HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 26, 2016, 5:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberguy View Post
I check this thread ongoing..Everyday, you see this image change. In a year, they're going to have to move that cam..lol

Old Posted May 26, 2016, 6:20 PM

Chugging along with the caissons. It hard to remember where exactly they've drilled. But in general the east and south areas of the site. Pretty sure they have some towards the middle as well. Moving in a NW direction.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2016, 8:15 PM

This is interesting...

"TNSE president Jim Ludlow said developers have planned True North Square with some wiggle room and suggested it may come in handy given “we have more interest in space than we have space” for the mixed-use development in the heart of Winnipeg’s Sports, Hospitality, and Entertainment District.

“The answer would be yes to that,” Ludlow said, when asked if any of the project may be built larger than forecast. “At the right time, frankly which is now because it’s a construction project, we are thinking about some of that.” "

Winnipeg Sun: http://www.winnipegsun.com/2016/06/0...xpanded-ludlow

Old Posted Jun 3, 2016, 8:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oftheMoon View Post
This is interesting...

"TNSE president Jim Ludlow said developers have planned True North Square with some wiggle room and suggested it may come in handy given “we have more interest in space than we have space” for the mixed-use development in the heart of Winnipeg’s Sports, Hospitality, and Entertainment District.

“The answer would be yes to that,” Ludlow said, when asked if any of the project may be built larger than forecast. “At the right time, frankly which is now because it’s a construction project, we are thinking about some of that.” "

Winnipeg Sun: http://www.winnipegsun.com/2016/06/0...xpanded-ludlow
That's a surprise. The plans don't leave much room for extra towers, so I'm assuming that they could build the planned ones a bit taller.

It would be nice to see the first two towers break the 30-storey barrier... 37/34 instead of 27/24 would be quite a coup.

I wonder where all the interest is coming from given that there is room to spare in many of Winnipeg's other towers?

Old Posted Jun 3, 2016, 8:28 PM

^^^ interest in the "mixed-use". Retail? Lots of folks interested in the condos? Seems it may go beyond the commercial space maybe.

This is intriguing...

Old Posted Jun 3, 2016, 8:32 PM

^ I would think the interest must be in the office and perhaps retail space... I'm not sure how they'd even gauge interest in the residences at this point. Have they even begun marketing that tower?

How about this? Keep the existing tower 1 and 2 heights, combine the Sutton Place hotel and condos into a 36-ish storey tower and then you free up space for another 20-ish storey office building next to it?

I'd prefer if they didn't add more retail space... that could encourage some potential tenants to consider Cityplace and the various skywalk CRUs.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2016, 8:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
That's a surprise. The plans don't leave much room for extra towers, so I'm assuming that they could build the planned ones a bit taller.

It would be nice to see the first two towers break the 30-storey barrier... 37/34 instead of 27/24 would be quite a coup.

I wonder where all the interest is coming from given that there is room to spare in many of Winnipeg's other towers?
The Dreamscape Office of Planning and Development will need at least 10 floors.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2016, 8:45 PM

Lol Dreamscape will never die!

I was thinking about this while watching the construction cam, if it would be possible to add more buildings in the future. The entire site will have a foundation below it for teh parkade.

It would come down to a similar situation that 300/360 Main is going through right now. What can the foundation support? Seems TNS is installing caissons throughout the entire site, even for locations where there is only a parkade below. Maybe I'm wrong on that, but seems that way IMO.

But if they're already planning on increasing scope of the project now, they could adjust the foundations are required. maybe they'll just make the two existing buildings bigger, like you guys mentioned. Which could still be an issue as they've already installed a lot of caissons.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2016, 8:46 PM

Old Posted Jun 3, 2016, 8:47 PM

^ Tribute to Gord Downie?

Old Posted Jun 3, 2016, 8:48 PM

Haha yeah maybe! I've seen Jim a few times around City Place. Hat doesn't really suit him IMO, but who am I to judge.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2016, 8:51 PM

re: expanding TNS

There is, I suppose, the Cathedral-owned lot at the corner of Carlton and St. Mary's. I'm not sure what plans the Cathedral has for it... I doubt there is a new building in the cards for them. Perhaps it could be sold off to make way for another tower? Years ago TV posted a rendering of a tower intended for that site, so clearly someone has given it some serious thought.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2016, 8:52 PM

Also, I'd be curious to know whether Ludlow gave any details re: start dates for each of the towers. How's the Sutton Place component coming along? Any more retail tenants? Inquiring minds want to know!

Old Posted Jun 3, 2016, 9:31 PM

Just as a side note there was a cameraman with somebody in a PCL high VIZ vest doing filming in the pit about 6pm last night. Probably some internal promotional video as the PCL guy was gestering at different things.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2016, 12:24 AM

Very interesting re: potential expansion

This project seems to have become bigger in scope from its initial "3 tower" smaller buildings to current 4 tower proposal; if it ends up becoming even a bit bigger that would be neat.

Can't say I recall too many times where a project gets bigger during early construction

Also interesting Mr Ludlow mentioned "now" would be the time to figure that out. True North doesn't seem like the type to talk about it if they aren't seriously considering it.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2016, 3:22 AM

would love if it secretly becomes the city's new tallest..

Old Posted Jun 4, 2016, 3:56 AM

TNS Possible increase in footprint

Just a guess on my part but I am thinking no more towers can fit properly but each one will be taller?
I think the ScotiaBank / Tower 1 , if it is not already too late, might go from the proposed 17 to be 21 - 23 floors and the Second tower, instead of 24... more like 28 to 32? I think the second tower will be the one that increases most from the original design..Sutton Place Hotel could easily go from 27 to 30 or even 33? A plea for more hotels and rooms was mentioned by The RBC Convention Centre last weekend as 4 large conventions left the downtown with little space and overflow going to airport area.. We need to try and keep our visitors downtown if the conventions are there...means we could use more rooms and another major hotel or 2 ? Also, Place Louis Riel is being converted to rental so we lose 314 rooms eventually and that could alone make room for one more major hotel not including demand because of the increased size and use of the RBC convention centre?
Hoping down the road for Westin and perhaps Hilton, Mariott or Hyatt? Likely towards Portage and Main. Might even be room for a third.
Our major downtown hotels are 40 - 45 years old and we need some new fresh hotels and competition to encourage the old ones be refreshed..
Not sure if the Sutton 17 floor condo will be marketed until D condos is finished and Skycity is started.
Sutton condos could easily become 20 + floors?

Last edited by BAKGUY; Jun 6, 2016 at 2:13 AM. Reason: edit required

Old Posted Jun 4, 2016, 4:34 AM
Back from the dead

Can somebody summarize exactly what's the status of all components here ? It's a little jumbled in terms of what's being built now, what's waiting for demand, which plans are finalized, is anybody in talks, etc.,.

Sorry, I thought it was more or less clear from the get go but it seems there are alternate assessments.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2016, 5:17 PM

All we know for certain is Tower 1 @ 17 floors( for now) (see OP diagrams) will be constructed first. Tower 2 @ 24 floors (for now), Will come shortly, plans/details to be released in August of this year. Crane(s) to arrive on site mid July. The rest of the details will be released throughout the summer/fall.
- as per Ludlow

The speculation, also from Ludlow, is the addition of a 5th tower somewhere on the site, or additions of more floors (height) to 1-or more of the current towers due to the increased demand in tenants wanting to locate in this development.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2016, 5:37 PM

I'd actually just prefer if they kept the plans as is and built another building on one of the surface lots nearby... say either lot at Donald and St. Mary. And you can connect via skywalk to cityplace so those tenants still feel connected to all the action.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan