HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Apr 26, 2017, 8:45 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
I'm not really sure what more you could expect from a human rights museum and its exhibits.

You want some artifacts from Auschwitz? Residential school desks? Whips and chains? This isn't the museum of Natural History where they have endless animal carcasses on display.
The whole notion of a human rights museum was pretty far fetched to begin with and remember it morphed from what was originally going to be another kind of museum. Really don't get how you encapsulate human rights into displays and what they have done at the CMHR is pretty weak!

Old Posted Apr 26, 2017, 9:48 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
The whole notion of a human rights museum was pretty far fetched to begin with and remember it morphed from what was originally going to be another kind of museum. Really don't get how you encapsulate human rights into displays and what they have done at the CMHR is pretty weak!
Have you even walked the entire building ? Do you get the point of the long halls and ramps? It's to reflect between exhibits.
Have you even interacted with the exhibits? If not then you are missing the point. This isn't like a museum with artifacts. It's a modern museum that makes you interact with information. And information is power to getting the point across. Anyone can have some old exhibits of some barbed wire fences etc. But that isn't getting people involved.

Imo. This place is amazing and I'm glad we have it.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2017, 3:31 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote View Post
Have you even walked the entire building ? Do you get the point of the long halls and ramps? It's to reflect between exhibits.
Have you even interacted with the exhibits? If not then you are missing the point. This isn't like a museum with artifacts. It's a modern museum that makes you interact with information. And information is power to getting the point across. Anyone can have some old exhibits of some barbed wire fences etc. But that isn't getting people involved.

Imo. This place is amazing and I'm glad we have it.
They have this thing called the internet....

Old Posted Apr 27, 2017, 4:10 AM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Quote:
Translation: a hard no.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2017, 12:22 PM
Back from the dead

The cynics made up their minds years ago. Doesn't matter if it makes the city a better place or improves quality of life while educating people. No, what matters is that even though governments waste money all the time, they're not allowed to waste money on shit some people just don't like for their own reasons. Most of the rabid anti CMHR people are right on the fence about Holocaust denial but, meh...what else would we expect? I don't even know why we engage them considering it's done.

Personally, I would have been happy if it was built with loans and private donations paid for it in the end. Would have built it myself if I'd had the money. On the other hand, I guess I did pay for it. I suppose we all did. Good. At least I can see where my money is being wasted.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2017, 5:33 PM

People from outside the city have a better impression of the city, thats for sure.

It adds some level of spectacle, no matter how minor. Gives Winnipeg "something" to claim from a unique building perspective. It is pretty massive and tall from a Canadian perspective as a museum. I can't think of a single museum in Canada that reaches 100m in height.

Worth it or not, that debate will always happen - but it's been built, it's not going anywhere.

Might as well appreciate the positives, accept whatever the negatives may be, but overall respect what it stands for - the spirit of the message it stands for is important, it does add heft to the skyline in a part of downtown that is often forgotten to be a part of downtown, and it does - in my experience - add to the impression people are left with when visiting the city vs. before.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2017, 10:51 PM
BANNED

Quote:
So you haven't been to it then. Enjoy the internet.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2017, 4:28 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote View Post
So you haven't been to it then. Enjoy the internet.
As I already mentioned earlier in this thread I visited the CMHR and came away disappointed at how poor the exhibits really were (be honest, who isn't) !

Old Posted Apr 28, 2017, 2:23 PM

I have to admit that I wasn't visually excited about the building when it was first built, much like the Esplanade Riel bridge, but it has really grown on me. It truly is a great addition to the skyline.

No disrespect to the landscape architects in here but can someone explain to me why anyone would actually landscape around the building exterior like this on purpose??? I completely understand naturalized areas, and prairie grasses, etc... but this building/location/site is so high profile that it needs to look pristine. I kid you not that I had family in town from southern Ontario and they aske, and I quote "Why does the museum look abandoned from the outside?". This did not come from a snooty, upper class, Ontarian with a superiority complex, it came from a blue collar down to earth tourist whose impression of the city was negatively affected by some architect with a delusional vision that this landscaping is just what this prestigious beautiful site needed.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2017, 3:11 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

i actualy like that tall native grass's growing around it

it costs more to plant the prarie grass's like that and takes a chunk of maintinance that normal grass doesnt also takes 10yrs for it to get properly established with other prarie plants it can look run down but its natural and we should have more prarie plants on display in our city special a key location like this. if anything learn about these plants and teach them about the native plants and how the tall prarie grass's are endanger. learn about the context of what the design had with this type of landscaping as well
as someone who spent a couple summers working in and around prarie gardens theres a beaty to these plants and watching the banks of the red evolve from weeds of burdoc to more native plants slowly in the naturalization areas has been interesting.

Last edited by 1ajs; Apr 28, 2017 at 3:25 PM.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2017, 3:13 PM

Welcome to our completely naturalized prairie field with a large glass museum naturally rising out of the ground with the Manitoba Limestone exterior tactfully used so we could visualize and contemplate how it would be to walk around this area in centuries past, don't let the massive building coming out of nowhere distract you. At least we have foot high grasses here instead of well maintained green grass otherwise the illusion would be totally lost. Forget about the tourists who look at the place and assume its abandoned, they just don't get it.

https://www.google.ca/maps/@49.88978...7i13312!8i6656

Old Posted Apr 28, 2017, 3:14 PM

Spring is always such an awkward looking time when it comes to anything involving grass, plants and trees... I guess the grounds are destined to look kind of ugly at this time of year.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2017, 3:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Spring is always such an awkward looking time when it comes to anything involving grass, plants and trees... I guess the grounds are destined to look kind of ugly at this time of year.
That streetview is August

Old Posted Apr 28, 2017, 3:22 PM

^ I didn't look at your streetview link before posting that... I was thinking in general terms as to how everything looks around here in April.

But yes, looking at the link now, I can see what you mean. The grass is in that awkward in between stage where it's not tall enough to make it clearly obvious that it's meant to be that way. It kind of looks like the grounds crews are on strike. I wonder if the grass will eventually grow taller?

Old Posted Apr 28, 2017, 7:24 PM

Should hit 5-6 feet. Gonna look awesome.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2017, 4:17 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
i actualy like that tall native grass's growing around it

it costs more to plant the prarie grass's like that and takes a chunk of maintinance that normal grass doesnt also takes 10yrs for it to get properly established with other prarie plants it can look run down but its natural and we should have more prarie plants on display in our city special a key location like this. if anything learn about these plants and teach them about the native plants and how the tall prarie grass's are endanger. learn about the context of what the design had with this type of landscaping as well
as someone who spent a couple summers working in and around prarie gardens theres a beaty to these plants and watching the banks of the red evolve from weeds of burdoc to more native plants slowly in the naturalization areas has been interesting.
Thanks. Shelmerdine and Vertte and my own company spent a lot of time doing that so called prairie. The issue was working with the architect. They don't get what does grow and what doesn't. They just have a pretty picture and the want it to look like that.

It was one of my funniest jobs to work on being downtown like that. And even working with PCL was good. Just the architects were annoying as hell.

If I had my way it would have nice Oak trees and Aspen. Not Sioux poplars that cannot handle city pollution as you can see now.

Old Posted May 2, 2017, 6:04 AM

I like the CMHR and everything about it honestly. If I have one flaw with it, it's that it isn't really clear what the "main entrance" is. Both entrances are quite large, the accessible one appears to be more "grand" - but the main entrance is labelled "Group Entrance" and the first time I assumed that meant there was another general entrance and got confused.

Old Posted May 3, 2017, 9:15 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spocket View Post
Most of the rabid anti CMHR people are right on the fence about Holocaust denial but, meh...what else would we expect? I don't even know why we engage them considering it's done.
Wow.

Generalize much? Holocaust denial....really?

Old Posted Jun 23, 2017, 10:21 PM

some heads are going to explode in here when folks see the American take on our museum. freep

Old Posted Jun 23, 2017, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacheguy View Post
some heads are going to explode in here when folks see the American take on our museum. freep
Fantastic! Nice publicity for the CMHR.

http://www.10best.com/awards/travel/...action-canada/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan