HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jan 6, 2015, 5:46 AM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:

ARTivity on the Green:
This is one of the designers. I think he designed the stage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yes!
Matthew Cunningham seems to view the world through a lens of constant deconstruction. As a concept developer and industrial designer, Cunningham creates the digital landscapes and 3D rendered visuals you see in feature films and that car companies use for future automobile concepts. He worked on a variety of projects for major car companies, notably BMW’s recently debuted “I” program, as well as case studies for projects that are not set for release until 2020. In 2011, Cunningham worked with Paramount Pictures to conceptualize and design certain vehicles for the film G.I. Joe: Retaliation (2013). His work has also been featured in other films such as Source Code, and an upcoming Steven Spielberg film, Robopocalypse. Cunningham is currently working with a handpicked team of developers on a pitch project for Toyota that isn’t set for manufacturing until 2025. He recently launched a brand, Autoclave LLC. that will be handling the project. The brunt of his work, though, is handled through his company, Cunningham Industrial Design, which is based out of Winston-Salem. As a member of Winston-Salem’s AFAS, he is currently working on the design elements of a proposed arch that will be constructed in downtown Winston-Salem. “There are certain constraints you have to work within on projects like that,” he said. “Budget constraints, time, materials, and then approval.”
1814 Salt-Flax House:
The siding is up and the restoration of this 201-year-old house is almost complete!

Credit: Wilson-Covington Construction

500 West Fifth Street:
A company has recently (around two weeks ago?) completed due diligence on the 21-storey 500 West Fifth Street Building. This likely tells us a major announcement is coming soon? I'm excited to see who the developer is and what their plans are! Yes, it will likely become apartments and retail. If it does become apartments and retail, this will become Winston-Salem's tallest residential tower at 21-storeys and 330 feet tall (101 meters tall)!

Wake Forest School of Medicine:
Workers removed more windows from the west side of the downtown medical school.

Credit: David Norman

A look inside from Urban Mez:

Credit: Urban Mez

This view includes part of the downtown medical school's courtyard!

Credit: Pete Fala

Our favorite Fifth Street Canyon View of the university's medical school:

Credit: David Norman

Looking toward the courtyard demolition from inside the downtown medical school!

Civic Plaza / Merschel Plaza:
We finally have an update on this project! Mayor Joines has said he is an advocate for constructing underground parking below this proposed park. He also said it's an important project that must be built as soon as possible, which is great to hear! They are waiting to see the Pepper Building's final plans, before moving forward with the park. The Pepper Building is currently in the interior demolition phase.

Pepper Building Apartments & Retail:
Did someone say Pepper Building? This is a better view of the interior demolition from the awesome photographer Urban Mez.

Hilltop House South: Built

Credit: Zach Cardell

The Edge Flats Twin Towers:
The first of the two Edge Flats towers is completed, with residents moving-in! We will continue to follow construction on the second tower. If you're interested in leasing: (336) 283-8660

Placemaking & Fun:

525@Vine:
The diagram for 525@Vine is finally updated!

Festival Stage:
Festival Stage announced it is working on an original play competition/festival: New Plays for a New Age.

Custom Bicycle:

Credit: Centennial Trading Co.

History Marker - Salem Cotton Mill (1836) and Arista Mill (1880):

Credit: Glenna

Women Power Movers:
Susan Cameron is in Fortune Magazine's top 10 list of Women Power Movers for 2014. The list is a ranking of the most influential female corporate executives.

Photo of the week:
I love this classic view of Winston-Salem's "soon to be" third tallest apartment tower.

Credit: Jeremy Witteveen

To all of the regular readers of this thread: Have a Happy New Year!

Last edited by Matthew; Jan 6, 2015 at 6:07 AM.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2015, 6:17 AM
Fourth and Main

We have a massive update this week!

Projects & Construction:

Whitaker Park Adaptive Reuse: New to This Thread!
The 1.7 million square foot Whitaker Park Complex is Winston-Salem's next adaptive reuse project! There aren't many details at this time, but it is exciting to see this news and economic development officials are involved, which has many of us asking if a major employer is interested in this building? They seem to need at least part of it now? The mayor is also saying this project will bring possibly up to 15,000 new jobs to the city? This is expected to become a massive mixed-use project. The Urban Land Institute has already completed the study of how to move forward with this project. Yes, it will include retail and residential too. I think this is expected to fill with biotech companies? Several of the buildings are already labs and technology centers.

Whitaker Park was designed in 1958 by Odell Associates and was an awesome example of Mid-Century Modernism. It cost $32 million to build ($254 million in today's dollars). Visitors remember it for the museum, which was a big tourist attraction for decades. Many locals remember it best for the massive animated fountains. ...of course I have photographs of this!

Fountains on August 3, 1961:
http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townn...jpg?resize=960
Credit: Charles E. Talton / JournalNow

Yes, that is a stream with fountains and bridges inside the building!
Credit: JournalNow

Kimpton Hotel & Apartments:
We have another update on the Kimpton Hotel; this time from the General Contractor. The upscale hotel and restaurant will open in September 2015. The luxury apartments will open in June 2016. The apartments "could" rent for around $1,500 a month? The apartment rent could change between now and then.

This is the same developer and the same architects working on Pittsburgh's Hotel Monaco. Pittsburgh's Strada Architects is doing most of the design work. Several articles in trade publications have said this would be a Hotel Monaco too, likely due to this team's past projects. However, Kimpton Hotels & Restaurants has declined to share the name with us, leading us (Winston-Salem development followers) to believe it may have its own unique brand? This is why I stopped calling it Monaco and now call it just Kimpton Hotel & Apartments. The design they selected for the rooms has a Hotel Palomar appearance, so if they go with one of their two signature brand names, it will likely be the more upper-end Palomar brand? Palomar is Kimpton's flagship brand (designed to compete with the Four Seasons, according to Kimpton) and, if that is their choice, it was likely selected due to the gold, silver, marble and famous architecture firm and interior designer of the original building. Palomars also have luxury apartments or condos with hotel amenities on their upper floors. I still want to see a unique name though and avoid the Monaco and Palomar chain brands.

Credit: Jordan Green

Model Room Under Construction. You can see it has more of a Hotel Palomar appearance:

When looking at the lobby of this building, I often think of this song.

Video Link

Salem College Apartments:
Our first update on this project! It's awesome to see college dorms under construction downtown!

Credit: Salem College

Are you ready to visit something in the Pepper Building? I know I am! Chelsee's Coffee Shop will open on the ground floor of the Pepper Building in mid-February. Yes, the middle of next month! I also have an update direct from developer Mike Coe himself! According to Mike Coe, the Pepper Building will have Chelsee's Coffee Shop, Cowboy Brazilian Steakhouse, The Sir Winston will return as a Speakeasy / Jazz Club, and 53 apartments on the upper floors, with a gym and a dry & wet sauna! Have they restored the ground-level to the point they can open the restaurant and music club tenants? Wow! Someone please photograph the storefront level for us. I know they cleared that part of the building early. Mike Coe also loves to name things after himself. It appears as if he will name the apartments after himself, as the Coe-Pepper Apartments in the Pepper Building. As long as the building's name remains the Pepper Building, I won't complain. I don't think you could change the name of the Pepper Building. Even if you did, people would continue to call it the Pepper Building, as they have since the 1930s.

Chatham Mill Office Space & Apartments:
Our first look at this mixed-use adaptive reuse project as well!

Credit: 1st_class_

Home Prices Increase:
According to CoreLogic, the increase in home prices in Winston-Salem is second only to Raleigh in the state. Winston-Salem is becoming a more expensive city to buy a house in. The Winston-Salem Regional Association of Realtors reports home prices are up around 21%, as the city's popularity as a great place to live continues to grow.

Bailey Power Plant:
According to U.S. Bank, BioMed Realty and their subsidiaries must complete the power plant entertainment center project by December 2016. I think we should see construction updates on this project by the Spring?

Proposed Boardwalk at Bailey Power Plant, to be lined with retail/restaurants, on former elevated railroad line:

Credit: beersngears

Beers n' Gears has to be the best user name I've found since I started this thread!

I'm actually very excited about the Boardwalk, which will be elevated above an outdoor market and a skate park in the summer and an ice skating rink in the winter. It sounds awesome!

Hong Kong Aircraft Engineering Co. Interiors Division:
HAECO Americas will close their Los Angeles-based Brice Manufacturing division and merge those operations into their Winston-Salem area facility. 61 employees will receive transfer offers to move to the Winston-Salem area from California. Maybe this will help accelerate the massive mixed-use expansion HAECO Americas has planned? It's a project that could dramatically transform Winston-Salem's Union Cross area. HAECO Americas expects the number of jobs at their Winston-Salem area facility to double very soon!

Herbalife Building:
I thought this was already built, but according to news reports, the official grand opening is January 16. The 800,000 square foot building houses "part" of the headquarters operations, which relocated to Winston-Salem from Los Angeles; International logistics; and research labs. Next week, I can officially show this as built and maybe we will have additional images of the completed $100 million adaptive reuse project!

Credit: TBJ / Herbalife

A great interior photograph of the university's downtown medical school adaptive reuse project, by UrbanMez.

Credit: UrbanMez

Piedmont Triad Partnership:
The Piedmont Triad Partnership is now led by Winston-Salem's very own Stan Kelly. Mr. Kelly has worked hard over the years to make Winston-Salem a great place to live. One project he plans to help with is the Whitaker Park Adaptive Reuse Project (see paragraph on it above). I'm sure he will also have a major impact on downtown's IQ District.

Edge Flats Apartments Tower One: Built!
Tower One is now open and leasing. You can move-in today! This is near the proposed Publix grocery store with the parking deck under it. It's just a short ride away on your cargo bike! If you're interested in leasing at The Edge, call: (336) 283-8660

Credit: Edge Flats

Semans Arts Library: Built?
I think construction is finally completed on this library, which houses one of the world's top three largest film collections, along with other art related library offerings. I will wait another week for an official grand opening and if I don't see one, I'll remove it from our construction list. It does appear as if it's built right now and open!

Credit: Andrew Dye

National Center for Design Innovation:
This building is almost completed!

Credit: UNCSA

ARTivity on the Green:
We are seeing weekly updates on this arts park project! I really want to see the water feature under construction!

Credit: Trade Street Tracker

Built or Construction?
Do you know if Plant 64 and Link Apartments are built? They are expected to be completed at any time. I want to keep our list of construction up-to-date.

Transportation Infrastructure:

Rail Transit Update:
As Winston-Salem begins funding the $18 million hub of its proposed rail transit system, this quote appears: Assistant City Manager Greg Turner said. "What we would like to see is commuter rail, inter-city rail and high-speed rail." He also talked about the city anticipating the streetcar. There was discussion on changes (Republicans) at the state and federal level and the city expects this to delay funding for all rail projects statewide, but these projects in Winston-Salem are all still moving forward. The city wants a federal grant to help with the next step of the streetcar project and that is delaying it right now. It's interesting to see Winston-Salem wanting a complete rail transit system. Not just Streetcars, but Commuter Rail and HSR too! We should have a lot of great transportation projects to follow in this thread in the near future. We've already seen renderings of the Commuter Rail project a few weeks ago and the streetcars are nearing their final steps before construction begins.

Placemaking & Fun:

Fox Sports Announcer Moves to Winston-Salem:
Be sure to welcome Fox Sports announcer Mike Joy to Winston-Salem. He recently bought a nearly $2 million home in Winston-Salem's wine country, near Medaloni Cellars Vineyards, just a short distance from the Yadkin River. He is moving to Winston-Salem from the Lake Norman area. People from across the state are attracted to the beauty of Winston-Salem's Yadkin Valley Wine Country. It will be interesting to see if he starts his own vineyard and bottles wine. That is the best part of Forsyth County for a vineyard.

We are seeing more and more people from TV moving to Winston-Salem. At least three in the past six months. It wasn't too long ago that we welcomed MSNBC's Melissa Harris-Perry to Winston-Salem's historic Washington Park Neighborhood.

Good Food Awards:
Downtown Winston-Salem's Black Mountain Chocolate won the 2015 Good Food Award for best Chocolate. Congratulations! Be sure to visit Black Mountain Chocolate on North Trade Street. You can actually see the products being made there too, in their visible factory.

Winston-Salem Hotel Built in 1844:

Credit: John Pierce

This hotel, on the 800 block of Main Street, was on the cover of Better Homes and Gardens, in Southern Living Magazine, and on a number of history and decorating TV shows. It was built as a hotel in 1844 and has operated as a hotel since that time. Is this the oldest continuously operating hotel in Winston-Salem?

Last edited by Matthew; Jan 29, 2017 at 5:39 AM.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2015, 3:46 AM

Awesome update! It'll be interesting to see what happens with the old Reynolds plant. I read somewhere that there may be some road updating/adjusting to make for easier access to I-74/US 52 and the northern beltway under construction.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2015, 5:55 PM

Always nice to see new projects break ground and I'm sure many will shed a tear when the Pepper Building is alive again. That's a day everyone is waiting to see. I hope the Artivity Park can attract more residential and more galleries. The Arts District can use a few more. Thanks you for the weekly updates.

Fourth Street News.

Wow, time flies. Foothills has been with us for 10 years!

They'll be celebrating with 16 parties at 16 breweries up the East Coast. The grand finale will be at they're new tasting room in Winston-Salem this Spring!

photo of Tasting Room under construction:

A Travel Channel web series sees Foothills Brewery as one of the best craft breweries in America. Winston-Salem shares the list with Cleveland, Nashville, Chicago, Tampa, Atlanta and more.

Watch the video below:
http://www.travelchannel.com/interes...raft-breweries

Little by little, certain aspects of the city is starting to identify more with the foothill region than the piedmont. I'm with that

Grand opening for Quanto Basta is March 5, 2015

https://www.facebook.com/quantobastaNC

Distilling has finally begun at Broadbranch Distillery on Trade St! I have no idea when it plans to open.

image from:
https://scontent-a-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/...a9&oe=552E12E9

New and improved logo for the Winston-Salem Cycling Classic!

Baity Street Mixed-Use;

The city released an early rendering of what could become of land near LJVM Coliseum and BB&T Field. This rendering is a part of an updated North Central Area Plan that the city plans to adopt next month.

cityofws.org

They recommend an exciting year round vibrant mixed-use community that students, fans and citizens can enjoy. This and neighboring Whitaker Park redevelopment can really make this area special.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2015, 7:52 AM

Great update and awesome projects!

Old Posted Jan 20, 2015, 6:25 AM
Fourth and Main

I remember visiting and taking photographs of the Foothills Downtown Brewery construction site, around 10 years ago. It would be interesting to find them. I will admit to forgetting to check for updates at their latest construction site. There is so much to follow right now and that is good thing!

I may have to add the "Wake Forest University Mixed-use Entertainment Complex" to our list of projects?

Projects & Construction:

Arcade Building:
Wait... is this building still under construction? Was it labeled as "Built" too soon? Maybe so? I saw Fourth and Trade home furnishings store as open and wrongly guessed the entire building was completed. This would explain why we didn't have images of the other floors or bar or other arts related attractions.

What is the latest update on the Arcade Building? New Windows!

It appears as if only one floor is completed and open?

The bar is now open, if you would like to visit the wine & beer bar:

Credit: John Raines

I wish the building owner would hire Wilson-Covington to replace the cornice with a more accurate replica. The cornice added to this building a few years ago doesn't look right and should be replaced with something accurate, while they have a great restoration contractor working on the building. Wilson-Covington can do it right!

Union Station Transportation Hub:
This project should begin construction this week, so I will move it to the construction list! It appears as if the project will have a restaurant, train/transportation museum, local bus waiting area & ticket windows, regional transit authority ticket windows and waiting area, and will be designed for future Amtrack rail service. This is expected to be a full restoration to the original appearance. The lower two floors will be used as offices. Originally, the first floor was a mail floor and the second floor was offices for the four railroads that built Union Station. The third floor is the original ticket window and waiting area. The architect said the restoration plans are designed to add a building to the west of Union Station. In past renderings, this new building was shown as a new highrise condo tower with retail (TOD). I guess we will see what happens there? Winston-Salem is serious about having residential, retail, and office space developed around its transit stations/stops.

Union Station was designed by Fellheimer and Wagner in the Beaux-Arts style. When it was built, in 1926, it was the largest train station in the state for the state's largest and richest city. I think it's still the state's tallest train station? The restoration of this building will likely attract many train lovers to Winston-Salem to photograph it. That would be good news for this thread!

http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townn...pg?resize=1024
Credit: David Rolfe / JournalNow

http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townn...jpg?resize=800

ARTivity on the Green:
Thank you to AFAS Group for providing weekly updates! We are all very excited about this project!

Credit: AFAS

Credit: AFAS

Aerial View:

Credit: Chris Kimball

An older photograph, but still interesting! Eva Leonard is a travel writer & editor who travels to find the best reuses of historic buildings. She visited Winston-Salem to see the Kimpton Hotel project.

Credit: Retro Questing

Plant 64 Apartments & Retail: Built!
This adaptive reuse of a 1916 industrial complex is now completed! It contains nearly 250 apartments and around 10,000 square feet of retail space. Philadelphia-based Pennrose worked with former NFL player (Detroit Lions) Chris Harrison to build what has to be the best apartments in downtown Winston-Salem. The best amenities in a good location at a good price. If you're interested in a downtown apartment, be sure to visit Plant 64: Call (336) 793-2282

Credit: Timmons Group

This water tower lights-up on the skyline at night:

Credit: Timmons Group

Credit: Pennrose Development

The university's downtown medical school has made great progress in its adaptive reuse project! Did You Know: The building was originally constructed in 1923 and was expanded in 1928. It did have an older 5-storey building in the center (guessing from around 1890-1910?), but that building was demolished around 1979 or 1980?

Credit: BioMed Realty

Credit: Flywheel

UrbanMez posted more views of the inside from last month. I want to thank him for sharing these. This is a view of history. I'm guessing most of this will be taken to the recyclers or trashed.

Herbalife Building: Built!
This $100 million adaptive reuse of an 800,000 square foot building is now completed. Below is a look at scientists in Herbalife's new Winston-Salem building. They selected Winston-Salem due to how welcoming the city and its business community are. They also like how much easier it is to work with Winston-Salem, compared to other cities. If you're looking for a job: This company will hire 150 additional workers in the next few months. Herbalife also expects to grow by 25% by 2017 and create possibly another 150 jobs next year?

Edge Flats:
We finally see the view from these apartments. You can see a 17-storey skyscraper across the street, along with several other medical and research institute highrises.

Placemaking & Fun:

Top 30 Cities for STEM Jobs:
Winston-Salem made Wallet Hub's top 30 list of best cities to find STEM jobs. It is true! If you're looking for a job in Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics, Winston-Salem is a great city to move to.

1836 Brookstown Inn:
Winston-Salem's historic Brookstown Inn is on the cover of Carolina Weddings Magazine for Spring/Summer (the peak of wedding season!). The Brookstown Inn was built in 1836! Yes, it is 179 years old! Winston-Salem is awesome! #brick

Credit: Carolina Weddings

Last edited by Matthew; Jan 29, 2017 at 5:41 AM.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2015, 12:36 AM

The National Olympic Cycling Center is under construction at 505 N. Liberty St in downtown.

https://www.facebook.com/lambertarchitecture?fref=nf

Old Pepsi ad was discovered during interior demolition.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2015, 6:20 AM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:

50 West Fourth Apartments & Retail:
A rare view of this adaptive reuse project. According to Brandon, it's almost completed! This photograph shows some of the building's details. Yes, it was originally a courthouse at one time.

Credit: Brandon Carpenter

(MESDA) Museum of Early Southern Decorative Arts Renovation: New to This Thread!
This Winston-Salem museum is currently undergoing an extensive renovation that will be completed by October. The museum will also expand with this renovation, adding a new master works gallery and other gallery spaces. I think this is worth adding to our list and following, since MESDA is a major nationally-known (in the decorative arts world) museum, frequently featured in national magazine articles, with a nationally respected collection it rotates and lends to other museums. This museum also has architectural antiques from the 1700s. They contacted the leading experts and spent 6-7 years researching how the renovate this museum, from period accurate paint to the best exhibit lighting. The Metropolitan Museum of Art also consulted on this museum renovation.

The museum's walls are actual walls from 200+ year old houses from around the southeast. You couldn't build a museum like this today.
Credit: Bruce Chapman / JournalNow

This room (below) was originally in a colonial house in Charleston. The paint was restored to the original color through research.
http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townn...size=620%2C809
Credit: Bruce Chapman / JournalNow

These 200+ year old rooms were saved from demolition in the post-WWII "urban renewal" South. There are rooms from houses in 7 different states. I think most of the rooms are from North Carolina? So, don't scream in horror at this. This museum actually saved part of this region's history from the landfill! The museum houses the work of 127 different artistic trades, from the typical paintings you would see in a museum to silver, ceramics, furniture, textiles/fiber arts, and much more. You will find work from North Carolina, South Carolina, Maryland, Virginia, Georgia, Tennessee, and Kentucky artists. Part of what makes this museum unique in the South are these rooms taken from demolished or renovated colonial homes in the region. The works aren't displayed in glass cases. The works are displayed in actual historic rooms, from their home state, in the museum! Yes, it is open during the renovation, so be sure to visit!

Herbalife Building:
Yes, it was completed a week or two ago, but I found another great photograph of the completed building to share! This is being called an Innovation Center by Herbalife, which fits with the city's Arts & Innovation slogan. It was a $130 million adaptive reuse project.

Credit: Herbalife Spotlight

Workers at the university's future downtown medical school are currently removing the paint and damaged concrete from the surface, using hydro-blasting.

My favorite photographer, UrbanMez, has a great update on the downtown medical school, from last week!

You can see the water inside the building, from the hydro-blasting.

Yes, this former industrial building will become a Medical School in Summer 2016! It will look similar to the restored building in the background (image below).

#CityOfAdaptiveReuse

You can see where workers are renovating the skybridge between the renovated 525@Vine and the Medical School:

I wish they would clad the skybridges in glass, to show the beautiful steel work.

UrbanMez has more photographs of the building and descriptions in his albums. I want to thank him for sharing these.

ARTivity on the Green:
Doug Rice and AFAS Group provided an awesome update on downtown's newest art-themed park!

Credit: Doug Rice / AFAS Group

This is the mural wall's construction:

Big Winston Market:
Yes, it's built, but there is another tenant interested in space there. Look for "Big Winston Lounge" to open there.

Mullen Advertising Agency Adding Accounts and Jobs:
Mullen is moving accounts from Pittsburgh to downtown Winston-Salem, as they close their Pittsburgh office. They are also inviting employees working on those accounts to relocate to Winston-Salem.

A view from the top! The new building is designed to match the Victorian rowhouses across the street. Yes, you are looking down on historic rowhouses from the 1800s in the photograph below!

Credit: CJMW

Credit: Christina Mendenhall

120 West Third Building:
The State could bring administrative jobs to this downtown building, while the county discusses what to do with the building. If approved, the State would sign a short term lease for the office space and the lease could be terminated, if Forsyth County decided to move forward with a development offer. Developers are already contacting the county about buying the building, which was built for Winston-Salem Savings and Loan Association. The building is outdated, expensive to maintain, and is located across the street from a proposed park with underground parking, set to start construction later this year. It's also surrounded by apartments, condos, restaurants, and a proposed hotel. This is a very attractive location for a new office or residential development that could bring much higher tax revenue to the County.

Reynolda House Indoor Pool Restoration:
We haven't seen an update on this in a while. This project isn't officially on our main page construction list, but I've posted on it every time I've found an update. The house was designed in 1912 by famed Philadelphia architect Charles Barton Keen (1868-1931), who would later relocate from Philadelphia to downtown Winston-Salem (8 W. Third Building), due to the large number of projects here and the central location between projects in the Northeast and Florida. Charles Barton Keen designed homes for many of Philadelphia's wealthiest families along the Philadelphia Main Line. Northeast forum members who are fans of Keen's work should visit Winston-Salem. He planned neighborhoods in Winston-Salem like West Highlands and Buena Vista and designed everything from performing arts centers to mansions to shopping centers to churches to hospitals to art galleries to schools in Winston-Salem.

Credit: Reynolda

Neurology Center ICU Expansion:
Construction has started on this project's first phase. The first phase will move the Neurology ICU to Ardmore Tower and double its size. Frank L. Blum Construction is the General Contractor and construction should be completed by this fall. This is only a quarter of the work planned, so this should be a big project to follow.

U.S. Olympic Cycling Center:
The USOC is currently in discussions with the developer of this project and it is now moving forward. This adaptive reuse project is fully financed. It likely won't officially be named a USOC Center until it's completed, inspected, and can be fully approved as a finished project. Then developers can install the massive "five rings" Olympic logo on the downtown building's facade. The building will have apartments, allowing U.S. Olympic cyclists and coaches to live downtown at the Cycling Center. USA Cycling will select those cyclists for the apartments. The building will also include indoor training equipment and a sports nutrition program. As you can see in the renderings (previous post), it does include a two-storey "Health Food" grocery store with cafe, that is open to downtown residents. I'm excited to see what this grocery store is. The cyclists who will train in this building are road cyclists, mountain bikers, and cyclocross. Very exciting! I think I also read anyone can use the training center? It's also exciting to have bike routes, around the city, that Team USA will use to train! I may have to bring my bike on my next visit!

Placemaking & Fun:

Movable Literature Feast:
Did you know downtown Winston-Salem has events allowing you meet authors from across the country? One of these events for book lovers was Sunday at downtown's Biotech Place Building. You could meet a different author every 10 minutes, as the 21 authors move to different tables during the event. Each table had 8 book lovers waiting to meet a new author. It was a chance for authors to introduce their work and for readers to discover new material. Jamie Southern said “Our mission is to connect readers with writers, so we like this because it’s more intimate where the attendees get to actually talk to the authors and learn more about them and learn more about their writing.” Every 10 minutes, the author shares a brief synopsis of his or her book with a new set of people and answers questions.

# Keep Winston-Salem Weird and Nerdy!

Winston-Salem's Pop Festival:
You know "Festival Season" is almost here, when you see these posts! Winston-Salem's annual free "Pop Festival" will be held March 27, 28, and 29 on downtown stages and at downtown music clubs. Hear everything from Folk to R&B and Hip-Hop. Yes, I said FREE! If you attend any after parties, they cost money, but the concerts are free! The festival will feature 50 local and national acts. We should know what bands are performing, as spring festival season nears. They will also have a mobile app. This festival is organized and operated by people aged 21-22 years old, so expect to hear younger music acts.

Camel City Elite:
See the fastest college track stars and several Olympians at the Camel City Elite Track Meet on January 30-31. There are Olympic record holders in this event! Craig Longhurst said "The quality of the field makes it one of best indoor meets on the east coast." Some of the athletes at this event are currently ranked among the top 5 best in the world! They are expecting records to be broken in Winston-Salem!

Photographs of the Week!

Credit: Ashley Turner

Credit: Beers n' Gears

The building above was completed in 1849! Yes, it is 166 years old and has 29 apartments. When it was new, the building was used as a retail store, with two floors of residences. Talbot Hamlin, an expert on American Greek Revival architecture, said: It is one of the most original Greek Revival structures in the nation! It is seen as an important example of the style. In addition to this building, Belo also owned an iron works and started a railroad company. All of the building's iron work, including the hitching posts and the large cast iron animals on the steps, were cast in Belo's iron works. Interesting Fact for Texans: The house the Dallas Bar Association is located in was based on the design of this building.

Last edited by Matthew; Jan 29, 2017 at 5:42 AM.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2015, 6:36 AM
Fourth and Main

Happy Groundhog Day library day! We have library updates.

Projects & Construction:

Semans Arts Library:
I removed this from our construction list too early! This project is still under construction. It's expected to open in May 2015. Yes, it will be open to the public. The audio-visual equipment equipment is currently being installed.

http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townn...pg?resize=1000
Credit: Andrew Dye - JournalNow

Central Library:
The Winston-Salem / Forsyth County Library has shared the plans for their space. Most of these are new views we haven't seen!

Credit: Winston-Salem / Forsyth County Library

According to the TBJ, the latest the hotel could open is December. We've seen a quote from the general contractor in another newspaper that said it could open in September at the earliest. The architect will submit plans for the luxury apartments with hotel amenities sometime this month.

I love this Art Deco artwork of the building's massing on both sides of the Fourth Street name plate:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmhpmi @ WSTB
Compare this image of the building below to the Art Deco massing artwork above:

Credit: STITCH Design Shop

Details like these helped to make Shreve Lamb & Harmon awesome architects!

rmhpmi shared an awesome update at WSTB on Wake Forest University's new downtown medical school.

Quote:

Credit: Miller Taylor

501 West Fourth Street:
Our first look at this property. This was the former Security Life & Trust Company Headquarters, built in 1951. This building will likely be reclad as part of an adaptive reuse project, but we are still waiting on the official announcement to know what the exact plans are.

Credit: Barks110

New Building at Alliance Science & Technology Park: New to this Thread!
Carolina Investment Properties is working with Winston-Salem Business Inc., to prepare a site in Winston-Salem's Alliance Science & Technology Park to attract another major employer to the city. It is possible to build a nearly 1 million square foot building on this site. This site is State Certified and certified by Duke Energy's Site Readiness Program. It is located at Interstate 74, near Herbalife, Caterpillar, Ralph Lauren, and Hong Kong Aircraft Engineering Co., just to name a few of the site's neighbors. It's also near Interstate 40 (I-40 and I-74 intersect in this area). Carolina Investment Properties will grade the site soon, so it will be ready-to-go for a major employer in a high-tech, high-innovation sector. This area has developed into a major employment corridor for Winston-Salem in the past ten years. It includes several internationally known companies and a few headquarters. Many of these buildings are 800,000 to 1.2 million square feet in size too! The location is very attractive, since it is at the exact center of the famed Piedmont Urban Crescent Megalopolis and the exact center of the Triad region.

Edge Flats Tower Two:
The cladding is being installed right now!

403@Vine Office Building:
This 115,000 square foot downtown office building for research and technology companies, with ground floor retail, should be hydro-blasted very soon. Call Will Partin at (336) 713-1336 if you're interested in leasing. Tenant move-in (completion) is scheduled for Summer 2016.

Quote:
BioMed Realty's Innovation Network Summit:
BioMed Realty Trust held their Innovation Network Summit in downtown Winston-Salem's IQ District. The event featured BioMed Realty, Bruce Kats, Quorum, Venture Cafe, Wexford Science + Technology, and the Cambridge Innovation Center, along with innovation district leaders from across the country. It appears to be a national meeting for developers, universities, and innovation district leaders. I'm still searching to see if anything (new proposals or construction in the IQ) was announced at this event. Placemaking was a topic discussed. As you know, this part of downtown Winston-Salem always has multiple projects under construction and new projects are usually announced at large meetings. It appears as if the event was held in the Biotech Place Conference Center and Flywheel.

Bruce Kats - Brookings Institute (Rise of Innovation Districts)

Bruce Kats in Downtown Winston-Salem's Biotech Place

Timothy Rowe - CEO at Cambridge Innovation Center (CIC)

525@Vine

Film Production Design Center:
Architect Deborah Berke & Partners' new film production building is expected to open in about two weeks. Something I didn't know: The building's facade is designed to create different film shooting backgrounds.

ARTivity on the Green:
According to AFAS Group, the park's changing mural wall is almost ready for paint. The architects (STITCH Design Shop) are calling the smokestack water feature "The Tower Cloud" and spoke as if it could be installed possibly this week or next week! I really want to see that.

Credit: Doug Rice - AFAS Group

Winston-Salem Region VA Hospital:
The VA project will be completed in December 2015. Another medical-related tenant has leased a proposed building next to the hospital.

Bailey Park @ East End:
The architect, STITCH Design Shop, provided an update on this project. The park should open in April.

A view of the Food Truck Courtyard:

Centennial Trading Co., Manufacturing Center:
A hipster clothing company must have retro gold lettering on the doors! It looks original too! I love it!

Credit: Centennial Trade Co.

Credit: Centennial Trade Co.

Placemaking & Fun:

I'm behind on the events:
I just realized I didn't post the Triad Music Festival in downtown Winston-Salem. It was a week ago! Winston-Salem has too many large events & festivals to keep track of.

Interesting Downtown Art:
Have you seen these "science themed" artworks downtown? The exhibit is free to all pedestrians!

Credit: Jeff Smith

Software Conference:
Winston-Salem's annual Triad Software Developers Conference will be held February 21, at 525@Vine in downtown's IQ District. Register online and save $30. If you attend, please take photographs of the nearby construction for our thread!

Keep Winston-Salem Weird and Nerdy!

Interesting Downtown Photographs:

5th Street:

12th Street:

Credit: Beers n' Gears

4th Street:

Credit: Barks110

Bicycle Tourism?
Did you know: Cycling is the number one sports attraction for Winston-Salem, according to area hotels and the TDA. 31% of the hotel rooms booked in Winston-Salem by sports fans are booked by people visiting for cycling related events. This is why Winston-Salem hosts major USA Cycling events and is building a U.S. Olympic Training Facility for cyclists. This city has the terrain and beautiful scenery cyclists love and cycling events here always attract large crowds. I'm impressed! Next time you visit Winston-Salem, be sure to bring your bicycle!

Last edited by Matthew; Jan 29, 2017 at 5:44 AM.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2015, 12:16 AM

People look over the beautiful embellishments of the old courthouse. It truly is a beautiful little structure.

ARTivity Park update. The mist from the "smokestacks" being tested already.

https://www.facebook.com/artforartssakews

Old Posted Feb 10, 2015, 6:36 AM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:

760 West Fourth:
This downtown highrise project is now moving forward and has a date it must be completed by! A forum member (dtws) at WSTB reported the developer is buying the Center City West Parking Deck, from the City of Winston-Salem, to use for parking. The deal requires the new skyscraper to be completed before February 2019 and requires mixed-use. Another WSTB forum member, who works for the general contractor, said this is now a 14-storey tower. Add the mechanical floor and it is expected to reach 15-storeys in height! It's expected to be office, apartments, and retail.

Earth Fare (health food store) Opening Downtown? New to this Thread!
A source told me the health food grocery store, opening in the Olympic Cycling Center on Liberty Street, could be Earth Fare. It seems to be a perfect fit, but we shall file this under rumor, until I see something more official. The source used the word "probably" instead of "it is" in her response. If it is Earth Fare, they would need both of the storefront floors. I've heard talk of developers wanting to open a downtown grocery store in The Village District, Arts District (this proposal), and IQ District. Nothing appears official right now though.

https://www.earthfare.com

B/E Aerospace Engineering Development Lab:
This project should be completed in a few weeks. The architects provided us with an update!

Acceleration test sled with video monitoring and lighting system: (Aerospace engineers have the coolest toys!)

Credit: West & Stem

2 in 1 Construction Photograph: Wake Forest University Medical School construction on the left and 403@Vine Office Building construction on the right: (3 in 1 if you count Bailey Park construction)

Credit: North Carolina Great Places

Credit: vanherdehaage

Mast General Store:
A forum member at WSTB shared an awesome update. If you're a member of WSTB, be sure to thank this photographer! He also has a link to more images there, which include a vintage safe, an old Coca-Cola cooler, the main entrance, display cases, sales counters, the walkway, and more. We should see another update on this project next week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamCityFan @ WSTB

Grand Staircase:

Tilework at the Main Entrance Doors:

Lower Sales Floor and Display Cases:
Bailey Park @ East End:

Central Library:
Workers are completing soil testing, as the interior is cleared-out for further work by the demolition company. 80% of the building's furniture, fixtures, and equipment will be sold to the public. I see plywood over the larger windows of the building to be demolished. The 1970s building will be gutted, reclad, and added-on to. See previous post for renderings. Did you know: Employees of the library have used markers to leave messages on the walls of the older Art Moderne building that will be demolished. The fun part of this project should start in the Spring.

You can see the employees' messages on the walls of the Art Moderne building to be demolished:
http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townn...pg?resize=1000
Credit: Bruce Chapman - JournalNow

Winston-Salem Growth:
The Urban Institute has projected that Winston-Salem will be fastest growing metro area in the Triad.

ARTivity on the Green:
The cloud making machine is now installed and operating. Yes, downtown Winston-Salem has a machine that makes clouds and rainbows! We should call it "The Awesome Machine!"

Installing the mist system in the tallest riser:

Lowering risers into place:

Holes in the risers spray mist to create clouds and rainbows:

Credit: Colin Gibbons

Credit: W. Danny Khounsavanh

It's the tall and narrow tower (core) on the far right.

Credit: Erin Hylton

525@Vine:
A new tenant, in the advertising industry, has signed a lease and now this building is around 95% leased.

\
Credit: North Carolina Great Places

Photographs of the Week:

This wine bar recently celebrated 10 years at this location!

These postcards are at downtown's new Camel City Bookstore. I want all of them!

Credit: Camel.City

I love this bike rack:

Credit: Katie Skinner

Last edited by Matthew; Jan 29, 2017 at 5:45 AM.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2015, 7:16 AM

W-S's new D1 training facility.

Hunter Myatt, director of marketing for D1, declined to provide details on the Winston-Salem D1 location, saying the project is still in the planning stages. But Myatt said the location is expected to be "something completely different" from other D1 locations.

It is something that I think is pretty exciting for that area and the city as a whole," Gilbert said

I can't wait to hear what they have planned. Could it have a cycling component?

http://sportsmedproperties.com/development-portfolio/

Quanto Basta on 4th street getting close to opening!

https://www.facebook.com/downtownWS

Old Posted Feb 18, 2015, 5:44 AM
Fourth and Main

ARTivity on the Green:
Construction work on the rainbow and cloud machine.

Look to the left of the music venue:

Credit: The Garage

The Lofts by BSC: New to this Thread!
BSC Holdings is planning a next phase for this HMB Corridor project. It will include 170 apartments. This is a massive development, with retail, office, and residential, with the number of apartments reaching into the hundreds? I think 400+? The architect is Erskine-Smith... the architecture looks bland. Since this is across the street from the hotel I like to stay at, I'll take a few photographs... if I make a return visit during construction.

D1 Sports Training Facility: New to this Thread! #CityOfAdaptiveReuse
This is a multi-million-dollar adaptive reuse of a massive old warehouse. It's described as a very big deal by the Business Journal, which explains why it's on this thread. I'm not very familiar with D1 and will need to learn more about them and this project to know if it's worth following. Since this is some type of special project for D1 and different from their usual training centers, it could be top secret and we may not find any photography to really follow this? These training facilities are owned by local major league sports stars in their communities. Yes, D1 is describing this as a unique and major project for them, but no details are provided at this time. I am thinking we should add it to our list and try to follow it? AM King is the General Contractor. No details on the architect.

http://www.d1sportstraining.com

Owner Athletes: http://www.d1sportstraining.com/athletes/main

Lillybee Office: Built!
This 4,500 square foot renovation project is now completed. Lillybee is a designer boot company for women. You can see some of their boots in the windows. Their products are found in upscale boutiques.

Credit: Linville Team

The coffee shop will open soon and it changed its name to The Pepper Mill Coffee Shop. Great name! Unfortunately, Coe didn't restore and use the original ceilings and Art Deco capitals in this small retail space. He also didn't use the transom windows or the original terrazzo floor in this space, but I guess that is expected, with this coffee shop opening so quickly. It's awesome to have something opening soon in this building, after so many years of abandonment. I think he was in a rush to reopen this coffee shop, which had to relocate? That may explain why he didn't restore the space's nice architectural details? The apartments, Brazilian steakhouse and speakeasy are still under construction and likely won't open until 2016?

Credit: Pepper Mill Coffee Shop

Workers removed glass on these two windows?

Credit: Charlie McCurry

Think of what the views will be like, when this hotel is completed!

Credit: Nathan Richards

An update from rmhpmi at WSTB on this university's downtown medical school. In addition to the downtown medical school, you can also see the 403@Vine Office Building in the first photograph! I will only post a few images from his update. Notice the markings on the concrete. This is where repairs are needed. rmhpmi has twice as many photographs in his post at WSTB. Be sure to visit that post and thank him for the update!

Quote:

Wake Forest School of Medicine to the left and 403@Vine Office Building to the right:

UNC School of the Arts Art Tower: New to this Thread!
This art tower at Bailey Park @ East End will feature art work from the university's students.

Whitaker Park Adaptive Reuse:
The Whitaker Park Development Authority is seeking $8 million from the city and county to provide sewer, water, power, and street improvements. The utilities are currently designed for one user and need to be separate for multiple users. The development authority will seek additional money from the NCDOT and other sources. It does appear as if employers are looking at the site! Mayor Allen Joines said “There are a number of potential users who are at various stages of looking.”

Credit: Dish Crawl

Credit: Jaclyn

Strong winds and snow flurries in the city on Saturday:

Credit: Tucker Tharpe

Mast General Store:
This is part of the floor in the new Mast General Store. This piece of flooring was re-purposed from a metal working factory. Shavings, over the course of time, became a part of the floor. This piece has been sanded several times and still shows its unique metal pattern.

Credit: Mast General Store

LJVM Entertainment District:
This will become a mixture of residential, retail, office, and institutional uses around Winston-Salem's coliseum and sports venues. The area will be pedestrian-friendly with buildings facing the street and an interior street and sidewalk network. The development could accommodate 100 or more residential units, around 50,000 square feet of retail space, and possibly some office space. Kenneth Basch said “We continue to envision this area as a vibrant mixed-use entertainment district.” He said a mixed-use district needs to appeal to a diverse audience, from students to the neighboring community, to be vibrant and sustainable. The plan could include a bike and walking path, connecting students to the sports venues and this entertainment district. The project could also include reduced parking at the coliseum to accommodate additional residential units. I fully support replacing some of the parking lots at the coliseum with apartments!

Yes, that is BB&T Field Football Stadium at the end of the street!
Credit: Marco Andrade / JournalNow

For Professional Tennis Fans: This is also where the ATP World Tour Winston-Salem Open is held!
Credit: Marco Andrade / JournalNow

760 West Fourth:
More news on the possible 15 storey mixed-use highrise. The developer has confirmed this building will be bigger than the last project, across the street. The rowhouses, beside this site, will be demolished for this building. The owners are selling and moving-out right now. City Council has delayed selling the parking deck for $2 million to the developer, to further study if the city really wants to sell it. If the city does sell it, it will have several restrictions. One of those restrictions is: 5% of the spaces must be available to the general public for 10 years. The $2 million would retire the parking deck's debt and cover all costs associated with selling it. I love seeing this 15-storey skyscraper in the news each week, making progress toward construction!

Rowhouses to be demolished for 15 storey skyscraper:

Credit: I took this photograph nearly 12 years ago!

Last edited by Matthew; Jan 29, 2017 at 5:47 AM.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2015, 11:46 PM

Great updates. I'm really excited about the development plans around the sports venues; there's lots of unused land around it and it's not great for a college game atmosphere when it's so separated from the campus and....well, anything else besides fair grounds, old strip malls, and an office park.

Sweet news about the 15 story building! Too bad those row houses have to go.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2015, 6:00 AM
Fourth and Main

I'm excited about the changes we could see to the skyline in the next two or three years! I don't have any details right now, but there is a chance we may have another highrise to follow on this thread! Look for an update on this, next week.

Projects & Construction:

New Courthouse: New to this Thread!
It appears as if the county and those at the courthouse are having discussions again about building a new courthouse. A plan to patch-over the current building was approved 6 years ago, but never happened. The current discussions are on the need for a new building. The county should've replaced the current building 20 years ago.

I love posting updates on the Pepper Building!

An early Sunday Morning view:

Central Library:
County Commissioners are considering increasing the budget for the new Central Library by 11%. This would allow for a much larger library with more amenities. If you support the expanded library, write to Kaplan and Martin and tell them you support spending more for a better library. Three of seven commissioners already support the increase. We just need one more commissioner to join them.

ARTivity on the Green:

This is a mock-up by the architects: (It appears to be a paint test?)

D1 Sports Training Center:
This project dates back to August 2014. Plans show multiple basketball courts and around 10,000 square feet of medical offices. The latest news: Interior demolition is now completed. The engineer is McVeigh & Mangum Engineering.

Look closely (lower left corner) and you'll see "50 West Fourth" was added above the entrance:

Credit: Marshall Ashworth

760 West Fourth:
The developer is now interested in buying additional city owned parking on Holly Avenue. John Reece said “if we were to build something larger than this (new Atlantic Capital Headquarters), say twice the size, we would need parking for that building. As well, we have to replace the parking that we’re currently using for this building. This has inspired us to try to do something larger there.” The developer said this will likely go before the finance committee next month, then move to council, and he could own the deck by April 30.

It appears as if the new college residence hall will rise 6 storeys above Main Street.

A look inside this adaptive reuse project. BioMed Realty is converting this old industrial building into office space for tech companies. This is all spec space by the world leader in tech office space development; which is a good sign for Winston-Salem's tech office space market! They wouldn't build on spec unless the downtown Winston-Salem market for tech office space was really strong!

Bailey Park @ East End:
The 34-storey Wells Fargo Center is reflected in the building's windows! All of the buildings in the IQ District have great window reflections.

Food Truck Courtyard:

Regional Tourist Attraction Park:
You voted for the bonds, so now we can follow one of the most exciting park projects in the city of Winston-Salem. Stimmel Associates was awarded a design contract for the 228 acre city park in the Flat Rock Neighborhood. The first phase of development will include an overlook over the water, amphitheatre, shelters, a boardwalk along the waterfront, and much more.

Alternative Transportation:

Rails-to-Trails / Bicycle Superhighway:
Work will begin on the section between Fogle Street and Martin Luther King Jr., Drive, in May.

Union Station Restoration & Streetcar Yard:
Walter Robbs was hired for the design work, including preparing bid and construction documents, at a cost of $846,500. We may not see any major work on this project until Spring 2016?

Cycling Improvements:
Attention all cyclists! Be sure to attend the open house on February 26 at the Old Salem Visitors Center. The event starts at 5 p.m.,. This is your chance to help shape the city's bicycle infrastructure. They won't have a formal presentation. This is an event to hear from you and allow you to help make the choices. Be sure to tell them you support using a concrete curb to separate the bike lanes from the car lanes.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2015, 4:55 AM

All images by TwinCity

Chatham Mills mixed-use 2-22

Artivity centerpiece against the skyline

701 North Liberty office/retail

More windows being added! Jon Kuhn severely altered this building for his studio. Hank Perkins looks to be delivering another anchor for the entertainment district.
before:

DWSP

Feb 22
(built in 1927)

Old Posted Mar 2, 2015, 4:50 PM

More from 2/22

Big Winston Market??
A list of tenants was put up at the corner of Trade Street and MLK Blvd and "Big Winston Market" was listed. Years ago there was a rumor that Big Winston would have an open market similar to Eastern Market in DC. We should know soon. About half the building is still under construction.

The day before I took this photo of the Olympic Cycling Center, workers were removing tons of old furniture that was stored on the ground floor. They were taking it to the Millennium Center across the street. Maybe they used it for storage?

Unfortunately, the facade of one Main Street's oldest buildings was taken down. It looked to be on the verge of collapse for a while. I dont know if the Olympic Center will rebuild on this space or use it for parking...

rear

More 4th St redevelopment near the IQ

Rails to Trails underway. Judging by the renderings, a bike trail will be built alongside the old rail tracks, Looks like they are removing half along this segment for the trail? I hope this old bridge isnt being fully demolished.

Vegetation being cleared.

WFU Medical School

Former Wingate hotel renovation/rebranding in the Government District

Kimpton Hotel/Courthouse Apartments/Pepper-Coe mixed-use

Salem College Lofts

Salem Creek Connector

Old Posted Mar 3, 2015, 6:41 AM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:

500 West Fifth Street:
Wakefield Beasley & Associates was hired to design a multi-building mixed-use development at this site. This is the same architect working on the Atlanta Braves new mixed-use development. Trammell Crow (possible developer of 500 West Fifth?) hired this architect for a similar project in Greenville too. In "possible" related news, someone appears to have made an offer for the Journal site beside the 500 West Fifth site? This is one of the most exciting projects we are following right now! It will include both new construction buildings on the skyline and adaptive reuse of an existing building or two. This site has two former insurance buildings (1980 Integon Life Headquarters and 1951 Security Life & Trust Headquarters) The project could include a hotel, office space, retail, and residential.

Former 21-storey Integon Life Insurance Headquarters, by Welton Becket & Associates, to be Converted to Apartments in Mixed-use Proposal:

Credit: ClearSky

Wake Forest School of Medicine & 403@Vine Office Building:
The scaffolding is up to remove the glass blocks from the south facade of 403@Vine office building. This photograph also includes the new art tower.

Credit: Jordan Green / City Beat

Crane over the university's downtown medical school building on Saturday: (removing antique HVAC system)

Credit: Jason Thiel

Formation Design:
Famous hipster clothing designer Amanda Vaughn-Redmon has moved to downtown Winston-Salem from Philadelphia, becoming another celebrity in Winston-Salem. If you see her downtown, be sure to welcome her to Winston-Salem. Why would I post that here? Because her clothing company will share space in the currently under construction Centennial Trading Co., Manufacturing Center. Centennial's hipster clothing manufacturing center is on our list of projects we are following. She has also just opened a clothing retail store, selling only her clothes, in downtown Winston-Salem. It's at 214 North Broad Street, in downtown's Village District. Not the best location. She should've leased in the Arts District. It's important to get the word out about her store. You've seen her designs at several upscale department stores, hipster clothing stores, and upscale boutiques... now you can visit her boutique and possibly meet her! Centennial Trading Co., Manufacturing Center should be completed soon? I didn't realize it was multi-tenant clothing manufacturing space?

National Center for Design Innovation:

Credit: kmphoto4

Credit: kmphoto4

ARTivity on the Green:
The new park's opening day is scheduled for May 2. The event will include food trucks. The Mural Wall will be an evolving canvas, with 10 mural artists painting there. The performance shelter, for music and performing arts, will have built-in benches and easels. The park is built for more than just artists. The park is also for pet owners, nearby children and the residents who live downtown. It is to be viewed as a giant piece of art.

These metal structures will be painted red:

Credit: Bill Petrie Jr.

The Edge Flats Tower Two:

Credit: Sydney Vogel

Bailey Park @ East End:
A "Bailey Park" sign was installed on the stage structure. Did they install the sign on the restroom building too? A post at WSTB said Bailey Park will officially open April 17, as a venue for the Phuzz Phest indie music festival.

Credit: Keith Hall

Semans Arts Library:

760 West Fourth:
The developer is petitioning the city to close a city owned alley for this 15-storey mixed-use skyscraper. A public hearing is scheduled for March 23.

Bailey Power Plant:
This massive retail and entertainment center development is moving forward. appsdeacs at WSTB reported seeing two men in reflective vests on a cherry picker doing work. rmhpmi at WSTB reported a drone flying over the smokestacks. Last week was a very exciting week at Bailey Power Plant!

Quote:
My wife snapped this photograph earlier today.

Central Library:
Commissioners will decide on March 9 if they will authorize an 11% increase in the library project's construction budget. Please contact Kaplan and Martin and tell them you support increasing the library's construction budget!

Mast General Store:

Credit: Mast General Store

Plant 64 Apartments & Retail:
Yes, this project was recently finished, but I wanted to share a great view. This is how the outside of the building looks from the inside. A view I don't think we've seen before?

Credit: Erika Mac

Old Salem Landmark District Brick Sidewalk Repairs:
The City of Winston-Salem has awarded a $170,000 contract to Stantec Consulting Services for Old Salem sidewalk repairs. Trees have destroyed parts of this landmark district's historic brick sidewalks.

Credit: alannahbby

Plaza Building:
Workers are installing HVAC equipment in the Plaza Building. I think they are installing it on the 2nd floor? This building once shared building systems, such as HVAC and backup generators, with the Kimpton Hotel and Residences Tower, when the two buildings were part of the corporate headquarters complex for RJR Nabisco and later as the headquarters complex for Planters-Lifesavers. Now these two buildings must be separated. It's actually three buildings, if you count the Galleria as its own building. The Galleria wasn't sold to Kimpton Hotels & Resorts and will remain with the Plaza Building.

Kimpton Hotel and Residences:
The design team for this hotel includes Strada, Gensler, Theresa Fatino Design, crème, and Ohm Lighting. Those working on the project are calling it "Kimpton Hotel and Residences" at this time, so we shall do the same.

It appears as if workers are doing something inside the crown too! I would love to see a rooftop bar or restaurant.
http://i.imgur.com/NLJTqY4.jpg
Credit: JournalNow

Technology Infrastructure:
North State is expanding its fiber network in Winston-Salem. North State expects to offer gigabit speed internet, home phone, and television services in Winston-Salem in a few months. This is ultra-fast gigabit speed, which is roughly 100 times faster than what most cable broadband Internet companies offer.

Winston-Salem already has ultra-fast gigabit speed internet service from AT&T. This new service from North State will give AT&T competition and help to drive-down prices for gigabit speed internet in Winston-Salem. North State will also give Winston-Salem a third choice for cable TV, which should lower cable prices too.

Last edited by Matthew; Jan 29, 2017 at 5:51 AM.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2015, 5:01 AM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:

Did Trammell Crow buy the Journal Building: New to this Thread!
It appears as if a developer (believed to be Trammell Crow, but not confirmed at this time) has placed the Journal Building, near the convention center, under contract. This happened as the former Integon Life Insurance Tower and Security Life & Trust Building were both believed to be placed under contract... Possibly by Trammell Crow, but again, not confirmed at this time. The Journal Building was marketed as a great place for a new hotel. If it's the same developer, this developer has now purchased over 7 acres of land downtown and hired an architect (Wakefield Beasley & Associates) to design a mixed-use development here. This is more than twice as big as their proposed Greenville (SC) development. The Journal will complete the sale of their building in the Fourth Quarter of 2015 and relocate to new space in downtown.

Site of possible office/retail/condo tower in the proposed development:

Credit: Britt Chester

No details are 100% confirmed on anything happening at this site. This should be a fun project to follow!

This is an older image of BioMed Realty's spec., office building conversion project at 403@Vine. I'm sharing it due to this being an unusual view. This will be an office building for research and technology companies, when it opens in 2016.

McHugh Sisters Flats:
Salem College Apartments is now called McHugh Sisters Flats. Did you know: Salem College was the 13th college/university in the United States. Salem College was the first college/university in the South. It was also the first college/university for women in the United States. Winston-Salem was a very progressive city in the 1700s!

A blurry image from the 24th floor of the Wells Fargo Center:

Credit: Frank L. Blum Construction

D1 Sports Training:
The developer is Sports Med Properties. The building will include a synthetic turf field, basketball gyms, pro-style weight room, and cardio and stretching areas.

Bailey Park Arts Tower:

Central Library:
The upgrades proposed for the new Central Library include more meeting spaces on the first floor and a full café. The upgrades will also give the building more pizzazz and more technology. Enhancements would include multiple colors for the metal panels on the building’s exterior, patterned glass outside, glass walls in more rooms inside, nicer handrails, wood ceilings in some spaces, and more lawn features. Additional money would allow the second and third floors of the library to have access floors, which could be moved easily to allow re-routing of power and data cables underneath, making the space more flexible. Additional financing would also enhance technology in the MakerSpace. These are just some examples of what can be done with an extra 11% added to the Central Library's budget and are not an exhaustive list. Remind Kaplan why you voted for him and remind him of when he claimed to be a strong supporter of an improved Central Library. He is not currently supporting the Central Library. Please write to Kaplan and tell him to do what he said and support this extra money for the Central Library or face a decline in support in the next election.

Mast General Store:
It appears as if they are stocking the store!

Credit: Megan Trexler

Carpentry work on the hotel could start this week! It appears as if the apartments will be built in phases, with some of the apartments opening at the end of this year and others opening in Summer 2016? The apartments on the upper floors will be the last phase.

Credit: Charlie McCurry

Credit: Bobby58

Semans Arts Library:

Credit: Susan Smith

Recent (Sunday, March 8)! (also includes 403@Vine Office Building construction)

An older, but unusual, view of this university's new downtown medical school. (Medical School is on the Right )

Edge Flats Tower Two:

Take a trip back in time?

Foothills Brewery Tasting Room:

Speaking of Foothills, The Daily Meal said Foothills Brewing had the 4th best new beer release!

Bailey Power Plant:

Bailey Park @ East End:
The first phase is nearly complete. The second phase of this park is scheduled to start construction around Spring 2016.

Credit: Phuzz Sounds

Inmar Headquarters and 525@Vine:
MAJOR NATIONAL AWARD! Both Inmar's new headquarters and 525@Vine were named "Preservation's Best of 2014" by the National Trust for Historic Preservation, The National Trust Community Investment Corp., and Preservation Action as the nation's best examples of historic rehabilitation for 2014! WOW! The two buildings, owned and developed by BioMed Realty at a cost of $150 million, contain nearly 500,000 square feet of tech company office space. Inmar's Headquarters is 100% fully leased and 525@Vine is 94% leased. These buildings "are not only transforming biomedical science but also expanding the possibilities for reusing historic buildings," said Michael Phillips, public policy manager for the National Trust Community Investment Corp.

Inmar Headquarters:

Congratulations to BioMed Realty, their construction and design partners for the two 2014 Winston-Salem projects, and their subsidiaries.

Transportation Infrastructure:

Brookstown Pedestrian Bridge - Strollway Pedestrian Bridge - Expressway Bridges: New to this Thread!
San Francisco architect Donald MacDonald was hired by Creative Corridors to design two new downtown pedestrian bridges over the East-West Expressway. The firm was also hired to help design other downtown bridges over the same expressway; which will replace the existing bridges when the expressway is completely rebuilt, starting in 2016. Three downtown bridges are candidates for iconic design features. Creative Corridors said “We have asked Donald to help us imagine and design bridge treatments that will make a statement to the region and the world, through architectural design.” Donald MacDonald has designed bridges from the Anacostia Pedestrian Bridge in Washington D.C., to the Falcon Flight Bridge in Dubai in the United Arab Emirates.

Visit the Architect's Website: http://www.donaldmacdonaldarchitects.com

Old Posted Mar 17, 2015, 4:07 AM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:

An historic vault door from 1896 is now a door to an apartment! (Yes, it has a face!)

Credit: DWSP

Credit: David B.

Credit: Matt Brown

Beautiful! I wish we had updated photographs of the interior though...

Credit: Coffee CoMission

Expanding in Winston Tower:
Hatch Software Company is expanding its workforce by 30%! Great news for the 30-storey Winston Tower!

B/E Aerospace Engineering Development Lab:
Almost finished! The architects provide us with an update. Again, aerospace engineers have all the fun!

You can see the test dummies on the Acceleration Test Sled:

Mystery Project:
Is this dumpster for Linville Team Mossman's new headquarters or for something else? It appears to be in front of one of the small storefronts? I've seen it in several photographs, over the past month or two.

Credit: Jamie

IQ District Building Sold to Buyer from Brazil:
CBRE Capital Markets arranged a $95 million loan for a private family interest in Brazil. They purchased Linden Center, in downtown's IQ District, along with two other buildings on the west side of downtown and a few others in the region. Linden Center is the east coast tech hub for Wells Fargo and was also the second adaptive reuse project in the IQ District (Linden Center was converted from a warehouse to tech office space in the 1990s).

Credit: RE Business Online

Whitaker Park:
Forsyth County Commissioners are considering an incentive offer of $200,000 for up-fits to an existing building in Whitaker Park. The city of Winston-Salem has already approved an incentive offer of $200,000. The city and county incentives would match an incentive grant of $350,000 by the Golden Leaf Foundation. The building will be transformed into wet lab space for three companies. Keratin Cosmetic Sciences is interested in leasing space in Whitaker Park and would also invest $824,560 in the space. Construction could begin in May or June.

Pepper Building:
Interior demolition update from Urban Mez.

Edge Flats Tower Two:

McHugh Sisters Flats:
An update on Salem College's new downtown residence hall.

Credit: Frank L. Blum Construction

ARTivity on the Green:

Alex at the new park's construction site:

Did I forget something?

Chatham Manufacturing Mixed-Use Development:
As you can see in TwinCity's post, this is already under renovation, but the official ground breaking was Friday. Chatham Manufacturing will become apartments, retail, and office space.

...Of course we will make a massive post on this building! The first buildings in this complex were built for Chatham Blankets in 1907. It was one of the largest wool and blanket manufacturing facilities in the World. In addition to Chatham, the complex was also home to Adele Knits; Union Carbide, which based massive engineering and design operations here; and Western Electric, which would become the city's largest employer. Yes, Western Electric was Winston-Salem's largest employer for many decades! They also founded what became Truliant Federal Credit Union, one of Winston-Salem's largest financial companies. Western Electric's Winston-Salem operations, called the Winston-Salem Works, became a MAJOR defense contractor, after World War II, employing over 1,000 PhD scientists in the design of missile defense systems, communications equipment, and early computers. They also had manufacturing operations employing thousands more people in Winston-Salem. The Winston-Salem Works is where Western Electric designed and built everything defense related. The massive Winston-Salem Works operations were so important, during the Cold War, that Winston-Salem was given an Air Force base (810th Air Defense) to track anything moving toward the operations. That Air Force base is now a city park with a tall and unusual concrete tower in the middle. Western Electric's Winston-Salem Works became AT&T in 1984 and closed in 1989. Their newer (1960s) complex was purchased by Winston-Salem based tech company Data Chambers, several years ago. Now the older complex will become apartments, offices, and retail. The renovation architect is Tise Kiester Architects. This will become affordable housing, using tax credits to pay 40% of the renovation project's cost.

Yes, it's already under construction!
http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townn...pg?resize=1025

Developer Kenneth Reiter of Belmont Sayre:

Fake ground-breaking:

Talking to City Council:

Credit: TWC

Credit: Kristin Zachary

Last edited by Matthew; Jan 29, 2017 at 5:53 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations