HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Aug 30, 2011, 8:12 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spocket View Post
The ghost of Steven Juba speaks to me through messages in my fortune cookies . It's even stranger considering the Chinese have no clue what a fortune cookie is or where you could buy one anyway .
It will really freak folks in China out when you tell them that hardly anyone in Canada actually eats maple syrup anymore, and those leaf-shaped bottles you see in every store are sold 99% to Asian (and the occasional European) tourists.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2011, 8:37 PM

So if I understand correctly, within the city limits Raleigh will remain open south of Donwood Drive, between Gilmore Avenue and Alqonguin Drive, and north of Knowles Avenue. Couldn't Gilmore Avenue be connected to Sun Valley Drive where that pedestrian path crosses, then Raleigh Steet (and the bus loop) could close between Gilmore Avenue and McIvor Avenue? Similarly wouldn't extending Donwood Drive and Edison Avenue to Gateway Road have similar impact.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2011, 8:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
It will really freak folks in China out when you tell them that hardly anyone in Canada actually eats maple syrup anymore, and those leaf-shaped bottles you see in every store are sold 99% to Asian (and the occasional European) tourists.
You mean...you don't drink maple syrup, freeweed?

Good god man.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2011, 11:45 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cslusarc View Post
So if I understand correctly, within the city limits Raleigh will remain open south of Donwood Drive, between Gilmore Avenue and Alqonguin Drive, and north of Knowles Avenue. Couldn't Gilmore Avenue be connected to Sun Valley Drive where that pedestrian path crosses, then Raleigh Steet (and the bus loop) could close between Gilmore Avenue and McIvor Avenue? Similarly wouldn't extending Donwood Drive and Edison Avenue to Gateway Road have similar impact.
You have it right. Apparently no one wants to connect Gilmore and Sun Valley. I believe that they are trying to limit the connections between Raleigh and Gateway because the intersections they create are disasters.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Feb 17, 2014, 5:43 AM

UPDATE:

My parents are furious that the Jeff Browaty, councillor for North Kildonan, wants to close Raleigh Street and Gateway Road at the Municipal limit. The closure of these important inter-municipal rights-of-way should be prevented otherwise my parents' property will lose over 60% of its market value as the potential for commercial development evaporates. My Mom was talking to our East St Paul councillor and the current thought is that if Winnipeg barricades Raleigh (and any future extension of Gateway) with its "Berlin Wall", East St Paul will respond by closing Wenzel Steet, a street with over 5000 cars daily primarily heading to Springfield Road and the industrial development in Transcona.

It even made it to the City's Docket at the East Kildonan - Transcona Community Committee: See Agenda Here

The public hearing is Tuesday, February 18th at 6:00pm at City Hall.

Quote:
1. Closing – Parts of Raleigh Street and Gateway Road at the City of Winnipeg Limits –
DAC 18/2013

Old Posted Feb 17, 2014, 5:56 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by cslusarc View Post
UPDATE:

My parents are furious that the Jeff Browaty, councillor for North Kildonan, wants to close Raleigh Street and Gateway Road at the Municipal limit. The closure of these important inter-municipal rights-of-way should be prevented otherwise my parents' property will lose over 60% of its market value as the potential for commercial development evaporates. My Mom was talking to our East St Paul councillor and the current thought is that if Winnipeg barricades Raleigh (and any future extension of Gateway) with its "Berlin Wall", East St Paul will respond by closing Wenzel Steet, a street with over 5000 cars daily primarily heading to Springfield Road and the industrial development in Transcona.

It even made it to the City's Docket at the East Kildonan - Transcona Community Committee: See Agenda Here

The public hearing is Tuesday, February 18th at 6:00pm at City Hall.
Most support Browaty as I do, instead of working with the city of Winnipeg the RM of East St. Paul decides on it's own to allow a retail commercial development that will NEGATIVELY impact Winnipeg residents. If East St. Paul makes retaliatory move they will be sorry, a lot of East St. Paul residents rely on Winnipeg's water and sewer lines that could very easily be capped.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2014, 1:25 PM

To cut off Wenzel would require agreement from the RM. of Springfield as the boundary between the two runs down the center of the road right of way.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2014, 3:26 PM

I feel for your Mom's property value. 60% is a bit of a stretch though.. Maybe 5% IMO, if that. Just based purely on access, nothing to do with retail potential in the area. I'm furious that the government of ESP would allow something like this to go forward without any negotiations and put my municipality at risk. Remember your parents don't pay taxes to the City, so have no say. Just like the CoW has no jurisdiction in ESP and now are having go to battle.

I also feel for my wallet and other CoW taxpayers. I'm pro Browaty 100% on this. I don't think Gateway/Raleigh will actually be closed. But good that someone took a stand.

What the municipality needs to do is build proper access within their own boundaries. Not rely on residential streets in Winnipeg for truck access. At least make an effort so something can be worked out.

You're pretty much stuck in the NE corner at the interchange. The proposed 2 lane road connecting back to Headmaster is not the answer. Maybe make that 4 lanes if possible and make the new road running east-west to Henderson (Maxwell King) 4 lanes. Then connect Gateway/Raleigh to that new road and it could work.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2014, 5:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
If East St. Paul makes retaliatory move they will be sorry, a lot of East St. Paul residents rely on Winnipeg's water and sewer lines that could very easily be capped.
I thought the RM had their own water, water treatment and sewer infrastructure?

Old Posted Feb 17, 2014, 7:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdog View Post
I thought the RM had their own water, water treatment and sewer infrastructure?
I believe the East st Paul residents on the north side of Glenway tap into the city sewer and water on the south side.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2014, 8:34 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
I believe the East st Paul residents on the north side of Glenway tap into the city sewer and water on the south side.
Pretty sure that's all though, just Glenway.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan