HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > General Photography

Old Posted Oct 15, 2008, 11:38 PM

Photo licensing

I have a general question. Perhaps there is a thread on this already, but...I have a personal website that I update with my photography, particularly of cities I visit. It is mostly for friends and family, but it is a public website. Recently, I got an email from a web designer who is doing a website for a company who wants to licence one of my photos for their website. Now, I've never been asked this before, so, I have no idea what is involved, what I should ask for, etc. They are offering to pay for it, but, I wouldn't even know what is appropriate. Any insight or advice anyone has to give would be much appreciate it.

Thanks!

Old Posted Oct 16, 2008, 2:01 PM
Member of SSP since 1997

It all depends on how you value your work. Some people will just say "go ahead and use it, but put a link to my site", while others will want to charge hundreds of dollars, or anywhere in between. I say, if someone values your work - they should pay a reasonable fee for it.

I've been licensing my photos for about eight years now - for website use, I usually charge $30.00 to $50.00 per use of each photo. Honestly, I don't own a large amount of expensive equipment so it's not like I need to charge more to cover costs like that. For printed materials, usually I have to provide a high-res image, so that involves a higher fee.

As far as an actual contract - I know some people who have paid an attorney to draw up a complicated document. Since most of my clients are referred to me by friends, and because Cleveland is a smaller market - I pretty much know who is asking to use my photos. So, I just keep it casual but still legally binding and include something along the lines of: "This email constitutes an agreement that you will only use the image for the project intended and not redistribute it. Also, clevelandskyscrapers.com retains full usage rights of the images in question. The image license being purchased is covered by federal copyright laws. The image will be provided in a format agreed upon when payment is rendered."

Now, if someone wants to use a dozen photos for a major project, I would probably use a more drawn-out licensing agreement. Also, if I get the impression that a client might be interested in repeat business, I make sure to mention that they can have a "quantity" discount - after all, I'd rather get paid a discounted fee for a batch of photos than not get paid at all.

Good luck!

Old Posted Oct 16, 2008, 6:00 PM

That is great advice MayDay, I appreciate it! I also did some research online, but, like you mentioned, the rates people charged seem all over the place. I am certainly not a professional and never expected any money for my photography. But, I also don't want to give away a photo and not retain the right to use it myself. Anyway, I like your approach, so, thanks!

Old Posted Oct 24, 2008, 1:38 PM

I agree with Mayday. Web is different from print. For print, I've done everything from seveal hundred, down to about $50.00.

It depends on the use, and what you think you can get. Name a price, they might say yes... If not, offer it for a price you can live with.

I have a copy at home the language I use for simple transactions.

If you want I can post it this weekend.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2008, 8:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Border City Boy View Post
I agree with Mayday. Web is different from print. For print, I've done everything from seveal hundred, down to about $50.00.

It depends on the use, and what you think you can get. Name a price, they might say yes... If not, offer it for a price you can live with.

I have a copy at home the language I use for simple transactions.

If you want I can post it this weekend.
This has been my reasoning. If they're going to be using it in a nationwide campaign, they're probably expecting you to ask for hundreds if not thousands. If it's for web, it'd be more inexpensive. It would also depend on the company, a household name expects to be charged alot, smaller business have smaller budgets and are looking for reasonable bargains.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > General Photography