HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted May 17, 2018, 2:45 PM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berklon View Post
It's expected that the actual building differs from renders, but I hate that the renders aren't updated on the website and MLS to include those changes. That reeks of false advertising.
I agree with that - I would like an updated overall look just so I can adjust in my head what the overall will look like.. as it stands I just feel disappointed every time something is removed or changed without knowing what the overall result looks like...

Old Posted Jun 11, 2018, 8:33 PM

6/8/18 by Joe, on Flickr

Old Posted Jul 4, 2018, 2:10 AM

Old Posted Jul 4, 2018, 12:53 PM

wait? REAL brick???

Old Posted Jul 4, 2018, 3:40 PM
Bruatalism gets no respec

^ right? As much as I like steel and glass this will blend in better.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2018, 5:08 PM

Real bricks are a nice touch, much nicer than the brick panels at the RC.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2018, 1:38 PM

7/20/2018 by Joe, on Flickr

Old Posted Jul 25, 2018, 1:47 PM

I really enjoy the massing but I am worried the cladding on the upper portions isn't going to be great. The windows look nice though!

Old Posted Aug 11, 2018, 3:56 AM

Like the stone work - from ArtCrawl tonight

Old Posted Aug 11, 2018, 1:52 PM

Real stone and brick, excited to see it completed in person.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2018, 6:49 PM

Looks very similar to the kind of stone used on Templar Flats! Looks good so far!

Old Posted Aug 14, 2018, 5:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King&James View Post

Like the stone work - from ArtCrawl tonight
Interesting that they used inward opening hopper style windows, probably the least common window style these days (at least other than jalousie styles used only in warmer climes these days).

I can't remember the last time I've seen those in a new build. They are so seldom specified. I wonder if it's because awning style would have required an encroachment agreement, for extending over the sidewalk when open, or possible concern over water and icicles.

Functionally, these will provide even less air flow than 'landlord special' lower-third horizontal sliding windows, so there must be a pretty good HVAC system planned.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2018, 6:23 PM

Quote:
Functionally, these will provide even less air flow than 'landlord special' lower-third horizontal sliding windows, so there must be a pretty good HVAC system planned.
I wonder if this is why they included so many operable windows. I was down there today and noticed that almost every window has a lower portion which can be opened. Most new builds seem to provide one operable window per grouping of windows.

It's also worth mentioning they are black framed windows which is nice! They've just got a protective blue and white film on them right now so it is hard to see.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2018, 7:00 PM

Another reason for the hopper windows might be to enforce safety without the need for protective screens. This would mean they'll only open 4", if that's the case, so you would need all of them to open to get any real air flow.

Operable windows on each unit will hopefully allow for some cross flow between windows.

Personally I would have had the top of the units open as well, to allow in/out air flow at each individual unit, and to allow venting of hotter ceiling air while taking in cooler outside air though the bottom hopper. Would have changed the look, though.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2018, 4:23 PM

Old Posted Aug 22, 2018, 3:47 PM

Alright, these trends of doing vintage building renditions needs to keep happening!

Old Posted Aug 22, 2018, 3:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis137 View Post
Alright, these trends of doing vintage building renditions needs to keep happening!
Doesn't the city not want them? I thought they had a bylaw against copying vintage architecture.

Follow me on Twitter: https://x.com/ham_bicycleguy?t=T_fx3...SIZNGfD4A&s=09

Old Posted Aug 22, 2018, 4:49 PM

Not exactly ^

They would rather an old building gets restored in place or is added on to instead of being demolished and reconstructed or recreated. The city can't legislate architectural design quite to the point where someone couldn't build a new-traditional building if they wanted to. We just don't see many great examples of developers doing it since it's not very popular here. They have a rule for the first 3-6 stories along historic streets where the facade needs to be a certain percentage of solid material with punched windows to evoke the older street wall, but that can be interpreted in both modern and traditional ways.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2018, 5:02 AM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidcappi View Post
Not exactly ^

They would rather an old building gets restored in place or is added on to instead of being demolished and reconstructed or recreated. The city can't legislate architectural design quite to the point where someone couldn't build a new-traditional building if they wanted to. We just don't see many great examples of developers doing it since it's not very popular here. They have a rule for the first 3-6 stories along historic streets where the facade needs to be a certain percentage of solid material with punched windows to evoke the older street wall, but that can be interpreted in both modern and traditional ways.
They have stated however that going forward they want buildings that reflect a modern take - I do believe one of the city planners said that in a video - so while no they aren't going to turn down a restoration that is traditional or a modern building with traditional accents, they will probably not be allowing any new stone and brick rowhouses that reflect the old design being built.

That and a lot of those no longer match code with elements of the original being grandfathered in.

One thing I hate about these new builds are the ventilation being stuck in ugly places on the front of the building. Would it kill them to incorporate these into design elements of the facade, or to put them on the sides? The original renders never show them, and thus they just look shoddy afterwards.

They often look like an afterthought - where the architect designs the building all nice and pretty and then the architectural technologist ruins reality by punching in all the ventilation where it needs to go, and it doesn't fit into the pretty render nicely because it is reflective on the internal structure and where it fits that properly instead of the outward appearance. I just think both these steps should be done together.

Take for example the small vents on the left side of the building - they appear to be situated over the right side of the narrow windows - instead of situated at opposite sides of the overall window structure - where symmetry would look more pleasing to the eye than one being at the edge of the column and the other one further in.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2018, 12:03 AM

Stucco going up on the north side. This is just the base coat and not the final finish.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton