HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Dec 12, 2011, 4:21 PM

They didn't note that the City notified the owner of the violation before all the windows were replaced or any units had been sold.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2011, 11:44 PM

Painting vinyl windows? Brilliant...

Old Posted Dec 13, 2011, 2:22 AM

Also a good one: “If they’d have known they had to do wood windows in the first place, they wouldn’t have done the project at all,” Fry said.

It's like, "If only I didn't have to follow (insert any zoning code here) my project would have penciled out".

Old Posted Dec 15, 2011, 3:51 AM

Does anyone know anything about the infill project at NW 16th and Davis? Rode by today and noticed construction well under way on that corner -- PDXMaps shows that it is a 3-story residential project but I can't find anything on the BDS page.

???

Old Posted Dec 15, 2011, 4:23 AM

I wish there was an upgrade to the SSP pages. It would be awesome to see an interactive map where we could paste these projects, information, and renderings. It's getting impossible to track all this infill, and yet many projects are too small, without enough updates, to create their own threads.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2011, 7:36 AM

The project at 16th and Davis is a 20 unit apartment building called appropriately enough D16. It is designed by Brett Schulz. There was an article about in on one of the DJC blogs: [URL="http://djcoregon.com/dailyblog/2011/12/12/20-unit-condo-project-going-up-in-northwest-portland/"]

Old Posted Dec 15, 2011, 8:00 AM

^^^ Thank you!

Old Posted Dec 16, 2011, 2:22 PM

So, I think I am finally turning NIMBY. I never thought I would see the day. We are finally getting some retail in St Johns. Which is great! But it all seems to have surface parking. Grocery Outlet came in early this year, now Dollar Tree and Ace Hardware are coming in. The one I have the real problem with though is the newest concept to put a 7-11 on the curve that Lombard makes into downtown St Johns, where the old Chevy dealer had it's used car lot. It looked like such an opportunity spot. What a waste, if the 7-11 goes through!

Old Posted Dec 17, 2011, 5:05 AM

Some more info about Savier Flats, the new building that just broke ground next to McMenamin's on 23rd and Savier.

http://mcrtrust.com/savier-street-flats/

Old Posted Dec 18, 2011, 9:48 AM

^^^ Oh, I agree. And there's a giant vacant lot right across the street!

Old Posted Dec 24, 2011, 1:41 AM

Weren't some of you concerned about the future of Besaws?

The buzz about Besaw’s
Joe Streckert, DJC blog
December 22nd, 2011

Fans of Besaw’s can relax. The venerable restaurant is staying put.

Some time ago the property was acquired by the Vancouver-based C.E. John Properties, and there was some uncertainty as to what exactly was going on with the place. Was it going to be moved? Redeveloped? Closed?

When I contacted Besaw’s, the host who spoke to me on the phone only said, “As far as I know, we’re here for another four years.”

Yesterday, though, I heard from Tom DiChiara, the vice president of development at C.E. John. He went into a bit more detail.

“We have no immediate plans to make any changes,” DiChiara wrote in an email. “In the future, if we decide to redevelop portions of the site, the historic Besaw’s restaurant will remain at its corner location as it has for many decades. It will be an anchor to any redevelopment that may occur around it. We value its historical contribution to the north end, and it was a significant reason we acquired the overall property. Besaw’s will remain an operating restaurant for decades to come.”

This is great news for any kind of local history buff or preservation enthusiast. Besaw’s, after all, had the first ever post-prohibition liquor license in Oregon, and with an open date of 1903, it’s one of the oldest operating dining establishments in the city. Only Huber’s, Jakes, and Kelly’s Olympian (yes, the biker bar — it’s from 1902, believe it or not) are older.

The decision to keep Besaw’s a part of Northwest Portland shouldn’t come as a surprise to anyone who knows the area. In an interview with the DJC back in August, DiChiara called Northwest Portland a “great” place to live.

“It’s where I lived for a while when I first moved to town,” DiChara said. “I think the active streets and the walkable neighborhood and the streetcar – all of those factor into it.”

He went on to add: “I think we’re always focused on the close-in neighborhoods where ‘there’ is already there. You know, where the retail is always thriving and people want to live (and) where we can infill and build housing where it’s desired.”

The historic Besaw’s is definitely a “there,” and most certainly contributes to the neighborhood life of the district. Any further development on Northwest Savier will go hand-in-hand with the old restaurant, not roughshod over it.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2011, 2:56 AM

Excellent!

Old Posted Dec 24, 2011, 6:58 AM
9-7-2oh1-!

That's great news. I wonder what the status of the New Old Lompoc is? I had an excellent holiday beer there today. I won't be sad to see the futon shop go. I have yet to ever see anyone shopping there. EVER. But I love the New Old Lompoc.

If the New Old Lompoc has to move, I wonder if we'll be lucky enough to get a New New Old Lompoc nearby. Or, even better, move it back downtown!!!

Old Posted Jan 13, 2012, 8:05 PM

My immature side finds this incredibly funny.

Mr. Koch and Mr. Nutt are proposing a new development!

http://www.portlandonline.com/bds/in...42259&a=379782

Old Posted Jan 14, 2012, 6:21 AM

LOL...

Old Posted Jan 15, 2012, 8:28 PM
Unicorn Wizard!

They should partner with Peña & Colada enterprises

Old Posted Jan 24, 2012, 7:15 PM

23rd and Savier has broken ground. Nice mud pit.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2012, 1:38 AM

You all see this on Bikeportland?

Breaking ground on Friday.

Also, the infill development (design looks decent to nice) at Alberta and 20th has broken ground.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2012, 6:15 AM
Submarine de Nucléar

SE 20th and Belmont - existing buildings have been demolished.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2012, 12:36 AM

It seems infill has/is occurring at a pretty even rate across the city within 4-5 miles from the center (Pioneer Square). With that said there seems to be one gap within this boundary and that is the area around Woodstock, Reed, Creston-Kenilworth. None of these areas have the stigma associated with Felony Flats, 82nd, Outer Eastside and again fall easily within 4-5 miles from the center of the city. Wonder what factors come into play here? These areas, like much of Portland, had streetcars running through them as well (i.e. Gladstone, Woodstock). The built environment currently resembles a few areas around town "pre-infill" as well.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland