HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

The Sky One in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Ottawa Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Feb 5, 2015, 8:18 PM

I can see that because NYC and Toronto both have multiple great (or reasonably good) skylines...

In Ottawa, even though the Dow's Lake Skyline will be mostly condos, it will be "in my opinion" the only "skyline" in the city... The CBD is just filled with lot-line to lot-line 20 story buildings. That's not a skyline... And there's no good "angle" for it either.. From the north, east, south or west, you don't really see any cluster of towers; almost looks more like tall(er) midrises..

Old Posted Feb 5, 2015, 8:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTSkyline View Post
^ WOw, very cool and looks great with the height and the variety in heights! Just what a skyline is supposed to be!

I wonder if when these are built people will always post pictures of little italy when referring to the "Ottawa skyline" instead of the actual CBD?
That's a very good point! I suspect Ottawa's skyline photos will forever be that of the Parliament Buildings though...

Old Posted Feb 5, 2015, 8:31 PM

Quote:
I can see that because NYC and Toronto both have multiple great (or reasonably good) skylines...

In Ottawa, even though the Dow's Lake Skyline will be mostly condos, it will be "in my opinion" the only "skyline" in the city... The CBD is just filled with lot-line to lot-line 20 story buildings. That's not a skyline... And there's no good "angle" for it either.. From the north, east, south or west, you don't really see any cluster of towers; almost looks more like tall(er) midrises..
I actually don't mind the view of downtown when driving on the 417 westbound, right around the Vanier Pkwy and Nicholas exits (in that general area.)

Other than that, you're right, Ottawa's skyline is insignificant. I once read (and I think it may have actually been in these forums) that Ottawa's skyline looks like someone took a hedge trimmer and trimmed all the tops off the buildings to the same height.

One thing Ottawa should consider (other than allowing more height in the CBD) is to limit flat rooftops. By requiring spires or other architecturally significant features on the roof, we could add diversity without increasing height.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2015, 8:49 PM

Quote:

Coming down Montreal road towards downtown, when you start going down the hill on the way to Vanier, is actually a really cool vantage of downtown. Same with coming down the slight hill on the QED between the round-about and Preston

Old Posted Feb 5, 2015, 8:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcologist View Post
I actually don't mind the view of downtown when driving on the 417 westbound, right around the Vanier Pkwy and Nicholas exits (in that general area.)

Other than that, you're right, Ottawa's skyline is insignificant. I once read (and I think it may have actually been in these forums) that Ottawa's skyline looks like someone took a hedge trimmer and trimmed all the tops off the buildings to the same height.

One thing Ottawa should consider (other than allowing more height in the CBD) is to limit flat rooftops. By requiring spires or other architecturally significant features on the roof, we could add diversity without increasing height.
Yup! Do you remember when planning staff lopped off the point and spire for the Rhombus? It was going to be a neat building on Parkdale, but the developer beside them complained that it was crowding their highrise.

Skyline by Shel DeF on Flickr

Old Posted Feb 6, 2015, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by defishel View Post
Yup! Do you remember when planning staff lopped off the point and spire for the Rhombus? It was going to be a neat building on Parkdale, but the developer beside them complained that it was crowding their highrise.
It was the Design Review Panel of fancy pants architects from Skyliney Toronto who lopped off the pointy top from from the TEGA Tower. So make of that what you will. Doesn't matter though, TEGA was never going to build it, the design was a joke, and a play to get the huge up zoning and inflate the value of the land for a flip. I still can't believe staff and council gave TEGA more density (therefore free profit) than real projects from real builders Urbandale-Hobin and Richcraft-Lahey next door.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2015, 2:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley613 View Post
I've been wondering the same... Imagine if North York had taller buildings than Downtown Toronto... That's what I compare this to.
In Washington DC, the skylines of Bethesda, Rosslyn and Crystal City, all just outside DC itself, are more impressive than the downtown skyline.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2015, 4:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternallyme View Post
In Washington DC, the skylines of Bethesda, Rosslyn and Crystal City, all just outside DC itself, are more impressive than the downtown skyline.
True...and it's pretty neat too. I feel like I'm downtown when I'm in Georgetown because I can see the buildings right over the river in Rosslyn. This sub-skyline is going to have an effect on a lot of adjacent neighbourhoods. It's going to make more of Ottawa feel like more of a city.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2015, 4:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternallyme View Post
True...and it's pretty neat too. I feel like I'm downtown when I'm in Georgetown because I can see the buildings right over the river in Rosslyn. This sub-skyline is going to have an effect on a lot of adjacent neighbourhoods. It's going to make more of Ottawa feel like more of a city.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2015, 4:47 AM
National Capital Region

Koops has updated the diagram for Ottawa
http://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?cityID=60

Old Posted Feb 6, 2015, 2:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterloowarrior View Post
Koops has updated the diagram for Ottawa
http://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?cityID=60
Nice! Is it me or the Tribeca towers as well ans the Claridge Plaza(s) are not featured?

Old Posted Feb 6, 2015, 4:06 PM

That photo above and the diagram are so depressing... Most buildings are ugly and all the same height..

Old Posted Feb 6, 2015, 4:38 PM

really not a thing to get depressed about.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2015, 6:06 AM

These 2 buildings remind me of the ICE twins in Toronto, just a little bit shorter...

Old Posted Feb 8, 2015, 6:49 PM

Quote:
That photo above and the diagram are so depressing... Most buildings are ugly and all the same height..
#BellLetsTalk

Old Posted Feb 8, 2015, 7:40 PM

I would love to see a line of town-houses fronting the multi-use pathway. I think they would add a lot more character to that pathway.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2015, 8:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvergate View Post
I would love to see a line of town-houses fronting the multi-use pathway. I think they would add a lot more character to that pathway.
Actually that could be nice if you had some well-designed homes. It would also be great if there were storefront along the MUP for people passing by.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2015, 5:51 PM
Mooderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterloowarrior View Post
Playing around with Google Earth...

Coming westbound from Montreal, you could probably see these around Anderson Rd.

From the hill in Kanata, it would certainly stick out.

Right now, if you travel on Lucerne in Aylmer (near Vanier) towards downtown, Minto Metropole is prominent. I think the Dow's Lake buildings would be right behind it.. and much taller.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2015, 6:21 PM

Was listening to the radio in the car this morning, I believe 105,3 and heard an ad for the Dow Honda relocation sale, so they are getting ready to move already (to somewhere on Merivale).

Old Posted Feb 10, 2015, 3:03 AM

Rumour has it Richcraft wants to have Sherwood extended through Juliana Park to Prince of Wales, despite it being off the table.

As a resident of the area who cycles this route quite often I sure as hell hope that extension proposal is rejected. The park could use better programming, but running a lane for cars to go through would be quite bad. (The intersection is unpleasant enough).

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa