HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Sep 15, 2017, 12:07 PM
Community Guy

Closing gala tonight is being hosted by CMHR. I have not been this excited to see a building in a long, long time.

www.twitter.com/ianoyeg

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Sep 15, 2017, 4:12 PM
Aspiring.

It's spectacular. Miles of alabaster...

Old Posted Sep 16, 2017, 8:45 PM
Community Guy

Old Posted Sep 18, 2017, 2:12 AM
Community Guy

Old Posted Sep 18, 2017, 4:44 PM

Is anyone else amazed that no one at the Free Press has made some huge deal about the fact that CMHR is already needing repairs? I'm amazed that they've been able to keep pretty quiet about it. Wondering if it's a design flaw that the engineers/builders are on the hook for?

Old Posted Sep 18, 2017, 5:00 PM

I asked the Twitter feed if it was design flaw and they replied:

"We've been monitoring and preparing for this work for a couple of years -- working collaboratively with design and construction partners."

Old Posted Sep 18, 2017, 5:02 PM

So it sounds like CMHR is on the hook for it?

Old Posted Sep 19, 2017, 6:37 PM

I heard an interesting story this weekend that I have no doubt is true. two German citizens immigrated to Vancouver several years ago. in travelling to Winnipeg they went through the CMHR, and were so taken with it that they decided to live here and relocated. made me feel proud of our city hearing this.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2017, 8:26 PM

as fast and secretly as the mysterious construction project has begun is how quickly and shadowy it is wrapping up and disappearing! whole west side is almost clear of scaffolding and appears to be repaired.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2017, 8:36 PM

Maybe it's just warranty work.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2017, 9:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacheguy View Post
I heard an interesting story this weekend that I have no doubt is true. two German citizens immigrated to Vancouver several years ago. in travelling to Winnipeg they went through the CMHR, and were so taken with it that they decided to live here and relocated. made me feel proud of our city hearing this.
We have a lot of neat things that surprise outsiders, and perhaps we could value what we have better...

But damn, I wouldn't leave Vancouver for Winnipeg. Again, at least...

Quote:
Originally Posted by plrh View Post
Maybe it's just warranty work.
In all likelihood... nobody should get all twisted about it yet.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2017, 11:21 PM

I could never handle the rain in Vancouver. I hate rain.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2017, 12:01 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacheguy View Post
I'm sure it has nothing to do with the outrageous cost of housing in the Vancouver metro where even a $ million won't get you much!

Old Posted Sep 20, 2017, 4:35 AM

...It's not like Germany is a bargain. Probably one of the most expensive places to live on mainland Europe, if you're in the cities.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2017, 4:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
I could never handle the rain in Vancouver. I hate rain.
I would gladly get drenched every day lol. Love that city.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
I'm sure it has nothing to do with the outrageous cost of housing in the Vancouver metro where even a $ million won't get you much!
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
...It's not like Germany is a bargain. Probably one of the most expensive places to live on mainland Europe, if you're in the cities.
Both points are somewhat moot. Yes, Vancouver is expensive, and yes, so is Germany, but North America and Australia are the only cultures that place any significant value in owning large properties and big detached homes.

What's small for us is easily large enough for most Germans, and thus a) cheaper in vancouver than what we would "want" to live in, but also b) cheaper than a larger condo back in Germany, for example.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2017, 8:49 PM

Real nice looking building will have to visit it next time in Winnipeg.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2017, 9:02 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

makeing repairs to the cmhr as needed is good to see no one realy does this it seems very much

Old Posted Nov 13, 2017, 4:45 PM
BANNED

Becoming a white elephant sooner than expected

The number of people walking through the doors of the Canadian Museum for Human Rights continues to drop, falling another 7.8% in the first half of 2017-18 compared to the same period the year before.

Not even the influx of visitors and athletes to Winnipeg from this year’s Canada Games, held from July 28 to Aug. 13, was enough to bolster sagging numbers at the museum.

From April 1 to Sept. 30, the CMHR attracted a total of 178,752 people, including paying and non-paying visitors, as well as those purchasing rental space at the facility or visiting the museum’s gift shop or restaurant. That’s down from 193,907 visitors for the same period last year.

It’s the second year in a row that visitation numbers have fallen at the museum. Total visitors at the CMHR were 203,666 in the first half of 2015-16 – the museum’s first full year of operation after it opened in September 2014. That translates into a 12.2% drop in the first half of this year compared to the first half of 2015-16.

Trying to do apples-to-apples comparison of CMHR admission numbers continues to be a struggle. Museum brass change how the numbers are presented not only from year to year, but even from quarter to quarter.

For example, the museum had, until this year, separated out the number of paying and non-paying admissions. Not all people who visit the museum are paying customers. And not all of them are even visiting the museum’s galleries. Yet they’re all included as museum patrons when the facility releases its official admission numbers.

For the first time this year, the museum is no longer separating out its paying and non-paying ticketed admission. They’ve lumped them together, making it impossible to compare paid ticketed admission with non-paying ones. The only caveat is they provided one figure in a footnote that shows the number of complimentary admissions for free admission nights (the first Wednesday of every month), but no figures for other free admissions, including Indigenous visitors, kids under 7, Cultural Access Pass visitors, familiarization tours and other selected freebies. I suspect they’ve lumped them together because they don’t want the public to know the extent to which they’re bleeding paying customers.

in April that the number of paying visitors at the museum dropped by 8.8% in 2016-17 compared to the year before. Since then, the museum stopped releasing the number of paid ticketed admissions.
In its second-quarter admissions release, the museum lists 49,488 individual admissions under the heading of “paid ticketed admission,” yet a footnote says the number includes non-paying admissions. Go figure.

The reality is, once you take out the free admissions, subtract the people who visit the gift shop or restaurant but who don’t visit the galleries, and exclude the number of people renting one of the halls that compete with similar halls already available in the private sector, there’s not much left. The museum does its level best to try to hide that reality. The number of people visiting this place is dwindling. But CMHR officials don’t widely advertise that fact.

http://winnipegsun.com/opinion/colum...-rights-museum

Old Posted Nov 13, 2017, 6:00 PM
jammon member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
Becoming a white elephant sooner than expected

The number of people walking through the doors of the Canadian Museum for Human Rights continues to drop, falling another 7.8% in the first half of 2017-18 compared to the same period the year before.

Not even the influx of visitors and athletes to Winnipeg from this year’s Canada Games, held from July 28 to Aug. 13, was enough to bolster sagging numbers at the museum.

From April 1 to Sept. 30, the CMHR attracted a total of 178,752 people, including paying and non-paying visitors, as well as those purchasing rental space at the facility or visiting the museum’s gift shop or restaurant. That’s down from 193,907 visitors for the same period last year.

It’s the second year in a row that visitation numbers have fallen at the museum. Total visitors at the CMHR were 203,666 in the first half of 2015-16 – the museum’s first full year of operation after it opened in September 2014. That translates into a 12.2% drop in the first half of this year compared to the first half of 2015-16.

Trying to do apples-to-apples comparison of CMHR admission numbers continues to be a struggle. Museum brass change how the numbers are presented not only from year to year, but even from quarter to quarter.

For example, the museum had, until this year, separated out the number of paying and non-paying admissions. Not all people who visit the museum are paying customers. And not all of them are even visiting the museum’s galleries. Yet they’re all included as museum patrons when the facility releases its official admission numbers.

For the first time this year, the museum is no longer separating out its paying and non-paying ticketed admission. They’ve lumped them together, making it impossible to compare paid ticketed admission with non-paying ones. The only caveat is they provided one figure in a footnote that shows the number of complimentary admissions for free admission nights (the first Wednesday of every month), but no figures for other free admissions, including Indigenous visitors, kids under 7, Cultural Access Pass visitors, familiarization tours and other selected freebies. I suspect they’ve lumped them together because they don’t want the public to know the extent to which they’re bleeding paying customers.

in April that the number of paying visitors at the museum dropped by 8.8% in 2016-17 compared to the year before. Since then, the museum stopped releasing the number of paid ticketed admissions.
In its second-quarter admissions release, the museum lists 49,488 individual admissions under the heading of “paid ticketed admission,” yet a footnote says the number includes non-paying admissions. Go figure.

The reality is, once you take out the free admissions, subtract the people who visit the gift shop or restaurant but who don’t visit the galleries, and exclude the number of people renting one of the halls that compete with similar halls already available in the private sector, there’s not much left. The museum does its level best to try to hide that reality. The number of people visiting this place is dwindling. But CMHR officials don’t widely advertise that fact.

http://winnipegsun.com/opinion/colum...-rights-museum
Sad, but I tend to agree. I've been twice, but now without any new exhibits, there really isn't any reason to go. To make this museum viable, they need to do exhibit changes every two years. The theme and concept alone isn't enough to attract people and now they really need to start reinventing themselves to attract the locals.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2017, 3:06 PM

I see the sun issued a correction and an apology. attendance actually increased over the first six months of the year. I'm sure the critics were just about to mention that.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan