HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Apr 4, 2014, 12:04 AM

Such a shame. The wanton destruction continues.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2014, 4:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Awesomesauce View Post
Such a shame. The wanton destruction continues.
The city investigated the old Hamilton Psychiatric Hospital buildings in 2009:
http://www.hamilton.ca/NR/rdonlyres/...19PED10020.pdf
but because they are provincially owned they were unable to designate them under the Ontario Heritage Act.

Century Manor is designated under the OHA so it will be spared demolition in the short-term however the Ontario Realty Corporation does not appear to be doing any maintenance on the exterior and will not allow anyone inside to check the interior. Also there has been no plan for its long-term use released publicly.
(The only other designated structure from the original Asylum is the 1891 Root Cellar now used as the Arnie bar at Mohawk College)

In 2011 there was a request for expressions of interest for Gateview House and Grove Hall
http://www.hamiltonnews.com/news/st-...cal-buildings/
According to the article, multiple proposals were received, all were from Hamilton, but obviously none were accepted.

When the billion dollar redevelopment is finished the Public Health Laboratory, Century Manor, the new Juravinski Centre and its new parking lots will remain plus "8 kilometres of walking trails, baseball diamond, soccer field, tennis court, labyrinth, gardens".

I'm curious to know if the Ontario Realty Corporation plans to sell off any of the remaining land for development?

Old Posted Oct 23, 2014, 1:01 AM

Source

Larger Size:

Old Posted Oct 23, 2014, 3:44 AM

I go to Mohawk, and I have to say the new hospital is a huge upgrade from the old one. The landscaping around it is really gorgeous, and the new facility is a big step up from the old one. Definitely adds to the street. That intersection is shaping up to be super cool looking. Hopefully Mohawk's corner building moves ahead.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2015, 6:16 PM
It's Hammer Time

I don't believe we have a separate thread for the Century Manor, so I'll put it here. If you want a separate just let me know.

Could former Hamilton Asylum for the Insane become student housing?
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilt...sing-1.3004960

It's a building that has been described as neglected, derelict, a slum and haunted — but to one local heritage developer, there's nothing scary about the former Hamilton Asylum for the Insane.

"The proposition that it’s been empty for 20 years doesn’t scare us," says Steve Kulakowsky, a partner at developers Core Urban Inc.

Kulakowsky wants to turn the Century Manor, located near St. Joseph’s Healthcare’s West 5th Campus, into student housing for Mohawk College.

Not only that, Kulakowsky says he wants to preserve the building's heritage, something the developer has a knack for with previous projects in the Herkimer Apartments, the Empire Times building, the Witton Lofts, and three other heritage properties on King William Street, not to mention the abandoned alleyway project beside the Sirloin Cellar.

"Century Manor is, as you know, a pretty significant heritage building on the west Mountain. Right now, it’s kind of been derelict. The last time it was used was 1995, mid 90s. Now it’s kind of sitting there rotting," Kulakowsky said.

Whether he and his team get a chance to purchase the Mountain Brow relic is a whole other matter.

Century Manor is one of Hamilton’s oldest buildings and an example of Victorian Gothic architecture. Once called the East House, it was home to a treatment program for alcoholics, a forensic psychiatry program and a school and treatment program for adolescents before it closed in 1995.

The province has declared it a heritage building.

Heritage advocates have accused the building's owner, Infrastructure Ontario (IO), of "demolition by neglect," and were denied access to the building to see its condition.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2015, 10:11 PM
Hammer'd

Damn, Core Urban can't stop and won't stop. I'm definitely a fan of this.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Mar 23, 2015, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt602 View Post
Damn, Core Urban can't stop and won't stop. I'm definitely a fan of this.
There's no end to the work they could potentially get in this city.

This is fantastic news - very excited!

Last edited by Dr Awesomesauce; Mar 24, 2015 at 11:32 PM.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2015, 4:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Awesomesauce View Post
There's no end to the work they could potentially get in this city.

This is potentially fantastic news - very excited!
I think we can let them do whatever they want at this point.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2015, 11:33 PM

^Pretty much - they've certainly gained my trust.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2015, 4:51 PM
Hammer'd

Neat little history plaques there. Too bad the buildings are long gone.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Oct 17, 2015, 4:36 PM
Urban Fanactic

Finally got to see the completed version, I quite like it.

Pictures by me.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2016, 5:02 PM

Anyone know whatever happened to the plans to make the landscape across this property a big, beautiful asset to the community around it? The developers/ St Joe's promoted this building and the property around it as a tranquil place for both mind and body to heal, featuring 8km of walking trails and lovely recreational space between the building and the escarpment.
However, as incredible as the building itself is, I have been quite disappointed by the disregard that has been shown for the rest of the property. A bare-minimum baseball diamond and tennis court sit fenced off (and never used, ever) on the other side of the sprawling parking lot from the main building. Then there is another inaccessible parking lot surface just sitting in the middle of a sprawling unkept field overgrown with weeds and without any trails whatsoever on the Northern-most section of this property. With so much potential for this space, and so much promise from St Joes, I think its current state is a shame.
Can someone tell me that I'm wrong and St Joes has plans to work on the North half of their property soon in order to make it a real community asset?

Old Posted Apr 5, 2016, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Can someone tell me that I'm wrong and St Joes has plans to work on the North half of their property soon in order to make it a real community asset?
Don't expect much movement on the rest of the property, especially from Cash Strapped St.Joes (though their executives take home a pretty penny)

The parkland at the corner of West 5th and Fennell is nice, I think the issue is that the landscaping is very new. Plants take a few years of weathering winter before they start to really grow and fill out in size. Until then they look spindly and dead, but they're actually focusing their energy on establishing a root system. I think the issue is that the trees are still babies and look odd right now. Imagine that area in 10 years when it's filled in. It'll be a lovely, shady place.

As for the parking lot; the government doesn't fund parking structures, but will fund surface parking. Not much one can do here.

I finished school at Mohawk this year and spent a lot of time around the new hospital; I never really noticed any glaring issues :/

Old Posted Sep 13, 2016, 8:02 PM
It's Hammer Time

Do whatever you can to buy Century Manor, group tells city
The former Hamilton Asylum for the Insane building has been empty for 20 years

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilt...city-1.3760272

A group fighting to save Century Manor — a grand three-storey mansion and one of the few remaining buildings from the old Hamilton Asylum for the Insane — wants the city to step up its efforts to buy the land.

Century Manor Task Force 2, led by local heritage advocate Patricia Saunders, is appealing to city council to "do everything in your power to convince our provincial officials, including the premier, that the City of Hamilton should be the rightful owners of this provincial property," she said in a letter.

The task force fears that Infrastructure Ontario (IO) — current owner of the 1884 building — is committing "demolition by neglect." The building has been empty for 20 years, and the province has denied volunteers a look inside.

The manor sits near the escarpment brow on St. Joseph's Healthcare's West 5th campus. Over the years, the heritage building has housed a treatment program for alcoholics, a forensic psychiatry program, and a treatment program and school for adolescents.

Last year, local developer Steve Kulakowsky said he wanted to make it student housing for Mohawk College.

Council will either receive or act on Saunders's letter at a Wednesday council meeting. Terry Whitehead, Ward 8 councillor, says he's open to the suggestion. The city is already investigating buying the lands.

"I'd rather have control of the lands and control of their future rather than putting it in somebody else's hands," he said.

"They're premium lands. Whether we look at green space or different amenities or a jump-off point for future transportation, it could be a whole series of things."

IO said in July that if a not-for-profit or other level of government wants the building, it'll be a direct sale at market value. If not, it will be sold on the open market.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2016, 8:15 PM
It's Hammer Time

I used to work at what used to be called HPH, Hamilton Psychiatric Hospital, to help "prepare" for Y2K. Anyways I've been inside that building, the underground tunnels used to connect directly to the building. I'd imagine they've ripped up the underground tunnels with the new construction.

I've also been inside for Doors Open event, before it got locked away. It definitely has that creepy feel to it. One thing I really remember is the arched hallways. But really the best details to the building is the exterior not the interior. It's kinda boring inside, drop ceiling, large brown radiator heaters and typical 50's/60's style of beige paint colour with a mix or baby blue or lime green.

Last edited by SteelTown; Sep 13, 2016 at 8:26 PM.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2016, 8:54 PM

Yeah it's a very unremarkable building inside. Even on the outside its very plain. Not really the best candidate for a "historic" restoration as there isn't much left to restore. It should be sold to Core Urban, not to the city. They'll never make up their minds about what to do with it

Old Posted Sep 15, 2016, 12:18 AM

Yes, yes and yes.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2016, 2:45 AM
It's Hammer Time

City to study future of Century Manor

http://www.thespec.com/news-story/68...century-manor/

The city will study the feasibility of creating a "land use vision" for the West 5th hospital lands that are home to the failing Century Manor — including the prospect of buying them.

Infrastructure Ontario put 12 hectares of land near St. Joseph's Health Care West 5th campus on the market last year, but indicated government agencies would get the first crack at a sale.

Heritage advocates have agitated to save the derelict former Hamilton Asylum for the Insane, an example of Victorian Gothic architecture and among the city's oldest buildings. It was built in 1884.

Ward Coun. Terry Whitehead earned support for a motion Wednesday that directs staff to report on the cost and feasibility of creating a neighbourhood-driven planning "vision" for the property, including a possible municipal purchase. Whitehead said after the meeting city staff has been in contact with Infrastructure Ontario about the land, but added he has also heard from private developers interested in the prime brow lands.

He said the ideal "Plan A" would be for the city to acquire some or all of the land, if possible. "But Plan B, at last, would be to create some sort of planning controls over the eventual use of the land," he said after the meeting.

It's not clear where Infrastructure Ontario is in its efforts to off-load the surplus lands.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2016, 3:07 PM

The city has no business acquiring this property; they don't have the expertise or the focus to properly put it to use. It should have been sold to Steve Kulakowsky when he pitched the idea of turning it into a student residence.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton