HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia

Old Posted Jun 28, 2010, 7:59 PM
Derp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
I'm sure it will be nice, I just have to find out how to get there. I'm pretty sure I have to take a boat.
I'm pretty sure you can get there by vehicle. I camped at Scotch Creek last year and I'm almost positive I saw a road into Cinnemousin campground on our map.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2010, 2:17 AM

Just got back from 4 days in Glacier National Park in Montana, and I recommend it to everyone, gorgeous place and very natural. If you are going to party, it's not the best place as there are mostly families there, but we didn't have any issues except for our music being too loud one night. It gets really dark there at night, so I would recommend having headband LED lights, those were really handy. The weather was crap though, it was overcast and raining all weekend, but it wasn't too bad.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2010, 6:21 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Sounds like most campgrounds in Banff, except for stiffer alcohol rules here.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2010, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
Sounds like most campgrounds in Banff, except for stiffer alcohol rules here.
Yeah, a lot like Banff, just less busy, and harder to get to, Glacier has a more rustic feel than Banff, not surprisingly a lot like Waterton. Ironically yesterday was crazy busy though, but Americans done mess around on the 4th of July.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2010, 6:17 AM

I'm going camping at Kinbrook Island (Lake Newell, near Brooks) next week. Will let everyone know how it is when I get back

Live or work in the Beltline? Check out the Official Beltline web site here

Old Posted Jul 7, 2010, 8:16 PM
DRINK

the greatest place to camp on earth...

about 10km upstream of fort Smith NWT on the slave river, canada day

Midnight

Old Posted Jul 19, 2010, 6:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mersar View Post
I'm going camping at Kinbrook Island (Lake Newell, near Brooks) next week. Will let everyone know how it is when I get back
Well I got back last night and must say its a great provincial park and campground down there. Its about 10 minutes south of Brooks and we ended up wandering back to Brooks a couple times just to check out the area and the inevitable "oops we forgot to pack something" shopping trip.

Most of the stalls were large and almost all (except our stall of course) were treed enough that there was a lot of shade and sun. Lots of grass area for tents, well maintained and despite being completely booked no loud parties or anything that we noticed. Plus the lake is actually quite swimmable, though its a bit cold. Saturday there were at least a couple hundred people on the beach all afternoon. Lots of birds and a lot of gophers, but not really enough to be a problem around the camp sites.

Definitely on my list of places to camp again in the future.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2010, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mersar View Post
Well I got back last night and must say its a great provincial park and campground down there. Its about 10 minutes south of Brooks and we ended up wandering back to Brooks a couple times just to check out the area and the inevitable "oops we forgot to pack something" shopping trip.

Most of the stalls were large and almost all (except our stall of course) were treed enough that there was a lot of shade and sun. Lots of grass area for tents, well maintained and despite being completely booked no loud parties or anything that we noticed. Plus the lake is actually quite swimmable, though its a bit cold. Saturday there were at least a couple hundred people on the beach all afternoon. Lots of birds and a lot of gophers, but not really enough to be a problem around the camp sites.

Definitely on my list of places to camp again in the future.

Never even heard of it. lol

Did you make a trek to Dinosaur? it looks pretty close.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2010, 3:41 PM
Derp

Can anyone recommend a campground near Rocky Mountain House/Nordegg? Looking to plan a trip toward the end of August in that area.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2010, 8:11 PM

I went here last August Long weekend:
http://www.davidthompsonresort.com/

We were able to book last minute, and there were still a few empty spots, but still quite full. It is not as wooded as provincial or federal park campgrounds, but the sites are still reasonable. We had two tents, and two cars fit comfortably, and still a few trees between us and our neighbours.

And, there is a "pub" at the campground, with a large roof so if the weather turns bad (which it did) you could hide out in there for the evening.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2010, 10:49 PM
Beer me Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExcaliburKid View Post
Can anyone recommend a campground near Rocky Mountain House/Nordegg? Looking to plan a trip toward the end of August in that area.
Depending on what you're looking for, Crimson lake is nice. Here is the provincal rec area locator tool from the Gov of Alberta.

Regarding the previous discussion on Kinbrook Island ... been there a number of times and it's a great family campground. Do not go there with the intent to party as I have seen them kick groups out for just bending the rules. (makes sense as it is very family oriented)

Also, it tends to get real busy most weekends (Mersar - did you have reservations??) so either book ahead, arrive on Thursday night or pray to the gods.

Do something about your future.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2010, 10:51 PM
DRINK

Quote:
There is a shit load of crown land along lake abraham that is partially cleared for camping. Some fantastic spots.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2010, 4:45 PM
Derp

Thanks guys, I'll look into those options.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2010, 5:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
Never even heard of it. lol

Did you make a trek to Dinosaur? it looks pretty close.
Nope. We took in a few of the tourist sites around there (the Brooks Aqueduct is cool if you're into architecture, should find and post the photos I took of it), but didn't wander too far from there.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2010, 4:57 PM

Just got back from camping in the Shuswap. I was at Cinemousun Narrows Provincial Park, right where all 4 arms of the lake meet. We went from Thursday night to Monday morning. We drove to Sicamous, parked our car there, then rented a party pontoon boat and sailed on up the Salmon Arm to the narrows (30 minute boat ride). Our sites were right on the beach (which sadly was very rocky) so I woke up every morning to the sound of waves and boats. Here are some shots of the lake and our site. The weather was gorgeous, low 30's every day. The wind picked up and it thunder-stormed a bit on Sunday night, but is was pretty good all in all.

We were on the west edge of the Narrows on the main arm of the lake. Here are the western 2 arms of the lake from NE to SW.

Our site.

Trail up to the outhouses behind us.

View from one hiking trail through the trees. About 50m above the lake.

View from the higher trail, about 150m above the lake.

My tent roasting in the evening sun. It was scorching hot in there.

Sun setting on the lake.

The Sea Store.

The other floating store. This one has a bar on the second floor.

LEaving Monday

Old Posted Apr 10, 2011, 8:59 AM

Can't Wait

Can't wait to get camping this year...it's been a long, long winter.

Old Posted May 31, 2011, 3:36 AM

Anyone know of some good campgrounds in the Okanagan / Shuswap area?

Old Posted May 31, 2011, 5:09 PM
Derp

I can recommend Scotch Creek in the Shuswap area. Provincial campground so all amenities are there. Plus there's an awesome mini-golf place at the entrance. Large campsites, tents or trailers welcome. Very large campground.
A little further off Shuswap is Adams Lake P.P., which is less crowded but equally beautiful. They have a great beach and good fishing.

Stayed at a small place called Cedar Falls near Vernon a couple years ago, nice hiking trails and an awesome waterfall. Tents and trailers, showers, laundry and flush toilets. Was something like $30 a night for 1 site, 2 tents.

Hope this is helpful

Old Posted May 31, 2011, 8:10 PM
HVAC guru

^ heh... Cedar Falls campground is about 30 seconds down the road from my beautiful old Steiner Arch "A" frame house in the woods over looking the Tillicum valley. I miss it up there a lot.. what a great place to live

Old Posted May 31, 2011, 9:20 PM

Quote:
I can recommend Scotch Creek in the Shuswap area. Provincial campground so all amenities are there. Plus there's an awesome mini-golf place at the entrance. Large campsites, tents or trailers welcome. Very large campground.
A little further off Shuswap is Adams Lake P.P., which is less crowded but equally beautiful. They have a great beach and good fishing.

Stayed at a small place called Cedar Falls near Vernon a couple years ago, nice hiking trails and an awesome waterfall. Tents and trailers, showers, laundry and flush toilets. Was something like $30 a night for 1 site, 2 tents.

Hope this is helpful
Thanks Excalibur

All those look pretty good. I was considering going back to the Narrows (pictures I posted above) but the boat rental to get out there and stay for a few days is extremely expensive.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia