HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jun 6, 2013, 5:52 PM

http://www.miamitodaynews.com/news/130606/story3.shtml

Quote:
6,999 hotel rooms downtown, more due

By Blanca Venegas
Brickell and Downtown Miami have 31 hotels comprising 6,999 rooms. Yet hotel industry experts project a significant growth over the next few years.
According to Wendy Kallergis, president and CEO of the Greater Miami & the Beaches Hotel Association, the 6,999 rooms include the recently-built Aloft Hotel Miami Brickell — set to open June 20 — and the recently-opened b2 Miami Downtown.
There will be significant growth over the next few years, she said, with the addition of Brickell Citicentre and SLS Brickell Hotel and Residences.
Additionally, Ms. Kallergis said, the recent announcement of an MDM Miami Convention Center Hotel project downtown and the Resorts World Miami land purchase in the Omni area could potentially add at least 2,500 rooms to the area.
"With the increase of conference and meeting space, the group business will increase as well as the transient, international and luxury market," she said.
Brickell CityCentre will have 236 rooms in its East hotel, while SLS Brickell Hotel and Residences will have 133 rooms and suites.
"We predict that over the next five years, we will have 7,500 to 10,000 additional rooms in Miami-Dade County," Ms. Kallergis said.
The total of Brickell rooms is 2,024 at the moment.
Sig Varela, general manager at b2 Miami Downtown hotel, said that since downtown has taken a turn in its revitalization, going from an aged shopping district to incorporating performing arts, developers are building new hotels in the area and will very likely continue to do so in the next years.
"The growth in downtown is amazing," Mr. Varela said. "Commercial rental space is something that is moving forward very positively, and businesses are coming to downtown, whereas before they stayed further out from the center of the city."
"Downtown has a number of components that are attractive to visitors, because of entertainment and food, and from a price point also it can be more attractive than staying at the beach," Mr. Varela added.
b2 Miami Downtown hotel has 243 rooms. Rates start at $99 per night.
Mr. Varela also said the downtown market has been able to maintain essentially flat occupancy compared to last year and has been able to increase the average daily rate. "That says that demand is maintaining and the disposable income, particularly from the leisure market, is increasing, allowing for that growth in the average daily rate."

Old Posted Jun 6, 2013, 6:07 PM
An Optimistic Realist

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumX View Post

That is what the 2005 agreement was all about and what you see in the map above is the result.
Since that's the case, I guess we will have to wait a little while longer for the skyline to fill up and the city to gain more importance before we call for taller buildings to be constructed. A good argument for the FAA to raise up the height limit a bit more could be formed then.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2013, 6:40 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd3189 View Post
Since that's the case, I guess we will have to wait a little while longer for the skyline to fill up and the city to gain more importance before we call for taller buildings to be constructed. A good argument for the FAA to raise up the height limit a bit more could be formed then.
On what basis would they raise the height limit again? We're talking aviation safety here, not what we want or what the city wants. In the Herald article regarding the 2005 agreement, the FAA was pretty adamant about this being IT and not budging any more than this.

If anything, they won't to lower the height limit per the new "emergency air space" rule, but are standing by the 2005 agreement as far as Miami is concerned for the sake of continued development. They can't just arbitrarily raise the height limit based on what we want.
[B][I]"I'm going to bet you that [U]when we're done [/U]-- [U]I don't know when that will be [/U]-- historians will identify this as the most significant and rapid transformation of an American city.'' Former Miami City Commissioner 05/22/05[/I][/B]

Old Posted Jun 11, 2013, 3:58 PM
Honored Member

I don't know what the height limit was before the 2005 agreement, but I think it was 800 feet. The Four Seasons was originally planned to be over 900 feet tall where it is now, but the FAA said no way, and they brought the building down to 794 feet. I understand it eventually settled into the ground another 5 feet and that's how we got 789.

The City of Miami and developers took the FAA and MIA to task with what I believe was the argument that such stringent height restrictions were not necessary with today's aviation technology, and so we got the 1,010 feet in the areas indicated on the map, but the FAA said that's it for sake of aviation safety.

Courtesy of Born in the Grove of the Miami forum of SSC

[B][I]"I'm going to bet you that [U]when we're done [/U]-- [U]I don't know when that will be [/U]-- historians will identify this as the most significant and rapid transformation of an American city.'' Former Miami City Commissioner 05/22/05[/I][/B]

Last edited by QuantumX; Jun 12, 2013 at 4:17 PM.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2013, 12:17 AM
BANNED

Quote:
I don't know what the height limit was before the 2005 agreement, but I think it was 800 feet. The Four Seasons was originally planned to be over 900 feet tall where it is now, but the FAA said no way, and they brought the building down to 794 feet. I understand it eventually settled into the ground another 5 feet and that's how we got 789.

The City of Miami and developers took the FAA and MIA to task with what I believe was the argument that such stringent height restrictions were not necessary with today's aviation technology, and so we got the 1,010 feet in the areas indicated on the map, but the FAA said that's it for sake of aviation safety.

Put a No Fly zone.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2013, 4:24 AM

Dude, just shut up. It's not going to happen unless you can somehow get MIA to move their runways and such.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2013, 5:09 AM
BANNED

Just let him go. I think he might be retarded.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2013, 1:34 PM

You are obviously forgetting about the new tunnel to be built from the airport to Key Biscayne so that planes can fly from MIA under downtown, thus allowing the twin colossus' of Verticus and Miapolis to finally be realized.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2013, 1:49 PM
BANNED

Yeah! Where the FAA can't mess with the skyline.

Miami is gonna be so huge.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2013, 6:17 PM

Back in the real world, the exmiami guys are reporting that Tibor Hollo has submitted plans for a 1,208 unit complex for the Villa Magna Site. Hopefully the design is a lot better than the boring ~2007 design.

Last edited by dave8721; Jun 12, 2013 at 7:29 PM.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2013, 9:10 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave8721 View Post
Back in the real world, the exmiami guys are reporting that Tibor Hollo has submitted plans for a 1,208 unit complex for the Villa Magna Site. Hopefully the design is a lot better than the boring ~2007 design.
I hope it's just one taller building rather than the twins. You can see the site in the first couple of photos above.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2013, 10:51 PM
BANNED

Quote:
You are obviously forgetting about the new tunnel to be built from the airport to Key Biscayne so that planes can fly from MIA under downtown, thus allowing the twin colossus' of Verticus and Miapolis to finally be realized.
And of course empire world towers.

I Hope this happens finally.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2013, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by futuresooner View Post
Dude, just shut up. It's not going to happen unless you can somehow get MIA to move their runways and such.
Hey! That's not very nice. You can't say that. There is no way to move the runway. The runway is here to stay.

Quote:
Actually, this is for Port of Miami, but not at MIA. Right now, they still under constructions, and it will be completion sometime in between 2014 or 2015. Because it was too many traffic in downtown Miami. Due to the congestion. Too many trucks, buses and etc.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2013, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Private Dick View Post
Yeah! Where the FAA can't mess with the skyline.

Miami is gonna be so huge.
Ignore the FAA! FAA is smartass. Don't say anything about FAA.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2013, 1:20 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by N830MH View Post

Actually, this is for Port of Miami, but not at MIA. Right now, they still under constructions, and it will be completion sometime in between 2014 or 2015. Because it was too many traffic in downtown Miami. Due to the congestion. Too many trucks, buses and etc.
Yeah, and when the planes are using the tunnel too, it's gonna be REALLY congestion!

Old Posted Jun 14, 2013, 11:52 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Private Dick View Post
Yeah, and when the planes are using the tunnel too, it's gonna be REALLY congestion!
I Hope this happens one day, so that miapolis, empire world towers will defintely become a reality.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2013, 9:50 AM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyscraperfan23 View Post
I Hope this happens one day, so that miapolis, empire world towers will defintely become a reality.
You hope what happens one day? Planes flying through a tunnel underneath downtown Miami?

The people behind the towers you've mentioned have moved on. Somebody else would have to do a similar project.

Also, you've been told time-and-time again about quoting whole blocks photos and repeating them just to respond to something somebody said with a few words like "Put a no fly zone," which isn't possible in downtown Miami with where the airport is in relationship to downtown.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2013, 3:47 PM
BANNED

Quote:
You hope what happens one day? Planes flying through a tunnel underneath downtown Miami?

The people behind the towers you've mentioned have moved on. Somebody else would have to do a similar project.

Also, you've been told time-and-time again about quoting whole blocks photos and repeating them just to respond to something somebody said with a few words like "Put a no fly zone," which isn't possible in downtown Miami with where the airport is in relationship to downtown.
Wait until the plane crashes into those buildings.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2013, 4:04 AM
An Optimistic Realist

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyscraperfan23 View Post
Wait until the plane crashes into those buildings.
You just went full retard man. Never go full retard.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2013, 4:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd3189 View Post
You just went full retard man. Never go full retard.
Hey! That's not very nice. You can't call him retard. It's very inappropriate. Don't ever call him again.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations