HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Mar 7, 2017, 3:28 PM

Thanks. It's funny how small it looks in that bottom image. Love to see Montreal with a few more bridges like her.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2017, 3:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I still think of the famous discussion I had with Gerrard about full-frontal male nudity on the 6 o'clock news. "We do that in Toronto TOO!".

Yeah right.
I'm pretty sure I never made the claim about dicks on the evening news hour. But if it makes you feel better to think so, go ahead.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2017, 6:03 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoDrew View Post
LOL, at people who think only their demographic counts. The absurd notions here that somehow Quebec is more artistic then the rest of the country is laughable. Yes BC and Ontario invest way less in the arts which is sad does not mean less arts happen in those two provinces. Both governments really heavily on corporate sponsorship to provide "FREE" for the people music and art. You are just as likely if not more to find a free concert in Toronto as you will in Montreal.

Again LOL for insulting something that doesn't fit into your demographic like somehow you matured from 10 to 25 overnight. LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Here is a list of free concerts probablymore to your liking. It's strange I mean these are good bands, should we not be paying for them?
Luminato
http://www.afrofest.ca/\
http://www.toronto.com/events/indulg...pecaut-square/
http://indie88.com/tag/virgin-mobile-indie-fridays/
http://www.harbourfrontcentre.com/fe...aksandculture/
I'm not going to argue with you because you are quite simply: wrong! If you were only to go to the Jazz Festival and nothing else, you could spend 12 hours per day, for 12 straight days, going from stage to stage to stage.. then there are Francofolies, Nuits d'Afrique, Monde Arabe, St. Jean, Mutek, the MSO, and all the non-music festivals with musical components - Semaine Italienne, Formula 1, Just For Laughs, Mode et Design, Pride, DiversCité. I caught Daniel Bélanger at Tour de l'ile - a cycling festival! And then there are the street parties that last for up to 2 weeks at a time (my little side street has a 2 day St.Jean party) or when Arcade Fire or Jean Leloup will play a random show for 120,000 fans 'just because'. At the height of summer, you can start at St. Laurent and Jean Talon and catch 5 or 6 music festivals all the way through Petite Patrie, the Plateau, downtown, Old Port, to Parc Jean Drapeau.. Hell, MTL probably has more free outdoor winter music than most cities have all year long. We just came off 12 days of Montréal en Lumière, Nuit Blanche (it was -20 something, nobody cared!), Igloofest free weekends, Christmas weekends on the PdA esplanade.. Plus, you can buy drinks (and the world doesn't come to an end!!) There's just no comparison.
Of course there are corporate sponsors but the sponsors always take a back seat to the performers, and just because the show is free doesn't mean that the performers aren't being paid, where did you get that idea?
I think I've been to every festival - free or paid- at least once over the last few years. Every possible style of music, some real surprises and a few that didn't click but who cares? The whole point behind free shows is to entice you to open your ears, hear something you may not have heard before and ultimately, to buy a ticket or CD that you wouldn't have previously considered. It works!
I'll be working one of the St. Laurent street festivals this summer - my buddy's deli- Charcuterie Hongroise. Drop by and I'll buy you a beer and a sausage and direct you to the other 5 or so festivals. You just have to promise to stop spouting nonsense!

Old Posted Mar 7, 2017, 6:40 PM

Old Posted Mar 7, 2017, 8:45 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Mtl View Post
So that's why they were closed a few weeks ago! I went up to the gate and they asked me if I was with the crew. I said yes then laughed and he told me that they were setting up for an event. Must have been the Moment Factory crew.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2017, 1:30 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
. Of course, you tend to lump community together by language and embellish the differences.

Saying "language don't matter" is almost as Canadian as saying "eh"!

Old Posted Mar 8, 2017, 1:31 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Language is culture.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2017, 1:50 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
Language is culture.
Canada is actually one of the rare places in the world that I know of where many people would dispute this.

I think we all know why that is.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2017, 1:51 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerrard View Post
I'm pretty sure I never made the claim about dicks on the evening news hour. But if it makes you feel better to think so, go ahead.
Nice of you to make an appearance, you old chipper, you!

Old Posted Mar 8, 2017, 2:10 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Saying "language don't matter" is almost as Canadian as saying "eh"!
When I moved here, I suddenly realized that my bag full of Seinfeld and Simpsons quotes meant nothing to most people. My spot-on Stuart McLean (RIP) impersonation could not be relied upon to draw the usual laughs. Few people knew what Jon Stewart or Stephen Colbert had said the night before. In order to fit in, I had to watch Tout le Monde en Parle and Infoman instead. I had to learn why I should laugh when someone said "Bravo! Un morceau de robot!" or "J'aime les Pop Tarts!".

In short, I had to acquire an entirety new set of cultural touchstones.

I still find it odd that people think that QC is identical to Canada - only french, but not really. I was just as ignorant, at one time.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2017, 3:48 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTowner View Post
When I moved here, I suddenly realized that my bag full of Seinfeld and Simpsons quotes meant nothing to most people. My spot-on Stuart McLean (RIP) impersonation could not be relied upon to draw the usual laughs. Few people knew what Jon Stewart or Stephen Colbert had said the night before. In order to fit in, I had to watch Tout le Monde en Parle and Infoman instead. I had to learn why I should laugh when someone said "Bravo! Un morceau de robot!" or "J'aime les Pop Tarts!".

In short, I had to acquire an entirety new set of cultural touchstones.

I still find it odd that people think that QC is identical to Canada - only french, but not really. I was just as ignorant, at one time.
Sometimes I wonder if the idea isn't that if it's repeated enough, it will come true. Then they won't have to hear about those nasty separatists or blackmailing Quebec federalists looking for "special status", ever again.

It's kind of like how people repeat stuff in English increasingly loudly to "natives" who don't speak any English, in the hopes (I suppose) that it will eventually sink in.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2017, 8:34 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Sometimes I wonder if the idea isn't that if it's repeated enough, it will come true. Then they won't have to hear about those nasty separatists or blackmailing Quebec federalists looking for "special status", ever again.

It's kind of like how people repeat stuff in English increasingly loudly to "natives" who don't speak any English, in the hopes (I suppose) that it will eventually sink in.
It's almost as if QC is simply English Canada - with subtitles!

BTW, I've also learned to keep a goodly amount of 'playable spoons' in my drawer lol!

Old Posted Mar 8, 2017, 1:35 PM

So anybody have any lights to show?

Old Posted Mar 8, 2017, 11:44 PM
BANNED

UQAM, a few summers ago

Old Posted Mar 8, 2017, 11:58 PM
BANNED

l'Homme de Calder - Parc Jean Drapeau. Scene of Piknic Electronik!

Old Posted Mar 9, 2017, 3:16 AM
BANNED

Park of many colours

Old Posted Mar 9, 2017, 9:02 PM

Could OutOfTowner be Chad that moved to Montreal??

Old Posted Mar 9, 2017, 9:07 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by franktko View Post
Could OutOfTowner be Chad that moved to Montreal??
If you owe Chad money, call me Chad!

Old Posted Mar 9, 2017, 10:50 PM

More testing yesterday at the bridge. They still haven't put the lights in the middle, but it gives a good idea of what it will look like...

Source: TheMontrealBuzz on Flickr

Old Posted Mar 10, 2017, 4:42 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Mtl View Post
More testing yesterday at the bridge. They still haven't put the lights in the middle, but it gives a good idea of what it will look like...
Looking forward to seeing this in person. Love Moment Factory!

Place Émilie Gamelin

And the polar opposite Place Vauquelin

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada