HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Skyscraper & Urban Art

Old Posted Jan 4, 2011, 11:52 PM
New Yorker for life

Keep up the good work...

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2011, 12:14 AM

After looking back the couple of pages I think WTC 3 is officially my new favorite of the new WTC buildings. And of course incredible one with C57, 15 Penn and the WTC, the mass of 15 Penn is incredible.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2011, 10:20 AM
Because I'm Clever!

Not sure why (probably because they're tests) but I never posted these images of 2 World Trade Center. Not final product...but interesting enough. They're more recent than some of the other ones around here

Old Posted Jan 6, 2011, 10:29 PM

they should make an observation floor in tower 2 more view of the bridges

Old Posted Jan 7, 2011, 11:52 PM
Because I'm Clever!

Rebuilding 1 World Trade. This is roughly version 3.0, replacing v2.5 seen up to now. Main thing is more accuracy, with a far better curtain wall that's separated out from the columns, which have also been re-done for better accuracy.

As usual, I'm futzing with the glass again. Trying something new that I thing looks really good. You won't actually see the smaller, second row of columns in the podium, as they'll be blocked by the vents. So I temporarily made them 50% see-through.

Comparison with V1.0, which featured the original 2005 building design.

Last edited by STR; Jan 8, 2011 at 10:07 AM.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2011, 9:42 AM
Because I'm Clever!

Should be done by Sunday. It's pretty much down to the core and a few other mostly internal features.

Last edited by STR; Jan 8, 2011 at 9:59 AM.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2011, 4:39 PM
Closed account

Is the acutal building itself a facade texture, or a geo- facade?

Great job.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2011, 4:49 PM

I didn't think it could get better, but it did. When you are done you should just pack them up and send them to Silverstein or do SOMETHING because you deserve more praise for these.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2011, 8:36 PM
Because I'm Clever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesrule View Post
Is the acutal building itself a facade texture, or a geo- facade?

Great job.
Thanks. It's a mixture. It's mostly geometry, the individual pins holding the single panes of glass in the base are fully modeled. Wish I could have just thrown up a texture, but it looked like crap. Smaller details like the seems between the metal facade panels are bump-mapped textures. No good 3D model relies on a single trick or method. You gotta mix and match depending on the detail needed. The whole building is ~100,000 polygons, which is actually pretty lightweight for something with this level of detail, though because I had to model every single pane and pin in the base, it's 30% more complex than 2 & 3 WTC which are each around 70,000 polygons.

Last edited by STR; Jan 8, 2011 at 10:21 PM.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2011, 11:07 AM
Because I'm Clever!

Not sure why it did a sun-swoosh. Must be something about the wavy material that messed with it.

Image of NYC's 2 tallest or all 5 WTC towers?

Last edited by STR; Jan 9, 2011 at 12:11 PM.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2011, 5:04 PM
Is That LEGO?

Quote:
Originally Posted by STR View Post
Wow. I never really thought about the existance of that view. That takes the John Hancock Center taper effect to the max!

Old Posted Jan 9, 2011, 5:14 PM
illwaukee/crooklyn

Bravo! Beautiful work.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2011, 10:37 AM
don't *meddle*...

those are some crazy renders str, love them.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2011, 10:07 PM
Closed account

That last render of the bottom look real!

Old Posted Jan 11, 2011, 2:29 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
I'll be spending a lot of time on that plaza...

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2011, 3:49 AM
Because I'm Clever!

^The east side will be better. Larger area, a view of all 7 major buildings, and fewer tourists. The West entrance will be the street level entrance to the observation deck (at least, that's where they'll herd people, the actual Obs. Deck entrance is in the concourse, but the west entrance is separated from the rest of the lobby).

Messing with weather Part 1.

Part 2.

26th(? I don't remember) floor.

Messing with reflections. If you look at the notch in 2WTC closest to the viewer, you'll see that it blurred even the reflection of an object that is zero distance from the reflecting surface. This isn't how the WTC glass looks, as it produces mirror-like perfect reflections of objects nearby, slowly fading to blurry objects as the light is scattered slight by the air between the two objects. This will be reflected (no pun intended) in the next series of renders.

Last edited by STR; Jan 11, 2011 at 10:38 AM.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2011, 5:00 AM

Very nice renderings. Whenever I see the WTC1 I think about the contest a few years ago. Libeskind won the contest. The final design doesn't look much like the winning design. I just don't get the purpose of the contest if they weren't going to use the winning design.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2011, 6:08 AM
Because I'm Clever!

The contest was for a master plan, not any of the buildings.

Comparing changes in weather and angles.

Last edited by STR; Jan 12, 2011 at 11:53 AM.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2011, 2:23 PM

What program do you use for rendering? What is your computer like--memory, speed?

Old Posted Jan 12, 2011, 11:48 PM
Because I'm Clever!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Skyscraper & Urban Art