HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jul 5, 2018, 1:46 AM

Could the evergreen towers parking lots ever be developed with more highrises? They are such a blight.

Lindsay Somers (@lindsayhsomers) on Instagram: “Winnipeg. Tuesday, July 3rd 2018. 9:24pm

Old Posted Jul 5, 2018, 4:05 AM

^I've always thought the same thing – at the very least, one more building right up against Osborne, if not also in the middle (which would then be hidden). Considering the other towers are on top of the parkade, I'd imagine it's possible, but if it wasn't designed as such, could be very costly.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2018, 4:25 AM
Back from the dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpg_Guy View Post
Could the evergreen towers parking lots ever be developed with more highrises? They are such a blight.
There's something about that parking lot, though. It looks like it's actually a parkade of some sort but I don't recall there being any entrance or exit to it going underground. Not sure.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2018, 6:05 AM
surely you agree with me

Jekyl and Hyde’s is closed. Brutal.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2018, 1:08 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spocket View Post
There's something about that parking lot, though. It looks like it's actually a parkade of some sort but I don't recall there being any entrance or exit to it going underground. Not sure.
It's a parkade.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jul 5, 2018, 1:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spocket View Post
The two white towers share it. The entrance is by the base of the west tower. The brown tower has its own which runs the length of the lawn out front of it.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2018, 6:41 PM
Rational urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
Jekyl and Hyde’s is closed. Brutal.
Is this related to the "redevelopment" of the site, or just regular business problems?

That is brutal. Just a week or two ago my buddy and I decided that would be "our spot" in the neighbourhood, as we both recently moved there. It was good to have something different from the club vibe that the rest of the Osborne strip has on Friday/Saturday nights. Guess we'll have to keep looking.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2018, 2:35 PM

Renders/details for Phase II of Osborne Place.

They're claiming groundbreaking this summer.

"15 storey Mixed-Use tower of 120,157.5 square feet with available space ranging from 1,475 to 6,846 sft containing retail, commercial, residential and common area amenities such as the parkade, roof-top lounge, gym and more."

This helps to clarify a bit their offer of automated parking in Phase 1 (ppl here including me were scratching their heads about how this was going to be added after the fact)

Details including powerpoint deck here: https://engine.spacelist.ca/engines/8/listings/178561

Some updates about Phase 1 leasing:

Old Posted Jul 6, 2018, 2:40 PM

^ Nice to see that they're proceeding with the second phase. It'll provide a good visual anchor to the Confusion Corner anchor.

That said, I still find the whole project kind of peculiar... it looks like hardly anything in the first building is leased. How are they not taking a bath on this? Good on them if they have the capital to ride this out, though.

The two buildings are really close together too... the first four floors on the south side of the office building will be staring at a brick wall. I suppose that just reflects the limitations of the site, though.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2018, 2:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
That said, I still find the whole project kind of peculiar... it looks like hardly anything in the first building is leased. How are they not taking a bath on this? Good on them if they have the capital to ride this out, though.
I think they may have drunk the TOD kool-aid a little too deeply thinking they could (in Winnipeg, outside of downtown) offer 5 stories of office space with only 16 parking spots because of their proximity to the RT station. Phase 2 feels like it's trying to make Phase 1 workable.

This proposal (coworking spaces! airbnb! automated parkades!) feels a little bit like a 20something developer's pinterest board.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2018, 2:47 PM

What an amazing turnaround for that area. Can't wait to see what it'll look like once the city gets the land from Money Mart and completes the north east end of the Pembina sidewalk/bike lane/street rehab. Can't believe a Money Mart of all things is causing an entire year's delay on that project.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2018, 2:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by borkborkbork View Post
I think they may have drunk the TOD kool-aid a little too deeply thinking they could (in Winnipeg, outside of downtown) offer 5 stories of office space with only 16 parking spots because of their proximity to the RT station. Phase 2 feels like it's trying to make Phase 1 workable.
I can't imagine that more parking wasn't part of the plan, though. I can't believe that anyone would build a 5 storey building with only 16 spots planned for it. Surely the parkade in the second tower was meant to provide parking for the entire complex?!

Quote:
This proposal (coworking spaces! airbnb! automated parkades!) feels a little bit like a 20something developer's pinterest board.

I agree with michelleb, I can't wait to see what that area will look like once the Money Mart is eliminated.

It would be nice to see the progress at that corner continue... the buildings south on Pembina (the fireworks shop and stuff around it) are pretty shabby and could stand to be replaced with something better. Then there is the island which is home to the organic shop and Dollarama... that has the potential to be absolutely transformative.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2018, 4:17 PM
What could go wrong?

Maybe they should finish the first building before moving to a second.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jul 6, 2018, 4:17 PM
BANNED

320 river ave:

from winnipeg.ca

Old Posted Jul 6, 2018, 4:32 PM
keep the good times going

That tower looks good, hope they can pull it off haha

Old Posted Jul 6, 2018, 6:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
Is anything happening with that building? I drive by all the time and it looks like nothings been done for a long time. Not quite finished, doesn't appear to be any tenants. Maybe I'll look closer next time.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2018, 3:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Is anything happening with that building? I drive by all the time and it looks like nothings been done for a long time. Not quite finished, doesn't appear to be any tenants. Maybe I'll look closer next time.
Theres some work going on in there:

JUNE 28
Dukeplumbing on Instagram: “View from the office today..
#winnipegplumber #downtownwinnipeg #Winnipeg #dukeplumbing

Old Posted Jul 7, 2018, 3:46 AM

RC (@rcwinnipeg) on Instagram: “Checking out the shadows at Osborne Station

Sean Seywright (@seywright) on Instagram

Old Posted Jul 7, 2018, 4:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
Totally. We don't want another d condo situation on our hands.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2018, 6:33 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris22 View Post
Totally. We don't want another d condo situation on our hands.
Won't be a problem if the residential floors are rental units.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan