HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast

Old Posted Jan 21, 2008, 7:08 PM
America's Mars Rocket

Dolce is now open
The Dolce group is a Los Angeles based restaurant and nightlife team that ranks among the leading hospitality groups in the country.
http://www.dolcegroup.com/

PF Changs today, could be busy

Old Posted Jan 21, 2008, 7:15 PM
America's Mars Rocket

This view is looking east and appears the big bird is using the 12,600 ft runway, the other is 10,000'. The yellow structure is one of the huge gantry cranes, (they have two) and is used to unload freight from trains and trucks. These cranes are massive and from this viewpoint it is about a mile away. The distance between Huntsville's two parallel runways is 5000'

photo by Lexy
http://flickr.com/photos/perspectivephotography/

Old Posted Jan 21, 2008, 9:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVTiger View Post
Dolce is now open
The Dolce group is a Los Angeles based restaurant and nightlife team that ranks among the leading hospitality groups in the country.
http://www.dolcegroup.com/

PF Changs today, could be busy
Have you seen them actually open? The bridgestreet website said there opened was delayed and moved it from Friday to the 22nd.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2008, 9:27 PM
America's Mars Rocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntsville_secede View Post
Have you seen them actually open? The bridgestreet website said there opened was delayed and moved it from Friday to the 22nd.
They had some type of soft opening, so officially it may be tomorrow.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2008, 1:38 PM
America's Mars Rocket

This may be for the condo portion of this downtown project, not sure it is pretty vague. Up on the agenda for the planning commission

CONSTELLATION SUBDIVISION

Final (3 lots) Developer: Constellation, LLC
Engineer: SK International, Inc.

Located: Central City, east of Memorial Parkway and north of Governors Drive

Old Posted Jan 22, 2008, 2:25 PM
America's Mars Rocket

there will be more on this later, but the countdown is on.

"Dr. Neil deGrasse Tyson, an astrophysicist and author, will be the guest speaker. He is director of the Hayden Planetarium at the American Museum of Natural History in New York, but is perhaps best-known as the enthusiastic host of PBS' series "NOVA scienceNOW."

Over the next week a series of talks, museum and TV programs and other special events will showcase the Tennessee Valley's indispensable role in the U.S. space program and will bring other stellar guests to the Rocket City.

The countdown will culminate on the evening of Jan. 31 with a gala dinner, awards ceremony and grand opening of the imposing Davidson Center for Space Exploration at the U.S. Space & Rocket Center.

But legendary CBS newsman and space fan Walter Cronkite, who was to receive a Lifetime Achievement Award at the gala, may not be able to attend, according to Space Center CEO Larry Capps.

"We received word that Mr. Cronkite is ailing and his doctors are advising him against travel," Capps said Monday afternoon.

There is still hope that the 91-year-old Cronkite can attend, "but it doesn't look likely," Capps said.

The Space Center is contacting some of Cronkite's colleagues in broadcasting about the possibility of attending to accept the award on his behalf.

All the special events and the gala are to mark the 50th anniversary of the launch and orbiting of America's first satellite, Explorer I, on Jan. 31, 1958. The 30-pound package of scientific experiments rode into space atop an Army Jupiter-C rocket, designed and managed at Redstone Arsenal by Dr. Wernher von Braun and his team.

Later, after the creation of NASA and Marshall Space Flight Center, that team and many other engineers worked in North Alabama to design and develop the Saturn V rocket, which carried the Apollo astronauts on their odyssey to the lunar surface.

The Davidson Center is the new home for the museum's restored Saturn V, and more than 1,400 guests will dine beneath the giant engines and stages of the moon rocket.

"It's going to be ready," Capps said. "It's just absolutely outstanding."

John Hendricks, a Huntsville native and founder of the Discovery Channel, is chairman for the 50th anniversary event. Guests will include moonwalker Buzz Aldrin, Scott Carpenter, one of America's original seven Mercury astronauts, and many other astronauts, NASA officials and space celebrities.

Carpenter, astronauts Charlie Duke and Tom Stafford, Huntsville's own "Rocket Boys" author Homer Hickam, former members of Von Braun's team and others will also be involved in three panel discussions open to the public for free earlier in the day at the Von Braun Center Concert Hall."

Old Posted Jan 22, 2008, 6:02 PM
America's Mars Rocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVTiger View Post
This may be for the condo portion of this downtown project, not sure it is pretty vague. Up on the agenda for the planning commission

CONSTELLATION SUBDIVISION

Final (3 lots) Developer: Constellation, LLC
Engineer: SK International, Inc.

Located: Central City, east of Memorial Parkway and north of Governors Drive

This also relates to Constellation as it runs right through the development, but it will be completed soon so the impact is minimal if any.
The expected January opening of the new Heart of Huntsville Drive has been pushed back because of unforeseen delays.

The city hopes that work on the new three-lane street from Clinton Avenue to Monroe Street will be completed in March, if not sooner, said Kathy Martin, an engineer in the city Engineering Department.

The completion has been delayed by problems with the weather, the soil, coordinating work with the Huntsville-Madison County Railroad Authority, and coordinating traffic patterns, Martin said.

The city in late 2006 awarded SJ&L General Contractors a $1.2 million contract to rebuild the street to provide a better link between Memorial Parkway and the Embassy Suites Hotel. Heart of Huntsville will intersect Monroe Street at a circle(where the new clock is now) between the hotel and the Huntsville-Madison County Public Library.
keith.clines@htimes.com

Old Posted Jan 22, 2008, 6:42 PM
America's Mars Rocket

This is like a similar project that was done at UAH a couple of years ago. Not sure the status of this is but a planned start was late 2007.

From BidClerk

The project includes construction of eight (8) two level fraternity/sorority houses and one community building with associated roads, sidewalks, signage, underground utilities and site improvements. Each fraternity/sorority house is approximately 11,000 SF and the community building is approximately 6,250 SF. The project will be located south of the Normal Hills' student apartments on the campus of Alabama A&M University and west of Meridian Street in Huntsville, Alabama on a 14.5 acre site.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2008, 1:14 PM
America's Mars Rocket

From last nights planning meeting

"The downtown building height limit, which had tougher restrictions near historic districts and immediately adjacent neighborhoods, was sent back to a subcommittee for further review after some developers expressed concern it might impede growth.

Randy Schrimsher and Scott McLain said while they agree with a need for buffer zones to protect historic districts, planners need to move cautiously on setting height limits. Councilman Mark Russell urged planners to consider the downtown neighborhoods from encroachment of tall buildings.

Schrimsher said there are probably only a handful of sites in core downtown that could accommodate a really tall building."
HSV Times

Sounds like something is in the planning stage but until we see something this is just talk.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2008, 3:29 PM

I would love to see a 40 floor (or higher) building go up in Huntsville.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2008, 5:29 PM
Burming Hammer

^ me too... i'm tired of this height limit crap. there are only a few places in the cbd that truly border a residential neighborhood.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2008, 9:21 PM

As I understand it, the courthouse is about as tall and heavy a building can get above Big Springs Park/Maple Hill. Maple Hill has too many caves to support anything bigger. If that is true, it would seem the place to build your skyscrapers is west of Church Street... and north of Williams or south of Lowe. I'm no engineer, of course, and that is only what I've heard.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2008, 9:38 PM

Height limits should only be used in a case by case basis. Considering how expensive land is downtown and the limited space, developers might be turned off from investing there by a height limit. I agree, we shouldn't have 20-story condo towers right next to Old Town, but I don't think a blanket limit is the answer to solving that problem.

And about that 40-story tower that some of you guys want- I guess I'm more for density than height, but I would rather see lots of 10-20 story buildings than have just a couple of 10-15 story buildings (like we do now) and one 40-story tower. It just wouldn't look right.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2008, 9:39 PM
America's Mars Rocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvingardns View Post
As I understand it, the courthouse is about as tall and heavy a building can get above Big Springs Park/Maple Hill. Maple Hill has too many caves to support anything bigger. If that is true, it would seem the place to build your skyscrapers is west of Church Street... and north of Williams or south of Lowe. I'm no engineer, of course, and that is only what I've heard.
That is an urban myth, not true. The VBC was actually built in on a swamp/wetland. Pilings go at least 80' down I think. There is a way to access the caves under the courthouse, there was a news report about it a while back.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2008, 2:50 PM

There are many, many caves under the downtown area. They can be accessed by a manhole cover in front of the old county medial office. As a bored teenager, my friends and I went exploring in there often. How tall is the power line tower just east of the Pway near Governors Drive? That structure dominates the horizon driving north or south on the Pway.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2008, 3:15 PM
America's Mars Rocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanHunt View Post
There are many, many caves under the downtown area. They can be accessed by a manhole cover in front of the old county medial office. As a bored teenager, my friends and I went exploring in there often. How tall is the power line tower just east of the Pway near Governors Drive? That structure dominates the horizon driving north or south on the Pway.
I would like to hear stories about that
What's it like?

Old Posted Jan 24, 2008, 3:49 PM

I find it unusual that Huntsville is actually the headquarters for the National Speleological Society. http://www.caves.org/

The HQ is located on Cave Drive near the country club.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2008, 5:32 PM
America's Mars Rocket

Mellow Mushroom ? Word is floating around that they will set up shop
at Providence. Probably in the new building going up.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2008, 5:46 PM
Burming Hammer

^nice. i enjoy their locations here in birmingham.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2008, 7:05 PM

Hey Tiger, how do you know all this stuff?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast