HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Transportation & Infrastructure

View Poll Results: Which option would you vote in favour?
Option A 2 33.33%
Option B1 2 33.33%
Option B2 1 16.67%
Option B3 1 16.67%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted May 31, 2008, 4:25 AM

It would be nice if they incorporated some "signature design" for the terminals (including eastgate and the proposed university square like they did for Ottawa:

It makes their bus system feel much more like a cohesive network.

Old Posted May 31, 2008, 5:03 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuclearNerd View Post
Wow, some progress! Though I'm not keen on splitting the "terminal" between two locations, I really like the renderings of the revamped mcnab station. Lets go 2009! I was bugging Bratina four years ago to revamp the current place which is super sketchy (try sitting on the benches without holding your nose. So gross. Now try looking up the street for upcoming buses. Ooops, you're blocked by purposeless concrete blocks)
what do you mean "split between 2 locations"??

Old Posted May 31, 2008, 5:16 PM
It's Hammer Time

MacNab (9 bus platforms) and the Hunter St Station (5 bus platforms).

Old Posted May 31, 2008, 6:38 PM
Closed account

all of these renderings look like they are at McNab.
I don't like that idea either....how ridiculous for folks who need to transfer.

Old Posted May 31, 2008, 8:25 PM
It's Hammer Time

Here's the one rendering for the Hunter terminal

Basically 5 bus platforms at the back of the Bus Station.

Old Posted May 31, 2008, 8:27 PM
Closed account

pathetic planning.

Old Posted May 31, 2008, 8:30 PM
It's Hammer Time

It could work if the buses head down John St and stop at Hunter and than head up at James St and allow people to hop out by CIBC/Gore Park area so that they could walk to the pathway to the MacNab Station.

Old Posted May 31, 2008, 10:09 PM

I think the point is, Mountain Buses Will Loop at MacNab (stopping at the Go station as they already do, and making it easy for people to get downtown), and Downtown Buses will go to the Hunter Street station, connecting them with the GO line.

It's actually better than we have right now.

http://forwardhamilton.blogspot.com/

Old Posted Jun 1, 2008, 3:28 AM
Closed account

for a long term plan this is stupid. The point of a downtown terminal was so easy connections could be made for riders. Now they have to know when to get off so they don't miss the other terminal instead of just relaxing until the terminal stop and knowing they can access all transit there.
but whatever.....the day Hamilton learns how to plan will be long after I'm gone.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2008, 4:34 PM
It's Hammer Time

The long term plan is to expand the MacNab Station to the "Future Development Site" next to the path. Probably a station below a building. But until a building is being proposed they'll spilt the two stations.

Last edited by SteelTown; Jun 1, 2008 at 4:45 PM.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2008, 7:11 PM
Closed account

where can I access the document with these renderings and info?
any timelines?

Old Posted Jun 1, 2008, 7:24 PM
It's Hammer Time

Forgot to add the link!

http://www.myhamilton.ca/NR/rdonlyre...PIC1Panels.pdf

There you go.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2008, 7:41 PM

Re splitting between sites: Yep, it's dumb planning that will piss off a lot of mountain commuters who will have to walk five blocks more, but it wasn't staff's original recommendation. All 14 needed bus bays were going to be at MacNab (option B), but the Piggott-Building residents threw up a hell of a fight to keep busses out of that empty lot next door (they prefer the gravel wasteland instead? The noise wouldn't have been any worse than already exists. Sigh)

Old Posted Jun 1, 2008, 7:55 PM

Quote:
Re splitting between sites: Yep, it's dumb planning that will piss off a lot of mountain commuters who will have to walk five blocks more, but it wasn't staff's original recommendation. All 14 needed bus bays were going to be at MacNab (option B), but the Piggott-Building residents threw up a hell of a fight to keep busses out of that empty lot next door (they prefer the gravel wasteland instead? The noise wouldn't have been any worse than already exists. Sigh)
I think the intention is the Mountain buses go to MacNab and the Downtown Buses go to Hunter, which ensures that the extra walk doesn't happen.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2008, 9:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamiltonguy View Post
I think the intention is the Mountain buses go to MacNab and the Downtown Buses go to Hunter, which ensures that the extra walk doesn't happen.
And what happens when you want to transfer from a mountain bus to a downtown bus? Or when you live on the mountain, but work in the high-density core at King & MacNab? I mean a 5 block walk isn't the end of the world, but it will definitely limit the usefulness of the network.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2008, 10:00 PM

Quote:
And what happens when you want to transfer from a mountain bus to a downtown bus? Or when you live on the mountain, but work in the high-density core at King & MacNab? I mean a 5 block walk isn't the end of the world, but it will definitely limit the usefulness of the network.
Umm if the Mountain Buses go to MacNab they have to circle through the Gore Park Area.

To Transfer to the Downtown buses they can get off at Hunter, or King and John (both on the way) and board the Downtown buses there.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2008, 10:26 PM

I see, but where are the mountain busses going to stop on John if not at a platform? If a bunch of transfers start happening at the go-station, then busses will be queueing on the street, which is kind of the opposite of what a terminal is supposed to provide.

The other problem is routing downtown busses up to hunter. That's really going to slow down the B-Line, and prevent hypothetical LRT riders from transferring to other downtown routes like the Barton or Bayfront.

You can't avoid transfer hassles unless the routes all meet up in the same place.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2008, 10:39 PM
It's Hammer Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
Here's the one rendering for the Hunter terminal

Notice the 2nd bus to the left? It's nearly double the size of regular bus therefore the B-Line.

Almost all Mountain buses that I take to the core makes a stop before going under the TH&B Bridge at John St. Most likely they'll hop out of there and walk across to the Hunter St.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2008, 10:54 PM

OK, maybe I'm beating a dead horse here, but rerouting the B-Line up to hunter will definitely slow it down. This when the HSR won't contemplate adding a Gage stop because it would take too much time in the schedule.

Secondly the reason mountain busses can make short stops on John on the way downtown without crowding up is that few people get off there. Most are heading to Gore Park to transfer. If they start transferring at Hunter, you'll see a lot of congestion. If every mountain bus were to stop at Hunter, you'd need as many bays on James/John as the MacNab street station will have no? Lastly, when that same person goes home in the evening, they'll have to wait on a street corner to transfer to a mountain bus, instead of at a proper terminal with amenities, shelter, electronic schedules etc.

But whatever. If this is all we can build politically, lets get on and build it then. It will be better than what we have now.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2008, 10:59 PM
It's Hammer Time

Quote:
If they start transferring at Hunter, you'll see a lot of congestion. If every mountain bus were to stop at Hunter, you'd need as many bays on James/John as the MacNab street station will have no?
Can't take more than 30 seconds to let all the passengers out at John St before the bridge. Nobody will want to get on the bus, that's what will slow it down.

They'll expand the MacNab terminal when the day someone intends to build a building at the parking lot next to the CIBC building.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Transportation & Infrastructure