HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jul 7, 2018, 4:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Ralph View Post
Sorry, there's a small market for this type of office space - public companies, large law/accounting firms, etc. It does not include businesses with suburban offices. If they make any move, it will be to the Stonebridge business park.
Apologies, completely forgot your knowledge and financial risk is smarter than the developers that have a team behind them and not just a keyboard in front of them.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2018, 5:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisis View Post
I'm pretty sure that the "wave" shown in the rendering on page 4 of that document is just some artistic licence.

To the best of my knowledge (though I may be proven wrong) the current design for the North Tower is basically a taller version of the East Tower. It will have sloping north & south walls created by the "sliding" offset floor plates, like the East Tower. The east and west side walls will have two offsets (jogs) in them but will otherwise be will be flat & plumb.
All that you say is true, and the floor plates themselves will not wave to the East or West like wheat...just think of it as window dressing and check out the other renders. The buildings work together. They've done a fine job, as long as the windows aren't too clear, or else you'll get birds dropping like flies, hitting their heads as they're going for highs.

Last edited by Ricopedra; Jul 7, 2018 at 5:43 PM.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2018, 5:40 PM

king r talks about there being only a small market for this office space, but you can get into this development at about 3500sq feet, just twice the size of a house in Stonebridge. That's a positive. A few dentists, a small company, a lawyer and his friends. These guys could legitimately open an office in this complex...Please don't feed the troll!

Last edited by Ricopedra; Jul 9, 2018 at 4:28 PM.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2018, 9:11 PM

Don't think birds are a concern. The towers are less than 100m after all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricopedra View Post
All that you say is true, and the floor plates themselves will not wave to the East or West like wheat...just think of it as window dressing and check out the other renders. The buildings work together. They've done a fine job, as long as the windows aren't too clear, or else you'll get birds dropping like flies, hitting their heads as they're going for highs.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2018, 12:39 AM

I think Ralphy boy has taken a sour grape pill. Possibly A Regina transplant wishing he was home?

Old Posted Jul 8, 2018, 1:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalreg View Post
I think Ralphy boy has taken a sour grape pill. Possibly A Regina transplant wishing he was home?
No I would lay bets that he is an Alberta boy likely from Calgary who has maybe only been to Saskatoon once or twice to visit family. He thinks there is no better place on earth than Calgary which to be fair is a pretty awesome place. He is angry that Nutrien isn't moving their entire operation to Calgary and fill up some of the dead space in those office towers. He is trying to be a downer because of it not realizing that this is the first new tallest building in almost 40 years for our city and we have a right to be a little excited for it. Maybe he is being forced to move or a good friend because of it idk.

His first post ever has been on this thread and and most posts since if not all I haven't cared to look too hard in to this. Also King Ralph is likely a reference to Ralph Klein the Premier of Alberta from 1992 to 2006 and was mayor of Calgary too from 1980 to 1989. I have definately met a few people exactly like this in my travels to Alberta and in university. He doesnt have to like Saskatoon or River landing or anything, he wont change his mind and we shouldnt care. Maybe he will be right in the end but there are a lot of people here hoping hes wrong, time will tell.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2018, 5:42 PM

^^ you are probably right on all counts. I for one hate when people want to Debbie-downer on Saskatoon, I think the city has a lot going for it.
There is a noticeable palpable difference between S'toon & Regina though. Regina has had by-laws encouraging office space in it's downtown, on the other hand Saskatoon has been doing the opposite for decades, restricting office construction downtown with height restrictions & forcing by-laws for street level conditions to buildings & forcing companies like Cameco to build it's office building in suburb etc.
Even Saskatoon's latest built high rise hotels are esthetically exceptionally ugly ie Holiday Inn downtown & Staybridge Suites on College Dr. Saskatoon is getting easily eclipsed by cities like Kelowna which is building high rises twice the height of anything in Saskatoon.
There's also a lot of nimby's in Saskatoon blocking projects like Market Mall high rise project & the one on University Dr.
Saskatoon has taken a lot of missed steps in its high rise construction. Just the fact alone that people talk about bird hits on glass of highrise buildings in Saskatoon. Saskatoon doesn't really have anything with glass facade highrise so people are scared. People in Calgary, Edmonton & Regina don't mention this with their glass towers.
It's just now that Saskatoon is finally taking baby steps in projects like Riverlanding to make amends of decades of encouraging urban sprawl.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2018, 9:13 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaskScraper View Post
Saskatoon doesn't really have anything with glass facade highrise so people are scared. People in Calgary, Edmonton & Regina don't mention this with their glass towers.
Winnipeg also has glass towers.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2018, 2:38 PM

HAHAHA you guys are hilarious, great to see members from other cities taking an interest in our construction.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2018, 4:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaskScraper View Post
^^ you are probably right on all counts. I for one hate when people want to Debbie-downer on Saskatoon, I think the city has a lot going for it.
There is a noticeable palpable difference between S'toon & Regina though. Regina has had by-laws encouraging office space in it's downtown, on the other hand Saskatoon has been doing the opposite for decades, restricting office construction downtown with height restrictions & forcing by-laws for street level conditions to buildings & forcing companies like Cameco to build it's office building in suburb etc.
Even Saskatoon's latest built high rise hotels are esthetically exceptionally ugly ie Holiday Inn downtown & Staybridge Suites on College Dr. Saskatoon is getting easily eclipsed by cities like Kelowna which is building high rises twice the height of anything in Saskatoon.
There's also a lot of nimby's in Saskatoon blocking projects like Market Mall high rise project & the one on University Dr.
Saskatoon has taken a lot of missed steps in its high rise construction. Just the fact alone that people talk about bird hits on glass of highrise buildings in Saskatoon. Saskatoon doesn't really have anything with glass facade highrise so people are scared. People in Calgary, Edmonton & Regina don't mention this with their glass towers.
It's just now that Saskatoon is finally taking baby steps in projects like Riverlanding to make amends of decades of encouraging urban sprawl.
While I agree with your desire to see more highrise construction in downtown Saskatoon, I still think the overall driver is the private sector and their desire, or lack thereof, for downtown space. There is no doubt that Saskatoon bylaws and zoning that allow widespread suburban office construction have impacted the development of downtown highrises, but it goes beyond simply that.

Cameco's low profile location out on 11st street was their own desire. It dates back to the days of Eldorado Nuclear before becoming Cameco. At that time, not only nuclear power, but also uranium mining, was very controversial and the company wanted to keep a very low profile and not attract protesters. During subsequent renovations and additions to that building, security concerns even impacted landscaping design with a desire to not have any "hiding places" in the planting near the building. As well, they also had their marshalling yard there for servicing the mines and that location allowed them to consolidate operations in one location.

As for the proposed Market Mall condo development, the lack of progress on that was purely economics. The project simply didn't pencil out. While there were NIMBYs objecting to the development, they didn't factor into the decision. And the University Drive project is proceeding over objections of some local residents.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2018, 4:52 PM

One last comment on the glass windows. It's just that clear or reflective glass disorients birds. It has nothing to do with the height of the building, ralphy. I was sitting in a kfc in Kindersley and a sparrow bonked his beak off the clear-plate glass, broke its neck and flopped on the ground for a bit before expiring. There are windows developed using bird-safe glass. People in other cities haven't mentioned it much as nobody ever cared until recently, with the bodies piling up outside, people are talking. Now architects have begun to think about their options. I hope the glass they use on these office towers has at least a tint to it. I don't think anyone is scared of high-rises or glass, it's just to put some thought into it. (They used to build cars with only lap-belts.) I think the glass on the condo and hotel is looking good! Cheers!

https://thewalrus.ca/our-obsession-w...killing-birds/

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/...-united-states

Last edited by Ricopedra; Jul 9, 2018 at 8:23 PM.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2018, 3:13 PM

Maybe TD bank will take some space in east tower now that they bought Greystone. Looks like Greystone itself will stay in Regina.

https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/td-bank-...792m-1.1105444

Old Posted Jul 10, 2018, 6:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bess View Post
Maybe TD bank will take some space in east tower now that they bought Greystone. Looks like Greystone itself will stay in Regina.

https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/td-bank-...792m-1.1105444
Weird enough they weren't even in downtown Regina. Assuming if they have any analysts in Regina even though they already have Toronto offices they'll all be moving over to TD's office in Toronto to keep competitive with financial hiring. Our two sask business colleges will never be competitive enough with Toronto's financial culture. Even Sauder Biz College in Vancouver can't compete with Toronto's Bay street culture. The sales staff will stay put as this doesn't shift their portfolios much so a small amount of analysts will move to Toronto or be lost through attrition. Most wealth offices only have sales and admin staff to start in smaller centers like Regina and Saskatoon.

On a side note - Scotiabank is currently doing a large renovation to their 2nd ave retail branch. This leaves TD with the oldest unrenovated branch downtown. Their lobby still smells of cigarettes from the 90's haha! With TD Wealth in Saskatoon Square and their Commercial in their ancient 2nd ave building - could be a good opportunity not to add staff space, but just move into a new shinny building...

Old Posted Jul 10, 2018, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisis View Post
While I agree with your desire to see more highrise construction in downtown Saskatoon, I still think the overall driver is the private sector and their desire, or lack thereof, for downtown space. There is no doubt that Saskatoon bylaws and zoning that allow widespread suburban office construction have impacted the development of downtown highrises, but it goes beyond simply that.

Cameco's low profile location out on 11st street was their own desire. It dates back to the days of Eldorado Nuclear before becoming Cameco. At that time, not only nuclear power, but also uranium mining, was very controversial and the company wanted to keep a very low profile and not attract protesters. During subsequent renovations and additions to that building, security concerns even impacted landscaping design with a desire to not have any "hiding places" in the planting near the building. As well, they also had their marshalling yard there for servicing the mines and that location allowed them to consolidate operations in one location.

As for the proposed Market Mall condo development, the lack of progress on that was purely economics. The project simply didn't pencil out. While there were NIMBYs objecting to the development, they didn't factor into the decision. And the University Drive project is proceeding over objections of some local residents.
...University Drive project is no longer a highrise project since being reduced to half it's original proposed height.

Here's a good read on a developers prospective in trying to build in Saskatoon.

Saskatoon's Stagnating Skyline

http://www.riversdale.ca/news-post?hid=71

Quote:
Victoria developer Chris Le Fevre of Vancouver ranks the effort needed to get his urban-renewal residential project (The Banks) in Riversdale off the ground as the most difficult in his career.

Le Fevre also says he's already seeing a levelling off in the "greatly inflated sense" of what both professionals and tradespeople could charge for their services in the booming provincial economy now that the climate has cooled with the drop in oil prices.

As recently as a year ago (in 2014), Le Fevre says some in Saskatoon were charging an "absurd" 400 per cent of what was being charged in Vancouver for the same services.

"It frightened the hell out of me at the time," he says, recalling that a local structural engineering firm tried to charge him 470 per cent more for the same work than a Vancouver firm had estimated...

...Uranium giant Cameco Corp. considered building an impressive signature 25-storey office tower on 21st Street across from the Bessborough Hotel, but shelved the plan in 2008 in favour of expanding its office on 11th Street and maintaining satellite offices throughout the city.

That choice might not have happened in Regina, which has regulations that limit the amount of office development that can happen in suburban areas if it comes at the expense of office space downtown. 'Free market' "We don't have that in Saskatoon," McClocklin says. "It's a very free market."

...Saskatoon has not added a new building of more than 20 storeys since the Hallmark Place apartment building (79.2 metres) in 1984. In that same time frame, Regina has added four buildings with at least 20 storeys, including Saskatchewan's tallest building - the 20-storey, 84.5-metre Mosaic Potash Tower in 2013.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2018, 12:35 AM

University Drive was never a high-rise project.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2018, 1:17 AM

July 11 2018 Pictures:

^^^^ They have started installing balcony railings on what looks like the 13th and 14th floors.

^^^^ Some glass going onto the 2nd floor of the hotel.

^^^^ They were just finishing up a large pour when I went past around 5:30 PM.

^^^^ The concrete has weird patterns in it. It almost looks to me like they started to pour the slab earlier and did not finish due to the rain, and finished today (I had not been past there for a few days). Some parts look dry already yet they were smoothing the slab along its "south" edge.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2018, 8:03 PM

Thanks for the update, alt_center! In your first parkade pick, it looks like they've drawn a line in the cement on the left hand side, bottom wall, and there's probably one on the far right-hand side in the shade. These are probably the punch-out points for when they create one large parkade. Obviously it's not a Japanese paper wall, they'll be cutting through the rebar! Looking forward to ground level and beyond!

Any estimates on ground level?...

Old Posted Jul 13, 2018, 4:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricopedra View Post
Thanks for the update, alt_center! In your first parkade pick, it looks like they've drawn a line in the cement on the left hand side, bottom wall, and there's probably one on the far right-hand side in the shade. These are probably the punch-out points for when they create one large parkade. Obviously it's not a Japanese paper wall, they'll be cutting through the rebar! Looking forward to ground level and beyond!

Any estimates on ground level?...
Nice catch on the concrete "outline". I didn't notice them yesterday, so I tried to look at them when I went by today. Its very hard to see in person. To me, they look like they could be grooves in the concrete to give them a "nice edge" when they eventually cut through the wall. Or maybe its a "cut here" indicator?? I can tell you, and it can be seen in the photos, that there is a ton of rebar in those walls!

Right now they have poured about half the third floor. I'd estimate they are approx. half done the parkade (if one includes the parkade "5th" floor, i.e., the office ground floor). Reviewing this thread, it looks like they started pouring concrete around May 1. If the current rate continues, that would put completion of the ground level into the second half of Sepember.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2018, 12:41 AM

July 19, 2018 Pictures

^^^^ More balcony railings and glass installed on upper floors.

^^^^ Some black siding starting to appear on hotel

^^^^ Forming starting for 4th parking floor (at south end of parkade)

^^^^ Backfilling continues... I could not get a better angle of this today.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2018, 4:43 AM

The black trim on the hotel and condo is looking gorgeous. I think King Ralph would even agree with that!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan