HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Dec 12, 2006, 4:27 PM
Austinite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asobi Seksu View Post
How can you look at pictures like this and say SA lacks greenery?

fyi, that's a school being built.

BTW, those were taken within the last month.

I agree... San Antonio is a very green city... even 'lush" greenery in areas, along the rivers (particularly downtown, along the riverwalk).

Old Posted Dec 12, 2006, 4:53 PM
Meh

San Antonio has one of the best downtowns in Texas when it comes to trees. Cypress, oak, syscamore, elm, pecan, pine, even palm trees. Most other cities in Texas have trees downtown too of course, but they're usually confined to either parks or "spruced up" major streets or heavily pedestrian friendly areas. In San Antonio, though, they're everywhere. I swear, next time I'm there I am going to take a TON of pictures in downtown. I'm usually there for atleast 3 days in July every year. I can't wait.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2006, 5:03 PM
urbanYVR.com

nauseating!

Old Posted Dec 12, 2006, 7:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by potts View Post
After growing up in the midwest, I can see how someone would say that our city lacks greenery. It is in the arid southwest, after all. Not exactly a region that is renowned for its lush green landscapes.
Ive been through the midwest and some of it is brown.Nowhere near more green than San ANtonio.
2020 S. A. Pop 1.59 million/ Metro 2.64 million/ASA corridor 5 million Census undercount city proper. San Antonio economy and largest economic sectors. Annual contribution towards GDP. U.S. DOD$48.5billion/Manufacturing $40.5 billion/Healthcare-Biosciences $40 billion/Finance-Insurance $20 billion/Tourism $15 billion/ Technology $10 billion. S.A./ Austin: Tech $25 billion/Manufacturing $11 billion/ Tourism $9 billion.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2006, 9:23 PM
Houston:Considered Good

Are we really going to argue the fact of San Antonio's geographic location and the fact that it is less green than most of the country including east Texas?

Old Posted Dec 12, 2006, 10:42 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double L View Post
Are we really going to argue the fact of San Antonio's geographic location and the fact that it is less green than most of the country including east Texas?
I should say so because when people are throwing out comments like: "San Antonio lacks greenery." It's false the 10th degree and why can't we argue a counterpoint? I believe this is a forum, however, if you don't like the discussion please see yourself out of the thread, it's that simple.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2006, 10:50 PM
passion for patterns

Well, it's all very subjective. But San Antonio, outside of the oldest neighborhoods and the Hill Country, has a fairly barren look to it in my opinion.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2006, 10:51 PM
BANNED

Have you ever lived in SA or ever visited more than two to three days? And if so, when was this?

Old Posted Dec 12, 2006, 10:59 PM
passion for patterns

Quote:
Have you ever lived in SA or ever visited more than two to three days? And if so, when was this?
Lived in Austin for more than half my life, and I have family in Olmos Park (one of the places that actually has trees in abundance.) I've visited SA plenty of times, and know enough to tell you how to get from Presa Road to De Zavala Road or Babcock or Basse or San Pedro. I can tell you that those big boots outside North Star Mall are tacky, and that I miss Earl Abel's.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2006, 11:11 PM
E pluribus unum

Welcome back, Saytown

Old Posted Dec 12, 2006, 11:12 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbeiter View Post
Lived in Austin for more than half my life, and I have family in Olmos Park (one of the places that actually has trees in abundance.) I've visited SA plenty of times, and know enough to tell you how to get from Presa Road to De Zavala Road or Babcock or Basse or San Pedro. I can tell you that those big boots outside North Star Mall are tacky, and that I miss Earl Abel's.
So what you're saying is that you've seen internet pictures of Olmos Park, are an expert with either Google Map or Mapquest and you read articles about storied restaurants that get bulldozed for highrises. Also try Hollywood Park, Highland Hills, Highland Park, Terrell Hills, Alamo Heights, Northwood, Oak Park, Shavano Park, Helotes, Fair Oaks Ranch, Grey Forest if you want trees in abundance.

I've only lived in SA since 2003.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2006, 11:17 PM
BANNED

I shouldn't even dignify that comment with a reply, but I will. So I'm the kid they banned for starting fights or whatever he did? That's shocking news to me.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2006, 11:20 PM

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul in S.A TX View Post
Ive been through the midwest and some of it is brown.Nowhere near more green than San ANtonio.
Its really not a matter of opinion. Fact is, San Antonio is located in a drier climate and recieves much less rain than the midwest does. Also, the persistent hot weather takes its toll on much of the vegetation here as well. Is San Antonio a dustbowl? Of course not. But it is certainly not as "green" as much of the midwest is. It is a gorgeous city nonetheless though. Why are you guys so hellbent on San Antonio being lush and green, anyways?

Old Posted Dec 12, 2006, 11:20 PM
passion for patterns

Quote:
So what you're saying is that you've seen internet pictures of Olmos Park, are an expert with either Google Map or Mapquest and you read articles about storied restaurants that get bulldozed for highrises. Also try Hollywood Park, Highland Hills, Highland Park, Terrell Hills, Alamo Heights, Northwood, Oak Park, Shavano Park, Helotes, Fair Oaks Ranch, Grey Forest if you want trees in abundance.

I've only lived in SA since 2003.
Dude, you're taking words out of my mouth that I didn't say. I have spent countless thanksgivings and a few christmas evenings in Olmos Park. My aunt and uncle (and two cousins) live on Hermine Blvd. if you even know where that is. and I was saying that Olmos Park was nice!

and I've eaten at Earl Abel's several times, and I loved its uniqueness. I was complimenting San Antonio. Hell, my ex went to Judson High School. You should apologize for creating incorrect suppositions, simply because my opinions differ from yours. I've been to San Antonio too many times to count - I could almost tell you by rote rehearsal the names of every exit on the way on IH-35.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2006, 11:24 PM
passion for patterns

I mean, really, I am really ticked off. I hope you get exposed as Saytownboy and banned. I've been to the Saint, the Bonham, I've been all over the city, even down near Palo Alto College on the edge of nowhere. I've been to the Pig Stand, and that taco place that becomes a drag queen hangout. I've been to the original Central Market on Broadway. I've been to King William and First Friday or whatever it's called... been all over the damned city. And I still stand by what I say, douche.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2006, 11:26 PM
BANNED

What I said was sarcastic in tone.

However, outside of the Olmos Park/Uptown Broadway area and the freeway into San Antonio, I venture to bet you didn't examine any other sections of San Antonio, probably the Riverwalk every so often. Also, when was this? You were probably a kid, so I'd say 10-15 years ago.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2006, 11:28 PM
passion for patterns

Quote:
What I said was sarcastic in tone.

However, outside of the Olmos Park/Uptown Broadway area and the freeway into San Antonio, I venture to bet you didn't examine any other sections of San Antonio, probably the Riverwalk every so often. Also, when was this? You were probably a kid, so I'd say 10-15 years ago.
I was born in 1981. So do the math...
I couldn't have gotten into the Bonham 15 years ago. I would have to have had an excellent fake ID. Earl Abel's only closed down recently. The last time I was in San Antonio was December '05.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2006, 11:29 PM
BANNED

Quote:
I mean, really, I am really ticked off. I hope you get exposed as Saytownboy and banned. I've been to the Saint, the Bonham, I've been all over the city, even down near Palo Alto College on the edge of nowhere. I've been to the Pig Stand, and that taco place that becomes a drag queen hangout. I've been to the original Central Market on Broadway. I've been to King William and First Friday or whatever it's called... been all over the damned city. And I still stand by what I say, douche.
You hope I get exposed as someone I have never been and banned. Maybe you need to be banned. I've done nothing to have that assumption cast upon me. Hell, I find it a great disrespect towards myself. I've done nothing to warrent any ill will towards myself and I respect everyone's opinion here. But some of things you say I have a slight problem with, that is all.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2006, 11:31 PM
passion for patterns

You didn't get the irony - by supposing you were someone you weren't, I was doing EXACTLY what you did to me. Sucks doesn't? Don't make up suppositions about me, and I won't about you. Capice?

Old Posted Dec 12, 2006, 11:32 PM
BANNED

Quote:
I was born in 1981. So do the math...
I couldn't have gotten into the Bonham 15 years ago. I would have to have had an excellent fake ID. Earl Abel's only closed down recently. The last time I was in San Antonio was December '05.
Sir, do not get testy with me, I'm supposed to know you are 25? The clues you gave me painted a picture of someone who visited the out of town family during the holidays with your family (your parents). And I posted that before reading your post about going to those clubs.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions