HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Sep 20, 2012, 1:20 AM

Waller Creek Conservancy Design Finalists

Old Posted Sep 20, 2012, 1:57 AM

I am sooooo underwhelmed.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2012, 2:21 AM

I like them all.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2012, 3:31 AM

First or second ones do it for me.

And on the second one, they did not just include the S Congress bats on there, did they? Haha.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2012, 4:11 AM
Meh

I really like that pedestrian bridge across the river in the 2nd proposal. Notice that it ties in with the boardwalk on the south shore.

I think overall I like the first one the most. It seems to have a little bit of everything.

And I do like those swimming areas in the 3rd proposal. That waterfall looks nice.

I'm not real crazy about all that open sidewalk/trail space with grass. Seriously grass? And few trees. This is Texas. We need shade. And that looks kind of boring.

I'm hoping whatever is built is a little more interactive than just a body of water flowing through downtown.

Ideally I'd like to see a mix of both urban public plazas/spaces with art, and allow people to get on and in the water. And then maybe transition that to a more natural area with trees/plants and aquatic life where people can escape from the city to a cooler and quieter environment.

That's what I love about the riverwalk in San Antonio. You can get away from the traffic and go into this totally different space that is quieter and cooler than what is above. I don't think we should try to copy the riverwalk in San Antonio either, but we could take a page from it. Austin's always been a city that loves music and also the outdoors. That's why I'd like to see those plazas (for music) and the quieter more natural areas for a retreat from everything. And I'm not sure how restaurants and other retail could fit in. I really would like to see food vendors allowed to set up in the parks.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2012, 2:37 PM

I pretty much am impressed with them all as well. I think its important to remember this is just the southern most part of the creek's design. It really doesn't outline the improvements to Sabine Street as a market district or the increased development that will happen along the acreage removed from the floodplain.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2012, 8:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
I really like that pedestrian bridge across the river in the 2nd proposal. Notice that it ties in with the boardwalk on the south shore.
I was liking that one too, at least at that end. Watch out for those bats in the rendering tho they are bigger than people!

Some of the drawings are hard to really get a gauge of what is what and where.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2012, 2:06 AM

Ok, here's where I separate from the pack and stand alone... I like none of the proposals. I wanted something similar to the SA riverwalk on a smaller scale. Years ago the AAS had some renderings of a totally urban concept that I was on board with... restaurants, shops, hotels, and businesses lining a canal like Waller Creek which had walks on both sides and could handle small boats. We have enough of the proposals already with 10 miles of fricken trails and a boardwalk on the way. And I really don't like the circus tent canopies. Maybe I have it all wrong and the southern most end of the creek will be the only park like element where it dumps into the lake, and that's what the designs are only showing, I'm ok with that, but I'd rather not see the majority of the creek renovations turned into more trails and parkland. I still prefer an Austin version of the SA riverwalk. Build the creek into a canal with architectural features and walkways, let developers build along it and pay for construction to tie into it, ie: entryways into their establishments or outdoor seating areas for restaurants with plants and lighting. I envisioned something with a more touristy appeal rather than another park oasis inside the city. I was hoping for a metro feel modern and contemporary concrete and stone canyon with running water and waterfalls with entertainment and architectural elements, and got 4 designers with green thumbs up their asses. Ok, pile on me...

Last edited by the Genral; Sep 21, 2012 at 2:31 AM.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2012, 2:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
Ok, here's where I separate from the pack and stand alone... I like none of the proposals. I wanted something similar to the SA riverwalk on a smaller scale. Years ago the AAS had some renderings of a totally urban concept that I was on board with... restaurants, shops, hotels, and businesses lining a canal like Waller Creek which had walks on both sides and could handle small boats. We have enough of the proposals already with 10 miles of fricken trails and a boardwalk on the way. And I really don't like the circus tent canopies. Maybe I have it all wrong and the southern most end of the creek will be the only park like element where it dumps into the lake, and that's what the designs are only showing, I'm ok with that, but I'd rather not see the majority of the creek renovations turned into more trails and parkland. I still prefer an Austin version of the SA riverwalk. Build the creek into a canal with architectural features and walkways, let developers build along it and pay for construction to tie into it, ie: entryways into their establishments or outdoor seating areas for restaurants with plants and lighting. I envisioned something with a more touristy appeal rather than another park oasis inside the city. I was hoping for a metro feel modern and contemporary concrete and stone canyon with running water and waterfalls with entertainment and architectural elements, and got 4 designers with green thumbs up their asses. Ok, pile on me...
I can promise you they aren't unlocking 28 acres from the floodplain just to put trails and parks all the way along it. Expect to see lots of riverwalk style development from 1st st back towards the Waterloo inlet.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2012, 3:47 AM
Meh

Thanks for putting this thread together. I'm liking the first one the most. I really want to see a pedestrian bridge on that side of downtown, and it is wonderful that it'll tie in with the boardwalk. Connectivity and ease of access is one of the major things that will make downtown a success. This has the potential to be used as a transportation system for downtown and the areas around it.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2012, 1:22 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

Its too bad they couldn't take some elements
Of all four but CMGs is my favorite second would be the poppy flower one. Blend those two together and we would be in business. I do not want to be considered a copy cat riveralk version of San Antonio. This is Austin an this project needs to be unique and something San Antonio does not have.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2012, 11:18 AM

is there a train in the first pic?

Old Posted Sep 24, 2012, 4:35 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud92 View Post
is there a train in the first pic?
Yes, Trinity is now considered the best location for an urban rail crossing south.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2012, 8:18 PM
Meh

http://www.statesman.com/news/news/w...this-we/nSQtj/
Quote:
Posted: 2:19 p.m. Monday, Oct. 1, 2012
Waller Creek design teams to present plans this week

By Liz Farmer

A jury of five professionals from across the country will review designs for renovating 15 blocks of Waller Creek downtown this week.

The review, which will be open to the public, will be held from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Wednesday at City Hall, 300 E. Second St., according to a statement from the Waller Creek Conservancy, which is running the design competition.

The finalists will present their designs to City Council on Oct. 11, and the conservancy will announce the winner Oct. 18. City and conservancy officials agreed that the chosen design will serve only as a blueprint for changes to Waller Creek.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2012, 6:14 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Only as a blueprint huh... So what we see may not be what we get.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2012, 9:04 AM

something i noticed about the CMG plan, on the layout design it shows what looks like a park over I35 between 12th and 11th street bridges...hmmm

Old Posted Jun 7, 2013, 2:56 AM
Meh

Fox7 tonight had a segment about the designs. I found these images of the model from MyFoxAustin's Facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...e_photo_stream

This looks like something from Indiana Jones.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2013, 7:28 PM

Quote:
Fox7 tonight had a segment about the designs. I found these images of the model from MyFoxAustin's Facebook page.

This looks like something from Indiana Jones.

WOW! That look super cool! Can't wait!

Any Idea where the model is? I wonder if it is on display at city hall?

Old Posted Jun 7, 2013, 9:27 PM
Meh

I'm not sure. I guess I could email the conservancy's website and see what I get. I wouldn't mind seeing and taking some photos.

That model shows the platform that was mentioned. They said it would be 30 feet high and offer views of the Capitol. That image also shows that floating cloud structure at the bottom of what looks like a ramp to the top of the platform.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2013, 11:15 PM
Meh

Here's another photo of the model with a different angle showing the floating cloud.

http://images.texas.ynn.com/media/20...Paul-00901.jpg

http://austin.ynn.com/content/top_st...oo-park-design

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin