HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Apr 11, 2012, 4:23 PM

That amount is considered "cosmetic" in today's market when it concerns anchor spaces, at least from their perspective. Also, in the due diligence phase, Target opted out of many of the older stores still in existence and I am aware of one instance where they were coaxed into taking all of the Zellers stores in one landlord's portfolio when the landlord sweetened the deal and agreed to retrofit the Zellers space for them in one particularly (a B to C class Shopping Centre) old store.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2012, 5:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
KENILWORTH AVE INVESTMENT INC. / REDCLIFF REALTY MGMT CORPORATION
Permit # 12-103415-00 R9
1211 BARTON ST E HAMILTON
Super Market
10961.00 sq ft
$4,575,500.00

I'm guessing this is the Wal-Mart
The WalMart permit was issued last month

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbarbera View Post
Building Permit 11-121934-00

Retail Complex/Plaza/Mall New Construction

To construct a sprinklered 8255m² retail store "WALMART SUPERCENTRE" at the Centre Complex.

1115 BARTON ST. E Bldg Z HAMILTON ON L8H 4A7

Construction Value $7,751,600.00

Old Posted Jun 1, 2012, 9:37 PM

I was by the new Wallmart site today. Looks like all of the steel structure is up and about 75% of the roof is on. It looks like it will be ready for a fall opening.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2012, 5:07 PM

While out and about this weekend, I noticed a couple of "coming soon" signs on empty lots here. Marshalls is going into the new building to be built next to Metro, and The Brick is going in a building to be built between Zellers/Target and Staples.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2012, 5:32 AM

Is there any pics of what The Centre on Barton looks like now?

Old Posted Oct 4, 2012, 8:59 AM
Hammer'd

http://raisethehammer.org/article/16..._tao_of_lunch_

There's a few there from a couple of weeks ago, I believe. Just a generic big box complex with a sea of parking in the middle. The "old" Zellers is now gutted and being turned into a Target. The Walmart looks almost finished.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Oct 4, 2012, 1:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt602 View Post
Just a generic big box complex with a sea of parking in the middle. The "old" Zellers is now gutted and being turned into a Target. The Walmart looks almost finished.
And ugly too. Just did a walk from the Active Green & Ross on Ottawa ST N., over to the Tim Horton's in the mall by Kenilworth.

Spent the vast majority of my time walking on asphalt. This is not pedestrian friendly at all. Just a vast sea of asphalt with the occasional (cracked) sidewalk, some of which just end nowhere forcing you to step out into traffic.

Terrible, terrible design. Saw more than a few older locals trying to walk to certain stores, some with canes, others with small carts, most of whom were cutting across parking spaces and roadways.

They blew it.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2013, 2:20 PM
It's Hammer Time

Target opens tomorrow.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2018, 6:26 PM

Giant Tiger
New Store Openings
1211 Barton Street East Hamilton, ON
October 13, 2018

Apparently this is the ex Target store.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2018, 6:53 PM

LOL...I love the last 2 posts in this discussion. Nothing in between.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2018, 8:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRTfan View Post
LOL...I love the last 2 posts in this discussion. Nothing in between.
Ha!

This dump of a "mall" is going from bad to worse.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2018, 5:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtohamilton View Post
Ha!

This dump of a "mall" is going from bad to worse.
Why do you say that? It's a terrible layout but it's certainly not a dump.

Giant Tiger is a Canadian success and Goodlife Fitness's Fit4Less is moving in too.
Spec Article

Old Posted Jan 26, 2018, 5:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NortheastWind View Post
Why do you say that? It's a terrible layout but it's certainly not a dump.

Giant Tiger is a Canadian success and Goodlife Fitness's Fit4Less is moving in too.
Spec Article
This isn't a mall. It's a suburban power centre dumped into an urban setting. Giant Tiger is just one more discount store. I'm very surprised that Dollarama doesn't have an exclusive deal with the power centre owners.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2018, 8:08 PM

This place is a total joke.
Cities that don't have their heads up their backsides are transforming malls and box stores into proper urban hoods....Hamilton can never do this tho because height NIMBYs

http://torontostoreys.com/2016/09/ga...odel-approach/

Old Posted Jan 28, 2018, 4:28 PM

Thought id come here to see postive posts about a canadian success story filling the void left by a failed American entrant..... i was wrong

Much rather have a canadian retailer like giant tiger move in rather than wal mart. Also goodlife moving there is welcome news. The area needs a viable gym option.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2018, 5:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by king10 View Post
Thought id come here to see postive posts about a canadian success story filling the void left by a failed American entrant..... i was wrong

Much rather have a canadian retailer like giant tiger move in rather than wal mart...
Thing is, brands exploit nationalism because it improves the bottom line. Even when the ownership changes they continue to milk it, like Tim Hortons, now owned by a private-equity firm in Brazil.

So forgive me if I don't care who owns Giant Tiger. I'll bet their customers don't care either. It's a private company.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2018, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtohamilton View Post
Thing is, brands exploit nationalism because it improves the bottom line. Even when the ownership changes they continue to milk it, like Tim Hortons, now owned by a private-equity firm in Brazil.

So forgive me if I don't care who owns Giant Tiger. I'll bet their customers don't care either. It's a private company.
I care. Its privately owned by a canadian unlike tim hortons. . You’re forgiven for not caring though.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2021, 11:35 PM
Ham-burgher

I've seen a few malls touted as "Canada's first" -- perhaps this was the first that was not completely enclosed?

I remember most of the Centre Mall from the late 1970s onward quite well.

Canada’s first Mall: 75,000 were there when shopping history was made in Hamilton

The Hamilton Spectator
Sat., July 10, 2021

https://www.thespec.com/life/local-h...-hamilton.html

In 1955, Hamilton became home to the first mall in Canada where you could shop year round.

The official opening of the Greater Hamilton Shopping Centre (now The Centre on Barton) took place on Oct. 26, 1955, although the mall was not yet complete, three years after the Greater Hamilton Shopping Centre Inc. acquired the property that originally housed the Hamilton Jockey Club.

Shopping history in Hamilton was made when about 75,000 people came to look around the new mall on the day it opened.

Because walkways to protect shoppers from the elements made year-round shopping possible, many top-of-the-line retailers were eager to be involved. Cost of the completed Shopping Centre was more than $18 million.

The first large retailer to sign on was Simpsons-Sears with a two-storey building containing 200,000 square feet of floor space.

In 1954, there were more than 300 applications for space in the shopping centre.

One of the biggest selling features for the centre was that it had parking spaces for 7,000 cars.

The Dominion Store officially opened April 21, 1955. It was the seventh Dominion Store in Hamilton and the 13th store in Eastern Canada constructed since 1949. This store had 17 checkout counters, the largest number of any Dominion store in Hamilton.

Floor space of the various shopping units was nearly 500,000 square feet. When the main shopping section was completed, it had about 60 stores.

There was a rubber-tired trolley system for conveying the shoppers around the 41-acre shopping area. Fares were 10¢ or there were trading tickets that were issued by the merchants.

The Farmers’ Market at the Centre began operations in June 1956 in the parking area to the north of the mall.

For the 10th anniversary of the Greater Hamilton Shopping Centre‘s opening, a $1-million renewal project was announced in June 1965.

In October 1972, plans to completely enclose the mall were unveiled at a cost of $2 million. It was shortly after this renovation that the name of the mall was officially changed to Centre Mall.

In January 1983, 44 new stores were added at a cost of $10.5 million which would include a new K-Mart department store and the newly renovated and expanded Mall Cinemas which became the largest cinemas in Canada in terms of seating capacity, with 2,400 seats in eight houses.

In October 2001, the Centre Mall Cinemas closed when their lease was terminated.

In September 2003, the mall was put up for sale and was bought by the Canada Pension Plan (CPP) Investment Board and Osmington Inc.

In 2005, a $100-million plan to rejuvenate the 50-year-old facility was announced.

In May 2006, it was announced that the old mall would be demolished for a new urban power centre.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2021, 7:29 AM
Hammer'd

"urban" power centre.

riiiight.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Jul 13, 2021, 1:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt602 View Post
"urban" power centre.

riiiight.
Ironically Centre Mall is the blight much of Hamilton tried to remove in the late 20th century.

Centre on Barton is a failure of a city to propose something phased that has real potential. I was glad to see that the entire Centre on Barton is zoned for high density. My hope would be that the entire lot be proposed with a planned community, in phased construction, similar to Shoppers World.

Follow me on Twitter: https://x.com/ham_bicycleguy?t=T_fx3...SIZNGfD4A&s=09

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues