HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Dec 5, 2017, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskatoonborn View Post
Unfortunately that got seriously downsized. It is now the World Trade Center Saskatoon project. Supposedly it is supposed to start in the spring but they said that about the summer... and then the fall so honestly I don't think it is going to happen anytime soon. There is also a 2nd phase to it which may be eventually another, hopefully taller, tower but it is slated to be an at grade paved parking lot for now.
North Prairie proposed World Trade Center to see what tenants River Landing’s project was getting since those tenants would definitely rate shop. All they’re trying to do is steal tenants, definitely only one or the other is going up.. if you think about it, Don Atchison semi helped get River Landing started, and if anything now he is stalling it working with North Prairie’s mediocre plans.. how messed up is that. They’re not idiots with the timeline over at North Prairie, they knew they weren’t starting construction in the summer, or in the fall, or maybe ever... they just have so much cheap and ugly empty commercial waiting to be occupied in Stonebridge that they’re using this to get more exposure and advertising...

Old Posted Dec 5, 2017, 4:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskatoonborn View Post
Unfortunately that got seriously downsized. It is now the World Trade Center Saskatoon project. Supposedly it is supposed to start in the spring but they said that about the summer... and then the fall so honestly I don't think it is going to happen anytime soon. There is also a 2nd phase to it which may be eventually another, hopefully taller, tower but it is slated to be an at grade paved parking lot for now.
Donut don atch is preparing the donut order for the crew lol.
Just kidding... but yeah when is this starting

Old Posted Dec 5, 2017, 4:23 PM

Im still optimistic that parcel D/E will be the first tower here to crack 100m. It says up to 30 storeys, i believe we will get it.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2017, 6:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchellk12 View Post
Im still optimistic that parcel D/E will be the first tower here to crack 100m. It says up to 30 storeys, i believe we will get it.
Well, a tower of that size in that spot would sure look good when driving across the Sid Buckwold Bridge into the downtown.

Considering how quickly the units were snapped up at No. 1 River Landing, one wonders if parcel D/E is seriously on the radar of developers now. The views from a condo tower on parcel D/E would equal the spectacular views from No. 1 River Landing, in my opinion.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2017, 6:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutopian View Post
Well, a tower of that size in that spot would sure look good when driving across the Sid Buckwold Bridge into the downtown.

Considering how quickly the units were snapped up at No. 1 River Landing, one wonders if parcel D/E is seriously on the radar of developers now. The views from a condo tower on parcel D/E would equal the spectacular views from No. 1 River Landing, in my opinion.
I think that parcel along with BB are the prime ones. If i were a developer...after witnessing No1, id be on the citys butt on locking up that lot and building something yesterday. Then go after 22nd/idylwild...corner across of chiantis. Big big lots with oppurtunity.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2017, 1:58 AM

Dec. 6 2017 Pics

^^^^ Red crane after jacking. Metal studs going onto the lower hotel floors.

^^^^ The crane looks a little crooked to me. May just be an optical illusion.

^^^^ Note the platform constructed around the north east fifth floor condo column. This is the same column that I earlier mentioned had tarp around it. There must be a problem with it. Its a bit surprising to me that the buildings are butted up against each other like they are, given that from what I can tell they are completely independent structurally.

^^^^ Its hard to tell for sure but it looks to me like the diameter of the 11th floor columns is less that that on the lower floors.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2017, 12:08 AM

Dec. 8, 2017

Normally I am not a fan of randomly placed windows and other elements. But in this case it looks OK to me. I think the large window size helps. The window size and placement appears to very closely match the most recent hotel rendering in this thread.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2017, 3:53 PM

When this project first started it seemed liked the condo had quite a big jump on the hotel but it looks like it has caught up and maybe moving ahead? Different construction or maybe time frame to get it finished. That column on the 11th floor does look smaller.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2017, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bess View Post
That column on the 11th floor does look smaller.
Probably is smaller. Doesn’t need to carry as much load as those below. Also the compressive strength of the concrete in the columns is typically higher in the lower floor columns than in the upper floor columns.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2017, 12:49 AM

Dec 13 2017 pics...

^^^^ Working on the hotel 11th floor and condo 13th floor.

^^^^ Looks like the crane will be jacked up by 5 segments.

^^^^ I don't really care for the windowless portions of the east side of the hotel. Of course if would not be good to have condo and hotel windows practically facing each other.

It looks to me like they have removed some of the scaffolding stairs on the south side of the condo.

Although I did not get a picture, shoring work continues for the office tower. They are still drilling. No digging yet, although an excavator has appeared on site.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2017, 8:28 PM

Nice pics Alt, is the shoring contractor the same as the last ones for the condo/hotel job?

Old Posted Dec 15, 2017, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Nice pics Alt, is the shoring contractor the same as the last ones for the condo/hotel job?
I don't know who is doing the shoring, but I will look for that info next time I go past. Other people on this thread might have more info (and/or a better memory) than me. I know that Stuart Olson was the general contractor for the condo parkade and I don't think they are doing any more work at the site.

That does remind me though... last spring I was talking to one of the foremen doing the shoring for the condo parkade. He said that this was the "first time ever" shotcrete was used in a project in Saskatoon, and that they had to bring in equipment and crews from Edmonton to do it. I have no idea if that's actually true.

When I went past today it looked to me like they were just finishing the 13th floor pour. They were cleaning the mobile concrete pump (it can be seen in the left part of the picture below). They were lifting a couple buckets of concrete up with the crane. Maybe the pump could not reach the whole area? (I would have liked to see the pump in use). Either that or they were just starting the pour.

A couple of other notes:

- I went back in this thread and checked the hotel renderings. They show a recessed balcony on the east side of the hotel where the center "core" is (its a stairway... the elevators are on the south side).

- They are definitely removing the scaffold staircase from the south side of the condo.

- They are excavating along the east side of condo parkade... right where they just finished backfilling (I did not get a picture). I wonder if there is a problem?

Dec. 14 2017:

Last edited by alt_center; Dec 15, 2017 at 1:03 AM. Reason: fix spelling mistake

Old Posted Dec 15, 2017, 3:49 AM

Quote:
I believe they are different. Doublestar Drilling did the condo/hotel while the rig and company trucks currently on the office tower site are from another company.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2017, 4:08 AM

Kichton Contracting is the shoring and excavation contractor for the East Tower.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2017, 4:01 PM

The East Tower deserves a different thread in my opinion.

Shot Crete is done quite a bit, although not typically for Parkade walls. Lots of mines, pools, and sewer work utilize shotcrete. There isn’t enough work in sask for a shotcrete Wall company.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2017, 4:23 PM

Looks like the grey crane is getting jacked up. Saw the jacking rig being raised as i was at the farmers market this morning.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2017, 5:48 PM

How is it that these towers are so far along in construction and yet we still don’t have official tower heights?

Old Posted Dec 16, 2017, 11:18 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

loolks nice from across the river

Old Posted Dec 17, 2017, 3:54 AM

not sure what the height is, they changed both the hotel and condo at least once already. hotel went down a couple of floors and the condo went up 4 floors, the office was reported as being either 12 or 13 floors, so moderators probably would get annoyed changing it all the time.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2017, 4:33 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan