HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted May 12, 2009, 10:02 PM
It's Hammer Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer Native View Post
And I wonder why the NHL fought to not reveal details of this rival bid? Perhaps not as great as they would have everyone believe? You'd think if it was a great bid by a white knight they would want to use it as ammunition in their court fight. Interesting.
Probably because he doesn't have any interest in buying the team.

Quote:
But the associate believes he (Jerry Reinsdorf) has misgivings about getting involved and likely will pass.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...,1362742.story

Old Posted May 12, 2009, 10:43 PM
It's Hammer Time

I just found out that there will indeed be a rally in Hamilton, support NHL team in Hamilton. Chris Ecklund is working on the rally.

Show your suport on Facebook
http://www.new.facebook.com/group.php?gid=31993331900
Over 5,000 people so far.

Old Posted May 13, 2009, 12:32 AM
It's Hammer Time

Exclusive: Balsillie would seek public funding for Copps reno

May 12, 2009
Nicole MacIntyre
The Hamilton Spectator
http://www.thespec.com/News/BreakingNews/article/564847

A SPECTATOR EXCLUSIVE

Jim Balsillie will seek public funds to renovate Copps Coliseum if he scores an NHL team for Hamilton.

The BlackBerry billionaire would foot the bill for initial upgrades, estimated at about $30 million
, to get the arena ready for a team.

But when it comes to a long-term overhaul of the city-owned facility, which could cost upwards of $150 million, Balsillie would ask Hamilton to “work with the two upper tiers of government to seek infrastructure funding,” said his spokesperson Bill Walker.

The request marks the first time Balsillie has publicly stated he’s looking for government financing. It was previously thought he would bankroll the entire renovation to bring the arena up to NHL standards.

Mayor Fred Eisenberger said he doesn’t think the request is “out of line” and would likely be positively received.

“I do know there is interest from other levels of government to look at this,” he said, noting the government has helped other cities fund pro sports facilities.

No money will come from the city, added Eisenberger.

A spokesperson for Premier Dalton McGuinty noted he has been “enthusiastic in his support of a southern Ontario hockey team.”

“We’ve worked well with the City of Hamilton and would look at any infrastructure request that comes forward,” said Karman Wong, adding the province can’t speculate on the outcome until it sees a proposal.

Prime Minister Stephen Harper has also spoken in favour of another Canadian NHL team, saying he believes there’s enough support in southern Ontario.

A spokesperson for Transport, Infrastructure and Communities Minister John Baird said the government is currently reviewing Hamilton’s infrastructure requests for this year. If their priorities change, “the city must let us know,” said Chris Day.

City council is expected to consider a lease deal with Balsillie at its Wednesday night meeting. The co-CEO of Research In Motion wants to lock up rights to Copps as he continues to fight the NHL for control of the bankrupt Phoenix Coyotes in court.

Eisenberger said the city is seeking firm funding commitments from Balsillie that were lacking in previous agreements.

“We are going to make it sweeter than it was,” he said. “We are asking for more assurances than we had last time.”

Eisenberger declined to identify the dollar figure the city wants on paper. He explained the city’s last agreement with Balsillie in 2007 called for significant investment at Copps but didn’t state a number.

Council had verbal assurances from Balsillie that he would foot the bill for renovations in the range of $100 million to $150 million, said Eisenberger.

While councillors and the community presumed the money would come from Balsillie's pockets, it was never made clear, he added.

“It could have been a collection of resources.”

According to sources, Balsillie was also seeking government funding when he tried to relocate the Nashville Predators to Hamilton in 2007.

Walker declined to address his client’s dialogue with governments, saying he doesn’t comment on “private discussions.”

The amount Balsillie is willing to commit to the larger renovation will depend on his discussions with the city and upper levels of government, Walker said.

Balsillie has not considered what he would do if he didn’t receive government funding to help upgrade Copps, said Walker.

Balsillie needs to get the lease deal and hockey team first, he noted. “That’s probably too far down that assumption path for us to go.”

He added he is not aware of Balsillie looking to build an arena in another community.

He’s committed to Hamilton,” Walker said, noting the initial renovation is still a significant investment in a facility that will remain city-owned.

Hamilton has always been, and remains now, Mr. Balsillie’s first choice for a locating a potential seventh NHL franchise in Canada.”

City officials have stated fast upgrades to Copps could make it ready for the season this fall.

In the long term, the facility’s roof could be lifted to add more seating and corporate boxes.

Old Posted May 13, 2009, 1:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer Native View Post
And hey Actonite welcome to the forum. Will you be one of our out of town fans if we land this team? To steal a phrase from your town, "It's worth the drive to Hamilton."
Thanx Hammer Native. I actually live in Kitchener but I was born in Acton and most of my family is still there.
I should be honest with you. My first choice would be to see the team in Waterloo Region. As some of you may have noticed on the SSP Waterloo but I'll be all most as happy if they land in Hamilton and stay there.

Long story short if Balsillie is able move this team to Southern Ontario(Hamilton or Waterloo) I'll be cheering for them not the New York Rangers any more.

Old Posted May 13, 2009, 1:19 AM
Hammer'd

I think public funding is going to make all of this a lot more difficult.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted May 13, 2009, 1:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
Probably because he doesn't have any interest in buying the team.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...,1362742.story
The guy I heard on the FAN 590 today said the same thing. Sorry I can't remember his name. He's a reporter from Phoenix and he felt that Reinsdorf did not want to make any financial commitment at all to buying the Phoenix Coyotes.
This guy thinks the NHL had assembled a group of local investors to put forth a bid but were trying to get Reinsdorf to sign on as part of the group to make them sound more credible. Reinsdorf would be part of the group in name only not financially.
I can't claim that this guy is right but from what the NHL pulled today it would be safe to assume he's on to some thing.

Old Posted May 13, 2009, 1:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt602 View Post
I think public funding is going to make all of this a lot more difficult.
Both the province and the feds seem to be behind this. I can't see them turning it down.
Smaller cities are applying for infrastructure funds to build arenas for their OHL teams(Owen Sound & St.Kits) I can't see why Hamilton shouldn't apply as well.
I am surprised that Balsillie wouldn't use his own money though.

Old Posted May 13, 2009, 2:39 AM
Needs more coffee...

I think he'd use it if it came down to it, but if there's a chance the province would fund it, why not? If he funds immediate improvements, there's time for federal and/or provincial funds to go through for the more permanent changes. He's just being a smart businessman, but if push came to shove an extra few million is no big deal for him, especially if there's a good return on that investment.

Old Posted May 13, 2009, 2:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emge View Post
I think he'd use it if it came down to it, but if there's a chance the province would fund it, why not? If he funds immediate improvements, there's time for federal and/or provincial funds to go through for the more permanent changes. He's just being a smart businessman, but if push came to shove an extra few million is no big deal for him, especially if there's a good return on that investment.
150 extra million is a big deal for him.

Old Posted May 13, 2009, 3:10 AM
Needs more coffee...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCTed View Post
150 extra million is a big deal for him.
I guess I posted a bit strongly on that -- the point I was trying to make was that Balsillie wouldn't pull out of bringing a team to Copps because of a funding issue for Copps expansion.

Once a team's coming, the funding should come through anyway, but if it didn't, it wouldn't be a dealbreaker. It may be a little strong to say "he's prepared to dump ____ of his own money in" when he really wants it to be provincial/federal money. But if this team really does end up making money, the initial money to get the arena up to snuff wouldn't be so massive an undertaking for him that it would stall the entire process.

Old Posted May 13, 2009, 3:12 AM
It's Hammer Time

No Copps lease proposal — yet

Ken Peters
The Hamilton Spectator

Hamilton politicians huddled behind closed doors for over two hours tonight but emerged without a Copps Coliseum lease proposal for National Hockey League suitor Jim Balsillie.

But Mayor Fred Eisenberger remains confident a new lease that would provide Balsillie with exclusive rights to Copps Coliseum will be hammered out by Friday and said there is a chance the proposal could be before Hamilton council by Wednesday night.

“I would say it (a lease agreement) has to happen at the very latest by Friday so we’ll do our best to get it ironed out as soon as possible,” he said.

Eisenberger and Hamilton NHL steering committee chairman Terry Whitehead met privately with Balsillie lawyer Richard Rodier today to discuss some of the outstanding lease issues.

Eisenberger would not say what the outstanding issues are but didn’t deny that permanency — a clause that would commit Balsillie to bring an NHL franchise to Copps for the long-term rather than on a temporary basis — is still to be resolved.

And the length of the Copps exclusivity could be a sticking point.

“It will have exclusivity for a limited period of time, not unlike the previous (lease). And it will be a reasonably short window, not a long window,” he said.

Eisenberger hinted that provincial or federal dollars, possibly for Copps upgrades, might be involved.

“No one has offered any money at this point in time but there is always that potential,” he said.

Old Posted May 13, 2009, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emge View Post
I guess I posted a bit strongly on that -- the point I was trying to make was that Balsillie wouldn't pull out of bringing a team to Copps because of a funding issue for Copps expansion.

Once a team's coming, the funding should come through anyway, but if it didn't, it wouldn't be a dealbreaker. It may be a little strong to say "he's prepared to dump ____ of his own money in" when he really wants it to be provincial/federal money. But if this team really does end up making money, the initial money to get the arena up to snuff wouldn't be so massive an undertaking for him that it would stall the entire process.
I often wonder how the whole thing will be financed. While Jim has a very large net worth, nearly all of it is tied up in RIM stock. Contrary to what many people think, he does not just have bags of money lying around and would almost certainly need outside financing for purchasing the team and upgrading the arena. I hope he is able to pull it all off.

Old Posted May 13, 2009, 12:39 PM
It's Hammer Time

I'm hearing that Jim Balsillie himself might attend tonight's council meeting. That should be interesting.

Old Posted May 13, 2009, 1:27 PM

I wonder if we'll be able to hear him speak over the loud suctioning noise of 7 million pairs of lips attached to his ass. You gotta admit, this must be one huge ego boost for the guy, to have so many people adoring his every move. (I'm kinda one of them btw.)

Old Posted May 13, 2009, 2:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actonite View Post
The guy I heard on the FAN 590 today said the same thing. Sorry I can't remember his name. He's a reporter from Phoenix and he felt that Reinsdorf did not want to make any financial commitment at all to buying the Phoenix Coyotes.
This guy thinks the NHL had assembled a group of local investors to put forth a bid but were trying to get Reinsdorf to sign on as part of the group to make them sound more credible. Reinsdorf would be part of the group in name only not financially.
I can't claim that this guy is right but from what the NHL pulled today it would be safe to assume he's on to some thing.
Reported in the Toronto Star today that Reinsdorf was prepared to purchase the Coyotes for $130MM USD. Insert laughter here. No wonder the NHL wants to block any details of this bid.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/article/633426

Old Posted May 13, 2009, 4:25 PM
It's Hammer Time

McGuinty won't rule out public money to fix up Hamilton's Copps Coliseum

29 minutes ago
http://www.google.com/hostednews/can...rBcng20owBCiSw

TORONTO — Ontario Premier Dalton McGuinty isn't ruling out the idea of using taxpayer money to fix up Hamilton's Copps Coliseum to attract a NHL team.

McGuinty says his office has not been approached about a request by RIM co-CEO Jim Balsillie for up to $120 million in federal and provincial funds for renovations to the downtown arena.

He says the province already plans to spend infrastructure dollars in Hamilton to support Ontario's Pan Am Games bid, and wants to hear exactly what Balsillie has in mind.

The premier says the government would have to wait to see if it gets a "sensible" proposal, and said he's very much in favour of bringing a new hockey team to Ontario.

Copps Coliseum is in NDP Leader Andrea Horwath's riding, and while she wants governments to partner with Balsillie to move the Phoenix Coyotes to Hamilton she doesn't want to give him a blank cheque.

McGuinty says the last he heard was that the NHL's board of governors had dug in their heels and were blocking Balsillie's attempts to move the bankrupt Coyotes to southern Ontario.

Old Posted May 13, 2009, 9:26 PM
It's Hammer Time

Balsillie seeks 20-year lease at Copps for Hamilton team

May 13, 2009
http://www.thespec.com/News/BreakingNews/article/565385

Hamilton council will be asked to approve a 20-year lease at Copps Coliseum as part of Jim Balsillie's effort to land an NHL franchise in Hamilton.

"It would mark the beginning of a strong and lasting partnership with the City to bring the NHL to Hamilton," Balsillie said in a statement to council late Wednesday afternoon.

"Hamilton has always been and remains now my first choice for locating a potential seventh NHL franchise in Canada.

"I am not considering any other site locations at this time," he said.

He called Hamilton "the best un-served hockey market in the world."

He cited the benefits for the local economy and the NHL as reasons for choosing Hamilton.

"This would be great for the Hamilton community, for a wide range of businesses, organizations and important causes that would be supported and stimulated by an NHL franchise in Hamilton. That has always been my view."

"We look forward to Hamilton City Council passing a motion tonight at its Council meeting to approve an option for a 20-year lease at Copps Coliseum."

Old Posted May 13, 2009, 9:32 PM
It's Hammer Time

Jim Balsillie statement on NHL in Hamilton

http://www.newswire.ca/en/releases/a.../13/c3731.html

HAMILTON, ON, May 13 /CNW/ - Jim Balsillie issued the following statement today:

Mayor Eisenberger and Council,

I'm writing to you about my longstanding commitment to bringing an NHL franchise to Hamilton.

Hamilton has always been and remains now my first choice for locating a potential seventh NHL franchise in Canada. I am not considering any other site locations at this time.

Our commitment is to bring the NHL to Hamilton and to draw to Hamilton thousands of supportive Southern Ontario hockey fans, in the best un-served hockey market in the world.

We think it's good for Hamilton's local economy, good for the NHL, and the best location for this proposed franchise. But most importantly we think this would be great for the Hamilton community, for a wide range of businesses, organizations and important causes that would be supported and stimulated by an NHL franchise in Hamilton. That has always been my view.

We look forward to Hamilton City Council passing a motion tonight at its Council meeting to approve an option for a 20-year lease at Copps Coliseum. It would mark the beginning of a strong and lasting partnership with the City to bring the NHL to Hamilton.

Old Posted May 13, 2009, 9:33 PM

Sounds good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
Balsillie seeks 20-year lease at Copps for Hamilton team

May 13, 2009
http://www.thespec.com/News/BreakingNews/article/565385

Hamilton council will be asked to approve a 20-year lease at Copps Coliseum as part of Jim Balsillie's effort to land an NHL franchise in Hamilton.

"It would mark the beginning of a strong and lasting partnership with the City to bring the NHL to Hamilton," Balsillie said in a statement to council late Wednesday afternoon.

"Hamilton has always been and remains now my first choice for locating a potential seventh NHL franchise in Canada.

"I am not considering any other site locations at this time," he said.

He called Hamilton "the best un-served hockey market in the world."

He cited the benefits for the local economy and the NHL as reasons for choosing Hamilton.

"This would be great for the Hamilton community, for a wide range of businesses, organizations and important causes that would be supported and stimulated by an NHL franchise in Hamilton. That has always been my view."

"We look forward to Hamilton City Council passing a motion tonight at its Council meeting to approve an option for a 20-year lease at Copps Coliseum."

Old Posted May 13, 2009, 10:31 PM

20 years... I like 20 years. It puts me at ease.

Now to get the damn team. I just don't see it happening this time around. I give everyone permission to rub it in my face if I'm wrong - and I'll enjoy every second of it.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation