HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Oct 10, 2012, 9:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcp11889 View Post
Apparently, an investor is planning on creating a low-cost regional airline hub with flights to every major city in Louisiana. This sounds pretty awesome.

http://www.businessreport.com/articl...daily-reportAM
Interesting... there is also an article about this in CityBusiness:
http://neworleanscitybusiness.com/bl...-its-doubters/

Republic Airways (Frontier's parent company) has a market cap of about 250 million, so I suppose maybe a leveraged buyout isn't too far out of reach. However, a search of the SOS Database says that M7 capital is not in good standing for failure to file an annual report. I can't find much about the members.

This article:
http://theadvocate.com/news/neworlea...ed-to-add-4000

mentions that "New Orleans is also a finalist for five large projects, with code names such as “Acme,” “Hot Brick” and “Yale.” Combined those projects would represent a $1.8 billion investment in the region, and would create 2,350 jobs." Does anybody know what these projects are?

Last edited by Chris from N.O.; Oct 10, 2012 at 9:34 PM.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2012, 10:55 PM
TL;DR

I know the USPTO was looking to expand wih regional offices and Mary Landrieu was pushing for a NOLA office. Should give us a few hundred direct jobs and some indirect jobs in the patent-law industry if we are selected.

I'm not sure how the study breaks up regions, but I imagine the North Shore might be in line for some more oil jobs. Probably some manufacturing in Michoud too.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2012, 12:23 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris from N.O. View Post
Interesting... there is also an article about this in CityBusiness:
http://neworleanscitybusiness.com/bl...-its-doubters/

Republic Airways (Frontier's parent company) has a market cap of about 250 million, so I suppose maybe a leveraged buyout isn't too far out of reach. However, a search of the SOS Database says that M7 capital is not in good standing for failure to file an annual report. I can't find much about the members.

This article:
http://theadvocate.com/news/neworlea...ed-to-add-4000

mentions that "New Orleans is also a finalist for five large projects, with code names such as “Acme,” “Hot Brick” and “Yale.” Combined those projects would represent a $1.8 billion investment in the region, and would create 2,350 jobs." Does anybody know what these projects are?

Theres a lot of problems with that article. The main one being it puts St Charles Parish in the Baton Rouge metro area which it most certainly isnt.

Zimple Quad Residence Hall

Multi-Residential Design
Sector Est. Start Date
Private Wednesday, January 1, 2014
Estimated Value*
$10,000,000.00
Address
Zimple Street
New Orleans, LA 70118
Orleans County
New Orleans-Metairie-Kenner, LA Region
Description Site work and new construction of a multi-residential education facility in New Orleans. Design development plans call for the construction of a university residence hall.

Bayou Segnette State Park New Group Camp

Sector Est. Start Date
Public Wednesday, October 17, 2012
Estimated Value* Solicitation #
$2,546,000.00 06-264-02B-26, Part 04
Address
7777 Westbank Expressway
Westwego, LA 70094
Jefferson County
New Orleans-Metairie-Kenner, LA Region

Last edited by tennis1400; Oct 11, 2012 at 12:33 AM.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2012, 3:12 AM

For those interested in the airline proposal, this is their website:
http://newfrontierairlines.com/

Old Posted Oct 11, 2012, 2:45 PM
-

Quote:
wish people would proofread sometimes

" The US federal government has spent over US$100 million on New Orleans since Hurricane Katrina. "lol

Also its existing flight destination is off since we do currently have direct service to San Francisco, Salt Lake City and Milwaukee. So they need to correct some things.

That website also is confusing in that it says the consulting group does not agree with the plan. lol What the hell?

Last edited by tennis1400; Oct 11, 2012 at 2:58 PM.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2012, 2:57 PM

Quote:
This, in my mind, is such a typical pie-in-the-sky type proposal that has sketchy backing, lots of promises, and requires heavy subsidies. It's likely to never happen and probably for good reason.

Like one of the article mentions, if you subsidize one airline at $50 per "new passenger to LA" you are going to extremely aggravate the other carriers who are more legitimate since they can't compete fairly. They'll probably leave the market and then you have one dominate, low quality airline running the whole show.

It's bad all around in my opinion. I would be head over heels if someone like Southwest wanted to open a hub here, but not these folks. Stinks like rotten eggs.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2012, 3:38 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceCream View Post
This, in my mind, is such a typical pie-in-the-sky type proposal that has sketchy backing, lots of promises, and requires heavy subsidies. It's likely to never happen and probably for good reason.

Like one of the article mentions, if you subsidize one airline at $50 per "new passenger to LA" you are going to extremely aggravate the other carriers who are more legitimate since they can't compete fairly. They'll probably leave the market and then you have one dominate, low quality airline running the whole show.

It's bad all around in my opinion. I would be head over heels if someone like Southwest wanted to open a hub here, but not these folks. Stinks like rotten eggs.
Exactly if you want a hub for an airline go after the one thing they care about operating cost. Thats all that matters. Now if they said they wanted to start an airline to service markets that no one else will service say like all 6 airports in Louisiana than that's OK and do code shares with the majors and that could be a very successful model.
Even if the airline hub became successful you don't want to piss off the other airlines. Many business travelers are loyal to a certain airline and you would hurt yourself if Delta decides to leave completely or drastically reduces service. Its unfortunate for New Orleans that we are smack dab in the middle of four hub airports that most of the majors operate out of.Now, I do think there are opportunities to grow but probably meeting with one of the carriers already here would be better. I would love Frontier to move here but only if all the benefits they get are offered to every other airline currently operating at MSY.

Oh and one obvious thing that stinks is they quote Roy Williams.. Our former airport director who did a crap job and was indicted on federal charges. If these people are serious then they will fail miserably because they cant launch a site with even the most basic proofreading. Not to mention cant get reputable people to back them up!

Basically if you want service to unserved markets you offfer any airline that subsidy to do that route. So if you want direct flights to seattle... offer any airline the subsidy. Simple really!

Old Posted Oct 11, 2012, 4:14 PM

This "proposal" has a ZERO percent chance of happening. First off, Frontier Airlines is not interested in selling to this group. Second, the mayor and airport director are smartly leery of subsidizing one airline over all others. This would decimate the very good level of service our region already experiences from the incumbent airlines. Outside of SEA, SAN, and AUS, all of the major markets where there is enough demand to support non-stop service are served.

Service will expand as demand increases in the area. This is already happening given the expansion of service by Southwest over the next few months, and the introduction of service by Spirit Airlines in January.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2012, 8:51 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlidellWx View Post
This "proposal" has a ZERO percent chance of happening. First off, Frontier Airlines is not interested in selling to this group. Second, the mayor and airport director are smartly leery of subsidizing one airline over all others. This would decimate the very good level of service our region already experiences from the incumbent airlines. Outside of SEA, SAN, and AUS, all of the major markets where there is enough demand to support non-stop service are served.

Service will expand as demand increases in the area. This is already happening given the expansion of service by Southwest over the next few months, and the introduction of service by Spirit Airlines in January.
Exactly and I think the state would be in smart subsidizing service(open to all airlines) to Austin, San Antonio, Seattle, San Diego, Portland, Indianapolis, Pittsburg, Oklahoma City, Alberquerque, Charleston, San Jose and Jacksonville if need be. As far as international... Id love a push for London or Paris or Amsterdam flight. Cancun would be a good one too.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2012, 8:58 PM

Well I'm a confessed transportation junkie so forgive me for my excitement (however unrealistic it may be). The person who is behind this is Mike Hammer, who is apparently an investment banker.

I just can't worry too much about pissing the other airlines off. I doubt any off them would drop service to their major hubs, Atlanta especially. Airlines don't give up on flights to major cities just because of a little competition.

Is the whole idea a non-starter? Most likely. But it's one of the biggest businesses proposals in recent LA history and I think that alone merits it some consideration.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2012, 9:18 PM
-

Quote:
Well I'm a confessed transportation junkie so forgive me for my excitement (however unrealistic it may be). The person who is behind this is Mike Hammer, who is apparently an investment banker.

I just can't worry too much about pissing the other airlines off. I doubt any off them would drop service to their major hubs, Atlanta especially. Airlines don't give up on flights to major cities just because of a little competition.

Is the whole idea a non-starter? Most likely. But it's one of the biggest businesses proposals in recent LA history and I think that alone merits it some consideration.
I dont have a problem with the whole concept it just doesnt seem completely flushed out to me. If the proposal said they wont service any airports currently served then Id even be cool with that.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2012, 1:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
I know the USPTO was looking to expand wih regional offices and Mary Landrieu was pushing for a NOLA office. Should give us a few hundred direct jobs and some indirect jobs in the patent-law industry if we are selected.

I'm not sure how the study breaks up regions, but I imagine the North Shore might be in line for some more oil jobs. Probably some manufacturing in Michoud too.
Unfortunately, that's one I think we lost to Dallas, Denver, Silicon Valley and Detroit. Which, to be fair, have considerable more regional patent activity than New Orleans. http://www.uspto.gov/news/pr/2012/12-53.jsp

Old Posted Oct 12, 2012, 3:05 PM
TL;DR

Okay, Denver and Silicon Valley make sense, but Dallas? Way to screw over the South, guys.

Feels like we're stuck in a feedback loop where the industries that don't exist here yet don't want to set up here. I do know that we need to shift away from reliance on the oil industry... They destroy our wetlands and buy us off with well-paying jobs.

Last edited by ardecila; Oct 12, 2012 at 3:16 PM.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2012, 3:45 PM

Work on Milne Boys Home in Gentilly begins, seven years after Hurricane Katrina

http://www.nola.com/politics/index.s...me_in_gen.html

Quote:
Work on Milne Boys Home in Gentilly begins, seven years after Hurricane Katrina

The Milne Boys Home is a squatter's dream. The seven antebellum-style buildings that make up the Gentilly campus have sat empty since Hurricane Katrina, rotting from the inside as the grass surrounding them grew into a waist-high jungle.

Thin sheets of plywood, ripped away from windows, lie in patches of dirt, allowing easy access to the interiors. Inside the gymnasium where troubled children were once taught discipline, the walls are covered in graffiti, some of it gang-related, some of it just obscene....

- TP
Never soon enough..

Old Posted Oct 12, 2012, 10:20 PM
-

Oil & Vinegar chain to open first New Orleans area store
(access required)
POSTED: 12:04 PM Monday, October 8, 2012
BY: Maria Clark, Staff Writer
TAGS: Colonial Pinnacle Nor du Lac, food, gourmet, Oil & Vinegar, Pemmie Sheasby Shop owner Pemmie Sheasby bought the franchise for Louisiana and said she is planning to open two additional locations in Baton Rouge and Lafayette over the next three years.

Team plans new tapas restaurant for Bywater
(access required)
POSTED: 10:14 AM Tuesday, October 9, 2012
BY: Maria Clark, Staff Writer
TAGS: Booty's, Byqater, Kevn Farrell, New Orleans, Nick Vivion, restaurant, tapas

During the renovation process of the 150-year old building, the owners uncovered remnants of its history as a pharmacy and a video store.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2012, 11:35 PM
Show me the blueprints

Put a bird on it!

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Oct 13, 2012, 9:14 AM
TL;DR

Hipster heaven, and it couldn't be farther from the Bywater.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2012, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceCream View Post
Yes, that back parking lot on Union between Carondelet and Baronne, french quarter side of the street (directly behind the hibernia building itself).

Googlemap: http://goo.gl/maps/koXxt
Do you know if there are any plans for commercial lease space at street level or will it be just a garage? Seems like it would be a good opportunity to add something other than parking at street level

Old Posted Oct 13, 2012, 4:55 PM

An in-depth look at the former New Orleans Free School property on Camp Street that is going up for auction:
http://uptownmessenger.com/2012/10/f...auction-block/

Old Posted Oct 14, 2012, 5:14 PM

Velvet Espresso is opening up a second location on OC Haley!

http://www.nola.com/dining/index.ssf...l#incart_river

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations