HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area

Old Posted Apr 5, 2007, 5:56 PM
NIMBY Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimnebulin View Post
Spotted - snfenoc at Trader Joe's tonight. Yes - he's still alive.
No, that was Jeff Gordon.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2007, 6:58 PM
Got Good Grub?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmoe View Post
No, that was Jeff Gordon.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2007, 4:51 PM
Got Good Grub?

Slightly OT:

snfenoc comes through with the goods. McCain is indeed opening up an office here in 1801 L - 19th Street side of the building, construction close to being done. Nice find.

Also, 2 Senators and 1 Assemblyman/woman, plus Schwarzenegger's Press Secretary live here too.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2007, 6:33 PM

M.A.R.R.S. ATTACKS!

Date & Time: Saturday, April 14, 2007
6:00 PM -till whenever
1000 20th St
Sacramento, CA

This coming 2nd Saturday should be a good one. They're going to be breaking in the new M.A.R.R.S. and this will be their first 2nd Saturday event.

The rumor is that they're going to block 20th street off so there good chance this will be turned into a block party!
Be there or be

Old Posted Apr 8, 2007, 6:57 PM
CHACUN SON GOÛT

We took an out-of-town friend to Badlands: First time there for all of us:

Very nice place. Four bars, 2 outdoor areas, nice video screens, nice upstairs lounge area with view of dance floor below, plus an upstairs bar.

Large center piece rectangular bar. Big dance floor. Large mirrors. Disco lights and the largest cystal ball I've ever seen.

2nd floor outdoor balcony, you can smoke and watch people parade down below on the street.

Outdoor 1st floor patio in the back with awesome waterfall, outdoor bar, queen anne palm trees, very comfortable.

Last edited by BrianSac; Apr 10, 2007 at 2:55 AM.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2007, 7:13 PM

Thanks for the review. I've walked by there several times since it opened and it looks pretty nice. I'm going to check it out next Saturday.

By-the-way, why is there lawn in the tree planting strip? And what is with the boulders? This is club central not Land Park. When the line is out the door and the sidewalk is crowded are we supposed to walk on grass and trip over the rocks? Get with the program guys and replace the grass with some nice pavers. And add a secure bike rack & cage somewhere nearby!

Old Posted Apr 11, 2007, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozone View Post
M.A.R.R.S. ATTACKS!

Date & Time: Saturday, April 14, 2007
6:00 PM -till whenever
1000 20th St
Sacramento, CA

This coming 2nd Saturday should be a good one. They're going to be breaking in the new M.A.R.R.S. and this will be their first 2nd Saturday event.

The rumor is that they're going to block 20th street off so there's good chance this will be turned into a block party!
Be there or be
I wonder if Luigi's Pizza Parlor will be open?

Old Posted Apr 11, 2007, 5:09 AM

Quote:
I wonder if Luigi's Pizza Parlor will be open?
I doubt it. I ride my bike by M.A.R.R.S. every day and from what I can tell there hasn't been any indication that any tenants have began moving in yet. That event looks very exciting though. Second Saturday is busiest in that part of Midtown, in fact last month there were hundreds if not thousands roaming the art galleries around I to K st. on 20th. I'm sure it'll be crazy this weekend with M.A.R.R.S. opening, especially if it turns into a block party!

Old Posted Apr 11, 2007, 3:16 PM
“The Big EasyChair”

Quote:
By-the-way, why is there lawn in the tree planting strip? And what is with the boulders? This is club central not Land Park. When the line is out the door and the sidewalk is crowded are we supposed to walk on grass and trip over the rocks? Get with the program guys and replace the grass with some nice pavers. And add a secure bike rack & cage somewhere nearby!

I disagree.

That lawn strip, the rocks, and trees contribute to make Midtown green and unique...

Similar landscaping can be found all over midtown. Along with planter boxes, flowers etc....

That is Midtown..

Keep it just the way it is...

Old Posted Apr 12, 2007, 12:57 AM

Well I said that because I indeed had to move onto the grass one night because of the crowds and nearly tripped on one of their rocks. I don't see the point of thin strips of grass lawnettes in a high-traffic zone myself but to each, his own.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2007, 11:17 PM

I briefly stopped at Gianni's Trattoria for a beer at the bar while waiting for a friend yesterday. This is the place that replaced the Black Pearl Oyster Bar on J st. I tell you, Peter Torza (owner of Harlows, the former Black Pearl, Momo's Lounge and now Gianni's ) certainly knows how to create hip, modern and trendy eateries and/or bars in town. His restaurants will certainly never be mistaken for a Lyons or Carrows. I really liked the decor and vibe of Black Pearl so I was disappointed to see it close. However, Gianni's is an awesome replacement. I really like how the place opens up to the sidewalk outside with the windowed walls. While you had to walk into Black Pearl to see and appreciate the inside, you can see all inside of Gianni's just walking, riding or driving by. It was packed for a Wed evening yesterday. The main food, I guess, will be pizza but this is not a typical pizza restaurant a la Pizza Hut. It's more like California Pizza Kitchen with pastas, sandwiches and other offerings. We will probably try the place out and have a meal there on Friday when we go see Eek-a-mouse reggae band playing at Harlows that evening.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2007, 12:55 AM

By the way if anyone speaks Italian, what does "sta zietta e'mangia" mean?

Old Posted Apr 14, 2007, 7:59 PM

Okay, had dinner there yesterday. Food was okay. Sometimes hearing a conversation in there is challenging as it was crowded and pretty loud.

Found out "sta zietta e'mangia" means "shut up and eat".

Old Posted Apr 25, 2007, 5:10 AM

Anything that brings Freport Bakery closer to my place is great in my book!

The question is will they still be Freport Bakery?

Freeport Bakery thinking about moving

By Bob Shallit - Bee Staff Write

The popular Freeport Bakery, a fixture at 2966 Freeport Blvd. in Sacramento since 1982, is considering a move to a planned retail, office and housing complex near the light-rail station at Broadway and 19th Street.

But it could be two years before the deal comes out of the oven.

The bakery, owned by Marlene and Walter Goetzeler, "is in negotiations to relocate" to the Broadway complex, said Marc Jasso, the developer behind the project that's now simply called 1901 Broadway.

The bakery would occupy a 6,000-square-foot space at the northeast corner of 19th and Broadway. Jasso said the deal is contingent on the city finding parking for the project's patrons and residents.

Jasso said he hopes to submit applications for the $22 million project next month and break ground next spring, meaning Freeport or any other retail tenants wouldn't be moving in until early 2009.

Last edited by sugit; Apr 26, 2007 at 9:39 PM.

Old Posted May 2, 2007, 1:44 PM
“The Big EasyChair”

Capital is cookin'

Bay Area restaurateurs are flocking to Sacramento region
By Jon Ortiz - Bee Staff Writer
Published 12:00 am PDT Wednesday, May 2, 2007
Story appeared in BUSINESS section, Page D1

The waves of well-off Bay Area transplants who came here for cheaper homes and a slower lifestyle have sparked a second migration: restaurants.

Drawn by the Sacramento region's growing wealth and emerging night life, restaurateurs from San Francisco and its environs are targeting local hot spots with the promise of more choices for local food fans -- and more competition for homegrown operators.

In the last year, at least a half-dozen small restaurants with Bay Area ties have opened here, and at least that many will open locally by the end of this year.

Outside operators say they are feeling the pull from downtown Sacramento's food and entertainment culture and the region's explosive growth, particularly in Roseville/Rocklin and Natomas. They're also being pushed by higher costs in San Francisco that many say make opening a restaurant more expensive than ever.

"You have these two things moving on parallel tracks," said Tim Stannard, who recently added a new Granite Bay Pizza Antica restaurant to the three he owns in the Bay Area. "New mandates in San Francisco and this huge population shift into the Valley. That makes people like me sit up and pay attention to the Sacramento area."

There's no question the influx of Bay Area migrants is transforming the region. Take Placer County. From 2001 to 2005, more than 28,000 people moved in from the nine-county Bay Area, federal tax data show. Their average household income: $84,000.

"So many people here seem to have relocated from the Bay Area," said Molly Hawks, a former San Mateo resident who is opening Hawk's, a white-linen restaurant, in Granite Bay this summer. "But we kept hearing that they missed the kind of small upscale restaurants that are common there."

Randy Paragary, owner of nine area restaurants, acknowledges that competition is ramping up, driven by what he says is a growing sophistication among owners jockeying for discerning diners.

"You see it in new restaurants' menus, the investment going into everything from more beautiful fabrics to better lighting and upscale architecture," Paragary said. "People around here who have been in the business a long time have stepped it up."

Roseville restaurateur and real estate developer Abe Alizadeh exemplifies the trend. Once content to run his Jack in the Box empire -- he owns 71 of the fast food outlets -- Alizadeh recently opened his upscale Crush 29 on Eureka Road.

"The restaurant market in the region is evolving," Alizadeh said during a recent lunch rush at the restaurant and wine bar. "Sacramento today is not the Sacramento of 20 years ago. It's more culturally mature. The customer is more informed."

In Sacramento's outlying areas, the emerging restaurant scene can trace its spreading roots to the Bay Area-fed housing boom and the sense among deep-pocketed national chains that those areas were underserved, said Heath Kastner, a commercial real estate broker for CB Richard Ellis.

The midlevel national chains tested the suburban markets first -- T.G.I. Fridays, Chili's and the like. Then Cheesecake Factory Inc., based in Calabasas Hills, set up shop three years ago at Arden Fair. A year later Orlando-based Ruth's Chris Steakhouse opened in the Galleria and at Pavilions on Fair Oaks Boulevard.

In Natomas, the Walnut Creek-based Dudum Sports & Entertainment and NBA star Chris Webber teamed up for Center Court with C-Webb, a basketball-themed Natomas restaurant that opened in November.

"People from the Bay Area see all that," Kastner said. "They're seeing the volume of business being done, the hour wait times in Roseville and Natomas, and say, 'Hey, I want a piece of that.' "

Buckhorn Grill, owned by John Pickerel of Winters, opened its first Sacramento location this year, but only after successes in San Francisco, Napa and the East Bay. Santa Rosa celebrity chef Guy Fieri recently opened his second barbecue and sushi hybrid, Tex Wasabi's, on Arden Way.

While many restaurateurs are picking off spots in outlying areas, central Sacramento continues to whet appetites.

According to statistics compiled by the Downtown Sacramento Partnership, 29 restaurants have opened in the area between the Capital City Freeway and Old Sacramento since 2005. Another 12 expanded their operations. Paragary and others have new concept restaurants in the planning stages.

A year ago, Stannard, the Pizza Antica owner, decided he needed to break into the Sacramento market after visiting the Wong family's restaurant/nightclub complex on 15th and L streets, The Park Downtown.

"The place was beautiful, and packed with young, affluent, sophisticated people with money to spend, all having a great time," Stannard recalled in a recent phone interview from his San Francisco office. "I thought, 'This place could be anywhere -- San Francisco, L.A., New York. Who wouldn't want to be here?' "

Karl Hasz, a San Francisco developer who scouts restaurant locations for clients, is telling them the Sacramento region is primed for more business. He points to The Park, Dennis Fong's 16th Street Mikuni sushi restaurant and what he calls midtown's "blossoming night life" as proof of the market's possibilities.

Hasz and others admit the area has many successful, high-quality restaurants. But "there's plenty of room to grow," Hasz said. "It will take years to fill it up."

Another plus: It takes less money to do business here. Construction costs and rents in San Francisco, for example, run two times to three times those in Sacramento, Hasz said.

San Francisco is particularly tough, with a higher minimum wage -- $9.12 per hour vs. the statewide $7.50 standard -- and a recently approved universal health care plan paid for, in part, by mandated employer contributions. The Golden Gate Restaurant Association has sued the city to halt the employer mandate.

"Those kinds of things just make it harder and harder to grow in San Francisco," Stannard said. "So you get inspired to look elsewhere."

Stannard's Granite Bay Pizza Antica opened in February, joining his others in Lafayette, Mill Valley and San Jose. The restaurant combines the formal -- a black and white décor and cloth napkins -- with casual touches like its tile floor and open kitchen. The most expensive menu item is an $18.95 steak.

The restaurant, which seats about 100 indoors and another 50 or so on a waterside patio, was nearly full on a recent Thursday night. Stannard says the Granite Bay operation has "picked up traction right out of the gate," and that he is looking at other local sites, including downtown Sacramento.

"We think that this trend of revitalization, even grittier parts of downtown and midtown, isn't going to stop," Stannard said. "Sacramento is climbing demographically, and we think it's a trend with no end in sight."

Old Posted May 2, 2007, 3:10 PM

That's good to hear. Hopefully this eventually also means more cultural ammenities, entertainment options, diversified shopping, etc...

Old Posted May 2, 2007, 4:07 PM

The Stone Grill on the corner 21st and L opened up yesterday. It's looks like it'll be a good place..I'll have to try and give a review. Those guys are smart. The neon sign really brightens up that corner too.

Old Posted May 2, 2007, 8:15 PM
BUFF$LUT

i MIGHT work at buckhorn grill, over at 18th & L.

wish me luck!

Old Posted May 3, 2007, 3:45 AM
CHACUN SON GOÛT

Quote:
The Stone Grill on the corner 21st and L opened up yesterday. It's looks like it'll be a good place..I'll have to try and give a review. Those guys are smart. The neon sign really brightens up that corner too.
cool, i was wondering about that place, give us a report when you get back.

Old Posted May 3, 2007, 3:47 AM
CHACUN SON GOÛT

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtownserg89 View Post
i MIGHT work at buckhorn grill, over at 18th & L.

wish me luck!
Good luck! you can cut me extra large pieces of meat when I go there.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area