform extensions will be northwards overtop of 10th Avenue.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2009, 2:46 AM
HA

Too bad Translink isn't replacing those brown floor tiles with the newer and more modern tiles a la Canada/Millenium Line ones. Those Expo Line station floor tiles just want to make me puke....

Old Posted Nov 18, 2009, 3:08 AM
Can I has a tunnel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by deasine View Post
Do you think it might the kind where you step on the escalator, and it goes faster (i.e. ones at Airport)
You can see it speed up about 20 seconds into the video. So I'd hope/assume that's the case.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2009, 3:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Mackinnon View Post
You can see it speed up about 20 seconds into the video. So I'd hope/assume that's the case.
Yeah, when I was there on Thursday it was moving slow, and then stepped on it and it sped up quite a bit, like the ones at the airport, like I said in my last post.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2009, 3:22 AM
Vancouver Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCPhil View Post
Yeah, when I was there on Thursday it was moving slow, and then stepped on it and it sped up quite a bit, like the ones at the airport, like I said in my last post.
Totally skipped that part, sorry.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2009, 3:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBeats View Post

I'm only guess here. But to me outside platforms means on the outside of the track like so

Current configuration

T = Train track
P = Platform

TTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT
PPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP
PPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP
TTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

now outside platforms to me would be

PPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP
TTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT
PPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP
PPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP
TTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT
PPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP

Although I could be wrong. Basically double sided loading and unloading

All I can say is that would be wicked

Old Posted Nov 18, 2009, 5:32 AM

I'm sure I saw a rendering, probably years ago now, where the expansion plans for Comm-Broad were actually over Broadway, not 10th. This would make sense given the new elevator location.

I've stared at the station a few times waiting for the 20, and I think you could run 3 car sets if it was expanded like this.... Personally, I think this would be cool.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2009, 6:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lonely Tanner View Post
I'm sure I saw a rendering, probably years ago now, where the expansion plans for Comm-Broad were actually over Broadway, not 10th. This would make sense given the new elevator location.

I've stared at the station a few times waiting for the 20, and I think you could run 3 car sets if it was expanded like this.... Personally, I think this would be cool.
Also, might as well expand closer to the M-Line rather than towards 10th (which is SOUTH for the record).

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure