HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Sep 13, 2010, 4:27 PM

Hello,

I just found this thread and wanted to add my two cents, especially to symmetryd (who hopefully is still checking the forum), but also to anyone else who has the wherewithal to develop condos.

This building has fascinated me for years. I don’t know quite what it is about it, although I think it’s to do with the enchanting mix of styles (the ‘Dutch colonial’ bit mixed in with the more traditional warehousy bits and the Victorian bit with the nice storefront at the back). I am so fascinated, in fact, that I decided to poke around about it and found this thread. If this building were converted to condos that work with the original features of the building (so, maintaining the exterior – and hopefully some interior – features that make the building so charming), I would DEFINITELY buy, pretty much the day the signs went up.

My thoughts are in line with emge’s – ideally I would want to be able to customize the space (including size, layout and finishes), and I think that high condo fees are a turnoff in a city where property costs more generally are low. Good soundproofing between units, as well as from the street, would be important. BTW, I’m not a huge fan of the Film Work Lofts, because I feel like they’ve skimped out on the windows, reducing the curb appeal and the “warehouse” feel of the building – I haven’t seen a model suite or anything though, so can’t speak to the interior. And yes, detached housing in Hamilton is CHEAP – but I think there would be a niche for people who are looking for a more urban/modern feel and who would prefer to do without yard maintenance etc. (not to mention renovation headaches…)

The traffic on Cannon is loud and steady, but no worse than other major downtown streets. Parking could be a problem - there are lots nearby of course. Key downtown amenities are very close by (the farmer’s market, James St. N. shops, Copps/Hamilton Place, art galleries); it is a reasonable distance to the downtown GO station (and I hear rumours that the Liuna Station – another urban gem – may be pressed back into service, which would make the GO an easy walk); and Bayfront Park/waterfront trail is not at all far. The park that skirts the south and east side of the building is a real plus. And who knows, maybe a café could run out of the store front? One can only hope…

Old Posted Mar 25, 2011, 11:45 PM

I bought a house within a five minute walk of the knitting mill. I looked for a house for close to two years and feel in love with it. I had seen it on the MLS listings and decided not to look at it based on location only. My real estate guy showed me the house and I decided to buy it, despite the location. Since I have moved in I have not had any issues at all with the neighbourhood at all. That is not to say that some people who wander through may appear a bit off but as of yet no problems at all. My neighbours really look out for one another from shoveling each others snow to helping with project/reno's to keeping an eye on each others properties. I don't own a vehicle and I find within a five minute walk I can get on a bus to take me in any direction within the city. In addition, the go station is walking distance from this location.
I don't know whether condo's would attract families but Dr.Davey's school is a S.K to Grade 8 public school with incredible perks. They offer a free afterschool program for kids which I believe is the only school in the city that offers free childcare for school age children. A breakfast club. The playground is unbelieveable for a school park complete with rockets that spin.
The "new" farmers market and library, theater aquarius, copps collisium, hamilton place, art gallery are all within walking distance.
Many great resturants are within this area too.
The pier complete with walking and biking trails, splash park for kids, trolley rides and boat tours, huge outdoor ice skating rink and a pub/resturant with a massive patio overlooking the harbor is about a 20 minute walk from this location as well.
This area may have it's rough spots but after living in the area for close to two years I absolutely love it and have no regrets buying a house in this neighbourhood.

Sara

Old Posted Mar 26, 2011, 1:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara View Post
I bought a house within a five minute walk of the knitting mill. I looked for a house for close to two years and feel in love with it. I had seen it on the MLS listings and decided not to look at it based on location only. My real estate guy showed me the house and I decided to buy it, despite the location. Since I have moved in I have not had any issues at all with the neighbourhood at all. That is not to say that some people who wander through may appear a bit off but as of yet no problems at all. My neighbours really look out for one another from shoveling each others snow to helping with project/reno's to keeping an eye on each others properties. I don't own a vehicle and I find within a five minute walk I can get on a bus to take me in any direction within the city. In addition, the go station is walking distance from this location.
I don't know whether condo's would attract families but Dr.Davey's school is a S.K to Grade 8 public school with incredible perks. They offer a free afterschool program for kids which I believe is the only school in the city that offers free childcare for school age children. A breakfast club. The playground is unbelieveable for a school park complete with rockets that spin.
The "new" farmers market and library, theater aquarius, copps collisium, hamilton place, art gallery are all within walking distance.
Many great resturants are within this area too.
The pier complete with walking and biking trails, splash park for kids, trolley rides and boat tours, huge outdoor ice skating rink and a pub/resturant with a massive patio overlooking the harbor is about a 20 minute walk from this location as well.
This area may have it's rough spots but after living in the area for close to two years I absolutely love it and have no regrets buying a house in this neighbourhood.

Sara
My experience mirrors your's almost identically. We first moved from Toronto about 3 years ago and many of our friends were very skeptical about us deciding to move to the neighbourhood but I have absolutely no regrets. I am so grateful that I was able to pick up my beautiful house for a steal. I am now involved with the Beasley Neighbourhood Association (see http://ourbeasley.com if you're interested) and we are always organizing big community events and looking for new people to join and help make it an even better place to live, work and play.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2011, 1:19 AM

The For Sale sign is now gone at the Cannon Knitting Mills. Rumour has it that some out of town money from Toronto picked it up for the price of a Scarborough duplex. I also hear the folks from Hotel Hamilton are involved in some capacity.

Can anyone provide more details? Not exactly million dollar loft condo country over here in Beasley, but a live/work space for artists would be great.

Seeing that the Beasley Neighbourhood Association just had a neighbourhood visioning workshop that included this building, I would hope that whoever picked up this gem is willing to work with the community to maximize the benefit for everybody. Lots of potential here, lets make it work....

Old Posted Apr 5, 2011, 3:36 AM
Bruatalism gets no respec

you hope we all hope

i hope it happens

Last edited by realcity; Apr 7, 2011 at 2:51 AM.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2011, 11:44 PM

REAL CITY = EPIC FAIL. Its always negative negative. To me thats worse then the land speculators.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2011, 1:29 AM

I thought realcity was a member of the city's Economic Development department?

Old Posted May 5, 2011, 10:13 PM
It's Hammer Time

Hamilton Realty Capital Corporation (HRCC) purchased the property in late January, 2011, with plans to redevelop the site into residential/condo units, with some additional retail/commercial uses.

http://www.hamilton.ca/NR/rdonlyres/...1_PED11086.pdf

That Hamilton Realty Capital Corporation be approved for funding under the ERASE Municipal Acquisition and Partnership Program (MAPP) – Brownfield Pilot Project in the amount of $13,335.

Old Posted May 6, 2011, 12:52 PM

Thanks for the update SteelTown.

At the Art Gallery of Hamilton forum "Restore, Repurpose or Replace: What happens when a building gets old?" last week, Glen Norton said there was a large vacant downtown property that had been purchased by the city/HRCC but he wouldn't reveal what it was.
Now I can stop guessing!

The Enhanced Reductive Dechlorination process sounds interesting: "ERDenhanced is a proprietary and Patent Pending formulation consisting of food grade additives and a macro-micro nutrient package which leverages existing site conditions, stimulates microbial activities, and effectively expedites contaminant deconstruction."

It would be interesting to find out how long we have to wait after pumping this cocktail under the building to see if it works.

Old Posted May 6, 2011, 1:33 PM

What?! This is some of the best news I have heard for Downtown in a long time! Condo lofts in Beasley?! Fantastic!!

There were rumors floating around that this was going to be torn down. The Bldg fits so well into Beasley Park it's redicilous to imagine the park without it.

I'm ecstatic!! Thanks for the news, Steeltown! Hopefully action starts soon!

Old Posted May 6, 2011, 8:32 PM
Recent Hamiltonian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC1983 View Post
What?! This is some of the best news I have heard for Downtown in a long time! Condo lofts in Beasley?! Fantastic!!

There were rumors floating around that this was going to be torn down. The Bldg fits so well into Beasley Park it's redicilous to imagine the park without it.

I'm ecstatic!! Thanks for the news, Steeltown! Hopefully action starts soon!
I agree! It's a great building.

I'm just glad that it's (mostly) private funding and not another tax-payer funded low-income/RCF/LTCF/otherwise-paid-for-by-your-tax-dollars project.

I can't tell you how nice it is when private funding goes into things like this; it makes me feel like there are other people out there who see the potential in this city instead of the government handing out more handouts with our dollars.

GREAT NEWS!

Old Posted May 24, 2011, 5:05 PM

Nice backdrop for a Loft, IMHO

source: me

Old Posted Jun 28, 2011, 5:11 PM

Cannon Knitting Mills to be Redeveloped

Old Posted Jun 30, 2011, 1:38 AM
It's Hammer Time

Old Posted Mar 13, 2012, 3:29 AM

Beasley Love

All commentary related to the Cannon Knitting Mills building has been from 2011 just about everywhere I look. I hope this plan of redevelopment has not died. I would love to see the area link up the Bay front more and prosper a bit.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2012, 3:38 PM

It probably hasn't died YET. But at the rate the City operates, it could be years before we see any action. Hopefully this project doesn't disappear into the ether like so many others before it.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2012, 3:49 AM

Last edited by Pigeon; Aug 18, 2022 at 11:22 PM.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2012, 2:57 PM

Hamilton Spectator - Thursday, February 9, 2012

"...Chipman Holton became Cannon Knitting Mills , which now is empty and owned by the City of Hamilton and a private developer. Plans to find a new life for the massive mill cheer Ralph and his neighbours.
A little less cheerful is Glen Norton, urban renewal manager for the city. He toured the building last week with contractors who estimated renovation will cost $8 to $12 million. "That's fairly discouraging," he said, but the city is committed to the building he describes as "like Toronto's Distillery District, but under one roof." "

Old Posted Mar 16, 2012, 3:52 PM
Bruatalism gets no respec

a 2-bed unit would have to sell for $500,000. In an area where you can by a house for $130k.

The thing could never make fire code or else there would have to be nothing left of the building. I know some firefighters and they are all fearing the day it catches fire, it's all wood inbedded with decades of fabric fibres.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2012, 6:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by realcity View Post
a 2-bed unit would have to sell for $500,000. In an area where you can by a house for $130k.
Bingo. Here is the problem with most condo conversion opportunities in Hamilton.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton