HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Sep 20, 2018, 5:12 PM

^ Officials jumping because NoVA is going to get Amazon?

Old Posted Sep 20, 2018, 5:13 PM

*edit - mods, please delete this*

Old Posted Sep 20, 2018, 5:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisisforreal View Post
This was happening a little while ago:
What is that for?

Old Posted Sep 20, 2018, 5:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Saturn64 View Post
What is that for?
Window cleaning. Nearly every tower has something like it.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2018, 5:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Saturn64 View Post
Major property, West Philly, not near 30th Street Station, under contract? I assume you can't tell us. Anyone else have any guesses?
I ultimately think that it's going to be the NW corner of 38th and Chestnut, but I also have my suspicions about the SW corner of Farragut and Market. That huge plot of land is just begging to be developed into something significant. A residential mixed-use building would do wonderfully at that site, and it would certainly jumpstart development along Market Street similar to what has been going on along Front Street in Fishtown.

Now that I think about it, much of the area between Market, Chestnut, 52nd, and 40th Street could be developed in a much denser, cohesive fashion:

Temple University '18 ']['

Old Posted Sep 22, 2018, 7:19 PM

Hold onto your hats...

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-45615441

Someone tell me, what does this mean for Philly, if anything.

Old Posted Yesterday, 1:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mja View Post
Hold onto your hats...

A bump in the stock price, but I doubt it will net any new employees to Philly. Just a guess.

Old Posted Yesterday, 4:16 AM

Quote:
Hold onto your hats...

I don't know if it ever means more jobs in philly but this is nonetheless great news for the city. Cable TV is a dying racket. Comcast has done a great job diversifying what they do to ensure they're prepared for whatever the future holds. The health of comcast is important to philly. They became more healthy today.

Old Posted Yesterday, 1:44 PM

Quote:
Hold onto your hats...

It probably means more Game of Thrones spin offs which is great for everyone!

Old Posted Yesterday, 2:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allovertown View Post
I don't know if it ever means more jobs in philly but this is nonetheless great news for the city. Cable TV is a dying racket. Comcast has done a great job diversifying what they do to ensure they're prepared for whatever the future holds. The health of comcast is important to philly. They became more healthy today.
Most of Sky's revenue, like Comcast's, is based on monthly subs - this isn't really a crazy diversification move. Just European footprint. Comcast definitely needs to continue to diversify its revenue streams...

Old Posted Yesterday, 4:39 PM

I also think the Sky acquisition was also about denying Disney the technology to enter the cable industry. It was defensive and expanded the market for Comcast. I think Sky also has a Hulu-type service so that's technology/license agreements that Comcast definitely wants to have access too and can bring to the US. Not 100% sure on this...need to research more.

Will this bring jobs to Philly? I don't know. Probably not immediately, but there will have to be more business travel between Philly and Europe now which is great for us as it could help other European businesses have Philly on their radar. If Comcast decides to consolidate the Sky Subscription service into the Comcast Innovation Center, it could result in more jobs. There's also Sky Mobile which could help Comcast expand its mobile capabilities. Eventually, Comcast is going to clash against Verizon in the mobile space so this could be ramping up for that war.

There are a lot of moving pieces.

Old Posted Yesterday, 4:49 PM

My last comment got me thinking about the inevitable fight between Comcast and Verizon. So I looked up Sky Mobile to see where they stand on 5G technology -- looks like they are on the front lines of 5G in the UK -- just like Verizon being on the front lines in the US.

https://www.telecomstechnews.com/new...network-early/

I wouldn't be surprised if 5G capabilities is part of what this is about. 5G is Broadband-type wireless speeds which will be a huge threat to Comcast's broadband. So if Comcast has access to 5G capabilities, it could pull that from the UK and apply it in the US and not be too far behind Verizon.

Old Posted Yesterday, 4:50 PM

It's kill or be killed out there and even if the city nets no new jobs out of this, at least we're home to a killer. I mean, did anyone see CoreStates as a weak entity vulnerable to an acquisition? You never know in this day and age and this move certainly strengthens Comcast's position in the corporate world.

Old Posted Yesterday, 6:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamShatter View Post
I also think the Sky acquisition was also about denying Disney the technology to enter the cable industry. It was defensive and expanded the market for Comcast. I think Sky also has a Hulu-type service so that's technology/license agreements that Comcast definitely wants to have access too and can bring to the US. Not 100% sure on this...need to research more.

Will this bring jobs to Philly? I don't know. Probably not immediately, but there will have to be more business travel between Philly and Europe now which is great for us as it could help other European businesses have Philly on their radar. If Comcast decides to consolidate the Sky Subscription service into the Comcast Innovation Center, it could result in more jobs. There's also Sky Mobile which could help Comcast expand its mobile capabilities. Eventually, Comcast is going to clash against Verizon in the mobile space so this could be ramping up for that war.

There are a lot of moving pieces.
Comcast wireless is already here. Bundle with cable and internet. Broadband is a tough business. Google tried getting into it and could not make it work. Lots of infrastructure building that can't be done immediately. That's where comcast and verizon has the advantage. Both companies know they have to diversify and cannot be a one trick pony. There's too many content out there on streaming hardware like fire stick, roku, google chrome stick, etc and content provider like hulu, netflix, etc. This space continues to evolve and those that aren't proactive in the evolution will lose market share.

BTW...you can already get 1 gigabyte upload/download from verizon, that's T1 or better speed. I guess some people need this for residential use.

Old Posted Yesterday, 7:45 PM
Midrise

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartphilly View Post
BTW...you can already get 1 gigabyte upload/download from verizon, that's T1 or better speed. I guess some people need this for residential use.
*gigabit (not byte), I think. Regardless, many times faster than a T1, which is roughly 1.5 megabits. Nobody bothers with T1s these days.

As to Comcast, their Internet business is huge and the Comcast Business division has become a big player in the commercial Internet sector. In the carrier-neutral colocation data center where I worked* a large share of new customer circuits installed in the past couple years were Comcast. Their network engineering is very well-regarded in the industry and they were ahead of the pack in deploying IPv6.

*I'm on layoff, collecting severance, since August, as my employer phased out our Conshohocken facility, due to a massive proposed rent increase by the landlord (I was there in various roles, including network operations, since it opened 18 years and 6 different corporate owners ago), but I go back to work next month at our Navy Yard location.

Last edited by Jayfar; Yesterday at 7:56 PM.

Old Posted Today, 2:21 AM

If it doesn't mean another 1000+ footer, we shouldn't even be talking about it here OTOH, if the earlier rumor that CC has discussed Philly with Amazon (HQ2), then this acquisition should surely add weight to that recommendation.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations