HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Mar 13, 2016, 11:44 PM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
I thought we were done discussing this apparently cancelled project. But the Taco Cabana was demolished this past week. I was under the impression that it was just going to be remodeled and reopened as a Pollo Tropical.

Also, the first Austin area Pollo Tropical is U/C in Kyle. They have several S.A. locations.
I can only take this as good news. I can't imagine why they would demolish a restaurant and replace it with another restaurant, especially if it's only temporary (even if it's as long a as a few years) - that was my understanding of the Pollo Tropical thing anyway.

Then again, crazier things have happened. Maybe it'll be a parking lot.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2016, 2:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer View Post
I can only take this as good news. I can't imagine why they would demolish a restaurant and replace it with another restaurant, especially if it's only temporary (even if it's as long a as a few years) - that was my understanding of the Pollo Tropical thing anyway.

Then again, crazier things have happened. Maybe it'll be a parking lot.
I drove by it today. It looks like they left a wall up and didn't tear up the foundation. Looks like a remodel to me.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2016, 2:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin_dude View Post
I drove by it today. It looks like they left a wall up and didn't tear up the foundation. Looks like a remodel to me.
A major remodel. Something similar was done to the long abandoned Sonic on Riverside. It's now a soon to be opening "Taco Joint".

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2016, 2:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
A major remodel. Something similar was done to the long abandoned Sonic on Riverside. It's now a soon to be opening "Taco Joint".
That "one wall" rule is so stupid. I get it I just think it's stupid.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2016, 2:52 AM
Love Austin

Call me cray, but there is a part of me that's happy this is going to be *temporarily* renovated. I'm with planning commissioner Oliver who said that this site calls for a "300' tower"! In November of '18 District 9 elects a new Council Member, most likely someone who will recognize the limited available inventory for such buildings and also sees the incredible value that such towers bring to the city. What then?

Old Posted Mar 15, 2016, 5:57 PM

I could be mistaken, but I believe that site is restricted by the waterfront overlay.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2016, 8:21 AM

Now I'm really confused about this project. The Planning Commission takes up an issue with the sidewalks for this 211 S. Lamar "Commercial Multi Family" project on Tuesday night 03/22.

http://www.austintexas.gov/edims/document.cfm?id=250378

Old Posted Mar 22, 2016, 12:22 AM
World Traveler

^ I second the being confused part. If this means that it's happening and Pollo Tropical isn't happening, I'm all for it. I hope that's what it means, anyway...

Old Posted Mar 22, 2016, 2:13 AM

They still have one wall (only the studs) standing. My theory is that they are rebuilding the building almost exactly as it was before and use it short term for Pollo Tropical or something else like it. They are leaving the one wall so it is classified as a remodel and not a complete re-build or new design which (probably) would require extra permits. If they are trying to get a "quick" turnaround and still have an efficient, up-to-date building, this seams to make sense.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2016, 11:05 AM

Doesn't the Austonian have one of the original walls from the old glass factory it replaced? Could it not be a similar case here?

Old Posted Mar 22, 2016, 6:20 PM

Hard to believe they are rebuilding with expectation of only using it a few years. Don't think the numbers add up versus just making it a parking lot or renting out to food trailers. It would also be incredibly environmentally wasteful given the energy and raw resources required only to be used for a short time before demo'd. And what lender would go along with such a plan?

Old Posted Mar 22, 2016, 9:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by verybadgnome View Post
Hard to believe they are rebuilding with expectation of only using it a few years. Don't think the numbers add up versus just making it a parking lot or renting out to food trailers. It would also be incredibly environmentally wasteful given the energy and raw resources required only to be used for a short time before demo'd. And what lender would go along with such a plan?
Agreed. I don't think we'll see anything other than a restaurant on this lot for the next decade. What an unbelievable waste of prime real estate.

Also, if it's going to stay a restaurant, couldn't we at least get a great attraction instead of a fast food chain? Terrible.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2016, 3:43 AM

KXAN has a story.

http://kxan.com/2016/03/22/plan-for-...t-on-the-menu/

From the story:

Quote:
Amanda Swor, a senior project manager with Drenner Group, said there will be a high rise in the future, but there are no plans as of now.
Well it's settled -- for now.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2016, 8:57 AM
World Traveler

Wa wa....

Old Posted Mar 23, 2016, 2:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by verybadgnome View Post
That would be a perfect location for food trailers. I'd be there all of the time. Plus, they're easier to roll away once they are ready to start development. It's a no brainer. The lease must be worth a pretty penny. Because, why else on earth would they put that stupid Pollo Tropical there instead?

Old Posted Mar 23, 2016, 3:31 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Since when is a 96 foot tall structure a highrise? Some of these news reports tend to overstate these things. Its a VMU midrise not a towering highrise.

The fact that it's going to be a Pollo Tropical means we won't see anything happen for about a decade if not longer. As others have already said why go through the effort and money especially Taco Cabana corporate to rebuild a restaurant only to have it demolished in a few years? It's going to be longer than a few years or else they wouldn't bother.

The only thing that they could do is design the restaurant to where it could be incorporated into the VMU. Not sure if something like that has ever been done before but I doubt they are doing that.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2016, 3:53 PM

I feel so cheap. I actually took time out of my day to go to Town Hall to vote for their variance.

What a joke. This "restaurant" will be there at least 20 years, unless the landlord is paying a huge tenant allowance.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2016, 2:59 AM
World Traveler

^ Lame. Well, we lost that one. What a bummer. I agree that this is a massively wasted opportunity.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2017, 12:14 AM
Austinite

Pollo Tropical closing 30 restaurants

Looks like the Pollo Tropical at this location is closing. We hardly knew ye...

http://keyetv.com/news/local/pollo-t...30-restaurants

Quote:
Pollo Tropical closing 30 restaurants

The Fiesta Restaurant Group will close 30 Pollo Tropical restaurants in Texas, Georgia and Tennessee.

Back in October, Pollo Tropical closed 10 of its then 209 locations, most of those in Texas.

On Monday, Dallas-based Fiesta said it was closing all Pollo Tropical locations in Dallas-Fort Worth, Austin and Nashville. Fiesta said it would continue to operated 19 Pollo Tropical restaurants outside its original market of Florida, including 13 in Atlanta and six in Texas.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2017, 12:46 AM

They went from rapid expansion plans to a rapid contraction. The Taco PUD is still alive!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin