HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Aug 16, 2011, 7:47 PM
working stiff

Saskatoon | River Landing Village | 88m-63m-50m-55m | 18-20-17-13 floors | U/C

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsim249 View Post
Developer proposes changes to design of River Landing complex

Victory Majors Investments Corporation, the development company founded by Saskatoon businessman Kay Nasser, plans on asking the City of Saskatoon and Meewasin Valley Authority to consider changes to existing zoning bylaws to allow for a redesigned hotel, condominium and office building on the River Landing property on the city’s riverbank.

The company announced Thursday it will seek amendments “to permit greater building height and density than is currently allowed.” The changes, the company said in a statement, “will facilitate the vision of River Landing which is to create a vibrant urban edge on the river serving as a significant civic gathering place and destination in the south downtown area of the City of Saskatoon.”

The preliminary design includes a 10-story hotel, a 27-story condominium and a 17-story office . It would be surrounded by an “urban plaza” that includes include grassed terraces , patios with pavers as venues for concerts or other art performances, and a water feature that can be used a skating pond in the winter, a reflecting pool with fountains in the summer, and when drained, as audience space for performances or concerts.

The company on Thursday also introduced Tonko Realty Advisors and Cavalier Enterprises as members of the development team for the River Landing project.

“The real estate experience, financial capital and commitment to Saskatoon that Tonko and

Cavalier bring to this project make them ideal partners,” said Nasser. “Such a high profile and complex project will only be strengthened by their

knowledge and involvement.”

Read more: http://www.thestarphoenix.com/Develo...#ixzz1UlD01j25

Feels more monumental than the previous proposals. The stepped design is pleasing to the eyes. The plaza layout sounds flexible and functional. And it's in keeping with the legacy of the Bessborough -- opening up to the river valley.

Updated: June.15.2016

River Landing

Quote:
ALT HOTEL BY LE GERMAIN - planned to have 17 storeys and 165 rooms
RESIDENTIAL TOWER - targeting 19 storeys which will house 80-100 condominium residences
THE EAST TOWER - planned to have 12 storeys, 155,000 SF of net rentable office area and 15, 250 SF of ground floor retail
THE NORTH TOWER - planned to have 22 storeys, 300,000 SF of net rentable office area and 17,250 SF of ground floor retail

East Tower River Landing

Aerial view

Image/Informational Source:

Last edited by Cyro; Jun 15, 2016 at 5:08 PM.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2011, 8:32 PM

I'll have to see more renderings before I judge, but it looks very cool. 27 floors of residential will likely be 82-85m which is very exciting.

If this has accessible ground floor retail and is pedestrian friendly count me very excited.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2011, 10:34 PM

I like the new hieght increase, but i dont know about the design of the condo tower. The previous curve design looked much more elegant than this design. I guess ill need some more renders to judge. Can't complain though, lets get some shovels in the ground!

Old Posted Aug 17, 2011, 2:15 AM

dang saskatoon!

sexy!

27 stories??

Old Posted Aug 17, 2011, 6:13 AM
Regina rhymes with fun!

For some reason, the renderings for the old proposal look alot nicer to me. Maybe it's because the textures and resolution on this look really gritty and muggy.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2011, 3:51 PM

originally posted by Echoes

Quote:
A report in Wednesday's City Council agenda regarding the requested amendments to the DCD1 notes a requested increase in building height to 95 m.

Saskatoon's current tallest is 79.2 m.
nice

Old Posted Aug 19, 2011, 3:27 PM

I too am reserving judgement on this new design until more detailed renderings are available. First impressions are that I think the plaza connection to the existing River Landing public space is an improvement. I did like the 'curved design' in the original design, but as mentioned, will hold judgement on this one until more details (finishes, etc.)

What this overall project and area needs, however, is increased opportunity to dine, lounge, have a few drinks while being able to take in the vista of the river valley. It is incredible to me that Saskatoon is devoid of these opportunites given the natural gem that we are so lucky to have with our river valley.

Looking forward to council approval and shovels in the ground by spring of 2012.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2011, 2:14 AM

I'm actually kind of liking this new design, I really enjoyed the look of the previous one because it looked quite fluid and the seperate structures were arranged to look like one massive building.

However, I'm also enjoying the idea of a "front" so to speak, of tall modern buildings along the riverbank. It reflects, I think, the places our city is going as it grows and matures. From the current renderings though I'm still not entirely sure how the buildings are arranged in relation to eachother and the public area, and like everyone else I want to see more before they go through with it.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2011, 5:32 PM

A site plan posted on the Owls and Roosters blog helps show the arrangement of the buildings and layout of the plaza:

Source: http://owlsandroosters.blogspot.com/

Old Posted Sep 25, 2011, 9:05 PM

originally posted by Mike with an M

Quote:
I'm actually kind of liking this new design, I really enjoyed the look of the previous one because it looked quite fluid and the seperate structures were arranged to look like one massive building.

However, I'm also enjoying the idea of a "front" so to speak, of tall modern buildings along the riverbank. It reflects, I think, the places our city is going as it grows and matures. From the current renderings though I'm still not entirely sure how the buildings are arranged in relation to eachother and the public area, and like everyone else I want to see more before they go through with it.
I agree with you Mike this would be a great addition to the riverbank, hopefully more of this will happen in the future. If there are restaurants associaated with this it would be a great place on a summers night to have a drink and something to eat. I bet the view from the top would be great.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2011, 8:43 PM
ARTchitecture

Agreed. Very excited to see this go up in Sask. Any news on this one lately?

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2011, 6:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
Agreed. Very excited to see this go up in Sask. Any news on this one lately?
There was an open house on it recently as I found out on the construction thread (too late I'm afraid). Didn't get there myself, but Brutopian did:

Quote:
I attended the open house. John and Kay Nasser were there. A rep from Tonko was there. Urban planners from the City were there. It was an excellent opportunity to learn more about the newly-revamped proposal for Parcel Y. A good showing from the public, as well. Lots of interested folks. The renderings for the project on view at the open house were the same as the ones made available to the public when the project was announced a few weeks ago.

I asked about whether or not the proposed height of the condo tower (95 metres) poses an issue with the north-south flight path (approach) to the airport. I was told no, it does not pose an issue. I was told that the 95 metre height in that particular location is not an issue with the airport authority. (I learned that they could even build 10 metres higher -- to roughly 105 metres -- in that spot if they wanted.)

The proposed rezoning goes before Council in November, I believe. If it is passed, then the required permits must be obtained in order to begin construction. Once those ducks are in a row, construction could start in spring 2012.

The City was also interested in hearing public opinion on what kind of building height/density Saskatoon residents would like to see in the tracts of land around the Farmer's market. Ranges of 3-4 stories to 10-12 stories were presented as options.
Also, Echoes posted this link.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2011, 3:32 AM

Old Posted Nov 22, 2011, 5:26 AM
ARTchitecture

Higher quality renders from the project website

http://www.riverlanding.ca/project_u...age/index.html

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2012, 8:09 PM

Doesn't seem to be much if anything going on here.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2012, 3:23 AM
ARTchitecture

Apparently construction begins this summer

Old Posted Apr 9, 2012, 9:06 AM
Transit Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
Apparently construction begins this summer
Saskatchewans on a high-rise roll lately!

Old Posted Apr 9, 2012, 4:16 PM

Unfortunately, that is still nothing more then rumours....no confirmation yet. We are supposedly waiting for new architectural renderings before any work can start. It has been a long and painful wait so far....hope Nasser proves many of us skeptics wrong! If we don't see a rendering soon or some action on the site I think this project is in trouble.

A good sign is that Tonko, one of the partners, built RiverCentre right next store on spec and now has the building 90% leased before it is even ready to open. Hopefully Tonko will be pushing for RiverLanding to get going to capitalize on shortage of Class A office space!!

Old Posted Apr 10, 2012, 2:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairieguy View Post
A good sign is that Tonko, one of the partners, built RiverCentre right next store on spec and now has the building 90% leased before it is even ready to open. Hopefully Tonko will be pushing for RiverLanding to get going to capitalize on shortage of Class A office space!!
Another good sign is that Cavalier Enterprises is a partner. Cavalier owns/operates the Sheraton Cavalier Saskatoon and the Sheraton Cavalier Calgary Hotel. I think they are also behind the new boutique hotel in Saskatoon. It is an impressive team behind the project just now.

What would be nice is if we hand one of the other high-end brands from the Sheraton family, such as a Westin, St Regis, Le meridien, or W Hotels. Hopefully not a mid range brand like Four Points.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2012, 6:00 PM

^ Yes, consider that 2 of the partners in this project have just successfully completed (or are completing) significant projects in Saskatoon:
- Tonko's River Centre (90% leased)
- Cavalier's James Hotel is now open to rave reviews (Saskatoon's first high end boutique hotel)

The other thing that's encouraging and makes this project realistic is that it will be built in phases. I suspect work on the hotel and office tower will begin first while they market and pre-sell the condos.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan