HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Dec 23, 2011, 11:25 PM

tough not to debate it in any type of forum regarding the cmhr, as one of its most loyal supporters in the initial stages of construction i have been finding it tougher to support it with its budget and exhibit fiascos. I am also a bit pessimistic of the idea of the nature of the exhibits. Does anyone have any idea how these "virtual, media, whatever" exhibits are actually going to be like?

that being said I'm still glad its being built, i anticipate however that over time the theme of the museum will change as well as its exhibit structure.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2011, 2:13 AM
Heart of the Continent

There is no exhibit fiasco....except in the opinion columns. We don't really know what's going to be in there yet.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2011, 5:18 PM
BANNED

Good read by Dan Lett, Winnipeg Free Press

Making the museum

Is the Canadian Museum for Human Rights a bottomless pit for tax dollars or a bold national institution that Ottawa is getting for next to nothing? Whenever it finally opens, will any of its displays be as compelling as the story of how it got built?

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bre...136178533.html

Old Posted Dec 24, 2011, 9:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
Good read by Dan Lett, Winnipeg Free Press
Great read. Thanks.

Old Posted Dec 25, 2011, 3:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmt18325 View Post
There is no exhibit fiasco....except in the opinion columns. We don't really know what's going to be in there yet.
Because the museum doesn't even know yet. Whether that is a good or bad thing is a matter of opinion.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2011, 2:34 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalcolmTucker View Post
Because the museum doesn't even know yet. Whether that is a good or bad thing is a matter of opinion.
Speaking of which, I had a rather serious question that I hope can be addressed. I know that the Holocaust will be given a permanent exhibit. If anyone has inside information to this question, that would be of much help.

My question is will the Holocaust exhibit mention all six groups (race/religion/sexual preference/etc.) systematically targeted for extermination by the Nazi's, or will it focus exclusively on the genocide of the Jewish people? Thanks in advance.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2011, 3:27 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

don't know

Old Posted Dec 26, 2011, 3:41 AM
Transit Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jets4Life View Post
Speaking of which, I had a rather serious question that I hope can be addressed. I know that the Holocaust will be given a permanent exhibit. If anyone has inside information to this question, that would be of much help.

My question is will the Holocaust exhibit mention all six groups (race/religion/sexual preference/etc.) systematically targeted for extermination by the Nazi's, or will it focus exclusively on the genocide of the Jewish people? Thanks in advance.
Hopefully something else than the Holocaust. Pol Pot, North Korea, Ceaucescu, Stasi, Stalin, etc

Old Posted Dec 26, 2011, 5:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by armorand93 View Post
Hopefully something else than the Holocaust. Pol Pot, North Korea, Ceaucescu, Stasi, Stalin, etc
no what he means is the holocaust was not just a genocide of jewish people, although it was focused on the jewish people & they were the overwhelming majority of people who were murdered, but there were many other minority groups targeted as well; homosexuals, disabled, handicapped, coloured individuals etc...among many.

but I do agree, there is going to be a lot of controversy regarding which peoples are added to the exhibits, because there are many groups who have been violated by racial and hate crimes but whose stories are not as well known or historically not well recorded in north america

Old Posted Dec 26, 2011, 11:59 AM
Transit Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by roccerfeller View Post
no what he means is the holocaust was not just a genocide of jewish people, although it was focused on the jewish people & they were the overwhelming majority of people who were murdered, but there were many other minority groups targeted as well; homosexuals, disabled, handicapped, coloured individuals etc...among many.

but I do agree, there is going to be a lot of controversy regarding which peoples are added to the exhibits, because there are many groups who have been violated by racial and hate crimes but whose stories are not as well known or historically not well recorded in north america
I really hope they do an Pol Pot exhibit. I HIGHLY doubt anyone in North America knows that one

Old Posted Dec 29, 2011, 10:58 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

take it to pm's boys

Old Posted Jan 2, 2012, 11:27 PM
Robot Hand is the Future

Old Posted Jan 2, 2012, 11:31 PM
BANNED

http://blackrod.blogspot.com/2011/12...even-with.html

Another nice column, different point of view.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2012, 11:49 PM
BANNED

google 'Giant House of Death on the Prairie' -very interesting to see what others far away think of our museum.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2012, 2:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
http://blackrod.blogspot.com/2011/12...even-with.html

Another nice column, different point of view.
"Very" different......

Oh, and I Googled that, just to find a bunch of blogs. Blogs, where people can say whatever they want behind the curtain of the Internet, whether they believe what they say or not.

Last edited by RAFS; Jan 4, 2012 at 5:41 AM.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2012, 5:12 AM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc B. View Post
thanks...the comments kept me entertained all day...like throwing a dead cow in a pool of piraña.

check out this version i found....i guess it was translated into chinese and then back into english....pretty funny.

http://www.chinaantiques.com/china-a...s-with-a-cost/

Inspiration comes with a cost
Author: China Antiques

Winnipeg had a good year in 2011. The extensive fibre of certain county expansion headlines was recently interrupted, however,
by a proclamation that a Canadian Museum for Human Rights (CMHR) is confronting a poignant appropriation shortfall. This has
supposing fuel to a critics of what will perpetually be a argumentative building, though for many in a construction attention it is not a startling development.

Construction cost acceleration is a plea many projects in Manitoba have confronted in new years. The double-edged sword of high
expansion is as construction activity increases and contractors turn busier, rival behest and cost fortitude decrease. Over a past years,
Manitobas construction cost escalation has been as many as 3 times a acceleration rate.

Enlarge Image
Phil Hossack / Winnipeg Free Press archivesThe thespian pattern of a Canadian Museum for Human Rights ensures it will get beheld and bleed a reaction.

Compounding this sensitivity are tellurian increases in building element costs due to construction volume in rising countries. Since a CMHR began
fundraising in 2003, a cost of steel has quadrupled, with 45 per cent of tellurian expenditure occurring in China, that also consumes 50 per cent of a worlds cement.

With escalation of adult to half a commission per month, large-budget projects with extended timelines can be significantly influenced by
vacillating costs. The new airfield terminal, football track and Manitoba Hydros bureau building all met with identical mercantile challenges.

The bill shortfall of a CMHR is hapless though not odd for a formidable building of this type. The final dual inhabitant museums assembled
in Ottawa faced identical issues. The fight museum was 30 per cent over-budget, and a Museum of Civilization, Canadas most-visited
informative attraction, was some-more than 300 per cent over strange estimates.

To equivocate these cost overruns, a Alberta provincial supervision recently took a rare step of implementing a design-build routine for
a new Royal Alberta Museum in Edmonton. As with a CMHR, an general foe was held, though instead of being architect-led, proponents
were expansion teams compulsory to embody a guaranteed final cost with their submission.

The formula uncover even with a bill identical to that of a CMHR ($340 million), expelling a risk of cost overruns can come during a cost
for this form of project. Although many of a many gifted architects in North America were partial of a expansion teams, a 4 finalists and
a contingent winners were widely criticized for unexcited design. With cost increases to be engrossed by a executive and pricing formed
usually on schematic pattern drawings, risk was minimized by incorporating useful forms and predicted construction techniques. This
routine reduces taxpayer bearing to cost overruns, though many Albertans, including Premier Alison Redford, have publicly voiced regard over a results.

Antoine Predocks epitome watercolour images were selected as a pattern of a CMHR for their desirous vision, not for their palliate of construction.
It was accepted that bringing them to existence would be a challenge. The prerogative for holding that risk would be a building that is singular in a
world, with a intensity to renovate Winnipegs unexcited picture abroad and favour a new certainty within.

Critics of a CMHR customarily claim tourists will not come to Winnipeg to revisit such an emotionally severe museum. This disastrous preconception,
along with a geographic isolation, creates it needed a pattern be zero reduction than an moving and iconic form that hurdles people to try it further.
Some will adore and some will hatred it, though a thespian countenance ensures it will get beheld and, like a museum itself, bleed a reaction.

The mountainous volumes, a play of light and shade and a strenuous scale of a buildings pattern will kindle a abdominal greeting from those who
visit, environment a thespian context for a museums provocative content. Rising into a unconstrained Prairie sky in a Tower of Hope will be an
fortifying knowledge and a absolute crescendo to an romantic journey. The pattern is not simply a place to residence a experience, it is a experience.
A building any reduction sensitive would have usually invited failure.

Opponents of a CMHR mostly lamentation a governments financial involvement, though there is already clever justification that a museums purpose
as a matter for expansion will make it a good open investment in a prolonged term. A citys economy is fuelled by certainty and a CMHR is a vast
partial of Winnipegs new confidence. Hotel, grill and residential developments during The Forks, in St. Boniface and via downtown are commencement
to benefit substantial movement in expectation of a CMHR. As these projects pierce from a formulation stages into construction over a subsequent
few years, a mercantile and county advantages of a museum will turn publicly evident.

The CMHR reinforces Winnipegs repute as a artistic city of art and enlightenment and a adventurous form contributes to a flourishing open
appreciation for a singular architectural pattern that is transforming Winnipegs complicated county image.

The Sydney Opera House was 15 years late and 1,400 per cent over-budget, nonetheless few would tag it a boondoggle or white elephant. It
stands as an instance of what can be achieved when risks are taken. The CMHR binds a same transformative intensity for Winnipeg.

Esplanade Riel is currently a postcard picture of a city. Time has authorised a critics to forget their antithesis to a “extravagant supervision
waste” and “million-dollar toilet.” If a stream mercantile hurdles can be overcome, a Canadian Museum for Human Rights will be given a same event
to infer a value as a county idol and mercantile matter prolonged into a future.

Brent Bellamy is comparison pattern designer for Number Ten Architectural Group.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2012, 5:51 AM

Nice article viking, a good read

I understand the angle you're coming from, and that's the side I tend to agree with because too many times have I seen people or things get criticized to hell and back again, only to come out top in the end...its like some weird right of passage things need to take to become something more

there is logic in the criticism though, but I feel the CMHR is going to be very important just as you said. Sure you might have an "architectural" POV as people bashing your article on WFP site are saying, but they seem like people who would react negatively to everything. No vision. No nothing. No wonder they are concerned about their tax dollars haha.

Anyway, its being built, and will be built. They've gone this far, they won't let it sit as a white elephant. That statistic about the Sydney Opera House puts things into perspective, not to mention the comparison you made about what putting a cap on cost can do...clearly some people responding to your article didn't understand how construction costs work and how they rise regularly, but it is what it is.

That said, its good that others have differing views, because it allows for good discourse and alternate opinions - its only bad when everyone believes their version is correct and absolute, thus no room to consider alternate views.

I can understand their arguments, but overall I think the vision is the most important. And I think this is a bold vision and step for Winnipeg. Your article tried to put it very "A B C" but it still didn't reach everyone...

though I did think it was good, especially your overlying point.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2012, 2:30 PM
BANNED

Old Posted Jan 3, 2012, 4:42 PM

Back in my day, all the tinfoil hat conspiracy theorists had to content themselves with writing angry letters to the editor and, occasionally, building bombs in isolated cabins in the woods. What a marvelous world we now live in where every nut with an opinion can have a blog on the internet. Thankfully, few reasonable people mistake these blogs as journalism or 'fact'.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2012, 1:42 PM
ARTchitecture

What a crazy b*tch! lmao!

On another note... anyone got new pics? How is progress going on the glass installation?

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan