HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Jul 11, 2013, 5:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R@ptor View Post
Thanks.

Moscow has instantly become one of my favorite cities. It has still retained a bit of a 'Wild East' feeling, the architectural contrasts are interesting to say the least, the metro and all the monuments are stunning and the city itself absolutely enormous.

In a way it is certainly comparable to other major Eastern European cities such as Warsaw, although of course much bigger and most buildings and streets have a much more monumental size.

I was also surprised how multicultural Moscow is. Obviously there are tons of people from the former Soviet republics in Central Asia and the Caucasus, but there are also plenty of recent immigrants from Asia and Africa as well and Chinese seem to make up the largest tourist groups these days by far.

The safety situation has also improved dramatically since the 90s and I actually felt safer in Moscow than I do in Western European cities of comparable size such as London or Paris.

Unfortunately prices are also pretty much on a Western European level these days and in many cases even exceed those.
I lived in Moscow for years and I never came away with such great photos. This is quite a feat of photography! Glad you liked Moscow and you are right about the safety situation, especially in the center. The scary part was when I worked in the suburbs and had to take commuter trains to the center at night-that's when the skinheads come out and my dark hair looked a little too Chechen or Caucasian for some. But once my Russian was good and learned that all the sane commuters ride in the first train car, I felt comfortable almost anywhere in the city.

And you are right about being multi-cultural... granted that there are a ton of really disturbing issues with the treatment of immigrants and even Russians without Moscow registration documents. I get to move back next year and I can't wait to hit up my favorite Georgian cafe!

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos