HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 24, 2018, 11:19 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by borkborkbork View Post
Little Pizza Heaven is now the only remaining tenant of that setback plaza.

Smitten closed about a year ago, the tanning salon closed down recently, and TD has posted signs saying the ATMs are being removed at the end of May.

So, vacancy list if I'm getting them all right, from N to S:

-Second Cup
-Luxe&Charm
-Desart
-Smitten
-Fabutan
-TD
-Basils/Black Rabbit/Ward1
-OV Motor Inn
-Western Gold & Diamond
-Osborne Place

Feels like a lot to absorb...
^space above shoppers, plus a couple spots on river ave (one above little sister and a couple in the building next to it)

Old Posted May 25, 2018, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf13 View Post
Good. Clean slate. Considering that there are (to my knowledge) only a few landlords that own most of the spaces, perhaps something cohesive and engaging can be done.
considering that some of these have been vacant for a year+, i worry about whether some of the great little OV spots (take care, etc.) will survive long enough to see a renaissance. and there's a tipping point where enough retailers are lost that it becomes very hard on the remaining ones.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2018, 6:57 PM

Interesting - in today's WFP the OV BIZ is quoted about vacancies. They claim there are no vacancies right now.

Here's what I can find:

- Space above Stylebar on River
???

-Second Cup:
Leased according WFP article, not sure to who

-Luxe&Charm:
???

-Desart:
Leased according to WFP article, not sure to who

-Smitten/Fabutan:
WFP says Little Pizza Heaven is expanding -- maybe taking these spaces over?

-TD:
Someone on this forum said dispensary?

-Basils/Black Rabbit/Ward1 -
Pete's Place as of July 1

-OV Motor Inn
Leased according to WFP -- makes sense since they've started doing some actual work on in this month (but for lease sign is still up)

-Western Gold & Diamond
Still has a giant for rent sign in the window

-Osborne Place
No sign of activity

-Green Carrot
Still for lease

I also know Meji Sushi and Wasabi on Osborne are looking for buyers, so who knows what's happening there.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2018, 7:13 PM

Quote:
considering that some of these have been vacant for a year+, i worry about whether some of the great little OV spots (take care, etc.) will survive long enough to see a renaissance. and there's a tipping point where enough retailers are lost that it becomes very hard on the remaining ones.
Idealistically I'm with you, but perhaps the cold hard best use solution is to practically press the reset button.

I still love Osborne now and even more what it used to be, so part of me thinks that we're just prolonging the bleeding.

It needs a greater range of demographics... Fude was awesome and more well-heeled 30+ ppl should have frequented it, and as with other larger cities,the 40+ crowd should be less averse to being near the 20-somes.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2018, 6:25 PM

Most of the cool/hip vibe has gone to the Exchange in recent years. I can see Osborne shifting to something more along the lines of Whyte Ave in Edmonton – the Shoppers expansion kind of signalled that to me. A little more mainstream than before. And honestly, I'm OK with that. I'd rather it be busy and bustling even if mainstream, than slow and dying because we're trying to artificially preserve the hip factor it once had. Things change.

In terms of the dispensary, Delta 9 is going in below StyleBar – so unless this is another one going in at TD, not sure that's correct. I could definitely see Tokyo Smoke wanting an OV location however, so maybe.

Whatever is happening at Osborne Place is very bizarre. Pretty much all the construction equipment and fencing are gone, the landscaping is done, but they haven't finished the huge glass wall yet?!?! It's just a gaping hole in the building!! Part of me wonders if the construction company screwed up, because there was supposed to be that huge glass part, but for some reason it's not open to the building... I have no idea what possible use that space could have. It's so weird.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2018, 3:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post

In terms of the dispensary, Delta 9 is going in below StyleBar – so unless this is another one going in at TD, not sure that's correct. I could definitely see Tokyo Smoke wanting an OV location however, so maybe.
Below Stylebar? I hope you mean above -- below is Little Sister, which would be a HUGE loss to the neighbourhood.

Quote:

Whatever is happening at Osborne Place is very bizarre. Pretty much all the construction equipment and fencing are gone, the landscaping is done, but they haven't finished the huge glass wall yet?!?! It's just a gaping hole in the building!! Part of me wonders if the construction company screwed up, because there was supposed to be that huge glass part, but for some reason it's not open to the building... I have no idea what possible use that space could have. It's so weird.
There was a post on here a while back that they were planning to convert several levels to an automated parking garage (?!?!). It really does seem like they have no idea what they're doing, which is consistent with everything I've heard about Imperial, the company who owns that building.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2018, 4:37 AM
surely you agree with me

I really think OV is just transitioning to a neighbourhood strip from a destination retail strip. We will see things that support the surrounding community more than shops that rely on people coming from elsewhere. Too hard to compete with the ‘fashion mall’.

If this is the case. I’m good with it.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2018, 4:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by
Whatever is happening at [B
Osborne Place[/B] is very bizarre. Pretty much all the construction equipment and fencing are gone, the landscaping is done, but they haven't finished the huge glass wall yet?!?! It's just a gaping hole in the building!! Part of me wonders if the construction company screwed up, because there was supposed to be that huge glass part, but for some reason it's not open to the building... I have no idea what possible use that space could have. It's so weird.
I think that space is supposed to be 'fresh air balconies'.

https://www.collierscanada.com/servi...772ef0464d641b

Old Posted Jun 4, 2018, 8:22 PM

Quote:
Below Stylebar? I hope you mean above -- below is Little Sister, which would be a HUGE loss to the neighbourhood.

Little Sister seems to be doing well, doubt they're going anywhere. Amazing coffee too, they're a perfect fit for the neighbourhood and thriving in an odd space, ironically directly across from starbucks.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2018, 8:27 PM

Quote:
My bad, it's the building next door, where White Lotus vacated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
I really think OV is just transitioning to a neighbourhood strip from a destination retail strip. We will see things that support the surrounding community more than shops that rely on people coming from elsewhere. Too hard to compete with the ‘fashion mall’.

If this is the case. I’m good with it.
Agreed. We're not that big of a city, and we're already spread thin, that I'd rather focus on one great destination shopping area (Exchange slowly becoming that) then try to spread it out all over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WpG_GuY View Post
I think that space is supposed to be 'fresh air balconies'.

https://www.collierscanada.com/servi...772ef0464d641b
That's brutal if that's the case – is that supposed to be finished in mesh?! It does appear however that they forgot to put doors in...

I just can't imagine that getting approved, it's so weird.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2018, 8:39 PM

Looking in commercial real estate available...

- TD space is still for lease
- Osborne Place is listed with "state of the art automated parking" – I still don't get where it is.
- "Up to 7620 sq ft" is for lease in the "redevelopment" of the Jekyll & Hyde building at 130 Osborne. To me that says they likely won't be renewing that lease.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2018, 9:41 PM

Quote:

That's brutal if that's the case – is that supposed to be finished in mesh?! It does appear however that they forgot to put doors in...

I just can't imagine that getting approved, it's so weird.
I thought, 'no, impossible, it's got to be glazed, or at worst, masonry panels'.

But nope. From their variance application:

"large areas of perforated panel conceal exterior balconies on floors 2-6"

It's amazing that the building is actually going to get *uglier* as they get closer to finishing it

Old Posted Jun 6, 2018, 9:45 PM

I heard that Muddy Waters is looking at possible new locations and the Village would be their preferred landing spot.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2018, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacheguy View Post
I heard that Muddy Waters is looking at possible new locations and the Village would be their preferred landing spot.
i'll take the vacancies over muddy waters

Old Posted Jun 6, 2018, 10:16 PM

Quote:
i'll take the vacancies over muddy waters
Me too. They need a new menu as a minimum..

Old Posted Jun 6, 2018, 10:37 PM

Lol gross.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2018, 4:13 AM
surely you agree with me

Was chatting with an employee of little pizza heaven today. She told me they are not expanding but moving into the TD space. Which is bigger. ShawarmaKhan is opening in their old spot. Sounded like they might be connected but it wasn’t clear.

Good news.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2018, 4:18 AM

That is good.

One thing I'd pay attention to then is if Green Carrot sticks around. Obby is a part owner of GC, and that location is expensive and bigger than it needs to be. They've opened other locations and I could easily see them taking production somewhere else and selling in Shawrma Khan. Complete speculation, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2018, 5:21 AM

Quote:
That is good.

One thing I'd pay attention to then is if Green Carrot sticks around. Obby is a part owner of GC, and that location is expensive and bigger than it needs to be. They've opened other locations and I could easily see them taking production somewhere else and selling in Shawrma Khan. Complete speculation, but it wouldn't surprise me.
i'm not around there all that often but i don't think i've ever seen a customer in green carrot. i always wondered how they made money lol

Old Posted Jun 7, 2018, 7:02 PM

Quote:
That is good.

Quote:
i'm not around there all that often but i don't think i've ever seen a customer in green carrot. i always wondered how they made money lol
It makes sense that they assumed the hipsters would like their product, but they forgot how night time traffic is a major driver.

Having a shawarma joint open late next to the toad and related drinking/club establishments would be smart.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan