HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

30 Park Place in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jun 21, 2008, 8:33 AM

I'm amazed at how fast this seems to be going.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2008, 9:15 AM
Everywhere all at once

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scruffy View Post

Not to go off topic, but 10 Barclay really came out so well, and it shows in these pictures. Great new addition, as will 30 Park Place be.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2008, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scruffy View Post
And i like the classical look at the ground floor of Barclay
Too bad the rest of the tower doesn't look as classy otherwise it would've been great.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2008, 1:01 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by StatenIslander237 View Post
Not to go off topic, but 10 Barclay really came out so well
It certainly did. It's one of the better residentials Downtown.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2008, 1:55 PM
low-riding

some more I found and thats it I promise

If you look closely you can see that its the old lobby floor thats exposed now to the outside

And a bonus

Plus a shot of Woolworth that we haven't seen since 99 church was built and one we're not going to see again as soon as 30 Park Place is built

Old Posted Jun 27, 2008, 1:34 PM
New Yorker for life

http://downtownexpress.com/de_269/th...toprepare.html

The season to prepare for Four Seasons construction

June 27 - July 3, 2008

Demolition at 99 Church St. is done, but that doesn’t mean developer Silverstein Properties can leap right into the construction of the new Four Seasons hotel and condo tower.

Before Richard McKinley, Silverstein’s development manager, can look up to see the tower rise, he has to look down. The site abuts the 2/3 and E subway lines, so workers need to brace the concrete bathtub wall that traces the border of the property. That work started in late May and should conclude soon.

At Community Board 1’s W.T.C. Redevelopment Committee in June, McKinley updated the board on progress at the site of former headquarters of Moody’s Corp.

Starting in the winter, workers demolished one floor every two weeks, knocking out concrete, burning steel beams and pushing in walls, using the elevators as trash chutes.

Now workers are reinforcing the bathtub, and once that is complete, Silverstein will build the foundation. By February 2009, the superstructure will start to rise. Then, by June 2010, McKinley expects the building, designed by Robert A.M. Stern, to top out at 912 feet. The facade will follow no more than a month behind, completed in July of that year.

McKinley hopes to open the 190-room five-star hotel in January 2011 and start moving people into the 143 condos about six months later.

The market-rate condos won’t be accessible to everyone, but McKinley showed one feature of the project that has no entrance fee: an 8,600-square-foot public plaza on the east side of the site that will be open 24 hours a day.

Dara McQuillan, spokesperson for Silverstein, said the plaza will be modeled after the one outside 7 W.T.C., which has a European style.

Silverstein will install one crane on Church St., which will require a lane to be closed, and may install another on the east side of the site near Park Place.

With concern over construction — and especially crane accidents — on everyone’s mind, McKinley promised that contractor Tishman Construction Corp. would be extra cautious. McKinley agreed to implement at 99 Church St. the same safety measures Tishman is using on its Goldman Sachs site, after a sheet of metal flew off the Goldman building and landed in the adjacent ballfield.

Although some board members protested the project’s lack of affordable housing and the public garage with 60 spaces that could encourage driving Downtown, the reaction was mostly positive.

“It’s too bad we have to wait another four years to see the completion of this,” committee chairperson Catherine McVay Hughes said.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2008, 3:45 PM

Can we clone this Catherine McVay Hughes person and put her in all of the CB Committees?

Old Posted Jun 27, 2008, 6:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
Can we clone this Catherine McVay Hughes person and put her in all of the CB Committees?
Motion seconded. Seriously, someone needs to look up her email or something and send a commendation.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2008, 11:58 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Seriously...

Quote:
Although some board members protested the project’s lack of affordable housing and the public garage with 60 spaces that could encourage driving Downtown, the reaction was mostly positive.

“It’s too bad we have to wait another four years to see the completion of this,” committee chairperson Catherine McVay Hughes said.
That anything involving a tower over 900 ft, even if it is in the shadow of the WTC, met with "mostly positive" response from a CB is worthy of a parade...

Old Posted Jul 4, 2008, 6:09 PM
low-riding

the tower is geared to the uber rich. its not a place for affordable housing. I hate that people think every building should have affordable housing. i say this even as I would kill to live in this building and don't have a dream of being able to afford it. But for the uber rich to move in, you need to include pk spots. its a given. even though the site is bordered by 2 subway tunnels, non-mayor richies don't take the subway. im surprised that they only included 60 spots. I thought it would be at least twice that.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2008, 7:14 PM

15 CPW has 0 parking. Many of the other fancy apartment buildings around the city also don't have parking.

The argument that there should be parking would start to move this city into a direction we don't want to see. Just ask Chicago.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2008, 7:31 PM
World Machine

There really is no need for parking whatsoever. Whoever purchases an apartment in this building, I would say will be driven when in Manhattan. Their Ferrari’s and Bentley’s will most likely be housed in the garages of their Hampton weekend homes. I’ve been in a garage of a ‘high end’ apartment building on West 56th Street and 8th Avenue, and it was only big enough to house ten to fifth teen cars. I did however see two Aston Martins, one under a tarp and the other in open sight. You also had your BMW’s and I believe one Jaguar. Another example is when I was on the Belt Parkway back in November at about 8am, and I couldn’t count on all my fingers how many limos there were, most likely headed out to the Hamptons for the weekend. Point is very few high society folk in Manhattan keep their auto mobiles in the city.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2008, 8:02 PM

Exactly. The ultra-rich just don't do their own driving in this city. It's either cabs or more likely, they have their own chauffeurs.

The kind of lifestyle where one drives into an underground garage, park their car and then take an elevator to his/her apartment is common in the downtowns of many other cities but it is not something that is even remotely common in NY.

Let's keep it that way.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2008, 8:09 PM
low-riding

i guess you're right. Im not for the parking, i just assumed it was an added perk to the rich. Im thinking 200 11th where they have the car elevator to park your car outside your door

Old Posted Jul 5, 2008, 11:56 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
The kind of lifestyle where one drives into an underground garage, park their car and then take an elevator to his/her apartment is common in the downtowns of many other cities but it is not something that is even remotely common in NY.
It shows, for example, if you compare some of the many apartment towers of Chicago with those of New York.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2008, 4:30 AM
New Yorker for life

In a couple of years, this will be one of Downtown's exclusive addresses...

Quote:
Before Richard McKinley, Silverstein’s development manager, can look up to see the tower rise, he has to look down. The site abuts the 2/3 and E subway lines, so workers need to brace the concrete bathtub wall that traces the border of the property. That work started in late May and should conclude soon.

Now workers are reinforcing the bathtub, and once that is complete, Silverstein will build the foundation. By February 2009, the superstructure will start to rise. Then, by June 2010, McKinley expects the building, designed by Robert A.M. Stern, to top out at 912 feet. The facade will follow no more than a month behind, completed in July of that year.

JULY 10, 2008

Old Posted Aug 4, 2008, 6:57 AM

Quote:
15 CPW has 0 parking. Many of the other fancy apartment buildings around the city also don't have parking.

The argument that there should be parking would start to move this city into a direction we don't want to see. Just ask Chicago.
Yes 15 CPW does have a parking garage for 200+ cars as well as a private Motorcourt with valet services. Most people who live there are driven/drive.

All
high-end new construction condos in Manhattan have parking garages, and nearly all new condos in Manhattan have garages even if they aren't high end buildings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dac150 View Post
There really is no need for parking whatsoever. Whoever purchases an apartment in this building, I would say will be driven when in Manhattan. Their Ferrari’s and Bentley’s will most likely be housed in the garages of their Hampton weekend homes. I’ve been in a garage of a ‘high end’ apartment building on West 56th Street and 8th Avenue, and it was only big enough to house ten to fifth teen cars. I did however see two Aston Martins, one under a tarp and the other in open sight. You also had your BMW’s and I believe one Jaguar. Another example is when I was on the Belt Parkway back in November at about 8am, and I couldn’t count on all my fingers how many limos there were, most likely headed out to the Hamptons for the weekend. Point is very few high society folk in Manhattan keep their auto mobiles in the city.
Yes, there are a lot of exotic cars in parking garages in Manhattan. And yes, there is need for parking; if there were no need for parking, they wouldn't build parking. The developers know what they're doing and who they're selling to. Only a fraction of wealthy NYC people have homes in The Hamptons, anyway.

Last week, I visited one of my clients in the Mandarin Oriental Time Warner residences and I saw hoards of exotic cars parked underground and he had a Ferrari and a Porsche himself and drives them mostly. I used to be an agent and most of the time the high-end client wouldn't even look at the building if it didn't offer parking (especially the younger/nouveau moneyed ones and people with children).

Last edited by YSL; Aug 4, 2008 at 7:48 AM.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2008, 7:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
Although some board members protested the project’s lack of affordable housing
Affordable housing?

Why on earth would there be affordable housing in a luxury building of this caliber for Christ sake? Isn't this the building with the Four Season Hotel in it? Unless I'm mistaken, I was under the impression that this would be a really expensive building. If so, how absurd.

Some people are just crazy.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2008, 2:31 PM

Perhaps this bldg belongs in the skyscraper construction forum. Certainly has gone far beyond the proposal stage. Plus this is Silverstein's bldg! he gets it done!!

Last edited by Antares41; Aug 5, 2008 at 2:33 PM. Reason: add a comment

Old Posted Aug 5, 2008, 4:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antares41 View Post
Perhaps this bldg belongs in the skyscraper construction forum. Certainly has gone far beyond the proposal stage. Plus this is Silverstein's bldg! he gets it done!!
It will go to the construction forum only when the foundations (e.g. piles) for the actual building go in the ground. However, like you said, it's Silverstein, so chances are he won't have us waiting for long. If this were done by the Port Authority you could expect the foundations to go in around 2011.

Speaking of which, I'm changing the title to mention "site prep". As soon as there are photos of piles in the ground, it's going to the construction section.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive