HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Apr 26, 2007, 11:47 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
architects for his three towers work together on one floor, looking at a digital clock ticking off the days, minutes and seconds until the next planning deadline. More detailed drawings were completed this month; they include ideas like sleek fins on the outside of Norman Foster's tower to control the light, a black marble wall inside Fumihiko Maki's tower and a huge, airy lobby with a video installation inside Richard Rogers' tower.

Janno Lieber, who heads the trade center project for Silverstein, said his team will be ready to build by January, when the Port Authority must deliver buildable land at ground zero or pay penalties of $300,000 a day.
Next mission for all involved: get ahold of those new renderings...

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2007, 12:06 AM
FriskyDingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
If I join in, we'll have to push the damn thing to 2,000 ft, at least.
Thats what i was thinking too, however im short on steel beams and concrete, i propose we take the crown and cladding off of the outside of the NY times tower to get us started, its still "under construction", they might not even notice. As far as concrete, isnt the Drake being demolished? I hope you have a truck.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2007, 12:08 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLksuGUY View Post
As far as concrete, isnt the Drake being demolished? I hope you have a truck.
While we're at it, lets just build the Chicago Spire here, save the folks in Chicago the trouble....

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2007, 12:17 AM
FriskyDingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
While we're at it, lets just build the Chicago Spire here, save the folks in Chicago the trouble....
OHH, but I think th spire would look way better down here in ATL. You lucky Yanks only get one supertall at a time.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2007, 2:59 AM
Yippie Ka Yay!

Look at what's happening to the area to the left of the steel beams (in Black).

I also see that it looks like they are getting ready to attach the second crane (in Red).

Contestant's answer: Because they have no balls to scratch?

Old Posted Apr 27, 2007, 4:49 AM

Towers 2 3 and four start next january!!!!!!!!!!!! THATS GREAT! I can't wait

Old Posted Apr 27, 2007, 12:48 PM
New Yorker for life

http://local.lancasteronline.com/4/203443

Firm supports Freedom in N.Y.

By Tom Knapp, Staff
Intelligencer Journal
Apr 27, 2007

LANCASTER COUNTY, Pa. - A local company is working behind — or, in this case, below — the scenes to change the New York City skyline.

Greiner Industries has been hired to fabricate steel column bases for Tower 1, also known as Freedom Tower, of the new World Trade Center in Manhattan.

"This is work that nobody will see," Rick Bockey, manager of quality control for Greiner, said Thursday.

"But it all goes up from here. This supports it all."

Greiner is subcontracting for Tishman Construction Corp. of New York, which is the general contractor for the massive project, Bockey said.

"It's a high-profile job. Everybody's looking at it in regards to what it's replacing," he said.

"The work itself is nothing new to us, but where it's going has some significance."

The first World Trade Center was destroyed Sept. 11, 2001, when terrorists flew a pair of airliners into the Twin Towers, causing both to fall. The four smaller buildings in the WTC plaza sustained heavy damage and were demolished shortly thereafter.

An estimated 2,749 people died in the terrorist attack. Cleanup of the site took nearly nine months.

The original Tower 1 rose to a height of 1,727 feet, including the antenna and spire. Freedom Tower will be a little taller, peaking at 1,776 feet.

Its construction, which began in 2006, is in the northwest corner of the 16-acre site. The new World Trade Center is expected to open for business in 2012.

Bockey said Greiner Industries is fabricating six sublevel base columns for Freedom Tower. He described them as "heavy weldments" that will provide structural support for ground-level columns.

"They are the main base for the entire structure ... and the heaviest columns that you're probably ever going to see," he said.

Each beam is 30 feet long and weighs about 28 tons, Bockey said. The beams range in thickness from 3 to 5 inches, with studs and 10-inch-thick base plates welded along their full length to reinforce them.

"We're contracted to do six of these pieces at this point. We may get more at a later date," Bockey said.

"There's going to be a lot of this going on. This work is going to entail numerous fabricators. ... It's a multiyear project, obviously."

Bockey said he isn't sure how many beams of this type will be used to support Freedom Tower, but said other subcontractors in Virginia and Ohio are making similar pieces for the project.

"I don't have the erection plan for the structure," he said. "We work off fabrication drawings ... that don't show us the whole arrangement of the structure."

The beams will likely be imbedded entirely in concrete, he said.

"And then they build up from there. It's the foundation of the tower."

Fabrication of the beams began earlier this month and should be completed by late May or early June, Bockey said. Dennis Warner is the project manager for the job.

The first two pieces are already completed, Bockey said.

"There's potentially a lot more of this coming this way," he said.

"We specialize in this type of work — heavy columns for skyscrapers. It requires special certification."

Greiner, he said, is certified by the American Institute of Steel Construction for fabricating supports for steel structures and bridges.

Quality control manager Rick Bockey shows one of the finished foundation beams, which has already been loaded for delivery to the World Trade Center work site.

Greiner Industries employees Tony Miller, left, and Will Gibson weld pieces of steel together to form foundation pieces for Freedom Tower, the tallest of the new World Trade Center structures being built in New York City.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2007, 12:57 PM
Resident Jackass

So they are making more collums like the ones that are already there?

Old Posted Apr 27, 2007, 2:33 PM
BANNED

I think so. The flatbead looks like it can only carry one beam at a time.

It's nice to hear about that. Great story and pics, NYguy!! Keep it up. You're doing a good job!

Old Posted Apr 27, 2007, 2:41 PM
Frigidus Maximus

"The original Tower 1 rose to a height of 1,727 feet, including the antenna and spire. Freedom Tower will be a little taller, peaking at 1,776 feet."

Kind of a controversial statement: I'm unaware that anyone ever claimed that Tower 1 had a "spire." It was just an antenna; the FT's spire is clearly a part of the tower's structure.

I ❤️ NY

Old Posted Apr 27, 2007, 2:44 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolCzech View Post
"The original Tower 1 rose to a height of 1,727 feet, including the antenna and spire. Freedom Tower will be a little taller, peaking at 1,776 feet."

Kind of a controversial statement: I'm unaware that anyone ever claimed that Tower 1 had a "spire." It was just an antenna; the FT's spire is clearly a part of the tower's structure.
They're just quoting numbers, not any kind of official declaration. Just goes to show you how similar the towers are in height.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2007, 3:09 PM
BANNED

Yeah, but it seems like the media screwed up again as usual. Not you guys' fault.

Like CoolCzech said, there was no spire and the antenna DIDN'T count as part of the structure's height.

Also, to my recollection, Tower One was about 1,368 feet and Tower Two was slightly shorter.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2007, 7:40 PM
Rebuild the Twin Towers!

Does anyone think that it should still be taller?

Old Posted Apr 27, 2007, 8:20 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daquan13 View Post
Also, to my recollection, Tower One was about 1,368 feet and Tower Two was slightly shorter.
tower 2 was 1,362 feet tall.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2007, 7:27 PM
Rebuild the Twin Towers!

It will have 108 floors in total.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2007, 7:41 PM
World Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdonnell77 View Post
It will have 108 floors in total.
Thats including the sub levels right.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2007, 9:34 PM
Rebuild the Twin Towers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dac150 View Post
Thats including the sub levels right.
No there are 6 mechanical floors above the observation deck.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2007, 9:48 PM
BANNED

I thought that the obs deck was on top. Where will the restaurant be?

Old Posted Apr 28, 2007, 10:17 PM
Rebuild the Twin Towers!

The restauraunt will be on the 100th and 101st floor, then there is an indoor observation deck on the 102nd floor. The next 6 floors up to the roof are going to be for mechanical purposes and they still havn't decided if there will be an outdoor observation deck on the roof (but my guess is they're will be).

Old Posted Apr 28, 2007, 10:52 PM
low-riding

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdonnell77 View Post
The restauraunt will be on the 100th and 101st floor, then there is an indoor observation deck on the 102nd floor. The next 6 floors up to the roof are going to be for mechanical purposes and they still havn't decided if there will be an outdoor observation deck on the roof (but my guess is they're will be).
Where are you hearing that from, because I'm hearing no, absolutely not. no chance at all of there being an outdoor observation deck. Because that is where all the transmission equipment will be, along with the ring to hide them all. with the original twins, with two towers, tower 1 had all that necessary stuff, while tower 2 had the outdoor deck. With one tower, one thing had to go, and the outdoor deck went.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive