HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Sep 6, 2018, 8:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Lived in RH for 25 years. Never saw the city replace a single tree on Grant as they died or got damaged over the years, not sure why.
Grant was a rail line before it was a street. Perhaps the old rail bed is preventing the trees from thriving.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2018, 9:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
They have not been in use for maybe 30/35 years and now with all of the grass in the Henderson median being replaced with the red shale or solid concrete I would not expect the city to use them.

I know there were there because depending on what shift I was working I would get my car wet coming home from work due to the sprinklers being on.

I was able to find on Google Maps a picture of a piece of the old system sticking out of the shale at Harbison and Henderson.
The black tube by the guard rail?

Guess who installed the red shale about 15 years ago. Yup this guy. I don't remember the sprinklers, but that was a long time ago. Interesting tidbit! It's a shame those type of features aren't kept up and installed on these days. Just the bare bones, no add ons..

In terms of the elm trees, it seems the dry spring in particular had a big effect on the trees around my house. Specifically the elms. All the other tress were lush and green once the rains came. The elms struggled..

Old Posted Sep 7, 2018, 1:05 AM

It’ll be interesting to see what comes out of the design tests integrated into John Hirsch Place. The whole street was designed with landscaping, sewer/water, and construction techniques not used anywhere else in the city. Tree beds are directly attached to stormwatwr drainage, etc.

Last edited by buzzg; Sep 11, 2018 at 11:42 PM.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2018, 9:27 PM

As some of you may have heard from the local news media, the University of Manitoba has digitized and made available the entire collection of Winnipeg Tribune newspapers dating back to 1890.

http://umanitoba.ca/libraries/units/archives/tribune/

Old Posted Sep 11, 2018, 11:12 PM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

^^^
About time!

Old Posted Sep 14, 2018, 6:05 PM

Interesting article in the FP about lack of police response to an incident at the Grand Hotel at the airport. Quotes a guest who was surprised by police response -- he happens to be retired CEO of GoDaddy, who was on his way back from a "wonderful" trip to Churchill to see polar bears. At least he had a nice trip up to that point.

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/lo...493186791.html

Old Posted Oct 3, 2018, 2:33 PM

Don’t think it’s been discussed but Xplorenet is launching a new cell phone company in MB, xploremobile. Currently building locations in Polo, Winnipeg Square, and a few other malls. Aiming to be cheap and simple pricing. If they can cut $20 off the average plan, could make a huge impact here.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2018, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
As some of you may have heard from the local news media, the University of Manitoba has digitized and made available the entire collection of Winnipeg Tribune newspapers dating back to 1890.

http://umanitoba.ca/libraries/units/archives/tribune/
This could have been written this year:

Old Posted Oct 15, 2018, 5:47 PM
What could go wrong?

Saw the Google Streetview car driving around the roadways of the Seasons of Tuxedo over the lunch hour today.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Oct 18, 2018, 8:18 PM
What could go wrong?

Hey we just made the main CNN online page

https://www.cnn.com/2018/10/18/healt...rnd/index.html
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Oct 18, 2018, 8:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
Hey we just made the main CNN online page

https://www.cnn.com/2018/10/18/healt...rnd/index.html
What an embarrassment.

Of course this province would tack a $672 fine on pot in the car, and of course the cops would be writing a ticket for it within an hour of being able to do so.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2018, 8:34 PM
the first stamp is free

I guess a ticket is better than a record..?

But really, smoking up in a car was illegal before yesterday, and would have resulted in some sort of police action if they witnessed it today, yesterday and the day before that, so I don't know why this is a big deal.

I mean, the fine sucks. But that fine is now about the same if you get caught LOOKING at your cellphone while driving, plus a 3-day license suspension.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2018, 8:42 PM

But what were the laws before legalization? There really was nothing. It was only you had possession of an illegal substance. They still don't have actual tests for determining what is considered driving under the influence of cannabis. What level is it? So I have oil in my mouth. What does it mean?

Again, going back to my high school days. We'd get pulled over by the cops because we're kids doing stupid things. They'd check us for weed. Take it and stomp on it. Then tell us to get lost. No tests for DUI.

One time camping it got rowdy, police came. They took everything, dumped it out and again stepped on it. That was there policy maybe? They then breathalyzed us and sent the most sober person behind the wheel and off we went down the #1.

Now you get a $600 fine for the weed.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2018, 8:52 PM

they've been pretty up front that they don't want people smoking and then getting behind the wheel of a car. It shouldn't be a surprise. They probably want to send a message because undoubtedly many people figure it's anything goes now with legalization.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2018, 9:00 PM

Looks like the fir DUI related to pot will be filed.

https://www.chrisd.ca/2018/10/18/imp...sted-manitoba/

Old Posted Oct 18, 2018, 9:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
I guess a ticket is better than a record..?

I mean, the fine sucks. But that fine is now about the same if you get caught LOOKING at your cellphone while driving, plus a 3-day license suspension.
It's exactly the same. $672.00. It's like they picked this random number and applied to everything they were working on that day. Plus 5 demerit points.. Can't forget that.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2018, 9:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ando View Post
they've been pretty up front that they don't want people smoking and then getting behind the wheel of a car. It shouldn't be a surprise. They probably want to send a message because undoubtedly many people figure it's anything goes now with legalization.
Ya. It's publicity. To be clear again I'm not opposed to DUI's for cannabis for obvious reason.

I haven't seen the MPI ads recently that stated you should wait 4 hours before driving. I bet they were told to remove those ads immediately.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2018, 10:45 PM

I get that the law is the law, but I find the level of the fine for mere usage to be heavy-handed and draconian. This will have an outsized impact on the segment of society that simply can't afford a $700 fine and will therefore face other consequences.. The young and the poor in particular.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2018, 1:17 PM
What could go wrong?

How hard is it to not smoke a joint while you are driving? To me it is easy, whether right or wrong it is a rule...just don't do it. The fine could be $10,000 and it would be easy to never get a ticket.

If you are that dumb then pay up.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2018, 1:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
How hard is it to not smoke a joint while you are driving? To me it is easy, whether right or wrong it is a rule...just don't do it. The fine could be $10,000 and it would be easy to never get a ticket.

If you are that dumb then pay up.
Same fine for smoking in public period if I'm not mistaken.

Edit: Not mistaken:
https://potstocknews.com/manitoba-cannabis-rules

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan