HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Jul 15, 2008, 9:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasBoi View Post
I believe that most of the Houston residents still refer to it as Houston Intercontinental Airport. The residents of the city did not vote on the name change.
Most of the news organizations refer to it as "the big airport" I can't decide which is worse... that or saying "Bush airport".

Old Posted Jul 15, 2008, 9:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jowens View Post
Stayed at the Wyndam Greenspoint many times because of its proximity to the Airport.

The Greenspoint Mall across the street looks scaarry!
Not really. Greenspoint Mall doesn't look scary.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2008, 10:31 PM
Houston:Considered Good

The way I see it, it still is "Gunspoint".

In fact, there was a shooting inside the Greenspoint mall in 2007.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2008, 11:28 PM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by sogod View Post
Most of the Houston photo threads are pictures of inner-city power-lines and potholes, and they tend to have that odd orange tint. Not the good CSI Miami orange tent either, but something rather unhealthy looking.
It's called photographic creativity. Seriously, the air in Houston is not orange. And I rather like that style of photography. Most of the photos you're talking about were taken at or near sunset, so yeah, orange. I've done the same with some of my photos in Austin, and the air here is also most certainly not orange.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Jul 16, 2008, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double L View Post
The way I see it, it still is "Gunspoint".

In fact, there was a shooting inside the Greenspoint mall in 2007.
Yeah, because a guy killed (or shot, don't remember) his girlfriend. Wasn't random (but still stupid).

Old Posted Jul 16, 2008, 12:25 AM

Amen Kevin,

the grity Houston threads kick ass.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2008, 4:34 AM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanactivistTX View Post
Most of the news organizations refer to it as "the big airport" I can't decide which is worse... that or saying "Bush airport".
outlaw dave (local DJ on KLOL) used to call it the "big bush" as opposed to the smaller hobby.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2008, 1:34 AM
"the irish-mexican"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae View Post
Yeah, because a guy killed (or shot, don't remember) his girlfriend. Wasn't random (but still stupid).

She must've spent all his money.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2008, 2:12 AM
Editor

Interesting photos. I was through that area a couple of years ago.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2008, 2:19 AM
on the south side

Quote:
Originally Posted by daithi View Post
She must've spent all his money.
and he was upset that she wasted the money at that nasty mall.

http://www.deadmalls.com/malls/greenspoint_mall.html

Old Posted Jul 17, 2008, 2:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
It's called photographic creativity...
Creativity is making something original or, in the case of photography, capturing something original.

I don't have any problem with the gritty side of Houston, or pictures of it, I just want to see more threads like this that give me an idea of what life is like in other parts of the city.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2008, 6:43 PM
H-town Baller

Greenspoint isn't a great area but its reputation is often exaggerated. There are some low to middle income apartment complexes mixed in with some decent ones. Crime wise, the ones west of I-45 and centered on Northborough from Greens to Rankin appear to have the most trouble, although there are some along Imperial Valley that are shakey, too.

Visually, it looks like typical suburbia except with a more modest per capita income and higher-than-average crime rates. Given this site, obviously everyone will say it sucks both asthetically and intuitively, which is fine, but it's not rundown or suffocating in decayed buildings. But for a suburban community in a city with a lot of propserous ones, it certainly isn't impressive in any way, shape or form.

The one good thing you can say, though, is that its crime rate has gone down significantly from the early 90s (although, granted, the early 90s were especially bad for this particular area).

Old Posted Jul 17, 2008, 7:18 PM
Of Heart's Delight

I need to take a shower now...

Old Posted Jul 17, 2008, 8:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great_Hizzy View Post
Greenspoint isn't a great area but its reputation is often exaggerated. There are some low to middle income apartment complexes mixed in with some decent ones. Crime wise, the ones west of I-45 and centered on Northborough from Greens to Rankin appear to have the most trouble, although there are some along Imperial Valley that are shakey, too.

Visually, it looks like typical suburbia except with a more modest per capita income and higher-than-average crime rates. Given this site, obviously everyone will say it sucks both asthetically and intuitively, which is fine, but it's not rundown or suffocating in decayed buildings. But for a suburban community in a city with a lot of propserous ones, it certainly isn't impressive in any way, shape or form.

The one good thing you can say, though, is that its crime rate has gone down significantly from the early 90s (although, granted, the early 90s were especially bad for this particular area).
Very well stated, and true in every sense. There are some "rough" areas in other cities where Greenspoint is paradise in comparison. For a area known for crime, the landscaped streets and relatively modern apartments would make one think otherwise.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2008, 4:15 AM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by sogod View Post
Creativity is making something original or, in the case of photography, capturing something original.

I don't have any problem with the gritty side of Houston, or pictures of it, I just want to see more threads like this that give me an idea of what life is like in other parts of the city.
Agreed. Houston is such an animal. It's cool seeing all the nice clean and comfy urban neighborhoods, but Houston does have some really gritty industrial areas of course. I'd even like to see more of the east side where more of the refineries are. There's really nothing else in Texas like Houston. It has a little bit of everything.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Jul 19, 2008, 2:42 AM
Closed account

I remember the Greenspoint area when it was just getting started, right after the airport opened. It was mostly pine forests and fields, and a nice countryside to drive through. When all the development first went it, I thought it looked really nice. I agree it's not as nice as many areas in the Houston metro, but it's not bad. I don't know why so much time has been devoted to picking on that area.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2008, 2:49 AM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Agreed. Houston is such an animal. It's cool seeing all the nice clean and comfy urban neighborhoods, but Houston does have some really gritty industrial areas of course. I'd even like to see more of the east side where more of the refineries are. There's really nothing else in Texas like Houston. It has a little bit of everything.

refineries are pretty much a no-no for photography becuase of that whole cameras + infrastructure = terrorism thing. and some of the gritty areas are a bit too rough to go wandering around with an expensive camera...especially if you look out of place; john mayor latte types driving around the hood.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2008, 3:50 AM

George Bush Intercontinental Airport

How cute!

Old Posted Nov 28, 2010, 12:55 AM

i used to lived there i had no problems

Old Posted Nov 28, 2010, 8:26 AM
Unicorn Wizard!

It would be interesting if it could come back as a reasonable example of what it was meant to be at least. The fact that the office district is still nice (because it has a unique locational advantage) is a plus. I can say I have been there at least, when I was a little kid my family shopped at that mall often before The Woodlands mall opened(Willowbrook mall was always closer but harder to get to being on 1960 and 249). I know someone who now lives down in those apartments, in some of the nicer ones. Also my Grandfather's business partner has a surveying company in an office suite there.

Then again, realistically, trying to "clean up" bad apartment complexes, public housing, etc, just serves to displace the problem elsewhere as it does to try and fix it. And that's assuming things are really as bad as they seem. Not all the apartments back there seem horrible. Common sense says that entire section of north central Houston is not the most wonderful part of the city, and any major center that draws from it will get stigmatised.

Last edited by llamaorama; Nov 28, 2010 at 9:14 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos