HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Jun 20, 2017, 10:17 PM

Salt Lake City: Official Development News Thread - Part 5

This thread is the fifth installment of the official Salt Lake City development news thread. Thank you to Delts145 and Cottonwood for helping to update this thread.

Archive of previous threads:

Thread #1

Thread #2

Thread #3

Thread #4

PROJECTS

PROPOSED

151 South State Project
- Features: 19 floors. A sloped roof that at its tallest point will reach 320', outdoor rooftop courtyard plaza.
- Description: The sloped angle of the top compliments the slices taken off the vertical corners of the building. Also, we have created a dramatic partial 19th story with walk-out
rooftop garden spaces aligned with the niches. The planning commission really liked the building and the new top, and it was approved with the peak of the roof now standing at
320 feet with a 5 feet tall parapet above that. Our thinking is to have the parapet clear glass with a night glowing ‘halo’ along the top. We are very excited about the new look
and increased height. In fact, we are considering moving our office into the new penthouse suite with the rooftop patio if we can swing it with the developer."

The Regent Street Hotel
Other: 14 levels Boutique Hotel, 6 levels condos. 190 hotel rooms and 36 Residential Units,
- with restaurant and lobby, and a pavilion for a roof deck. 20-stories total, topping out at 330 ft.

Original KSL.com source; the image above is rehosted

(Cushman & Wakefield Commerce)

The image above was cropped; here is the original size

The Paxton 365 Project
- Location: Downtown Adj, at the 300 West block of Paxton Avenue
- Project Features: Mixed-Use, Five stories, with four wood-framed floors and a ground floor concrete podium. Also, 121 residential units
on the top four floors and structured parking and ground floor commercial space at the podium level. Vaulted features throughout the top floor
will push the project well past 60 foot height allowed for the area.The project replaces a vacant lot and two one-story warehouse-style buildings on a one-acre parcel.

Rendering of the Paxton 365 looking south from Paxton Avenue. Image courtesy Salt Lake City documents.

The image above was rehosted, here is the original source.

The Marmalade Mixed-Use Project

- Project Features: 265-289 unit mixed-use project proposed for the northwest corner of the Marmalade Block. The units will be a mix of studio, one and two bedroom apartments.
The project consists of three buildings above a shared two-story podium. The two large buildings will be five stories above the podium level and will be u-shaped each with an
interior residential courtyard. The development also includes two pedestrian plazas that will connect 300 West to a rear walkway and mid-block city-owned public plaza...

Rendering of the northwest corner of the Marmalade mixed-use project. Image courtesy Salt Lake City planning documents.

The above image was rehosted; here is the original source

The above image was rehosted; here is the original source

Aerial rendering of the southeast corner of the Marmalade mixed-use project. Image courtesy Salt Lake City planning documents.

The Centro Civico Mexicano Project
Location: Downtown, at 600 West between 100 South and 200 South
Project Features: Senior Housing, containing 61 units. Also, would include a multipurpose theater, gym, open-air teaching/soccer facility, gallery, classrooms, day-care center.
Also in the plan is a row of micro-retail stores.

[The Hardison Project
- Location: Downtown Adj., The Avenues District at 500 East South Temple
- Features: five floors residential above two floors of podium parking, 138 residential units and three ground floor live/work units
The residential apartments will be a mix of 29 studios, 66 one-bedroom and 40 two-bedroom units. The three live/work units will be
large enough to accommodate commercial uses at 3,877 square feet each.

The north façade of the Hardison Apartments. Image courtesy Salt Lake City planning documents.

The northeast corner of the Hardison Apartments. Image courtesy Salt Lake City planning documents.

Euclid Corners Townhome Project
- Location: Poplar Grove District. 1000 West of 200 South block.
- Features: A mix of two and three-bedroom townhomes in four buildings. Located just over two blocks from two TRAX stations.

Rendering of the Euclid Corners Townhomes as seen from 1000 West. Image courtesy Salt Lake City planning documents.

Rendering of the Euclid Corner Townhomes as seen from 200 South. Image courtesy Salt Lake City planning documents.

Embassy Suites Hotel Project

Embassy Suites at 329 W 600 S.

The Northwest Pipeline Project
- Features and Description: Three buildings will add a combined 248 residential units. Two new construction buildings will be five and six stories respectively, ensuring that the nine-story
Northwest Pipeline, or Metropolitan building, remains the most visually prominent building. Arnold Place, a historic street that used to bisect the block, will connect residents to the parking
structure. The street is designed in a way that it can be shut down for events like street festivals and serve as temporary public space. The common areas will be privately owned but will
be open to the public and activated by ground floor commercial and public uses.

Rendering of the Northwest Pipeline Development as would be seen from 200 South. The pipeline project was launced under Department of Community and
Economic Development. Image courtesy Salt Lake City.

Elevation rendering of the Northwest Pipeline Development as would be seen from 300 East. Image courtesy Salt Lake City.

The Exchange Project
-Location: Downtown, Covers 2.3 acres on the 300 East block of 400 South.
-Two buildings with a mix of housing, retail, co-working and incubator space
-One building at nine levels, and one at 5 levels. Both above 2 levels of podium parking.
-Total of 412 residential units, ground floor retail, international food hall and marketplace.
- -adjacent to a light rail line

Conceptual rendering of the northwest corner of The Exchange. Image courtesy Salt Lake City.

Conceptual rendering of the southwest corner of The Exchange. Image courtesy Salt Lake City.

650 South Main/The Patrinely Project
-(Two 10 story office buildings. 330,000 sq.ft. of office space each building.)
- Location: Phase I at 600 South and Main Street, Phase II at 600 South and West Temple
- Phase I to be 10 floors at 320,000-square ft.
- Phase II, market conditions permitting, will be of a similar height and square footage
- Multi-level parking structures surrounded by trees will connect the two structures.
- (900 parking stalls each parking structure.

Year-Round Public Market
- Location: Downtown Warehouse District: adjacent to and between the Intermodal Hub and the historic Rio Grande Depot
- Building heights currently up to 85 feet
- Mix of food vendors providing locally grown crops
- Corner restaurant space

Conceptual rendering of a year-round public market as seen from 500 West. Image courtesy Salt Lake City public documents.

Conceptual rendering of a year-round public market as seen from 300 South. Image courtesy Salt Lake City public documents.

Ritchie Group, Block 67 Development
- -Location: The BLOCK 67 project is located on a 6.45 acre site between 200 West and 300 West,
200 South and 100 South.
- Residential Multifamily: 237,810 GSF 230 units, 10 stories
- Retail: 23,695 GSF 1 story
- Hotel: 173,620 GSF 271 Keys 11 stories
- Parking:172,481 GSF 424 Stalls, 2 levels
- Total Building Area 607,606 GSF
- Both buildings will be approximately 125' in height

-The full masterplan contemplates approximately 7 to 8 buildings of residential, hospitality, retail and parking uses to support
the residents/occupants and guests. The design team and owner see wisdom in breaking down this block into manageable and walkable “sub-blocks”. Creating pleasant city streets
(yes - complete streets defined with sidewalks, street trees, street parking, etc.) The project is broken down into 2 phases: Phase I including Blocks A & B, and Phase II including
Blocks C & D. For the purposes of this narrative, phase I will be described, which includes a residential building, a dual flag hotel and parking components. The residential component
is an eleven story residential building over subterranean structured parking. The hotel is comprised of two hotel brands that arrange around a shared elevator core. Both elements
- rise eleven stories over the same underground parking.

Renderings and Architectural Plans are produced by Architectural Nexus & GGLO design

Cornell Street. Project
- Details: Another high proportion affordable housing development coming
to the West Side at 211 N Cornell St. (near the Power Station TRAX stop).
146 total units, 131 of those affordable at 60% AMI-that is 90% of the units affordable.

Emigration Overlook Project
- Location: At the mouth of Emigration Canyon on the 800 South block of Donner Way.
- Features: The Emigration Overlook, a 12-unit luxury condominium development at the mouth of Emigration Canyon on the 800 South block of Donner Way.
Parking will be in a parking structure with 20 tenant stalls on the lower floor, and 10 stalls above the structure that will be reserved for visitors.
The units, as proposed, will include landscaped roof decks and significant glazing that will allow natural light and provide tenants spectacular views of the Salt Lake Valley...

Rendering of the Emigration Overlook. Image courtesy Salt Lake City planning documents.

Rendering of the Emigration Overlook. Image courtesy Salt Lake City planning documents.

508 South Temple Project
- Features: Conversion of a four-story 66-year-old medical building into residential units and a rebuild of the parking structure. The project will have 110 units with 160 parking
stalls in the rebuilt parking structure. The units will be a mix of studio, one, two and three bedroom apartments. The project will have two stories of subterranean parking and
residential units on the first floor that will front 500 East and separate parking from the street level. There will be five floors of residential space above the parking structure.
The developers will include building setbacks on the third floor to reduce the building’s scale from the street level.

Rendering of the southeast corner of the 508 South Temple development. Image courtesy CSRA Architects.

Rendering of the northeast corner of the 508 South Temple development. Image courtesy CSRA Architects.

Last edited by jubguy3; Sep 19, 2017 at 2:06 AM.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2017, 10:37 PM
The Drifter

1st

Someone had to do it

Old Posted Jun 20, 2017, 11:23 PM

The hell is this!!!!!! Where are all our conversations!?!?!? All our arguments!!!!!' All the pictures!!!!!!!!!!

high res image upload

Jk. I know this happens every so often

Last edited by EPdesign; Jun 20, 2017 at 11:53 PM.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2017, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPdesign View Post
The hell is this!!!!!! Where are all out conversations!?!?!? All our arguments!!!!!' All the pictures!!!!!!!!!!

high res image upload

Jk. I know this happens every so often
I, for one, welcome the fresh start.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2017, 1:22 AM

Also, yesterday ajiuO posted a pic on Vivint arena. From anything above grade, there isnt a huge difference, but the difference on street level along 300 W and S Temple is going to be pretty massive. There is going to be all new digital screens installed as well as a more public entertainment area. I think we will like the new additions.

On that note, I was happy that there were few changes made to the cohesion of the building as a whole. It remains one of the most attractive arenas in the NBA despite its age.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2017, 2:57 AM

Old Posted Jun 21, 2017, 2:57 AM

Just a quick picture of the mountains from Sugarhouse Park that I figured you guys would appreciate... the cottonwoods are hidden behind the rain.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2017, 3:26 AM
Ironweed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jubguy3 View Post
Just a quick picture of the mountains from Sugarhouse Park that I figured you guys would appreciate... the cottonwoods are hidden behind the rain.

Jubguy,

Thanks for continuing the thread. If you can, please update the projects as many have been completed, cancelled, or should be put in the BS pile. Nice picture by the way. Like I said, Utah is beautiful, but the population deserves a much larger city center. Here's to wishing. Hopefully I will have time to meet with my friend soon who works for the city to shed some light as to what is going on.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2017, 3:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironweed View Post
Jubguy,

Thanks for continuing the thread. If you can, please update the projects as many have been completed, cancelled, or should be put in the BS pile. Nice picture by the way. Like I said, Utah is beautiful, but the population deserves a much larger city center. Here's to wishing. Hopefully I will have time to meet with my friend soon who works for the city to shed some light as to what is going on.
I talked about Cottonwood with this, but I'm really busy getting ready for a trip out of the country for about 2-3 weeks that's coming up soon - I'll try my best beforehand though lol

Old Posted Jun 21, 2017, 3:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asies1981 View Post
Nice. Last couple residential projects to break ground have been 8 floors. Hopefully a trend in going taller.

www.UtahProjects.info

Old Posted Jun 21, 2017, 1:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyAnderson View Post
Nice. Last couple residential projects to break ground have been 8 floors. Hopefully a trend in going taller.
I hope so as well. I hope the momentum we have seen with regards to going from 4 to higher, continues as more individuals in a given area increase demand for the presence of other services.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2017, 6:17 PM
ML Engineer

Hey jubguy if you want to include my maps I use to keep track of projects feel free. Might also help in remembering what projects are happening.

Purple-completed in last year
Dark green-under construction
Light green-in excavation phase
Dark blue-planned
Light blue-in early planning stages
Yellow-on hold, possibly dead
Black outline-around D-1 zone
Black bold lines-New or reconfigured streets

Downtown:

Sugar House/S-Line:

North Temple:

Central Ninth:

There's also the Marmalade development that's not shown. I'm probably missing a few more and some of them may be misclassified.

Last edited by airhero; Jun 21, 2017 at 6:27 PM.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2017, 6:29 PM
ML Engineer

Also, in case anyone is interested in seeing the downtown map with empty lots/surface parking:

Old Posted Jun 22, 2017, 4:29 AM
Ironweed

The parking debacle is an exclamation point. I wonder how long it will take for those lots to disappear? If ever?

I'm afraid the folks in this state love their cars more than common sense. This is ironic considering they say they hate pollution.

Has anyone heard what Udot wants to do with route 89
through Davis county? A likely conversion to a major multi lane freeway. Oh, and also a bizarre possibility of a double decker I-15...

Old Posted Jun 22, 2017, 9:43 AM

currently being updated

Proposed

Trolley Square Apartments Project
- Location: - Downtown Adj. - Trolley Square District at 600 South and 700 East
- Features : Under the current proposal, the developers plan to build six buildings and possibly relocate one or two of the site’s three historic homes to the south end of the site.
Three of the buildings would front 600 South, with two buildings fronting a midblock street and one building fronting 700 East.
According to planning documents the buildings are designed to complement Trolley Square. The two most prominent buildings are designed after the work of Richard K.A. Kletting,
the architect that designed the Utah State Capitol, the Old Saltaire Resort Pavilion and the Utah Exposition Building that once stood where Trolley Square is now

A rough preliminary rendering of the massing and arrangement of the Trolley Square mixed-use development as seen looking south on 600 South.
Image courtesy Salt Lake City planning documents.

A rough preliminary aerial rendering of the massing and arrangement of the Trolley Square mixed-use development looking east towards
downtown from 700 East. Image courtesy Salt Lake City planning documents.

Dixon Building Project
- Features: Six stories with nearly 180,000 square feet of office space with three levels of subterranean parking with 445 parking stalls. The project will add 3,500 square feet of public space, including two plazas on the north and south sides of the building. The building’s northern portion built up to the sidewalk level with storefront entrances on Highland across from the Vue. The southeast corner of the building will be set back to accommodate a small plaza. The building also includes a 15-foot setback at floors three to six, to break up the building’s scale.

Rendering of the southeast corner of the Dixon Building. Image courtesy Salt Lake City.

Rendering of the Dixon Building with the Sugarmont Apartments to the south. Image courtesy Salt Lake City.

370 Millennium Tower Project
Features: The 27-29 story 370 Millennium Tower will include a mix of commercial office space, retail space, a hotel and residential condominiums...

Conceptual rendering of the first few floors of the proposed 370 Millennium Tower. The developers are still working on the building's final design. Image courtesy Held Properties.

Conceptual rendering of the proposed 370 Millennium Tower. The developers are still working on the building’s final design. Image courtesy Held Properties.

Last edited by delts145; Oct 17, 2017 at 8:47 PM.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2017, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
I'm sure the financial commitment would be major, but I wish the LDS Church would start making some moves on those So. Temple lots. Those are probably my least favorite at this time. I mean, both BYU and UVU are bursting at the seams, and can't even begin to take in all the students that want to get in or expand fast enough in the case of UVU. Also, it seems like the LDS Churches office operations are scattered all over the CBD and Valley. Am I wrong in thinking that those giant parking lots are ripe to begin handling their student, business overflow. Use to be that the Church Campus was surrounded by lots on three sides. Then gradually, the east and north sides were developed into some impressive parks and buildings. I guess there's still a little room around the area directly east of the new records library. Even if the South Temple lots were developed in phases, let's get started.
I agree. The church ought to formulate plans for that block and the more recently acquired block on 400 S and develop them.

As far as church offices, I think they only have the ones downtown and their I.T. offices in Riverton in the former Intel building.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2017, 12:03 PM

Loews

Sounds like we need someone like this to come in here and get our convention hotel off the ground. Although it sounds like theirs has also taken significant time. http://www.kansascity.com/news/polit...157330409.html

Old Posted Jun 22, 2017, 3:29 PM
SLC Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
I'm sure the financial commitment would be major, but I wish the LDS Church would start making some moves on those So. Temple lots. Those are probably my least favorite at this time. I mean, both BYU and UVU are bursting at the seams, and can't even begin to take in all the students that want to get in or expand fast enough in the case of UVU. Also, it seems like the LDS Churches office operations are scattered all over the CBD and Valley. Am I wrong in thinking that those giant parking lots are ripe to begin handling their student, business overflow. Use to be that the Church Campus was surrounded by lots on three sides. Then gradually, the east and north sides were developed into some impressive parks and buildings. I guess there's still a little room around the area directly east of the new records library. Even if the South Temple lots were developed in phases, let's get started.
Delts, the Church owns the huge SE corner lot of 300 W North Temple and all of the assemblage surrounding and including the Plaza Hotel. I'm pretty sure those lots might be preserved for the western view of the Temple by the Church. I haven't checked code but I'm pretty sure the Temple, like the Cathedral of the Madeleine on S Temple, has an identified view corridor looking W-NW effectively limiting height. That being said, that corridor should be a high priority to be made beautiful by the church as the Temple view from street level is the Plaza (ack) and parking lots. I think its best use is as public space or some epic park concept.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2017, 6:59 PM

The main and 400 South parking block bugs me more as it marks the abrupt end of downtown. I would love nothing more than to see a 600-foot plus building on the northeast corner of that block but at this point I would settle for a few empty shipping containers fronting main.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2017, 7:24 PM

Inland port by the new prison. From 600 west to 400 west and from 600 south to 800 south becomes the new zoo. The Hogle zoo becomes east bench housing.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West