HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Sep 7, 2017, 5:59 PM
NOLA Razorback

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
Given their recent purchase of Whole Foods Im sure it well end up in Austin
I remember it as Robideaux's! lol

And that would make since for Austin, but I think GNO could put together a good proposal, doesn't hurt to try.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2017, 7:22 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjslonaker View Post
I remember it as Robideaux's! lol

And that would make since for Austin, but I think GNO could put together a good proposal, doesn't hurt to try.
definitely agree.

was robideauxs a chain? literally never heard of it

Old Posted Sep 7, 2017, 8:00 PM
NOLA Razorback

Quote:
definitely agree.

No it was from the show Treme. It was Winn Dixie, I've just gotten so used to seeing the sign on there now.

And speaking of Film Industry we currently have 3 Tv series filming and 6 more movies starting production this or next month. Happy to see the industry really picking back up

Old Posted Sep 7, 2017, 8:05 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjslonaker View Post
No it was from the show Treme. It was Winn Dixie, I've just gotten so used to seeing the sign on there now.

And speaking of Film Industry we currently have 3 Tv series filming and 6 more movies starting production this or next month. Happy to see the industry really picking back up
Hahah thats hilarious .. never knew it was called that so thanks !

Old Posted Sep 7, 2017, 9:04 PM

It is surprising that that location hasn't been redeveloped yet. Anyone know who owns it? With all the other construction near there on Basin, could make a mini-South Market type of development.

I had wondered if the area would submit a proposal for Amazon. There are a lot of sites that meet the requirements. Charity comes to mind immediately for a near-ready to develop site for the first phase of 1 million sf with excellent transit options nearby and plenty of hotel and residential space under construction. There are enough vacant lots around there that they could easily expand to 8million sf with high-rises. Might have to demolish tennis' house though!

There is also a ton of space along Poydras and near the old LSU medical center. If they want something less dense, there is a ton of land near I-10 between the Lowe's and Hospital in New Orleans East or even the Six Flags site.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2017, 10:35 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by prokowave View Post
It is surprising that that location hasn't been redeveloped yet. Anyone know who owns it? With all the other construction near there on Basin, could make a mini-South Market type of development.

I
Hano owns some of it, the city owns some of it and Lafitte Street Development owns the rest they havent sold to HANO. They sold to Hano some of the parking lot and the actual old winn dixie itself. the parcels closer to basin still owned by that company. Of course Joe Jaeger is a part of that company too. I think he might own half the city by now lol

Old Posted Sep 7, 2017, 10:46 PM

Quote:
this areas cbd designation recently changed to a designation that allows for a lot more uses. so possible this owner was the catalyst for that change
You are correct, they were.

Separately, what do you think the likeliness that 6100 Canal Blvd get's rezoned? I've seen people on FB pro-business and a few who were anti.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2017, 5:31 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by thalia View Post
You are correct, they were.

Separately, what do you think the likeliness that 6100 Canal Blvd get's rezoned? I've seen people on FB pro-business and a few who were anti.
Thats a tough one .. id approve it but i could see arguments for and against in that case...

My personal approach to zoning is very practical:
Do people
Have a reasonable expectation of a project like yours being proposed and built ? If so then im for it !

So if your in a neighborhood where there is a cu for restaurants and bars .. well expect that to happen !

But also no one should be in an area with a 75 foot heightt limit and someone gets to build a 300 foot building .. thats just unfair

Old Posted Sep 8, 2017, 1:32 PM

Quote:
definitely agree.

I disagree. Amazon seems poised to pull all of Whole Foods operations from Austin and move them to Seattle. I think they may look elsewhere besides Austin. Just an opinion.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2017, 1:40 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolafan View Post
I disagree. Amazon seems poised to pull all of Whole Foods operations from Austin and move them to Seattle. I think they may look elsewhere besides Austin. Just an opinion.
I guess so just makes sense since they have the infrastructure there already and they own it

Old Posted Sep 8, 2017, 4:41 PM
-

618 N Rampart St·Demolition ·Ref Code: YD1Q12
Download (5) Print Summary Submit Add to Watch List
Type:
Demolition
Applicant:
Javier Barrera
Application Review
Date Filed:
9/8/2017
Closed:
No
Description
Demolition of Existing Building. Columns and second floor structure to remain per VCC. Renovation plans submitted under 17-22675-RNVS.

210 State St·Design Review · Project #DR123-17 ·Ref Code: K1WH2W
Download (2) Print Summary Submit Add to Watch List
Type:
Design Review
Applicant:
Children’s Hospital
Completeness Review
Date Filed:
9/6/2017
Closed:
No
Description
Additional third bay to be added tothe orginally submitted two bay parking deck for the first phase of the multi-phase expansion and renovation for the Children’s Hospital of New Orleans.

624 Chartres St·Renovation (Non-Structural) ·Ref Code: ZGRSYQ
Print Summary Submit Add to Watch List
Type:
Renovation (Non-Structural)
Applicant:
Justin Asper
Application Submitted
Date Filed:
9/7/2017
Closed:
No
Description
Repair and refinish exterior trim, balconies/galleries, and gutter/downspout. Courtyard renovation work. Replace removed second floor awning over one door way. Replace impermissible signage on sidewalk.

Stepehens Garage About to start

848 Carondelet St·Street Cut ·Ref Code: BQHLUV
Type:
Street Cut
Applicant:
Entergy New Orleans
Application Submitted
Date Filed:
9/7/2017
Closed:
No
Description
Installation of new electric conduit bank from existing sidewalk manhole to existing electrical vault to facilitate new service at 848 Carondelet St.

2701 St Roch Ave·New Construction ·Ref Code: L74QHR
Type:
New Construction
Applicant:
LAMAR ADVERTISING OF NEW ORLEANS
Application Submitted
Date Filed:
9/7/2017
Closed:
No
Description
Construct an advertising billboard as per plans

The Odeon Permits Filed

Think this will be tallest building built in the city since at least the Benson Tower in the late 80s (CNG Tower then).its possible this may be taller than that one too. It should be taller than Harrahs Hotel tower

1100 Girod St·New Construction ·Ref Code: NMCYW5
Type:
New Construction
Applicant:
Maricela Gomez
Application Submitted
Date Filed:
9/8/2017
Closed:
No
Description
new construction for a 29 story high rise

Applicant:
Maricela Gomez
Contractors:
Division:
SP
Subdivision:
Central Business District
Council District:
B
Area:
Next Status:
Application Review
Next Status Date:
9/11/2017 9:39:24 AM
Next Inspection:
Inspection Date:
Next Inspector:
Total Fees:
Unpaid Fees:
Final

Old Posted Sep 8, 2017, 4:59 PM
-

Some airport pics from a couple days ago:

Old Posted Sep 8, 2017, 5:17 PM

Nice to see infill on Rampart and the Garage project moving forward. The Odeon is one of the most attractive projects I've seen here in recent memory and I can't wait to see what's planned for the rest of the block.

One thing raised an eyebrow - I thought there was a moratorium on new billboards in the city? Or is it replacing an existing one?
Quote:
2701 St Roch Ave·New Construction ·Ref Code: L74QHR
Type:
New Construction
Applicant:
LAMAR ADVERTISING OF NEW ORLEANS
Application Submitted
Date Filed:
9/7/2017
Closed:
No
Description
Construct an advertising billboard as per plans
Just a few musings on the Amazon HQ proposal - it looks like the state may put in an application and however unlikely it may be, it's fun to imagine the possibilities.

Since the convention center hasn't made progress on its expansion, that's a large site ready for development. Doesn't necessarily meet the acreage requirements, but if you combine it with the power plant and buy up some of those warehouses, you could put a 100 acre parcel together. They could still work in a major hotel and some residential, maybe some outdoor performance/park space, so the CC would be happy and they'd no doubt benefit from Amazon being next door.

Another possibility is the Federal City site. I remember reading about plans for a major development there, but it seems to have fizzled. Either of those sites would be attractive for a major development, especially if combined with new streetcar/ferry service.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2017, 5:58 PM

the Odeon looks nice! Any information given about it's height? I'm guessing around 350'. The rendering makes it look tall!

Old Posted Sep 8, 2017, 7:24 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by prokowave View Post

One thing raised an eyebrow - I thought there was a moratorium on new billboards in the city? Or is it replacing an existing one?

existing ones.. basically they are upgrading most of existing one to digital.

working with a company on doing a mural advertisement on the parking lot side of my house too

Old Posted Sep 8, 2017, 7:26 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by rschin2 View Post
the Odeon looks nice! Any information given about it's height? I'm guessing around 350'. The rendering makes it look tall!
no clue but once plans are posted we will know.. its possible it could be above 375 with some of the lower floors high floor plate heights and mezzanine parking thats not counted as separate floors.. then you have rooftop mechanical too

Old Posted Sep 8, 2017, 8:42 PM
-

Retail Space In $50 Million Warehouse District Project Hits the Market

http://canalstreetbeat.com/retail-sp...ts-the-market/

The Westin Hotel Sells To Local Firm Berger Co.

http://canalstreetbeat.com/the-westi...irm-berger-co/

This is exciting to see since they plan a major upgrade of the hotel. Its got great potential so hopefully the take advantage of the lobby space and the rooftop and really go for it!

Old Posted Sep 9, 2017, 7:18 AM

Looking foward to seeing the Odeon start construction. Agreed on the old Winn Dixie. That is prime land that could be developed into a nice mix of residential and retail options.

Amazon...I'm sure every city will be going after them with all guns blazing. It will come down to who offers the most money, and is someplace appealing to the workforce Amazon wants to attract. We'll see who wins out.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2017, 1:06 PM

I've always felt that the Westin did not represent the Westin brand very well. It always seemed sub-par at best. It needs a major renovation.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2017, 1:55 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolafan View Post
I've always felt that the Westin did not represent the Westin brand very well. It always seemed sub-par at best. It needs a major renovation.
No kidding... thats being kind . Its bad and needs a renovation for sure. In fact because of the condition of the one here I have a negative view of the brand. I stayed at the Nashville Westin for the eclipse a few weeks ago and was shocked that those two hotels can even be considered the same brand.

My phone was low on battery but walking around on saturday: lots of projects going on and lots of pile drivers getting ready to start other projects

Last edited by tennis1400; Sep 11, 2017 at 5:58 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations