HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Linc LIC in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jan 30, 2012, 11:30 PM

I believe that is the star tower but I could be wrong

Old Posted Jan 31, 2012, 5:52 PM
Bionic Boogie

from my sundeck......the birth of a 42 story tower....

DSC_5295 copy by Ceva321, on Flickr
SSP member since 2003
Please do not use any of my photos or videos without my permission. thanks

Old Posted Feb 1, 2012, 12:50 PM

Star Tower is the sad sad pit immediately behind this shiny sliver. There are very few details on this building. Last time I was in the area, a number of other parcels right around there are now slated for new towers as well. It's an area about to pop.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2012, 9:02 PM
Bionic Boogie

LIC is getting it's own little skyline......lots of mini skyscrapers popping up

IMG_3448 copy by Ceva321, on Flickr
SSP member since 2003

Old Posted Feb 19, 2012, 9:23 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadcruiser1 View Post
There should be a 1,000+ footer skyscraper in LIC that would act as a signature skyscraper to everything that is being built now.
How ridiculous. Did you forget Laguardia airport and the FAA? Also, there is no demand for such a supertall in LIC anytime soon. It needs more 500footers first before you could even consider a developer building a supertall. Manhattan is struggling to get tenants for its supertall proposals and you think Queens is going to get one? No, this is outlandish.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2012, 10:24 PM
Khurram Parvaz

^ Manhattan is struggling to get supertalls in general, and is now finally getting a few. In 10-15 years there WILL be a supertall outside of Manhattan, and the first borough to get one WILL be Brooklyn (downtown area), then maybe 10 years after Queens.

I don't think people understand how HARD it is building a supertall (let alone any) building in NYC. ONE 57 the building everyone is loving right now, was 13 years in the making. It took Gary Barnett 12 years to buy out a bunch of plots, and then demolish all the buildings to get one "BIG" plot. The same goes for most buildings. Albeit it will be easier finding land outside of Manhattan, you still have to face permits, and approvals to get your building rolling.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2012, 12:35 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE BIG APPLE View Post
^ Manhattan is struggling to get supertalls in general, and is now finally getting a few. In 10-15 years there WILL be a supertall outside of Manhattan, and the first borough to get one WILL be Brooklyn (downtown area), then maybe 10 years after Queens.

I don't think people understand how HARD it is building a supertall (let alone any) building in NYC. ONE 57 the building everyone is loving right now, was 13 years in the making. It took Gary Barnett 12 years to buy out a bunch of plots, and then demolish all the buildings to get one "BIG" plot. The same goes for most buildings. Albeit it will be easier finding land outside of Manhattan, you still have to face permits, and approvals to get your building rolling.
Why are you telling me this? You should direct this response to the previous poster I replied to.

Moscow will soon have more supertalls than NYC at the rate its going...so much for skyscraper city NYC.

Anyway, the FAA won't like supertals this close to the airport.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2012, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue View Post
Why are you telling me this? You should direct this response to the previous poster I replied to.

Moscow will soon have more supertalls than NYC at the rate its going...so much for skyscraper city NYC.

Anyway, the FAA won't like supertals this close to the airport.
LIC is extremely far from LaGuardia Airport and second of all why isn't the FAA complaining about Midtown Manhattan which is also a flight path for planes coming into LaGuardia? Exactly...

Who said that a supertall skyscraper here would be an office tower? It would most likely be residential like One57 or 432 Park Avenue.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2012, 12:54 AM
Khurram Parvaz

^ I didn't mean to offend you.

NYC (or Chicago) will always be looked at as the skyscraper capital of the world the prior more than the latter. It's like sports, the best player will always be remembered, no matter what new player surpasses his accomplishments. Is Dubai being looked at as the new skyscraper capital of the world, or Shanghai. No. And to be quite honest they never will be. Shanghai may come (much) closer than Dubai, at becoming a (Alpha ++) city, because of its history. There are only TWO Alpha ++ cities in the world NYC and London.

Moscow (wadr) is a great city, but it's only an Alpha city, not even (Alpha +) like Dubai and Shanghai.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2012, 8:46 AM

Quote:
^ I didn't mean to offend you.

NYC (or Chicago) will always be looked at as the skyscraper capital of the world the prior more than the latter. It's like sports, the best player will always be remembered, no matter what new player surpasses his accomplishments. Is Dubai being looked at as the new skyscraper capital of the world, or Shanghai. No. And to be quite honest they never will be. Shanghai may come (much) closer than Dubai, at becoming a (Alpha ++) city, because of its history. There are only TWO Alpha ++ cities in the world NYC and London.

Moscow (wadr) is a great city, but it's only an Alpha city, not even (Alpha +) like Dubai and Shanghai.
The whole "world city" thing is totally subjective. What variables do they base their conclusion on?

In any case, I don't think the global cities designation makes a skyline look any better. Dubia has a huge skyline. I don't particularly like the architecture of most of the buildings, but overall I would consider Dubai in the top 5 along with New York, Chicago, Shanghai, and Hong Kong. I would probably rank it fifth though, with Singapore, Shenzhen, Guangzhou approaching.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2012, 9:51 PM
Khurram Parvaz

Top five in terms of skyline. I truly love Hong Kong's skyline, but do I think HK is the skyscraper capital of the world. NO. What amazing skyscraper innovations happened in HK or Shanghai. NYC and Chicago are fully of rich architectural and engineering history and innovations. Dubai has the WTB (I'll give them that). But it's going to take more than that, to be in the top 5 skylines. I don't see Taipei looked at as having the best skyline, or skyscraper capital of the world, they had the WTB (Taipei 101). NYC will ALWAYS be the skyscraper capital of the world.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2012, 6:22 PM
Bionic Boogie

i took another stroll around the area today...

IMG_3488 copy by Ceva321, on Flickr

old LIC

IMG_3487 copy by Ceva321, on Flickr

new LIC

IMG_3485 copy by Ceva321, on Flickr

SSP member since 2003

Old Posted Feb 26, 2012, 11:06 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Top five in terms of skyline. I truly love Hong Kong's skyline, but do I think HK is the skyscraper capital of the world. NO. What amazing skyscraper innovations happened in HK or Shanghai. NYC and Chicago are fully of rich architectural and engineering history and innovations. Dubai has the WTB (I'll give them that). But it's going to take more than that, to be in the top 5 skylines. I don't see Taipei looked at as having the best skyline, or skyscraper capital of the world, they had the WTB (Taipei 101). NYC will ALWAYS be the skyscraper capital of the world.
Damn right, you have seen the light. HK IS the skyscraper capital right now. It has the most skyscrapers of any city in the world, and that is a fact.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2012, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Damn right, you have seen the light. HK IS the skyscraper capital right now. It has the most skyscrapers of any city in the world, and that is a fact.
Hong Kong might have a lot of skyscrapers, but it isn't not the skyscraper capital. Many tourists don't even know Hong Kong's skyscrapers when they first visit. They might know the Bank of China Tower, but little else. When a tourist lands in New York they instantly can tell the Chrysler Building, the Empire State Building, the World Trade Center both old and new, the Woolworth Building, the World Financial Center, the Metlife Buildiing, and etc. As soon as they land on a plane, or visit from a boat they know the names of these buildings. You can't do that in Hong Kong so no it is not.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2012, 1:10 AM

Quote:
Go to skyscraperpage/diagrams and look compare the architecture of the two cities. Also, compare the types of buildings (office/hotel/residential). Finally, compare the heights of the buildings on pages 9-13. As you can see, NYC has far more skyscrapers of visual impact, while Hong Kong has mostly repetitive residential structures.

HK has a beautiful topography, and the layout of the buildings is magnificent, but I don't see how you can say HK wins this fight. HK has a really nice skyline for a stretch of a few miles (and less than a mile thick). The rest is 25-40 story apartment buildings. NYC, on the other hand has Midtown (the largest CBD in the world), Downtown (the densest CBD in the world), + downtown Brooklyn + Jersey City. Also, nothing much of note is being built in HK, meanwhile NYC is seeing a building boom.

P.S. This is off-topic, and will probably get deleted.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2012, 12:01 AM
Bionic Boogie

IMG_3544 copy by Ceva321, on Flickr

IMG_3554 copy by Ceva321, on Flickr

IMG_3555 copy by Ceva321, on Flickr

SSP member since 2003

Old Posted Mar 6, 2012, 12:10 AM
Bionic Boogie

Related Long Island City news:

http://ny.curbed.com/archives/catego...sland_city.php

http://www.nypost.com/rw/nypost/2012...1--300x300.jpg

Quote:
BRIGHT LIGHTS, BIG CITY

JetBlue will be landing soon at its new headquarters, 27-01 Queens Plaza North in LIC.

The airline wants to adorn the rooftop of its new building with a 40-foot tall lighted version of its logo (just imagine a much bigger version of the image at right), but the neighbors aren't totally on board. Community Board 2 supports JetBlue's proposal but voted against the needed zoning change, for example, on the grounds that it doesn't want other companies following JetBlue's lead.

Quote:
JetBlue wants to light up the New York skyline with its iconic blue logo — but it must first clear layers of city red tape before taking off.
The airline, which will move its corporate headquarters to Long Island City next month, plans to erect a 40-foot lighted sign on the rooftop of its new building at 27-01 Queens Plaza North.
“When complete, it will be easily seen from the east side of Manhattan across the river,” JetBlue said.
But JetBlue’s proposal must be reviewed and approved by two community boards, the borough president, the City Planning Commission, the City Council and mayor.
SSP member since 2003

Old Posted Mar 6, 2012, 12:32 AM

Quote:
It has the most skyscrapers of any city in the world, and that is a fact.
Well, sorta. It depends on your definition of skyscraper.

If skyscraper is Emporis 12+ floors, then Sao Paulo has, by far, the most.

If skyscraper is 200+ ft, then Hong Kong has the most.

If skyscraper is 500+ ft, then NYC has the most.

Different standards will result in different answers.

And that's not even considering anything outside of raw volume. Is a Norman Foster-designed building "better" than a commieblock? That's a value judgment, and not really rankable.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2012, 2:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
Well, sorta. It depends on your definition of skyscraper.

If skyscraper is Emporis 12+ floors, then Sao Paulo has, by far, the most.

If skyscraper is 200+ ft, then Hong Kong has the most.

If skyscraper is 500+ ft, then NYC has the most.

Different standards will result in different answers.

And that's not even considering anything outside of raw volume. Is a Norman Foster-designed building "better" than a commieblock? That's a value judgment, and not really rankable.
LOL Emporis is a joke IMO. For me, 400+ seems about right, although 30+ story cookie-cutter apartment buildings in outlying areas don't do it for me.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2012, 10:48 PM
Bionic Boogie

IMG_3623 copy by Ceva321, on Flickr

IMG_3621 copy by Ceva321, on Flickr
SSP member since 2003

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive