HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Mar 18, 2019, 9:31 PM

Rural and non-metropolitan gentrification in Canada

What smaller cities and rural areas are seeing gentrification in Canada?

Old Posted Mar 18, 2019, 9:37 PM

Prince Edward County in SE Ontario.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2019, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acottawa View Post
Prince Edward County in SE Ontario.
Big time. I was going to add "unfortunately", but it has its good and bad aspects.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2019, 10:28 PM
ハルウララ

I'd offer Kent County in New Brunswick. It's steadily moving away from being a rural Francophone area to a commuter Anglophone area for Moncton. I find the area is being targeted by American and Anglo-Canadian migrants as an easy rural living place within a stone's throw of the province's largest city. It probably doesn't fit OP's idea of gentrification but the area as a whole is changing steadily over time.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2019, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
I'd offer Kent County in New Brunswick. It's steadily moving away from being a rural Francophone area to a commuter Anglophone area for Moncton. I find the area is being targeted by American and Anglo-Canadian migrants as an easy rural living place within a stone's throw of the province's largest city. It probably doesn't fit OP's idea of gentrification but the area as a whole is changing steadily over time.
I know several couples who have moved from S ON to the area around Cocagne. Cheap ownership, close to the water.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2019, 11:43 PM
Aimless Wanderer

The Muskoka Towns of Gravenhurst, Bracebridge and Huntsville. Parry Sound, too.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2019, 12:13 AM

In Northern Ontario, the only place that comes to mind is Elliot Lake but definitely not on a huge scale. It has been done mainly for the purposes of attracting retirees and also because of the shopping mall collapse. But nothing like you'd see in Southern Ontario.

The only other places here where it might be happening a tiny bit are other places with tourism and also wanting to attract retirees. Maybe Kenora, a few towns on Manitoulin Island.

Northern Ontario isn't a place where you find "cute towns." Not our thing.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2019, 12:32 AM
Montérégien

In Québec, what comes to mind :
  • Some areas of Charlevoix (Baie-Saint-Paul, Saint-Irénée, Les Éboulements, Petite-Rivière-Saint-François, Port-au-Persil)
  • Kamouraska / Saint-André
  • Laurentian corridor (St-Sauveur, Ste-Adèle, Val-David, Saint-Adolphe-d'Howard...) + Mont-Tremblant / Saint-Faustin-Lac-Carré
  • Cantons-de-l'Est (Eastern Townships) around lake Memphrémagog // The Brome-Missisquoi area : lake Brome, Bromont, Dunham, Sutton, Frelighsburg and Saint-Armand
  • Montérégie / Vallée-du-Richelieu : Saint-Antoine-sur-Richelieu, Calixa-Lavallée, Saint-Charles-sur-Richelieu, Saint-Marc-sur-Richelieu...
  • Southern Montérégie : Havelock and the Covey Hill area
  • Orléans island except the village of Saint-Pierre
  • South Shore of Québec, outside of Lévis : Lotbinière, Saint-Antoine-de-Tilly, Beaumont, Saint-Michel-de-Bellechasse...
  • The list could go on...

These regions, villages and towns are all developing a comprehensive touristic offer, centered around culture, heritage and quality of life. They accomodate a fair number of neocountry dwellers every year...

Old Posted Mar 19, 2019, 1:04 AM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loco101 View Post

The only other places here where it might be happening a tiny bit are other places with tourism and also wanting to attract retirees. Maybe Kenora, a few towns on Manitoulin Island.

Northern Ontario isn't a place where you find "cute towns." Not our thing.
A partial exception to that would be Richards Landing, which is pretty cute and lightly gentrified by the thousands of mostly well-to-do summer residents in the vicinity from southern Ontario and the USA. I haven't been over to Manitoulin in years but I do hear more and more about it from Toronto people so I imagine they'll eventually do to it what they've done to Prince Edward County.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2019, 3:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
A partial exception to that would be Richards Landing, which is pretty cute and lightly gentrified by the thousands of mostly well-to-do summer residents in the vicinity from southern Ontario and the USA. I haven't been over to Manitoulin in years but I do hear more and more about it from Toronto people so I imagine they'll eventually do to it what they've done to Prince Edward County.
Yes, you are right about Richards Landing! It looks more like a town in Southern Ontario. So many Southern characteristics. Banners with maple leaves on them. Maple leaf flags on many businesses and houses. And lots of houses with flags and many with flag poles. Very anglophone (or should I say very British-Canadian) and protestant. Independent shops and grocery store. A lot of people there vote conservative.

And look what flag this house has flying below the maple leaf. It's also on St. Joseph Island but in Hilton Beach.
https://goo.gl/maps/VfGi8SRZfzS2

Last edited by Loco101; Mar 19, 2019 at 3:44 AM.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2019, 5:10 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loco101 View Post
Yes, you are right about Richards Landing! It looks more like a town in Southern Ontario. So many Southern characteristics. Banners with maple leaves on them. Maple leaf flags on many businesses and houses. And lots of houses with flags and many with flag poles. Very anglophone (or should I say very British-Canadian) and protestant. Independent shops and grocery store. A lot of people there vote conservative.

And look what flag this house has flying below the maple leaf. It's also on St. Joseph Island but in Hilton Beach.
https://goo.gl/maps/VfGi8SRZfzS2
Well a large proportion of St Joe Island’s summer population is American and always has been. The permanent settlers of the area, such as my family, mainly came from loyalist eastern Ontario near Ottawa and Cornwall. It was virtually the last piece of prime agricultural land to be taken up in Ontario, I’d imagine. The flags are partly a response to all the Stars and Stripes flags that one sees across the channel. Often when you’re out in a boat, the flags are about the only way to be sure which country you’re looking at.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2019, 1:05 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Any place that has inflated real estate prices, every bit of rural or semi rural area within one hour's drive of Vancouver.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2019, 1:31 AM

Collingwood/the Blue Mountains and Niagara-on-the-Lake are obvious examples.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2019, 2:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docere View Post
Collingwood/the Blue Mountains and Niagara-on-the-Lake are obvious examples.
I would have said that Niagara-on-the-Lake gentrified decades ago.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2019, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
I would have said that Niagara-on-the-Lake gentrified decades ago.
True.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2019, 1:47 AM

Penetang has undertaken a major project to revitalize their downtown. Impressive given that it's only a town of 9,000. Well, a little bigger during cottage season. I couldn't believe it when I went into town to get groceries last summer and encountered ROAD CLOSED for construction signs. Thought I was in the GTA for a second.

Their Main Street has a nice setting as it slopes down toward Penetang Harbour, but the existing DT is hardly an attraction for locals and cottagers alike. Would love to see that change and be more like a few other cottage towns where it is a charming place to visit.

Would post some renderings but they all look like they were done on MS Paint.

https://twitter.com/penetanguishene/...34284689477633

Old Posted Mar 19, 2019, 1:12 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Not Hanna, Alberta, despite Nickelback.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2019, 1:28 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

I'm not sure if gentrification is the best descriptor for what's happening here. Basically, interior towns along the TCH are growing at the expense of coastal communities (for example, people moving from the Connaigre Peninsula to Bishop's Falls, or people moving from the Northwest Avalon Peninsula to Bay Roberts, or from the Bonavista Peninsula to Clarenville, or the Great Northern Peninsula to Deer Lake, etc.)

It's all cookie-cutter subdivisions and big box areas. The closest they get to urbanity is a stroad and the people moving in aren't different from or replacing those already there, they're just increasing the number.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2019, 3:12 PM

Tofino, Revelstoke, Nelson in BC among others.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2019, 3:22 PM
HVAC guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by csbvan View Post
Tofino, Revelstoke, Nelson in BC among others.
What you find in BC is that areas close to the really nice lakes, or the ones that are in close proximity to developing ski resorts have definitely attracted investment and residents. The most striking example would probably be Kelowna, which in the past attracted mostly retirees from Alberta, is now attracting west coast money. I don't know how much gentrification is happening in Tofino, it's always been expensive there, there's still not much housing and has attracted mostly the same demographic for decades. Same goes for Nelson, it's also always been expensive, but there's been a relatively limited amount of development and the population isn't growing that much. The million dollar properties in the area are sitting on the market, and I think this is more a reflection of what's going on in Alberta. Revelstoke strikes me as a bit of an outlier, as a few decades ago housing there was dirt cheap and there was literally no development. Nowadays with the ski resort maturing into it's own destination prices in the area have shot up and there's significant new development. So I would consider Revelstoke as gentrifying alongside Kelowna, but maybe not at that rapid pace as there isn't quite the summer draw as the Okanagan destinations. Golden might be another one as Kickinghorse has really brought people and investment to the area, but the town itself I always found to be a little depressing. Not sure if that's changed in the last while. The Columbia Valley would be another area that has attracted a lot of development and interest, mainly due to its proximity to Calgary, although personally I've never really liked the area.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada